Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

I think I'm calling this finished.

I really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="RizieN" post=" motivation
[/quote]

God you've had that same avatar forever haven't you?

So I don't know if this is relevant or not but I've been messing with CG since I was a childe and only very recently did I subscribe to Unreal Engine 4 [$20/mo] and it's given me so much inspiration and reason to get back in. check out some of the example youtubes of the rendering it puts out and then read about the blueprints which allow you to make levels/whatever without touching any code at all. of course this all comes down to the modelling but for me the benefit is not only do you get to do the cool modelling and that side but then you get an engine that allows you to move and walk around and use and real-time fiddle with the textures and etc etc etc. I've been using it for 2 weeks without any prior experience and I don't think I've ever been so inspired in my life. it's not just about games either, look at the architecture viz vids on YouTube and realise that those things aren't renders as such but real time [almost, would require beefy card]. and because you don't need to code you can focus on modelling and then use the engine to make the models come to life in a way a renderer never could. and then put boosters on it and fly it around in a level ;)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the aesthetic I am going for is low-poly and am finding blender the best tool to use. I have unashamedly pirated 3ds and maya to fiddle. I used 3ds lots when I was younger but it feels so dated now. maya is just confusing. blender requires you to learn the keyboard but once you do it's fine and the sculpting tools are acceptable for my low-poly stuff. plus the game I am making has no contributions from 3ds or maya which is a good feeling. it seems ridiculous to me in a sense that a lot of tutorials require you at some stage to import into 3ds not to do modelling but just use a modifier and then import out. I refuse to do this. my loss I guess. well not my loss for not forking out the dosh, which I would feel compelled to do if I used those pricey tools given that I one day actually intend to make money from this [in my wildest dreams]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

It's pretty awesome.

poo poo I didn't read this and didn't realise you were already doing an indie game thing

Anyway, unreal owns unity groans. I have faith in you though to make it work though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

I've switched to UE4 long since I made that post. I've been really busy and ignoring these forums, but UE4 is the poo poo man. Leagues above unity for sure. The more time I spend in UE4 the less time I model though... it's a double edged sword of time management.

At the moment I am working hard to make my game easily upgradeable for my own sake, so adding a new pawn doesn't mean adding a new camera every time and making sure settings are the same across everything. Once I'm done with that I am getting hard back into the modelling. I am making life easy for myself too by using a low-poly aesthetic. Because my modelling sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

Haha, I think I know who you are on the forums, I just left your thread actually!

Haha! yeah the people on there don't seem to love the idea of what I am doing, it seems like the forums is mostly an amateur crew and anyone who actually knows what they are doing isn't posting on those forums. Oh well. And yeah I hope so, because I sorta want to get content making not making it easy for me to add content. At least I've got the very core of my game working and playable. :) Good luck to you! And yeah blueprints are the best poo poo ever! UE4 would be just as good for visualising some real time data or a million other things that aren't games, and those arch/viz examples are very impressive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RizieN posted:

It's weird, sometimes a guru will bust out a great example and basically make your game and fix your issue in no time, other times you get no one. Have you tried also posting on the UE Answers website? You tend to get a little more attention from knowledgeable people there. Also, I've scheduled a "tutor" lesson with that Rama guy for tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it goes. He basically charges by the hour, and he'll skype/screen share/whatever and drill into your game and help you program/script and fix issues, create things(within the engine) etc.
poo poo really? yeah let me know how it goes etc. I've tried the answerhub too but maybe I'll check it again. Right now I need help making a camera and then I can get stuck into making some content

quote:

Those arch/viz scenes are sick too... they all start with "it's a lovely render but check it out!" and they all look good. My buddy and I might toy around with making a short movie or a more movie-like game soon, but I've got a lot to learn first.
TO be fair those videos are done with static meshes and static lighting and dynamic lighting will not look like that for a while yet but yeah for real-time flying around they look amazing, I will be really impressed when people get poo poo moving in them too. We should also take this conversation here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692947 :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey so after years of fiddling with CG I've finally hit the wall where I need to understand and use UV maps. I've recently been "getting away with" using auto unwrap in my 3D program and recently started fiddling with manually doing them.

Anyway, these are some rudimentary/fundamental questions regarding them.

So a UV Map, as such, isn't a bitmap image, but it does have it's own channel? and that channel consists of a series of vertice coordinates. so every single vertice that you are mapping has a corresponding U,V coordinate, which is mapped onto x,y for viewing or editing.

and the resultant quads/tris that come out of this are mapped onto mesh, and the system will do as much stretching or scaling as necessary.

and while the UV map itself doesn't have a resolution, the way you might "paint" or "texture" a mesh is by painting on (directly or indirectly) onto a bitmap image that corresponds to the UV map. and so the mesh gets each and every colour (or whatever function is using the bitmap) entirely from the bitmap that is using the UV map to tell it what goes where

and this is why good unwrapping and resolution come into play, because poor unwrapping means too much distortion and inefficient use of the image size.

the seams of the unwrapping matter for some reason? in theory couldn't every face be split and the entire mesh packaged efficiently but non-continuous?

and further down the line to normal mapping. so, often in related to gaming, it seems the ideal model has

a high poly ideal mesh
a lower poly lower LOV mesh (or multiple, including the typical mesh use in the real life game)
some very high poly details that are baked to a normal map (this is what "baking" is, right?) (but not present as a mesh) (and this might have been produced with something like ZZBrush)
a texture map (plus any other maps, reflection, roughness or whatever)
animation rigging (I haven't got that far yet at all. completely know nothing)

am I on the right track? I find it difficult to find things written that are about these basic concepts. everything I read assumes you know these kind of things and then gets to work about deeper things

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 18, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks dudes. I had my first attempt at "hand drawing" today. I am terribly lovely at it but once it was in UE4 and in the context of a game it looked O K and OK is good with me.

What are the opinions on this Substance Painter?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Odddzy posted:

Interesting but currently in beta so some features are less than ideal. The updates for now are free but I don't know if they plan on keeping them that way after version 1.0

They are working on redoing the workflow with substance designer and the way you work between the two. But once that's done, it's gonna be quite hot in my humble opinion.

The claim is that all 1.x updates will be free. I played around with the trial version. The particle effects method of painting leads to some interesting results!

I did that in it last night, in a very small amount of "strokes"

But it crashed often and I couldn't help but feel that everything will start to have the same look. Perhaps these were the limitations of the trial however, the resolution of the map seemed lower than I would have liked it.

I can't really work out from the descriptions what Substance designer is, well, how it's different. It says it's for texturing, and the painter is for painting, but I thought those terms were synonymous!

Also I am very used to blender's controls which I really like and are very fast and almost every other 3D app uses worse ones :oldman:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

concerned mom posted:

Yo echinopsis I think reading your posts you've definitely got the gist of UV maps. I think maybe you should start a bit more simple than substance painter first though, get the basics.

Maybe try this really old but brilliant tutorial:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

Hey, thanks man. Yeah substance is beyond me at the moment, although the trial is fun to mess around with.

I think the main concern, is purely my artistic ability. I can pick up software easy and get comfortable using it, I just can't usually make good results though, simply for the same reasons I can't with pen and paper.

Still, I am trying, and making a game too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One thing though, and I'm not sure how to feel about this, is that I hate the idea of "faking" anything. For example, in my mind, GI should be enough and if something isn't lit enough in the corner of the room by GI then god drat it don't dare fuckin add a light near it to make it look brighter because then you're faking it. Or adding shading to a model, because surely the engine/renderer should add the shade because that's what fuckin shadows are god loving drat it!

This attitude is having to leave me, I think. It is an unrealistic one and I don't know where it came from and tbh I am now seeing to an extent that games/renders aren't real life (what??) and so you don't need to make them real life. If you think it needs a bit of extra whatever even if that's not how it would be in reality, then do it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The resolution on the trial is no where near high enough. Maybe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody have experience trying to achieve the scan with an iPhone camera? just curious really

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting mix of low and high poly modelling there! I like it.

What was it modelled/rendered in?

That first render looks like the lightmaps are low resolution or something to that effect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you mean switching to exclusively subscription based? when I got SketchBook 7 I could do it as subscription OR a one off and own it forever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nice ruminating on dicks there bro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I exclusively use Blender for modelling, unwrapping, sculpting and painting :smugmrgw:

At this stage is definitely clear my skill would be the bottleneck, not the software

(Plus blender owns, gently caress the haters. anyone who hates the UI must be a redneck idiot poo poo-fucker)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blender sculpting, anyone???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll stick 100% to blender for modelling sculpting and painting thanks

Giving money to the Zbrush/mudbox multinationals just promotes laziness from those developers/ hungry developers work harder

instead give no money and own blender for free and use the fastest best 3D tool tree is: open source is always worthless EXCEPT when it comes I blender

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But seriously Blender owns. I don't get the hate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

I don't have anything against blender. I don't see the use in hyperbolic, sophomoric app-wars either. Use whatever helps you make cool stuff.

drat I was hoping for one. Anyway I guess I just hope people don't see using Blender as some kind of cop-out, or think that they need to drop a bunch or pirate to get a great 3D program

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A screenshot from a game I'm makin'. Keeping it "low-poly", mainly because it's easy on the GPU but mainly because it's significantly easier to model. No "textures" as such, just colours and roughness/metallic/specular etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks! It's kinda fun to play but so far very little content, need to focus on getting UI working and a few other things before I can get too stuck into the content itself

UE4, modelled in Blender.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if it's going to collapse non planar faces to triangles going into game engine it's my experience that it's generally preferable to do it yourself, can look nicer. not that you wouldn't work that out immediately anyway I just wanted to post to let you guys know that I've done it myself :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ceebee posted:

Why does your robot have a weird alien vagina looking thing on the crotch.

it's a solid fact that half the people who enter CG is to draw models of things they want to gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you dont just put a white texture on dogpoo.fpx and call it an ear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

always makes me laugh that. every new photoshop feature, every slightly easier render engine like maxwell or octane. if an automated tool is going to put you out of a job you need to have a good look at how much effort you're putting in.

or you are smart enough to still be getting paid for poo poo that is easily automated. it's ok it you've got an exit strategy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Irony, and all that

although I'm thankful for the anecdote. interesting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*shows you a stained restaurant menu*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no talent and rely on the rendering engine in UE4 to make things look ok

That is the level of the graphics in my game. Thank god too, coz I lack skill

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone here with much experience in Substance Painter? I want to know if I can lock the centre of the viewport rotation to the centre of the object, instead it rotates around the face or the point where I click the middle mouse button. I means I often have to additionally translate and zoom to just get to another face. With Blender I can centre the origin of the rotation to the centre of the object and then it doesn't get in my way

I really enjoy SP, although not for the substances. I find them a bit average since they use your UVs quite heavily. The particle effects are mostly good but I need to learn how to make my own particle effects.

The particle effects makes it very easy to make things like this

(that's the viewport)

Which suits me, as I have little talent and even less taste (hence I think that looks good whereas it might look like poo poo to most people)

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 13, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big K of Justice posted:

So on that note, do good work, get poo poo done and be organized a

gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's awesome man! I tried to do something like that with UE4 only it was fail. I incorporated physics and that made it slow as poo poo and also I don't have a clue about anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The more people that use Blender, the better it will become, and more commonly accepted..

I think Blender somehow needs a fundamental newbie switch. I've managed to turn off the menu before and couldn't even work out how to load a new file. Since Blender files load up the configuration saved with it, when I've downloaded someone elses .blend, when I run it the UI has changed significantly and if that person has gotten rid of say the menu, and I don't know the key combo to bring it back, and if I have save session on exit and start with previous session, shutting it down and resrating doesn't fix it.

A simple - reset UI button, which resets it to a basic layout, would be amazing. Also making the settings global and not per-file would save a bit or heartache. It means if I want a change in have to do it from a brand new file, make the change, save it and update the default start program.

This is primarily my main gripe.. The absolute flexibility to change the UI in virtually any way and attach it to the .blend file is a pro-move, but not that suitable for non-pros

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to see a permanent menu bar at the top. File menu, ability to reset UI. Something that is never not available when you gently caress it. I can definitely see Blender getting impossible to use if you gently caress up the UI by accident somehow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

The file bar is always there, I don't think I've ever downloaded a single blender file that had the UI arranged in such a way that it wasn't. Also you can never break the UI. You can always change the window type to anything.

No the file bar is like any UI element and can be changed to something else. My point is that for people who don't know the program well, they might not know they have to change it to "info" to get the file bar back.

You can never permanently break the UI, but unless you know what you're doing it can effectively be so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use LuxRender with Blender.. Although 99% of the time I'm using it for Unreal Engine so all that poo poo doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like them, a bit nicer than a lot of the Low-Poly stuff I see. Some grainy textures could go a long way perhaps too