Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I actually finished that train station one I started months ago. It's changed a hell of a lot since then and turned into an interior now, but it's done!
First thing i've ever finished that was not someone elses idea/a photo and not done just to learn something either.

I used the new environment fog in vray too, which is amazing.

Uhh, for some reason this looks eerily like the Team Fortress 2 map with trains. Except real.

brian encino man posted:

I'm sort of finding out mudbox as I go along but its a fun experience. He's going to be Magua from Last Of The Mohicans when he's done.

How're you liking Mudbox? Once I learned the interface and hotkeys to ZBrush I picked it over Mudbox. With version 4 coming soon I'll probably stick with that, as it looks to have a shitload of good new features.

PS. That's a really good likeness, reminds me that I need to watch the next episode of Kings that aired recently :P

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

ceebee - do you have a screenshot? i've never played tf2.

Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQrAMu-UUI

The layout of your train station looks similar, but of course TF2 is much more cartoony.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

I would be very interested. Not sure if I completely understand you, so a video would help a lot.

Basically the projection master lets you use an image while painting onto a mesh. Once you've "clone brushed (basically)" the image onto the mesh you project it down and you'll be able to rotate around the mesh to see how the image was projected onto it. Very useful when using picture reference to texture something, but you got to make sure the image is lined up correctly or it will look a bit off.

If he makes a video it'll probably explain it better. ZBrush's wiki is also a useful resource for this stuff.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 20, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

therunningman posted:

Is anyone using the 401 version of modo yet? It looks really good
I am really excited about the direction the software is moving.

http://www.luxology.com/

I was thinking of giving it a try soon. Maybe on some basemeshes for some characters I'm concepting.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I love Maya's interface. Kind of sucks because most game studios prefer Max these days.

Also, autodesk seems to be shafting Maya as far as features/versions go. I can't really tell if that's a good or bad thing considering Max 2010's awesome (loving horrible) current reputation. If Maya was left to Alias it would probably have destroyed Max in the long run.

loving autodesk, they're like the new Microsoft. They'll keep loving poo poo up until they finally realize what people who use their poo poo actually NEED. Function > Aesthetics

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Thanks guys

I was just talking to a friend of mine and he said the same thing about the green on the pants. I'm colourblind so sometimes I make bizzare colour choices, at least that's easy to fix.

I was going to mention that as well, but I thought it was just a placeholder for more detail added. Looking good so far mang.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I've been thinking of replacing my 4870 with an Nvidia card. I've been having all kinds of issues with various 3D applications, including Photoshop CS4. This is my first time with a Radeon, and I'm never buying one again. My 4200 and 7600GT did me pretty good as far as stability with 3D applications go.

It's a shame really, this card is great with games and such, and it was pretty cheap.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I figure Nvidia has a better reputation between 3D application software developers due to their Quadro line of cards. It also seems OpenGL works a bit better than ATI cards, which a lot of 3D stuff use, including Photoshop now. It sucks because for me to fully utilize PS CS4 and my graphics card, I need to enable OpenGL, and for some reason the numerous drivers from ATI haven't fixed quite a few bugs I've been having with it.

Plus, the Catalyst Control Panel is a bloated piece of crap.

I bought the 4870 because of the massive amount of good reviews, unfortunately the majority of them didn't come from people who utilize 3D applications on a daily basis, just video games.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

brian encino man posted:

My camera in mud box has gone all strange. Its gone slightly rotated right and when I rotate the camera back the model now looks up at a 45 degree angle. Like its rotating around a ball instead of a fixed position. I tried to reset the camera but no joy. Anyone know about this? If I rotate the model to bodge-fix it it messes up the symmetry.

Not sure if there is a hotkey for it, but usually that's called local rotation (for people who like to have the camera rotated around the last part they clicked on their mesh). Try using shift + the camera tools to get orthographic views if that fixes anything if there's no toggle for the local/global camera rotation.

Oh yeah and switch to ZBrush already.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Photorealism? Organic or Mechanical Modeling skills?

The best advice for learning any 3D application is to get involved with the communities and forums that are focused around it (these differ depending on the application, so do a quick google). With that you'll find tutorials, videos, critiques, everything that you'll basically need to start producing something like most of these guys. That, and a whole hell of a lot of practice. If you get stuck somewhere the best place to go first is the manual, usually big name applications have a HUGE library of information for help files.

Experiment with everything your application of choice has to offer, every feature and setting... you want to mess with (just make sure you remember how to set it back).

A robot in an blue box isn't much to go on, but you're learning the basics of things at least. We'll need more information to help you out.

Edit: A picture of the toy that you have would help, as it's hard to tell what part of it is supposed to be a certain type of material. That plastic for it's head/helmet looks way too thick in the first place. Take a single lamp or light fixture and hold the figure up to it to see how the light interacts with it. Inspect for reflection, color from the light itself, and the amount of specular that shows on each part. The best way to find out if something looks right or wrong is to look back to your reference.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 1, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Final file dimensions are 13950x3960

Daaamn. My totem picture was 4000px in height and that took forever itself. Pretty good work with the coral, still looks a little too uniform but I'm sure you've got a fair share of reference material.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

Welp, they turning Imageworks in to 'rows of desks' sweatshop kinda like DD and R+H. Was fun while it lasted...

Wow. Sounds great...

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
zspheres makes some pretty decent sculpting geometry really quick, this only took about 45 minutes to whip up (most of the time was spent figuring out how to do the hands)

Now to the fun parts :]

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Look at that low-poly chest. Get out.

Seriously though I do like a lot of the sections, but that does seem pretty low detail for the chest area if you're not covering it up with accessories.

Yeah this is just a basemesh for me to lay clothing on top of. The only skin parts visible will be his head and hands (maybe hands...I'm thinking of giving him gloves).

I plan on retopoing it as a whole once I have everything looking alright.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

ceebee: Would love to see a breakdown of how you made that with z spheres. Doesn't look too bad.

Sure, here's the zsphere setup I used: http://www.curtisbinder.com/ZSphere_Human.ztl

There's some things on it that could be better now that I've got a pretty good grasp of zspheres, but it's a pretty decent base for just some quick sketching. I'd definitely retopo this after working out 3-4 subdivisions of it though, the geo isn't that great.

Here's from me messing with it last night, working out the proportions for this concept: http://www.curtisbinder.com/axel_concept.jpg

Still needs quite a bit of work, I'm spending a lot of time in the lower subdivisions. Once I get to the higher part I'll be able to use pinch/flatten more to give him a more TF2-ish cartoony look.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

I meant a "breakdown", as in stills showing some kind of progression. Zspheres are still very awkward for me to use and I am wondering how hard it would be a mesh like the one you built. Did you look at any tuts beforehand? How did you know how to create the hands? I still find zspheres pretty frustrating to use and I wonder just how simple beginning topology should be if you just plan on re-topologizing later.

Also, that ztl file did not work for some reason. I am only using zbrush 3.1 however.

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=23136

I used that tutorial for the hands. There's also another way of doing it shown here: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showpost.php?p=489118&postcount=52

I think there's another tutorial on Gnomonology that's free for zsphere hands.

The rest of the model is pretty straight forward, just make sure you keep the root (start zsphere) somewhere on the chest/spine area and branch the limbs off of that. Also, I'd recommend tweaking zspheres in orthographic views most of the time as weird things happen when you start bending them in odd directions.

Just like anything in zbrush you really just have to fiddle with things to figure it out, it's just that type of program.

Also, chances are if you need help with something in zbrush the zbrushcentral wiki and zbrushcentral forums probably have the solution.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
drat I wants me a new computa :smith:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The only forums that I've been visiting mostly these days are gameartisans and polycount. Are there any other maya/max forums that are actually populated and active? I haven't seen many with some good activity.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

A lot of areas are a little out of wack, but I'm just messing around with a TF2 type style of sculpting. It's pretty fun.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Why the hell is it so hard to not make characters look creepy as hell?

I'm reworking Tinman and getting really frustrated.

Edit: Thumbed for creepiness.

I think it's his human features. I'd make him look a bit more geometric like he was built out of sheetmetal bent plates instead of a weird cyborg mold or a collection of bowls. The human eyes definitely make the majority of it look creepy.

Edit: Did a quick paintover that might help?

I rounded up his brows, pushed out/pulled up the cheeks a bit, and gave him a slight smirk I guess? Makes him look friendlier I think? Pushed his upper lip out a bit, and got rid of some of the ribs on the iron that made him look like he had 6 mouths.

I also gave him like bolts/nuts for eyes.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 16, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You've got to be making GBS threads me guys this thread was on Page 2, COME ON!

Edit: I wish poopinmymouth would post here more instead of on photography stuff :saddowns:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'll give the challenge a shot. I'm more of an organics type of guy but it can't hurt to try :P

ceebee fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 21, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

FLX posted:

This is what I'm trying to do. I was just wondering if there was some built-in function to help me with it, so I get smooth subdivisions on the N-Gon and not wobbly edges like when doing it by hand.

You could start out modeling it without extruding a huge rear end polygon and having a ridiculous amount of edges on the borders.

You have heard of the try to keep all quads method right?

http://www.pelitalo.org/hanna_kalinen/guitar_wires.jpg

Still kind of cruddy topology but overall what you should be going for.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
What kind of mapping are you using?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Oh poo poo I forgot you were the dude behind 3d-Palace.

I want to do some ZBrush video tutorials, is there any money in it?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Ahahahaha

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If it's a large enough studio I can see why they'd want to skip the process and hand it off to somebody who knows more about it. Retopology is really simple in itself, but the methodology behind it is complicated as poo poo. Sculpters only really have to worry about keeping the polygons square/equal throughout the model. But somebody who is more experienced with dealing with deformation will know topology like the back of their hand.

If it was a smaller studio or somebody is freelance there is no reason for a modeler to not retopo though. So yeah Zack can suck a dong.

You guys forget a lot of sculptors aren't coming from max/maya heavy workflows. Some of them are coming from being concept artists and forced to learn displacement sculpture because it's a quick way to come up with concepts.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah the notes are appreciated. I hate interviews and QAs from producers usually because they don't explain anything other than pipeline bullshit. And even then it's vague.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Nice sculpt Eoin

Progress on my duder: http://www.curtisbinder.com/axelsculpt3.jpg

Not enough geo in the head so I'm going to have to retopo and resculpt once I get his clothing done >:[

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Dang that nondestructive .psd system sounds pretty cool.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I still think that head looks pretty creepy dude. A tinman shouldn't be as humanized as you've got it :[

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Heintje posted:

Long time no forum! (for me anyway) Was at SIGGRAPH which was alright, nothing too amazing like everyone had told me- apparently it was the smallest and quietest in years. Now I am about to move to London for VFX work it would seem, moving countries so frequently is a pain in the rear end.

But anyway, have some houdini shader goodness:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Micropoly displacement gets me off.

drat that blending looks good. Only thing that is prominent is the tiling.

In case you ZBrushers haven't seen this yet:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=73956&page=1&pp=15

I'm stoked for ZB 3.5 and 4.0

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I'm also curious as to how to seamlessly go from ZBrush -> Max -> ZBrush. I've been starting my basemeshes using extract in ZBrush or using the retopology tools to build a clean base. But importing meshes from ZBrush to Max seems to flip them...and it also seems to gently caress up the scale back and forth. So when I import them back into ZBrush to continue sculpting they're all over the goddamn place and like 300% scaled >:[

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My loving god I knew they'd start implementing mechanical/hard edged modeling tools. I love pixologic/zbrush. I can't wait to dabble in ZBrush 3.5

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Goddamn, dude.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I hate you guys :smith:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You could decimate it in ZBrush (resulting mesh may not be appropriate for animation) or bring it into Max/Maya/Topogun/3DCoat for retopology. I believe Max has some good scripts that attempt to automate the polycount reduction, but you'd have to check scriptspot or some other resource on more info. Once you have the low poly you can bake all the high poly stuff into reasonably sized maps for a real time engine, and then apply them all to the low poly. There's programs that make the baking much easier like xNormal

I would apply for the Topogun beta if they are still accepting people, it's a pretty speedy program and you can churn out some good topology in no time. ZBrush also has manual retopo tools, but it's a little picky about when it wants to work properly after you get the model more than 50% done or so, in my experience.

Topogun handles proxy meshes (your high poly) up to 1-5 million from what I've experienced. ZBrush is also pretty good at handling large amounts of polygons, you could take it into there to use decimation master and then throw it into another favorable program to retopo it.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 12, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm attending Gnomon School right now and I have to say it's a fairly intense program. I basically do not have time to gently caress around because I have so much class assignments/homework, and I'm only in the middle of the first term (there's 7 over a period of 2 years).

It's fairly nice because the majority of the instructors are working their full time jobs in the industry and teaching either in the morning or at night.

They also are opening up their own "Gnomon Studio" with Shane Acker and there's already a bunch of students working there on his next feature/short/whatever. Also, Pixologic is right next door and they work with the ZBrush instructor here Ryan Kingslien.

It's about the same price as VFS' one year program, but you basically get two for one here. Granted, the campus and classes aren't as huge as VFS but there are definitely some talented people working and studying here.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Baby's first mechanical model (texture to come soon). Term 1 at Gnomon School almost complete, learned quite a bit since I got here and met a ton of really cool people and had a bunch of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Tw1tchy posted:

How'd you model that? Did you go ingame and take lots of pics, then model it from that? And what program also?

Modelled in Maya. If you google image search for TF2 Sentry there's tons of reference pics. I think I even found the orthographic concepts by the original artist, but they were very rough.

I probably should've went in game to take a bunch of pictures but the labs I'm working in don't have the game.