Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

mcsuede posted:

So which tutorials should an absolute beginner start with? I'm looking to add a bit of 3d to my skillset for design purposes--nothing fancy or photoreal, just the basics.

Honestly the tutorials that come with the applications are great for beginners.

Also, click on the Modeling title in the OP. Good site.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

concerned mom posted:

My mudbox trial has run out but I still really want to use it at work (for learning and portfolio, not profit). Its about £150 for the learning edition which is a lot of money so its a tough decision but zbrush looks like even more money and I didn't really get in to using it.

Does anyone know the best way to buy these products or well I'm not really sure specifically what kind of advice I'm looking for; I just feel like I need some advice.

You could buy a used license, or if you are in some kind of schooling you could get an educational discount. It won't be much cheaper, but it'll be less.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

wasabimilkshake posted:

Am I on the right track?

Looks pretty good, if you're looking to be an environmental artist I'd recommend also getting into texturing and matte painting even. Even the shittiest low poly models can look amazing with some skilled texture work.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Isn't Overlay pretty much Add?

I can't imagine normal mapping an eye being of any use. Oh well.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2008

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I can't wait to dive head first into the industry, even unemployed.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I've seen some applications/addons for animators in Maya that make Cintiqs/Wacoms awesome animation assistance hardware. I don't remember where I saw it, maybe vimeo.com or something.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Shoulders (arms as a whole almost) look a little small and neck looks a bit too long. Also, that looks like a very unhealthy bodyfat %. I'd recommend putting some more weight on him and using bodybuilding pictures for reference. Then you can really see the detail in the muscles and get the placement perfect because bodybuilders are quite possibly some of the best people to take anatomy reference from when first learning. Hell, you can even study extruding veins from some bodybuilders which is another nice reference.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 8, 2008

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
For Tablet PC's you want to stick to Fujitsu, Toshiba, and occasionally HP. http://www.tabletpcreview.com is a good site to check up on news and product reviews.

I like my Toshiba M700.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

Recently there was an article in the LA times about the explosion of video game art curriculum.[/url]

There is a lot of opportunity for teachers in this field. I know my school is hiring and I am sure many others are as well.

Great, that's all I need is lovely art teachers spitting out lovely art students and flooding employers desk space with piles of poo poo reels/portfolios.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
After watching a few of the Gnomon DVDs I've come to the conclusion that the majority of them suck. I was watching one on production character modeling and he basically skipped 30% of the beginning process and imported a bust and male body and traced it around to make armor and accessories that covered the whole body.

I don't have no male body and head to work off of >:[

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Continuing my mission to improve my modeling and put together a showreel to get a modeling gig. This one is about 4 hours work at this point. Hands and feet have not been touched at all yet. Hair is just a visual aid at this point. I would hope that people could recognise the likeness although the proportions are not quite there yet.

IGGY?!

If so, goddamn that is so awesome.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

BonoMan posted:

And if so then, yeah the thighs need to be chicken bone thin. Saw that guy last year and he's the skinniest human alive.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img136/3531/igi5ks3.jpg

Dunno man, his thighs look decent in this pic. It might be the angle of the picture but he fills in the thighs of the jeans pretty good.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
DOMINANCE WAR HAS BEGUN

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw/4/rules/en.php

So! Who's entering this epic war with me?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
How do you go about making a base mesh that'll have holes for the eyes and mouth? Or do you just start sculpting, export the low poly, and deleted edges or polygons and then import it back in?

I made a basemesh in Maya and imported it (normals and everything were ok, all quads) with eye holes and mouth hole included and ZBrush bugs the gently caress out when I'm trying to sculpt anywhere near the edges of those holes. The gently caress?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

You can delete polygons in Zbrush, but it's convuluted. You're better off doing sculpting and topology in ZB then making the holes in some other program.

I thought this caused issues with the UVs? Or should I be setting up my UVs before I start making holes?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I just love it when I setup a decent looking basemesh with ZSpheres and the goddamn thing crashes just as I finish.

What the gently caress. I loving hate Vista X64.

gently caress Vista. Come the gently caress on Windows 7 already.

I barely had any crashes at all on x86 version of Vista, why the gently caress are all these crashes happening to me in X64? I thought it was supposed to be more stable?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
So what did you do on the project?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Progress on my Demon Prince "Xagerus" for DWIV:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know... the underlying shape of the torso just seems very off to me. The underlying anatomy and muscle flow just does not add up.

He's a demon prince so he's not supposed to be exactly human-like. Also, this is a very early WIP.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Update on my Demon Prince ZBrush sculpt:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xagerus_sculpt1.png

Head and everything below the elbows and knees are WIP. Starting to become satisfied with the torso. Made the chest a little more realistic but still ridiculously ripped.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

An update on my anatomy study

That's a pretty awesome study. I should work on a more realistic male and female model before doing stuff like demon princes, hah.

His wrists seem too thick in my opinion, or maybe it's just the rotation and pose of the hands.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Update on my demon prince:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xag_sculpt.jpg

Horns and shader are placeholders. Right now I'm pretty much satisfied with the base anatomy, going to go back in and really make him more demonic, similar to how his head is at the moment.

Any crits or suggestions welcome. He's going to be similar to the middle guy in my concept here: http://www.curtisbinder.com/seven_final.jpg but I'm going to make him much more appealing than my concept.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
ZBrush gets much easier once you learn all the hotkeys. Just like the first time you learned the hotkeys in other 3D applications. ZBrush basically allows you to do TONS of poo poo with a number of combinations of Control, Alt, and Shift...also depending if you're clicking on your model or on the background.

It is a very odd UI, and it's quirky. But once you get it down it is tons of fun. Watch some videos about masking and hiding in ZBrush, might help out a bit.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Cutting together my updated reel.

I'm thinking I should just drop everything from 0.31 onwards and save it if I'm actually looking for compositing work.

edit: Ooops, uploaded the wrong file. Still mostly the same at the moment, except the first panning picture isnt done so awfully and the walk and run clips switch place.

The music sounds really odd, like it's skipping or one of the instruments are off-tempo?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

dreggory posted:

This is closer to the shot I'm going for, I was just having a hard time seeing what was going on with the lights, etc. from this angle.

For some reason it looks like your objects are picking up much more light than your glassy surface. It seems like there should be more light reflecting off that glass than the legos. Picking yellow light kind of blows out the yellow of the figures. I'd tone down the light a lot and just up the specular of the plastic.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Had a username change (formerly Akaikami) but the website remains the same:

Click Here

Three new 3D pieces added to the portfolio, just speed sculpts for now until I take the time to settle down and really produce something of worth.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

'produce something of worth', he says!
They're awesome.

Thanks, coming from a pro like you it's appreciated.

Next project is to make a bust of Jean Reno as accurately as possible.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Seriously what the poo poo, it's like I have to use the original polyboost in an older version of max because the new ribbon in 2010 sucks my dick as far as hotkeys go. DADDY NEEDS HIS HOTKEYS.

I should just switch back to Maya and use NEX Tools for christs sake.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Had to make some changes to the exhibit after showing it to people at work. We opened it up more and I added a backdrop to the walls.

Looking good. If I remember correctly it wasn't previously symmetrical but now it is (for the most part at least), right? Definitely makes it feel more open.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Aliginge posted:

I'm relatively new to Zbrush and I'm looking at doing some hardcore studying on it for the next few weeks, but I'm wondering if you can answer me a question.

How do you get multiple objects appearing and being sculptable like that in Zbrush? I've so far been able to export pieces of my model from max in OBJ format and get them individually into zbrush, but I haven't the faintest idea how to get, say, a body mesh, a hat model, a shirt, pants, shoes, eyes, necklaces and other such objects all into zbrush at once so I can work on them together.

Some help for a newbie? :)

Also, a character I'm putting the finishing touches to.

Click here for the full 381x798 image.

(Edit: whoops forgot the opacity map on the hair.)

You want to learn the essential Subtools and Subtool Master (plugin available on Pixologic's site and ZBrushCentral forums I believe).

Think of your main tool (obj) as a master tool. You can append subtools to this master tool, whether it's basemesh objs from max/maya/whatever. Their subdivision levels are completely seperate so you can work on your low-res basemesh of say, a belt, at subdivision level 1 to get it in place properly and then divide it up to start sculpting in it's details.

Subtool Master also helps because it has some functions for multiple subtools, usually you have to switch poo poo one by one on each subtool. This is a pain in the rear end when a lot of people end up having 20+ subtools on their model.

Then there's features like Extract and poo poo, which will duplicate some faces you've masked on your object, extrude them out a bit, and you have the option to add thickness to them for a quick way to do cloth/armor/etc. Once these are extracted they will automatically be added to your Subtools seperate from your model. To edit each subtool, just like in Photoshop's layers make sure the subtool is selected (the rest will darken) and sculpt away.

I'd search the ZBrushCentral forums for some good tutorials on subtools, as I'm sure there are plenty. Also check out the wiki for ZBrush as it has loads of useful info. There's a few tips/tricks/bugs while using subtools that it's nice to be aware of.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/User_FAQ
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/ZBrush_3_Shortcuts

ceebee fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 6, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

ErIog posted:

You do realize that nobody ever does work that's supposed to be photorealistic without reference, right? That's a fool's errand.

As unfortunate as it is, it's true. I love drawing stuff from memory because it's much more freeform than being restricted to reference. However, use enough reference for specific things and eventually you may not need to.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
In the photo of the real polaroid you can see the pattern isn't a bunch of random lines, it's kind of like a thin cardboard that has a repeating tiny diamond shaped pattern. Looking at polaroids in real life it looks as if it's just grainy/has a noise bump on it.

Also, the table specular needs to be softened and brought back a bit

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Working on something through zbrush, should I stop what i'm doing, go to a lower level of subdivisions, export in max, redo the topology as I think might be better, than bring back in zbrush, do the face and details and then do the mapping in max again?

I've got workflow issues as this is pretty much the first time I try doing something of ''worth'' with zbrush

I think first I need to figure out what you're trying to make. Right now it doesn't look like you've sculpted much detail at all.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If all you're doing is modeling and rendering I'd say give Modo a shot. I think a new version, 401, or something is coming out soon and it looks pretty impressive. I hear pretty good things about it being an efficient modeler too, but I haven't tried it yet.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The one major downfall apparently is it's all destructive modeling. There's no layers/modifier stacks/etc to go back to if need be.

I'm not usually using those anyways, as I haven't really dived into non-organic subd modeling yet.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

I can not unsee that facial expression...

It reminds me of one of the fist modeling projects I had to do at VFS a few years back. It was modeling a unicorn. One guy in my class decided that rather than a traditional horn he would put a huge cock on his unicorn's head. I'll have to try and see if I have images floating around somewhere.

Hey, speaking of VFS, I was considering attending there. Any suggestions/tips?

If you have AIM I have some dumb questions to ask ya (I'm on as ceebee3d)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I hope they fix stability in ZBrush 4, along with all these other features.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also, top 75 finalists for Dominance War IV is up:

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/finals/2009/top75-3d.htm

Pretty amazing poo poo this year.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Elentor posted:

I used some, but I avoided it. I didn't want it to look photo-realistic and I'm actually avoiding it, trying to find a nice style, etc :)

Your model is looking amazing so far, in my opinion.

I think right now your box lacks a distinct style and a half-realism look. You can't really tell what element or material it's made out of. Parts of it look like they should be wood and parts of it look like some kind of fantasy marble/stone or something. Using some reference or photo texture when hand painting it would definitely benefit it. Since it's a simple box you really have to rely on your painting/reference to make it look appealing to the eye.

As much as I hate using reference and photo textures, you should either pick cartoony or realism, and rely on the shader and various maps for a distinct "style". In my opinion a diffuse should be either cartoony or realistic, anything inbetween and it just kind of looks thrown together or incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I like how the theme is supposed to be Spies yet none of them actually look like they're actually good at being Spies.