Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Heintje posted:

Presenting:
When 3d goes wrong

What the gently caress Character Studio?

Needs more melting clocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Thats way I do it though (as said in my post), vray handles bumps fine.

Edit: Been creating some generic assents in a quiet period... and got thoroughly carried away. About 8 hours into it so far.

Looks great. Was the bloom post or what?

ninjaedit: Did you do the ivy yourself? I recall someone developing a generator that everyone over at cgtalk seemed pretty impressed with.

realedit: I'll soon be able to start posting some environment stuff as well; just got a huge promotion (Director of Presentation Media) so I won't be doing the basic client stuff that previously took up 80% of my time, and accounted for 98% of the soul-crushing that was my 8-5.

:toot:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 1, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I may have gone over the method before, but I cant remember. It's incredibly easy and looks really good, if there isnt one around i'll quickly write it up.

This would be an awesome addition to the new thread.

"Your renderings are hurting people's eyes. Please stop." - a vray tutorial by cubicle gangster

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Finally got some time to start working on some environments our dealers can drop playgrounds into. This one's going to to be used for some standard units we supply to Burger King. I started using gamma 2.2, and I think it's working out pretty well, though I've got some work to do on materials today, darken them down a bit.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

there is no add in photoshop

This breaks my brain. :psyduck:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Here's some reading on the mathematical side of the blend modes. I used this, along with the Adobe Blend Modes Addendum to translate all of them over to maxscript, for native comping. I don't use it a lot lately, but it really was useful for overnight batch rendering with our old multipass pipeline.

multipass

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 28, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

I hate Windoze and Crapintosh equally but definitely hate Vista over XP or 2k.

2k = greatest MSOS of all time. I remember the days of yore when uptime on 2k was measured in months at my house.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Oh god I hate people who can't manage their projects. The guys over in our shade department came to me and said, "Handiklap, we need a rendering of these grandstand shades." This would have been fine had they gotten me the designs and reference that day, Tuesday. Instead, they waited until 3:30 on Friday to drop this poo poo on my desk; the meeting these would be presented in was the following Tuesday at 11am. One inaccurate cad drawing, 3 barely useful reference photos, and 10 hours of work later, I gave them this:

Click here for the full 960x630 image.

Click here for the full 960x630 image.

Everything was modelled from scratch, except for the upper shade supports. The lighting is pretty terrible but that's what you get I guess. Hopefully the wonderful folks at BU will drool over it despite all the horrible problems I can pick out.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 5, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Oxygencult posted:

anatomy study, still very wip so crits are very welcome!

Really nice detail. The couple things I can pick out immediately are that the transition from the shin to the top of the foot seems a little bit thick from the profile, or it might be that the achilles is too wide; I can't see much definition of it in the posterior view. Take a look at the upper leg musculature too, there seems to be some lack of definition there (adducter longus/sartorius/rectus femorus/vastis medialis). There's just a lot of cut musculature in the upper body, and then it kind of gets soft below the waist.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

SynthOrange posted:

http://www.vimeo.com/1513129

This makes me want to jump for joy and also kill myself over how much time I've lost to rotoscope masking.

Holy poo poo @ the image stabilization. It was...flawless. It seriously made Joe Cameraman's footage look like it came off a boom setup. Fuuuuck.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I'm moving to a new building next week (holy poo poo I finally get 4 walls and a door!), and I've been laying some stuff out in anticipation. This uses the Mikael series furniture from Ikea.

I don't think the over/under monitor setup is going to be nice to my neck though...

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 28, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Wow, learn something new every day. How did I not know about this one?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Sigma-X posted:

adding something recognisable and different makes it easy to make it "your" AK.

I will accept nothing less than an accessory character model of Ice Cube.

:whatup:
You're welcome.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Sigma-X posted:

Here is where it looks like there's a symmetry line running down the middle.

If you're not using symmetry modifiers, you might want to play around with them because they are useful as hell

The foregrip is still really boxy - the thing is supposed to be curved.

Also, looking at the ref pics I pulled really quickly, I'm not sure what is hanging underneath the barrel. Looking more closely at it, it looks like you've got a weird flat strip going back to the gun? What is that going to be used for? You could probably model that, opacity is expensive.

It's a bayonet, but from the ones I've seen, they've got a filleted "T" cross section that tapers from base to tip, thought it would probably add 10 or 15 tris. It flips facing front on a slide-pivot hinge when used; you would wrap a finger around the little nub on the bottom, pull back to clear the hinge lock, and swing the bayonet to the front.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 3, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Man I really need to get back to material-based pieces like that, because the first thing I thought was, "Oh that would be simple to model, start with..."

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

International Log posted:

Not to derail or steal thunder, but our powers are needed here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969549

Your favourite smileys in 3d!

I did :haw: and :hist101: :

Go, my brethren, go!

Haha I was just coming here to post this. Get thee to GBS, posthaste!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Oh it is on in that thread

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

AntiPseudonym posted:

Okay, I've got a weird problem in 3DS Max 2008 on Vista.

For some reason, sometimes when I go around selecting subobjects in an editable poly, the viewport doesn't update correctly. As in, I'll select a vertex/edge/face, and the viewport will update for a split second and then go back to what it rendered previously. If I pan around the viewport it'll update correctly, but it can be really confusing (Not to mention infuriating) sometimes.

Using the D3D9 viewport renderer, running on a 9800GT. has anyone else come across this?

I get this same thing, though I haven't found a fix yet. Really loving annoying in subobject mode.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

International Log posted:

Haha, man. It's funny that EVERYONE I know is reacting the same way to this. I also think the same thing, and I wonder what they are going to buy next. C4D? Vue? Lightwave?

Worst case scenario? ChaosGroup. There, I said it.

edit: or SideFX :doh:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 24, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Heintje posted:

Watch this bitches:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54

Oh man I almost fell out of my chair! That was just what I needed today.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I've started building some outdoor scenes for product renderings, and I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on with my water. The actual water object is a plain box primitive. I've narrowed it down to being something in the reflection, but I can't seem to figure out what. It's got a bump and falloffs in the reflection and refraction slots, so nothing particularly fancy. I'm using an hdri as an environment background, and a vraySky for my gi environment. I'm still trying some other things, but I'd appreciate any insight on this. Max2008+vray1.5

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

edit: Oh gently caress me nevermind. I was using an existing environment I had, which i conveniently forgot to delete a vrayPlane out of which had a reflective white material on it, and was coplanar with the top face of my water. Haha yeah that looks a tad better. Also: ~2.2 billion polys in the trees, which of course is obscene overkill for that distance. I loving love vrayProxies.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 7, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

ACanofPepsi posted:

I've got a similar question involving a pop can in 3Ds Max.

My can is already made, but I'm trying to animate it crushing. I've converted it to an editable mesh, or polygon (I'm at work and can't check right now) . I have auto key enabled, which perfectly keyframes the actual movements of the pop can (Lifting and rotating) My problem is I want to animate the mesh points because I'm moving them to crush the can.

The mesh points don't seem to be reacting to me setting keyframes for them though.

What can I do to animate the deformation of this shape? I want to push some parts in, pull others out, squish it's height, and basically go from a full pop can to one that looks as it if were crushed in someones hand.

A stack with Edit Mesh at the top can't have animated subobjects, so I'd assume that the Editable Mesh object is restricted this way too. Edit Poly (and Editable Poly objects) can have animated subobjects, though using morph targets would be a bit easier to control than keyframes for individual vertices and such.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Holy poo poo facebook for graphics geeks. :unsmith:

edit: signed up as handiklap

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 20, 2008

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Slowly working on the lighting and props now that I've got a little spare time at work. I'm working on a new one from an old model I did when we painted our kitchen last year. The shot is going to be through the window over the sink, looking at the stove, but for now I'm just trying some (very splotchy) lighting.

higher angle

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 7, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Eep posted:

some of the mainstream gaming cards do very well, i do nuke/maya on an 8800gtx and maya on my laptop on a 9600gt, both holding up quite well.

I think bang for buck unless you know you are doing highlevel modeling in a 3d app or zbrush mudbox and need to have that quadro 3500 etc a card around the gtx285/295 or the ati 48xx will do excellent. If you're just getting back into it i would say go the mid range $300-400AU card and see how you go there, that with a quad core chip will do nicely.

The Quadro FX 3500 I use at work is hardly more capable than a good gaming card in MAX. That and it is loud as gently caress. The thing is driving me loving crazy, it's like a scale model of a turbine engine.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

It's like a Poäng Chair's great grandfather. I must have one, though I assume that's about as likely as me justifying a barcelona + ottoman.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Yip Yips posted:

Is that dirt or rust? It doesn't look terribly much like either yet.

To me it looks like what happens when you take a piece of rusty iron and wire brush it without grinding off the rust first.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Useless posted:

Finally had some time to get back into learning this stuff, and started pretty much doodling in Max yesterday. Combined with some work today, this is what I've come up with so far:

I realize it's dark as hell - still working on decent lighting.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

I think the [lack of] lighting fits the mood of the scene pretty well, actually. Don't know if that's what you're going for in the end, but with the right textures and props, it could do well dark. Consider how well-lighted, yet dark, ElecHeadMatt's alley scene was.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
This was done back in 2007, not sure how I missed it

:nws:holy gently caress.:nws:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 13, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Here's my bike I started modeling. As an exercise I think I'm going to attempt to model everything in complete detail, including wiring and internals (motor, brakes, carbs, etc.)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

wayfinder posted:

I disagree, I think the scratches and the wear are overdone. It looks like it's spent years in a box with 30 other metal toys, getting shaken about every day. Not like a full-size vehicle anyway.

I thought the same thing, but I think it would translate a lot better if the color wasn't so vibrant, as if it had seen it's fair share of sun fading.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
About to go shoot some texture references. Specifically, I'm taking a shot of an entire bundle (25 ft^2) of cedar shingles laid flat so I can have a good set of images to randomize from. Anyone want them when I'm done?

edit: Ok, so when you lay out a bundle of cedar shingles without any overlap they cover a hugenormous fuckton of square footage, so I only did about half a bundle. On the bright side I did have a good amount of sunlight so I think I can generate a specular map as well.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Crits plz. The benches and table are product too, but are more props than anything else as far as the vis goes. Granted, a comp I did a couple weeks ago sold some benches and tables so maybe they should be a little more visible. A little post bloom and a warming filter, but I don't know if I'm helping or hurting it's so subjective any more, especially when everyone around you is all, "Oh wow that looks awesome!!one" and you're all, "Yeah, I think it kind of looks like poo poo and I can't put my finger on it, but thanks anyway."

Click here for the full 1500x1000 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

:words:

No no this is perfect, thanks. The textures do need some work, but fortunately I've already got spec maps for all the wood so I can adjust from there. Lower frame is all steel so more subd on the reflection should do it. I think my biggest problem is trying to have everything "how it exists" and not "how it looks best", like increasing the spec or gloss on the left bench would obviously bring out the highlight and detail on the back, but it never crossed my mind to actually do it, like I'm drawing too fine of a line between aesthetics and honesty, if that makes any sense.

The materials you've got are great, but I think you could balance them out a bit with some pieces of paint/plaster peeling up and away from the surface. It just screams "simple object with a very nice texture" - not necessarily a bad thing, I just go overboard with detail modeling - so I think adding a couple pieces here and there where a shadow can creep under would really convince me. The surface pulls up around all the cracks with your bump like it wants to seperate.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 11, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yeah I'd like to do that aswell, but I think there's something like 15 windows on this particular building, and they'll all be relatively far from camera so...I'm not sure the investment would pay off in the final render.

Yeah I don't like that either. I don't know quite how to have the gain appear around the cracks, but not have the cracks themselves look so deep. It's a tricky situation I'm not sure how to fix.

Ha my knee-jerk reaction was "well then just model it". That's my [ill-advised] solution to all complex texture problems. I really need to just sit down and learn how to UV some day.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Gettin' there. Still some modeling and materials left to work on, and add some arch details to the building.

edit: added some more windows and interior walls

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Unexpected EOF posted:

When I think overhaul, I think "tear it all down, rebuild." Not THIS:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Reminds me of old Combustion.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm curious, has anyone here played around with Imagemodeler? I read in 3D World magazine that while it's nifty, it's got some kinks that need working out, not sure if you guys have thoughts on working with it.

I actually have a tab for that open right now. Our tensile fabric division is looking for something to assist in architectural reference modeling, and the director came to me with that and PhotoModeler. I'm really partial to Autodesk since we use AMD, Max, and Inventor already, so I think I'm going to grab the ImageModeler trial and try it out this weekend.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experience with it, or any other photogrammetry ware as well.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Did some grass r&d this afternoon :)

From http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/04/vray-grass-tutorial-part-2/
Only mine is far far simpler. (and too big - it was just a rough test for the overall look)

I had fooled around with this method a while back with a similar scatter painter. Although you mentioned the blades were too big, the first thing I thought was that with some radial bunching, a nice path array along a sidewalk would make for a great ornamental monkey grass border. Great material btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Puppet posted:

Sup guys.

I've been 3d modeling for about 6 months now, and using mainly modo for about 3.

This is one of my newest renders, trying to learn a bit about displacement.

That sand is pretty dope. I assume you were going for a rain-eroded kind of look? The diffuse texture on the bricks could use a little work; the bricks seem to blend into the mortar a bit too much, maybe just some dirt would help.