Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

International Log posted:

I think your pool has too much texture. In an indoor pool like that the water will be extremely smooth. Examples:

I know that will take away some of the images texture, but you can increase the intensity of the underwater lights or something so that you can see down into the pool. That will stop it from being a big gray hole in the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Some results from this week!

It's a still from an animation - going to be putting cars and people in it next week, then should hopefully be mostly done. :)

Anyone got any comments before I call it completley finished? I know the tv is way too bright, going to sort that in the morning.

As a landscape architect, I would like to see some street furniture. Trash cans, benches, bike racks, etc. Might make it feel a bit more lived-in, too.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Where is the cab?

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Supposed to be bean bags/soft seating... They are a bit weak though.

They're too stiff. They look more like inflatable furniture than bean bags. They should be sagging under their own weight.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Messing around some more with this image. I'm stoked because I have permission to use some underwater photos for comps. That's what the diver is from. It's nice to have some really good reference though. I need to get a poo poo ton of fish now.

The growth on the rig support seems way too uniform. I don't know if that is final or not, but it looks very artificial.

Would it possible to emulate something more like this:

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

The camera height seems stale to me. Have you tried taking it lower or more toward eye height?

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I think if you just shorten the arms and legs it helps a lot.

ps. Photoshop CS4's content aware scaling loving rocks.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Because we're a bit quiet in work I went and had a go at re-lighting an old shot these past 2 days.

Started sketching my next big still too. This ones a little bit more ambitious than the last... :)

Looks excellent. The only thing I would say is I think the foreground tree would work better on the other side. As is, everything feels a little bunched on the right of the image, and if you moved the tree over there it would work to frame the house a bit more without feeling too constrained. Otherwise, looks great. Definitely love the lighting.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

The one thing that jumps out to me is that his beard looks like a tail. The hair doesn't seem to be coming off of his chin, but instead it looks like it's growing out of the beard. Especially as you get further away from the face.

Otherwise, it's drat good. Especially like the boots and the lighting.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I'm not in the industry (so this might be a bad idea), but if I were I think I would just go to a normal school and double major in computer science/graphics and art(with a focus on illustration.) Then, if you get out and either decide you don't want to do video games anymore, or you can't find a job you've got two other potential career paths. Plus, you'll have a way better time at the state school parties and art chicks are easy.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Something seems slightly off in the skin. Like it's too hard and plastic. Almost looks more like a rhino model as apposed to a rhino. I don't know if it's that the bump is a little too deep or that the skin fold edges are too hard, or something else, but just something I noticed. Seems like it needs to be softened just a bit.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

They seem like they're just a little too shiny to me. They look metallic.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Anyone know of any good free tutorials for Rhino? Specifically architecture or landscape related. I'm trying to expand my 3d knowledge. I haven't really used much 3d (other than SketchUp) in the last 7 years or so and the technology seems to have grown a lot in that time.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I feel a bit odd posting this, but I started a new image and I want to know if it's still a good idea or not. I've been thinking and now I think it might be stupid and look a bit poo poo, regardless of how realistic it may end up looking. I quickly laid it out to check and see how I felt earlier and I still think it might be poo poo. Now i'm not even sure why I think it might be poo poo.

I'm trying to take the piss out of the outside la suburbs style houses - rented grass and all that. Places that really dont belong in that particular environment but due to 'the american dream' it's being done anyway, just because. A mix of clean gardens and dirty tower.
Is it kind of stupid? Am I better off just doing a fully dingy image with a bit more personality? Or even is it the style of image i've limited myself to?
I'm only a handful of hours in so it's not a big deal if it is toss.

What's your message? Right now it seems kind of muddled. It seems like you're demeaning both the high rise lifestyle and the suburban lifestyle as you've taken the worst elements of both. If that's not your intent you might need to think harder on what the final image is that you're producing. I feel like I've got a basic understanding of what you're going for, but I think it's lost in the execution.

An image like this requires a lot of forethought and critical self examination if you want it to come off correctly. I'd even start by just sketching ideas by hand before launching into 3d, as it then becomes too easy get stuck in a box, whereas what you need to do is destroy the box and really push the boundaries of the idea.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Do any of you have any good resources for learning architectural and landscape model building via Grasshopper? It's the new hotness in the fields at the moment so I'm trying to teach myself.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I had looked at that page, but didn't realize how deep it went. I got the Primer from there before and have been working through it. There are a ton of video tutorials on there though. Thanks for pointing it out.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I'm looking to get into freelance ArchViz to see if I can pull in a little side money. Anyone have recommendations for must-know programs, work flow, price to charge, etc? I know how to model, but I need to learn more professional rendering techniques, especially lighting and materials. So if you have any advice on those it would be helpful.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Thanks for all the advice guys. Lots to think over. Luckily my brother is a lawyer, so contracts will be easier to fabricate.

Cubicle: in regards to this:

cubicle gangster posted:

Build up a small library of assets before you start - curtains, blinds, low poly furn for distance etc.

Any advice on where to start stocking up? I'm not planning to launch my business until at least the end of the year so that I can work through tutorials and build up a backlog of samples to show, so I'd love to get started.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Anyone know good places to get vray shader collections? I'm trying to teach myself vray, but I don't have any materials to work with.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone got any general advice or resources that have helped them manage large personal projects?
I start with a perfectly clear vision of the overall in my head which I have figured out in pretty sharp detail, but as I begin to get it blocked out it morphs and changes my vision of it as a whole, then gets hazier and hazier until eventually it's a complete mush and all i'm left with is 5 incomprehensible vaguely blocked out max files, some autocad scribble and 5 a4 pages of scrawl. I think I get stuck in the scaling of things too much, trying to figure out the reality of it all and how things actually work. I cant block it out without figuring that out though - that's part of blocking it out. I think trying to think about the amount of work involved on the whole thing is giving me a mental block too.

It's the third time i've tried to get work done on this project. despite having now spend a good 8 hours trying to work towards the same thing I feel like every time I sit down I end up further back than when I started. I only end up with more questions and doubts and no actual work to show for it. Tomorrow morning I'll be able to conjure up the exact same image I had in my head this morning, but right now I can barely even remember what it was supposed to look like.

Not sure if this is even the right thread, it's more of an art/design issue as a whole. Am I just really bad at this? I'm starting to think I should just stop pretending I'm an artist and stick to making other peoples designs look good.

Present it to somebody/charrette it out. You'll always invariably reach a point in your design where you poo poo the bed. Best thing to do is explain it to someone and ask for ideas. Explaining it and bouncing it off someone somehow helps you see the direction you need to go for the next phase.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

As long as you don't save files, you can use the Rhino demo indefinitely (and I think you get 20 saves?). Rhino is pretty big in the architecture world (more for creation and design than for viz, but you can render in it). If you really want to blow your mind, get the Grasshopper addon for Rhino. It takes some getting used to the interface, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and you can do some crazy poo poo with it. There are some good tutorials around for both softwares.

Also, poke around the SketchUp extensions world. I know some people were working on NURBS support. And programs like Kerkythea can push the rendering to a whole new level.

pistolshit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

This video might help you think about the complexity of a building collapse. The maker runs through different settings in Blender and shows how that changes the outcome. Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh3qUmNxC6E