Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Why aren't you using a real mouse? I don't know any serious Mac users who keep the Apple mouse.

As said, though, Blender is the only good free 3d package on OSX. The new interface is better, but it's still Blender. I keep breaking the UI in the first few minutes and can never figure out how to get it back without restarting, haha.

Another fairly cheap(for a 3D app) is Cheetah3D. It's very straightforward and uncluttered. Basically the exact opposite of Blender. I love using it, but it is missing some features you may be used to in other packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Had that happen to us a few times, too, and we solved it the same way. I'm sure there's better way, but at the time it was the most straightforward fix.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I like how demos are basically real-time motion graphics or animated shorts at this point.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Does anyone have any good recommendations for current game art workflow tutorials in Maya? Specifically high to low-poly normal baking, game-oriented unwrapping/UVing, stuff like that? I've been going through the links in the OP like a good person should, but having little success finding quality, relevant information.

For background, I work at a startup simulation(think industrial, not entertainment) company and our main art guy bailed recently. I've been reassigned to pick up what he left. I've been a Max user since back in the Kinetix days, but have mostly been doing non-art related things for the past couple years. I haven't touched Maya since college and remember nothing about it, let alone modern work guidelines. Preference for free over pay, but either is fine. Free just means I don't have to go through purchase requests and all that annoyance.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
David OReilly is probably the most important independent animator working right now, IMO.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

wayfinder posted:

My question was purely mechanical... is he influential? Do people with more financial resources copy his style? Is he an animator's animator? What defines "important" in that statement?

Purely my opinion. It's based on what he's doing, the fact that he's doing it alone*, his style, the notoriety he's received, his age, the fact that nobody is copying it with a bigger budget. Lots of reasons. Don't get too hung up on it if you don't agree.

*Go find a handful of student shorts that you've really enjoyed from the past 6-8 years. I'd bet there's a good chance that none of them are producing their own work right now.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

schmuckfeatures posted:

Seriously though. Does anyone consider this stuff to be in any way close to what Don Hertzfeldt was doing? This is like the 4chan MSPaint equivalent of Hertzfeldt. O'Reilly doesn't have anywhere near the level of artistic ability and social commentary that Hertzfeldt had. He's a pale imitator, to say the least.

For chrissakes, this guy's entire repertoire consists of "HEY GUYS ISN'T THIS RANDOM! RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM ***~~~FARTZZZ~~~***" and he doesn't seem to have anything more to say than that. To call him the most important figure in animation today is a loving insult to people like Gilliam and Plympton and Hertzfeldt, and just about every other recent animator who actually made something that meant something.

Gilliam and Plympton were game changers decades ago. Hertzfeldt was a big deal 10 years ago. I think OReilly is a big deal right now. Both times I've commented on this, I've stated it as my opinion. I really like the guy's work a lot and I think he's extremely interesting. You seem to be getting really riled up about this, so I'm sorry for even saying anything in the first place.

I understand that you don't really like his latest work, but go watch Please Say Something and Black Lake and tell me he's all about "Random" and stupid 4chan stuff.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
One of the things that I think has changed for the better is access. 15 years ago, if you didn't work in the industry or live in LA or NY, you'd never see or even hear of any of the nominated shorts outside of the awards broadcast. Whether it's on DVD, YouTube or some other video site or a torrent megapack, I can watch all of them easily.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
It's a design issue, really. If you show the entire product, as-built, you have to move the camera back. If you move the camera back, you can't show as much detail of the product itself which makes it a less effective advertisement. I think it's fine. In addition to making the rocks dirtier, I'd actually thin out the grass roots and maybe make them a little darker as well. They, along with the rocks, draw too much attention to themselves right now. The grass itself looks great.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Rasselas posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to import from .dwf files back into Max? Seems like the purpose of the format is to discourage that, but I was wondering if there was some trick anyway.

AnyDWG will do it, but the trial is limited to 15 uses and the retail version is pricey for something you'll only use once or twice. Assuming it's a 3D file and not a set of plans, you could also try something like 3D Ripper DX, but what it spits out may not conform exactly to the original file. Don't rely on it for exact measurements, etc.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Is it a confidential file? If not, I'd be happy to take a crack at it for you. Won't be able to report back until later this evening, at the earliest, though.

Unrelated, but here's a cool tool I ran across yesterday: http://pixexix.sophiehoulden.com/
Simple way of doing projection painting for your models. I know the functionality is similar in other more robust apps, Blender and 3DCoat have similar tools, but I usually like going with simpler programs that focus on one thing :)

DefMech fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 19, 2011

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Just bumping this question cause I have a birthday coming up and I'm wondering if it's worth putting on my wish list. I kinda get carpal tunnely problems after using Maya for hours and it seems like this would cut back on a lot of mouse dragging, but I've never actually held one of these in person. Any thoughts?

I hate to give such a vague answer, but you may or may not like it. And even if you do like it, you may not use it all that much. I wanted one of these for ages and finally won one as a door prize a few years ago. It mostly just sits behind my monitor, unplugged and gathering dust. More than anything, I pull it out to use on models that have areas which are hard to get into. The kinds of nooks and crannies that the normal mouse+kb controls aren't agile enough to work around. The puck can let you ease in and rotate around some of those problem areas much more gracefully. That said, it's still basically just another mouse that you use on the other side of the keyboard. I found myself switching my hand back and forth an awful lot and it got annoying and disrupted productivity. Mine has a few buttons on it, but they aren't ergonomic enough to keep me from using the keyboard equivalent. I certainly don't want to get rid of mine, but for someone who doesn't have one already, I'd go with the crowd and suggest trying a tablet instead, especially if there are RSI concerns.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

spottedfeces posted:

Does anyone know why, in the top left corner, the shadows are jagged along the surface?

The shadows seem to break over the edges of my faces, and if I mesh-smooth the building it fixes it somewhat, but I've never had that problem before.

This is in Maya.

Could you do another render of that area, but closer up and with the wires overlaid? It's hard to get a good look at that res and see what's going on. Other than the geometry for the ring whose shadow is distorted being messed up(and deleting + recreating it), the first thing that comes to mind is that the cylindrical building behind it is too low-poly. The edges for the wall sections might not be aligned to the sections of the ring, leaving places where the wall mesh juts out a bit closer and breaks the smooth edge of the shadow. I'm not really convinced that this is the case, though. Have you tried throwing other pieces of geometry up there and seeing how their shadows come out? That would at least help you narrow down what piece is causing the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

spottedfeces posted:

My current fix is to just smooth the object, but I'm interested to know if there's another solution. I tried another object, and the shadows didn't change. No other shadows cast by other objects seem to be screwed up, so I'm guessing it's the ring. Sorry I didn't put the wireframe overlay, as I'm not sure how to do that. You can sort of see where the mesh is from the close up, though.

If you don't want to mess with the building, you could try rebuilding the ring based on the building's geometry. That way, any of the edges that are distorting the shadow will be directly aligned with the edges in the ring. You'd still probably have a non-smooth profile for the ring's shadow, but the facets might be less jarring.