Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ElecHeadMatt posted:

Holy gently caress, been off the grid for a while now (moved out to San Francisco and started the new job :hellyeah: ) and this thread is like the supercharged full tilt cokehead older brother of the old one and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Also, redesigned the portfolio site and am always looking for feedback (it is a continuous work in progress of course)

http://mattburdette.com

Those who have started new jobs, how are people digging it so far? I am loving loving the hell out of mine.

That demo reel is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stuckeys posted:

Wow, that's an awesome OP. I've been working on my first full fledged character model for many long and frustrating hours over the last couple of weeks. Spent a lot more time on the head than the body, but that picture in the OP helped a crap load. The second is the concept, which, as I realized once I started modelling, has a lot of accessories that don't really make sense. I think I'll just repaint it retroactively after finishing the model.

ElecHeadMatt - HOW are you still in college. That is a very professional looking site & portfolio. What's the music from?

Looks nice so far. The concept is really interesting. I'd say the head is too big, and watch those cool gaiter things, they are too narrow currently.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
First thing you want to do is make sure you know what texture resolutions to use. On the game I worked on a prop would normally have a maximum of 64x64 with 16 colours. On some better props you can use 256 colours. Index these down with photoshop, so the first thing you'll notice is it can be a bitch to get the texture looking nice. Say if you're making a prop you'd normally be allowed like 200 triangles or something. Characters more like 1k depending on how many you have on screen.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Welp, back to sculpting. Still a little soft and lumpy in places, but coming along nicely.

edit: The neck and ears are terrible now that I look at them.
edit2: and fixed

There's someone about his face that's getting to me. I think its a little flat. Looking nice though.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
My mudbox trial has run out but I still really want to use it at work (for learning and portfolio, not profit). Its about £150 for the learning edition which is a lot of money so its a tough decision but zbrush looks like even more money and I didn't really get in to using it.

Does anyone know the best way to buy these products or well I'm not really sure specifically what kind of advice I'm looking for; I just feel like I need some advice.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

This would be a fantastic front page for a portfolio website. The rest of the content could show up in the background.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just got a new computer and I'm trying to install my programs on it. Its a 64 bit and I was having problems with vista 64 bit so I've installed XP 64, and photopshop won't even load the setup. Everything that I can find on google says it doesn't have a 64 bit version, but I get the idea it should just run the 32 bit version. Has anyone else had this problem with 64 bit and any 3d/art packages?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm making an animal and putting the mouth in but as I've never found a decent way to do this I just do it as I'm going. I'd love to show you a render but its work stuff so I'm not allowed I guess sorry.

I've extruded the mouth in to create a cavity, then made some simple gums with teeth and put them inside. It all seems very clumsy to me. especially when it comes to unwrapping and rigging. Any ideas?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just ignore that stuff. Heading to university is definitely the right move in my opinion. It looks good on a CV, you'll get some good experience and you have a few years to really think what you want to do. Don't do any work for anyone for free unless its a Mod, someone you know, an internship or test piece for an interview. (There are probably others). Also I'd advice anyone out of university to apply to places direct as many agencies don't really seem to care!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Back at work after a 3 week vacation and I find this on my desk. Pity about the reviews ;)

Anyone got any swag other than t-shirts/hoodies recently? I think the last weird thing I got was a can of "Bruce Juice" for the Edward Norton hulk movie.

I thought Sucker Punch was pretty drat awful, but the VFX were top notch.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EoinCannon posted:

I'm self taught, though I did a one year course which gave me time to do a short film if not much else. I would recommend going to school for 3d stuff if there's a reputable one that you can go too. I want to quit my job and go do an art course.

The mime guy is looking cool, it has character, you should try and give him eyelids though. They will go a long way when conveying emotions.

I've done some more work on this guy.
The beanie is sitches arrayed and formed onto the head.
Needs slightly more reflection into the eyes

Absolutely fantastic man. You should (pleeease) post a step-by-step tutorial so I can steal your identity.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Also I don't think he's fully focussing. He seems to be sort of day dreaming or glazed over, if you made him focus right at the camera or perhaps something off shot it might look a tiny bit better. It just seems a tiny bit off. I'm literally picking holes though its awesome.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

spottedfeces posted:

How's it lookin'?

Looking great but I'd personally change the camera angle. You're showing far too much boring floor. I know why you've done it, to frame the character in the middle, but you can always lower the camera and angle it upwards, which will help to make the character seem more powerful and menacing.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Finally finished my showreel. It's my first, so feedback (gentle, maybe) is very welcome! It's mostly game level design with a little regular animation added.

Should it be shorter? Take some stuff out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaQWMRiCzM

The guys have already done a fantastic job of critiquing this but just as a personal frivolous note I'd say don't make your neon sign flicker. When I saw that I thought "oops.. so it's kind of broken/neglected" which isn't really something you want to say about a showreel!

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 1, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tutorials or experience of creating hair for a next gen character? I know the principles but it would be really good to get some decent advice/ref.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
A good thing to do is get video footage or even film yourself and match up the speed because almost invariably when new to animating your work will be slow and floaty.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mister Anarchy posted:

This is a cross-post from the UDK thread.

I've been working my rear end off on this game and I think it's coming along nicely. It's getting near to completion and next week I'll be able to test it on my iphone (I hope).

Here are some screenshots and a teaser video, I'd like to get some of your impressions please!

The game is a physics puzzle game, just think Angry Birds but in 3D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOknEH7qL8U

I think this looks pretty promising. With some work people will definitely buy it.

A few things though:

The style to me seems confused. It doesn't know if it wants to be cartoony or realistic. You have very big cell-shading going on and tons of very black black but then quite realistic texturing which is quite artifacted. Personally I'd retexture it as that's by far your weakest thing. You're using a lot of photos for texture which has problems because they will never really gel together. They all have different light sources and contrast and combined with the black cell-shading and texture stretching looks wrong.

I'd personally reign in the cell-shading a little, making the edge thinner, re-texture everything with paint-overs to bring the colours and brightness more in line with each other and have a nice painterly feel. A good example of this is your toadstools. The shape is nice, the primary colours are nice but the textures have so much going on it looks messy.

I'd also reduce the lighting contrast down a bit and make your shadows less harsh as combined with the cell-shading it makes stuff look burnt.

One other thing; you could definitely do with more sounds. Angry Birds has tons of wood breaking sounds so it doesn't sound too repetitive. I'm not saying you can compete with them but I did hear a lot of repetition.

I hope you don't think I've been too critical. I think it shows a lot of promise. I'd just really try and work in as much polish as you can because the IOS market is brutal.

I love the music.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

I'm pimping my new stuff on my portfolio.

It's my last week at school and i'm going to be looking for work right around now so i'm really looking forward to what you guys think of what I have done!

http://polycritters.carbonmade.com/

Looking good so far. First thing that jumps out at me is your really should texture up your models. Nice high-poly models but you need to make them in to game props with textures in my opinion. Most places now won't really be looking for just a modeller.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Looks a billion times better. I still think there's something missing from the 2nd shot. It looks overcast or something. I'd brighten it up or put in more yellow and other hues. Maybe some nice purple in to the grass as well or something. It just looks too bland. Still, you've really improved it.

Is the black out-lining dependent on object size by the way? Because your larger objects seem to have larger outlining. Would look better uniform.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
When baking down a high poly I'm having a few problems making a lighting map (to use as an overlay on my diffuse). It keeps coming out half-black and really patchy even though the normal looks pretty good. Anyone have any idea?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I always used to put a skylight in, and render out a lighting map and use that to help me texture. Just using max's default render to texture function with the cage. It seems to be a bit weird right now though.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Got a really strange Max2010 bug at work. One of the guy's pc here is centring the pivot on meshes when he loads in the max file. We always set our pivots to 0,0,0 here, but his, and only his pc seems to change that. His co-ords still say 0,0,0 but graphically the gizmo is centred and it seems to corrupt the file when exporting it, as if it were centred. We just loaded up the same max file and on mine its at 0, and on his its in the middle!

Re-install time?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Either that or duplicate the mesh, use a push modifier to push it out a tiny bit in all directions and apply a wireframe texture to that mesh. Or I'm sure there's a shader out there that does it.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

The texture is that low because this is supposed to run on the iPad at 30+fps, as you guessed!

The texture is definitely not using as much of detail as the resolution allows though, so I'll work on that.

They're coming from behind, it's mainly to give a stronger sensation of movement due to the wind.

I think it looks really cool and it's a neat idea. The only thing I'd say is that the environment is a tiny bit boring. It needs something in there like foliage or water or something to make it more visually stimulating. Great so far though.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

SODA CAN FOR SODA.

TF2?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
One thing I've noticed is that feathers on wings are really quite large. There are flight feathers so they will be the whole wing themselves.

Personally I wouldn't be doing it with hair and fur.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm a lead artist at a small studio, so I only really lead 4 or 5 other people but I do a fair amount of 3d myself. As much as any of the other artists really so that's good as I do enjoy it. I think If I were at a larger company though I'd have less time to do art. It does seem like art directors and up don't really make many assets but I guess when you're responsible for the overall look and feel of the game to that extent you have a bit of influence on every asset created. But yeah, currently at my studio I schedule myself in to do about the same as everyone else.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm having some trouble baking out a high poly sphere on to a low. The normal map has weird seams like one of the channels is flipped?

I've used both 3ds Max and X Normal and got the same problem.

That's a bake out from the high to the low, on a spherized cube. Why am I getting seams like that! :(

Edit: And now in the viewer half of it is coming out inside out :psyduck:

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 29, 2011

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to hide them? I guess the real problem though is the inverting. I didn't change any default settings in max or xnormal so I haven't intentionally flipped any channels. What do you mean normals unified? :v: I reset the xform like every few minutes so that's all fine if that's what you mean.

Unfortunately this ball's meant to spin, and that's where I'm really seeing the problems emerge.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks that is a fantastic reply and explanation! I will try it first thing Monday morning.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys I finally fixed it. Basically half the faces were mapped upside down I guess, although it was hard to work out which way they should be up as it was a sphere! In the end I just flipped the green channel on those three faces although really I should have reunwrapped them and rendered out the map again. It works though so there we go. Thanks for your help :)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, does anyone know if a way I can randomise the mapping on my model? I have a crowd texture, and a bazillion planes and want to randomize the position and tiling on it without doing them by hand. I saw a script on google but it didn't seem to work.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

cocoavalley posted:

In Maya, I'd use auto mapping and choose the option to map each face separately to get started ...but that centers them on the uv grid, so then I'd write a script to do the rest. I'm assuming that you don't write scripts or you wouldn't have been looking for one on Google?

cubicle gangster posted:

edit: assuming you're using max...
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/mass-randomizer

My most used script by quite a distance.

Randomizes position, Rotation, Scale, Length-width-heigth- radius parameters, UV Offset Values, G-Buffer ID's, Selection (object and subobject) & Color and Materials. You're after UV offset.

At the same time you could also make a multi sub material with a few different versions of the crowd map and throw a material by element on the object.

edit2:
My work for SDA is on their website now :)
It was a 3 day rush job for a competition, loose & colourful.

http://synthesis-dna.com/new-taipei-city-art-museum/

right click/view for bigger images.

Thanks very much guys! Sorry I should have mentioned it's for Max. I'll give this a try:)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I want to make some effects for a game we're working on. I really want to make some cartoony smoke and dust to appear as if it's been handdrawn, kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QwrbyVaC6EU#t=192s

[video type="youtube" start="192s"]/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QwrbyVaC6EU[/video]

It's really nicely done, but it does look like it's been hand animated. Is there a way to get this kind of effect with particles?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
These are amazing PAnick! Do you really get them done in half an hour? Are you up for recording your working some time and uploading it? I'd love to see someone as talented as you work. I really need to sit down with ZBrush and learn it!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Seriously awesome work and thanks for the videos! I think it's time for me to finally learn zbrush..

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sparr posted:

Huh, thanks. For some reason the url's were truncated or something. Funny you should bring this up, though, because I have managed to get one little 3-d critter out of someone today.

He went for this guy

and came up with this...

Pretty fun iteration, I must say! If any of you guys would like to try your hand at some you're more than welcome. Just circle or crop or tell me which creature you'd like a bigger reference of and I can get it to you.

Do you want them low poly like the above example?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sparr posted:

I made some things!

Nice Coelacanth! You've done a good job hand-painting the texturing, it's nice. I think the unwrap could be a lot more efficient though. The body could be seperated in to head / body so you can get much more UV space out of it, and the fins are much smaller than they could be. Another thing you could do is actually lead the body polys in to the tail so you don't have that noticeable transition where it turns in to an alpha'd plane at the end.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I've started trying to learn Zbrush today with a few tutorials but I think my hand just went rogue and pressed something because the lighting's just changed on my mesh and I can't seem to work out how to fix it. I've closed and re-opned Zbrush, dragged a new material on, changed tool etc.

http://imgur.com/a/VEGj1

Thanks for any help.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, how do I turn that off? Also I just bought in the tool again and even with Edit on I can seemingly only rotate, not draw on the mesh. Have I pressed something else. Agh:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ok I solved the problem. I was saving the document not the project so I was reloading the tool in 2.5d! It is my first day.. :(

I've been using the create a head from a cube video as help and inspiration.

Hopefully post an update later, I plan to spend all week on this.

E: minor update

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 23, 2012