Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

ceebee posted:

Last time I used Max the 64bit version was a bit more unstable than the 32bit version.

I'm using the 64 bit version of Max 9 on one of my work computers and it always crashes and gives me an error log message when I close it. :doh: I wouldn't be able to use the 32 bit version for the stuff I'm working on. I'm hoping we upgrade to 2009 or 2010 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A5H posted:

It also blows my mind that there are students that cough up 20k for a model. What the hell.

And I thought the couple hundred my old college use to require students to spend to professionally bind a large artbook/portfolio of their work for graduation was ridiculous.

No offense or anything but usually the models you make in college sort of suck and after you have a professional job for 3 months you look back at your old work in horror. I couldn't imagine spending 20k on anything I modeled in college. I don't have anything now that I'd be willing to fork that much over.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just got laid off so I'm going to be spending lots of time in this thread as I work on my portfolio!

The lay off really blind sided me. I have some stuff from work, but I'm not really happy with it so I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I made a bucket! I'm pretty pleased with it. I kept fussing with it and had to just tell myself to call it done.

Click here for the full 1024x800 image.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

GFBeach posted:

Nice bucket! How did you get the rope pattern on the normal map? Was that sculpted?

Also, did you used to work at Icarus? I heard they cut their staff pretty heavily just this past week. I talked with the art director at TGC and was trying to get a job there, but it looks like there's no chance of that happening now.

Do you mean the twisty part in the normal map or the texture in the diffuse map?

Yes. Icarus :sigh: Who was it you talked to? Was it Devo?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

GFBeach posted:

The twisty part on the normal map.

The guy I talked to was Chris. I gave him my demo reel and he said he'd forward it to their head animation guy, but I guess it's a moot point now.

The twisty part I modeled high poly and did a render to texture in max. It was actually pretty easy. I had 4 cylinders next to each other, put a twist modifier on it to twist them together, used a bend modifier to get it in a loop and an FFD to fit it into shape better.

Chris is a great guy and very knowledgeable. Our whole animation department is gone so don't expect to be contacted back any time soon. Sorry. :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My situation is pretty....manic right now. I won't go into details here, but I have to get a portfolio as best as I can done by the end of the week.

The bucket was a warm up since I haven't worked on anything high poly at work in a long time. All the experience I've had with it recently is stuff I've been messing with at home, but nothing really solid.

My team primarily worked on 3d iphone games and cut scenes. I am definitely qualified to be a lead artist on a mobile or handheld game. I can get some great looking art out of very little and have it be super efficient. I'm not going for a lead art on any of the higher end stuff. I'm trying to move into the higher end stuff, but if I have to get another job doing iphone or DS type games then I'll take it.

My art team was really bizarre. The poo poo we had to work on and what was asked of me was really weird. I'll talk about it on AIM, but I don't want to derail this thread.

Here's a piece from my old job that I put together. It has an actual diffuse and spec started on it, but I never got to finish it. The silhouette is pretty dull and it could be a little more dynamic, but it was suppose to fit in a certain area and it would have been good for what it was suppose to be. Oh well. I hope to finish the texturing this week. I might try to reproject the normal map as well.

Click here for the full 800x1024 image.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be going on with this 3ds max 2010 problem:

When unwrapping, instead of the edges being white, they're a grey. Almost the same grey as the background color. The seam lines still show up as green. This has happened since it was installed so its not like anything what changed. Going in and trying to define the line color as white doesn't change is. Is it a video card issue? Its a hard problem to google for.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Game Artisans is pretty good.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

One thing I've been looking into recently is modelling environments, specifically buildings. I've seen some of the awesome work in this thread and I've realised that when I make a building, I tend to essentially end up with a textured cube. Are there any resources that you guys use to learn to model much more advanced buildings?

Check this out it might help you out a bit. When I make buildings I try to break them up into modular pieces. http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/Building_Layout_Guideline_Tutorial.html

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone in here use blender 2.5+? I have a quick question about how they do their unwrap that I can't seem to find by googling.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Watchlar posted:

Thanks for the pointers, I'm still learning my way around sculpting. This is pretty much the first time I'm doing it with any serious intent, so I tried polypainting for shits and giggles. Few minutes of dicking around here to figure it out.

E: this always happens, poo poo ends up totally different from my initial idea

If you're going for human anatomy, your lower body is whack. Your hips and thighs need some messing with. With thighs that big, they would be touching, and the hips would be larger. The hips might actually be ok if you adjust where the legs are.

Your shins might also be off from the side. They're too far back compared to the knee and how the upper leg is angled.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are there any photogrammetry threads floating around these boards?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yay! What software do you use? I use Reality Capture. Here is some of the stuff I've poked at:
https://sketchfab.com/Lief3D

I have a Kress Foundation grant right now to try to come up with a practical workflow for capturing roughness/specular in a more automatic way.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I teach it at a community college to students in the game development department I'm in. Reality Capture feels really suited for game development vs the others I tried. It also gave me the best results. It's pure coincidence I chose it and Epic ended up purchasing it. I'm hoping to have some time soon to play around with the Unreal 5 engine and photogrammetry. I am trying to build up my consulting work to do more photogrammetry. I have a part time one going right now. If I can get more work I can get out of teaching full time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I believe it does, but I don't use that. I bake the base color into the vertex color on the high poly -> export fbx to zbrush and make a cleaner high poly and transfer the detail onto it -> create low poly -> take both into Substance Painter and bake the vertex color and normal from the high poly onto the low poly.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The art team I am on for a current game project is modeling program agnostic. We just need to export fbxes. I'm one of two Maya users. The rest use Blender. I'll probably make the jump to Blender in the next year so I don't have to build another subscription.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

I sometimes worry about employability outside my current small vfx/animation studio running max, I pretty much only model in max, but as you say modelling can be pretty agnostic. I mostly use ZBrush anyway which is used all over and I've done retop in Maya and blender.

My only hesitation to move off Maya is I can unwrap so incredibly fast in it.

worms butthole guy posted:

Woah a 3DCG thread, had no idea!
Over the past month i've made it a personal hobby to learn Maya. I don't aspire to work in it professionally since i'm a pretty bad artist but I like the idea of just tooling around and being able to make something for fun.

Thanks Goons

If this is just a hobby, consider switching to Blender since it is free. The techniques are still the same.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wish I knew more Houdini than I do. I so far learned it just enough to be able to teach it to students in an intro to tech art class. Maybe someday I'll have more time to delve in deeper. My focus has mostly been on the modeling aspect of it. Its such a vast program. SideFX themselves has some good resources to get started: https://www.sidefx.com/learn/getting_started/

I'd recommend this one myself: https://vimeo.com/286242796

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Houdini is more like a program where you set up 3d model generators. The first project I have my students do is to create a rock generator. It's great for game assets if you need a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be crazy unique.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm really freaking happy zbrush has moved into a pay by month model finally. It's made it more accessible to me and I am adding it to my pipeline. I'm also going to be able to feel less guilty teaching it to my students because their "student licenses" in the past have been insulting. I have downloading the new modeling tool from Adobe, but I haven't had the opportunity to even open it yet.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just bought a year of Maya LT about a month ago. I'm hoping to transition to Blender by the end of it. It's hard to transition software when you're in the middle of a busy project though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbw7iaJ5E4

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What software are you using for your scan data?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Especially when you're trying to get a model ready to take over to zbrush!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The chromatic abberation effect you're using doesn't match the style you might see in old photos. It looks more like the type you'd see in older recordings if things are moving really fast.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could experiment with Dynamesh in zbrush.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cross postin' from the chicken thread. I'm remaking my photogrammetry guide website for my students. This is my example object:

Edit: I paid my 9 year old 50 cents a full captured rotation to shoot it. He was very thrilled to use my remotes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The project I am working on has been interesting because myself and my friend who got me into the project are the most senior artists by far. Its a weird feeling!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What is the end purpose for the cube?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unreal brushes are 100% not a modeling tool.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its been a while since I've been in blender, but every 3d program that I know of has a grid you can turn on.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've been using Maya LT for my contract work since I am most comfortable with it and its not as expensive as 3ds max. I just saw that they are getting rid of Maya LT in favor of Maya Creative....which is token based. Each day you use it, you pay for a token for 24 hours. That is not great for my anxiety. Some days I might only need to open it for 10 minutes to look at something and I'd be thinking if it was worth it to spend a token. Guess I'll be learning blender. Sucks I have all these maya lt files that will never be openable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm glad their photogrammetry software is trash so I can just not use them professionally anymore. Now I just need to convince my college that we should teach students Blender instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Looks like textures.com has changed their pricing and no longer offers free credits a day. This is a little frustrating because I was using this as a resource for students to practice with creating textures from images. Does anyone know of any good resources for this? I know of pexels.com. Are there any others?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I feel like we will get the ability for things to handle millions of vertecies and just store that info in the vertex before we get amazing and cheap auto unwraps. I already just use vertex color for my high poly photogrammetry models over an unwrap. Just need a few more channels and we can pack in the other maps and ditch normal maps all together.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When I make "game ready assets" with photogrammetry, I still manually unwrap my cleaned up assts because I usually have to fix the texture in certain areas. Sometimes its easier to pop that sucker into photoshop and clone stamp the hell out of it.

Edit: While we are on this topic, I am moving into Blender. What are some good auto unwrapping options for me? Lets imagine I have to unwrap a 100k tri statue and it has to be nice because I have to fix things on the material.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I already use Substance (I bake vertex colors from my high end onto my lower poly models) The issue is sometimes I don't get a great capture and areas will be "really hosed up" and it can be easier to fix the normal map and base color in painter.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

$35 a month is a little steep for me to pay for unwrapping tools (I also look for things I can teach my students and I wouldn't want them spending that money)

The hosed up-ness comes from the bake because the area didn't capture well or I couldn't physically capture part of it.

Edit: Here's one of the projects I'm a part of!: https://sketchfab.com/ncmaexplore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Since we're only concerned about base color / normal for 99% of the items, It can be faster for me to fix them in photoshop if its really wonky than trying to use clone / paint / project tools in Substance. I need a nicer unwrap to do that.

How well do the moasic unwrap work with Unreal's nanite or LODing in general? That would be my other concern.