Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Been plugging away at learning modelling. I posted a head model waay back in the old thread but never updated - I ended up giving up on the head for now and doing a rather lovely office. Nothing worth posting, but a good ground to learn some more skills.

I'm now working on my first real complete piece, a post-apocalyptic scene that's not really very apocalyptic yet. Comments appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Continuing work on my scene - can't get a good layout of the cityscape yet. I may have underestimated just how much work there is to be done...

BigKOfJustice - I'm... undecided. My original plan was to have the blast crater be the focus in the right hand corner of the scene, although my current city layout doesn't show that. Still planning on going that route I think, although I wanted the chair/table to be a focus as well, and I don't want them fighting for the viewer's eye.

Comments/crits welcome as always.

Useless fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 25, 2008

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
The broom's a low-poly stand-in until I get around to modeling the high-poly version. Still undecided as to the best way to do the bristles - is splines the best method? I was afraid it'd end up being absurdly high-poly and kill my old workhorse of a machine.

As for the weathered look, I suppose I should have explained - I'm going for a "next day" type situation - lots of dirt, dust and debris but still fresh destruction - perhaps some smoke in the far horizion of fires still burning. The chair and table will eventually have bionoculars and a radio - signs the chair is a lookout for any hope of a rescue effort.

I'm also thinking about adding a helicopter in the background to indicate an admittedly weak rescue attempt going on.

Will update soon with a new render.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Still working on my scene - gave up on the background for now until I decide just how I want things laid out, and began trying my hand at texturing - this is the first texturing I've done and it's taking some getting used to, not only the uv unwrapping but the fact that working on 2048*2048 images in Photoshop brings my old rig to its knees.

Scale is still hosed slightly, and a lot of stuff needs fixing/tweaking, but it's something to show, I guess. Crits welcome as always.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Did some more work on the indoors, still a lot of temp textures (or none at all). Still not happy with the texture on the front wall - the cracks just don't feel right but no matter how much I play with it I'm never happy.

Comments/crits welcome.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
goomblet, sinc, A Sober Irishman - thanks for the comments. I've got to get some good references and completely redo the cracks - they were pretty much randomly placed as you guys can see.

More foreground work - messed up the concrete mesh, probably will completely scrap and redo. Worked to try and at least match the staining on the full plaster wall - next step is redoing cracks and blemishes on the entire wall(s).

Comments/crits welcome as always.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Finally had some time to get back into learning this stuff, and started pretty much doodling in Max yesterday. Combined with some work today, this is what I've come up with so far:

I realize it's dark as hell - still working on decent lighting.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Hinchu posted:

Did a quickie Photoshop to kind of show what I'm talking about.

Jesus. That looks way better.

Still trying some things - I'm a complete newbie at this still, so I'm kinda poking blind, but I absolutely love the lighting suggestions you made - now to try and emulate. Will post progress.... eventually.

I was planning on having a human figure done up like a researcher or engineer having a smoke break leaning on the railing in the window light - kind of a contrast with a ton of FIRE HAZARD and NO SMOKING signs I'll have plastered on all the tanks and lines (a continuation of the single "MAIN FUEL LINE" texture I have now). I just need to model a person for the first time....

Thanks to all that commented, this forum is great for feedback.

Hinchu - Could you give me a quick-and-dirty rundown of just how to DO that? I'm so hopeless at lighting. :(

Useless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 13, 2009

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Starting to make some progress on the lighting. There was a little moment of epiphany when I went "Hey, I can use more than one or two lights!" and proceeded to go hog wild. I'm surprised the render time didn't go through the roof.

I'm still not really happy with it, but it's far better than before. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and especially Hinchu for the advice and paint-over. Next - time for some more modeling and detailing, then either back to finish lighting or to start the texturing. And at some point I have to model and rig that drat smoker, and that's going to be a whole other boatload of learning to do.

Comments and crits welcome as always.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I forgot to mention, the pole by the guardrail is where the smoker figure will stand, I just wanted a rough idea of scale.

Oh yeah, and a quick question - how would I make the lighting in the windows "blow out" as Hinchu recommended? I tried adding volumetric light on my sun as well, but ended up with no light at all. Must try again later and get some light dust reflections in the main beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Still more playing with lights and modeling. I really should be doing something else on a Friday night.