Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If you want to make something that looks good to the general public, aim for the quality professionals achieve or higher. You can only get close with practice.

My advice? Just buy a professional quality FX, tear it apart, learn how it works. Bam, you have self educated yourself to be able to achieve a better look and you might not have to spend money next time.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My own standards aren't AAA-tier, as should be obvious if you look at my work. I'm not going to make a living at 3D art anytime soon. I just want the effects to be of roughly equivalent quality to the models; the models aren't amazing either, but right now they're substantially better than the effects I'm making.

If you want to make a game that people want to buy. You should raise your standards.

Edit: I'm not tryin to make you feel bad btw, you did the first thing right by asking for advice.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Kanine posted:

is it rude for me to ask an indie developer if they're using store assets or if they're producing them in-house? if i do im going to preface it with saying both are valid, and that im asking mostly out of curiosity

No, indie developers should use store assets if they need to. Hell, even professional studios these days use assets that are provided by Quixel/Gumroad/Adobe/etc. I would definitely ask, mainly so I could double check that the license usage is kosher with a product that might be sold or distributed.

Ccs posted:

Well about to enter my first real vfx crunch for the next 12 weeks. See you all on the other side...

Got some crappy producers or unrealistic timelines huh?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Typically those are loose requirements, if you're good or you've got great work you can usually disregard that. My first job as Junior Character Artist had 2 years minimum experience, not 2 shipped titles and I still got the job fresh out of college.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah typically you want your low poly to be either really close to your high poly or overlapping (overlapping is usually ideal)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Your animation and framing could use some work but that looks awesome!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Maya has playblasts for that reason, might be worth looking into what the equivalent is in Blender :)

Keep up the good work man, remember you can only get better!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I would definitely add a rim/accent light to help silouette the chair and the character. It could be a lowish light set kinda orange that's pointing at a 3/4ths angle either from behind or in front.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Just a regular character or 3D artist should be able to do the trick. I'd offer my services but I'm busy as heck at the moment luckily.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

500 posted:

Thanks! I used Agisoft Metashape and Houdini. But you could really use any photogrammetry software that lets you export a point cloud.

I started by finding a nice alley in this video. I used the one around the 9 minute mark. Then I set the video to full screen and used the chrome inspector to remove the UI so I could step through frame by frame and take screenshots.

Next, I generated a dense point cloud from those screenshots in Metashape, exported the points to obj, and then imported the obj into Houdini. The disintegration effect is created by adding a noise attribute to the particles in a point VOP that will flag some for disintegration, and then moving the position of those particles slightly on the y axis every frame with a solver. Last steps are adding a camera and some lights and rendering with Redshift.

Awesome breakdown, thanks for the explanation, it came out looking sweet!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah in my opinion Maya is lacking a user-friendliness about it's motion graphics tools. There's MASH which is a pretty powerful system that's included for procedural/instanced type effects but I've seen C4D people on youtube make motion graphics stuff in 1/4th the time it would take me to do it in Maya and I consider myself fairly proficient. I still prefer Maya for all my modelling, UVing (although RizomUV is just about beating this), and game engine stuff.

But yeah Blender is looking hella juicy for pretty much anything these days. I'll probably end up learning it in the next 1-2 years, maybe less.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
FBX size is also dependent on stuff like vertex color, UVs, smoothing groups, skinned vertices, stored maps, etc. I definitely have huge FBX files that come out of ZBrush that contain a lot of vertex color info and stuff (12 mil is definitely a 400-700MB file for me). They definitely must be developing some efficient method for storing and reading/writing that data. Curious to see what it is :)

I really hate hate hate that FBX is handled differently in almost all applications though. I hope Epic tries to standardize it with an open source format. FBX is hot garbage, but at least it's better than OBJ.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Substance recently released an update that allows you to export displaced and tessellated meshes, so what you can probably do is build your meshes as you normally would with a low poly/uvs/bakes, do your texturing in Substance, and then export it pre-displaced and pre-tessellated to UE4. What I assume will happen with textures is that they get converted into some type of texture streaming thing, or packed into a megatexture type thing behind the scenes to "get rid of drawcalls" as they say.

Also dang SubNat that writeup is crazy in-depth hahaha. Props.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm seeing a ton of recruiters hit me up for remote work lately. Although they want me to move to work in-house once the 'rona stuff is over. I'm pretty dead-set on remote working indefinitely, I love working from home especially now that I don't live alone. The less time I spend commuting the more time I can devote to my hobbies, make my house awesome, get a dog or two soon, take care of kids eventually if I have them. I don't want to waste 3 hours a day commuting to and from the main cities. In one year, 3 hours of commuting (1 and 1/2 hour to and from) that's a WHOLE loving MONTH just wasted commuting every single year.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 18, 2020

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Use blendshapes to deform the LP meshes between each other, and bake the corresponding HP for each LP mesh. Once that's done you can blend between height, displacement, or normals to get the desired effect. This is a pretty common thing in game art, blending LP between each other and swapping or transitioning between Normal maps. Of course you do have to make sure that your LP meshes have similar or the same geometry (ideally).

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

500 posted:

All modern browsers come with WebGL, which allows them to render in 3D. Since WebGL is quite tricky for developers to deal with by default, people have developed Javascript libraries which let you build your scene much like you would in a 3D package (except with code), by adding a camera, importing meshes, and positioning everything in 3D space. The most popular of these libraries is Three.js (I used a different one developed in-house at the company I work for, but there's no reason you couldn't get the same result using Three.js).

Once you've learned enough Javascript to get Three.js working, you now need to learn to write shaders, which is where most of the visual magic happens. The Book of Shaders is probably the best place to get started.

Now you've done that, it's just a matter of creating meshes, importing them into your scene, and then writing shaders that display your meshes how you want them to be displayed. Three.js comes with a bunch of default shaders, but imo to do any really fun stuff you need to write your own.

The map scene has three main shaders:
- a shader for the main piece of landscape, which is just a flat plane with many subdivisions. The shader moves the vertex positions on the Y axis according to a heightmap texture. It also applies color values from a pre-baked lightmap.
- a second shader for the box enveloping the landscape. This shader clips the box by reading values from the same heightmap and discards any pixels above a certain height. This creates the illusion of a solid piece of extruded landscape.
- a shader for the map node. This draws a dotted line and has some values for controlling the number of dots etc. It also displays the text, which for now is just a simple texture. The whole thing has its transparency faded in/out based on distance to the center of the map.

I think a lot of people are dismissive of WebGL and assume that you can't make anything that looks good with it. This is because most developers are not artists, and their examples tend to look something like this. But if you have a bit of design knowledge and know how to make things look nice, there's no reason you can't do so with WebGL as opposed to something like Unity or Unreal (although if you're interested in this kind of thing, Unity is maybe more accessible and easier to get started with, since Javascript environments are typically quite annoying to set up).

Quoting this so I can save it forever. Excellent writeup on web-based 3d stuff. Really interested in exploring this, but I'm still a complete novice with code, did some javascript back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You using three.js or a framework built on it? Looks sweet, I've been seeing more WebGL based physics both rigid and soft body which is great (I know you said this is baked). Can I check out more of your work? WebXR is definitely going to be a massive space once more competition and development comes out with more accessible VR/AR/XR platforms. BTW 500 are you looking for side work still? Cryptoart scene is booming and might be a good opportunity for you. I've been working on a few pieces to mint on marketplaces but if you want to know more I can give you a run down of NFTs/cryptoart.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 4, 2020