Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Did this one today. There's about 32 unique stone meshes, randomized mats. Mortar was with a relaxed blobmesh of all the stones, offset away from the facing. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Click here for the full 1500x800 image.

edit: yeah yeah not enough bounce whatever

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

wow blob meshing of the stones to create mortar? 32 unique stones? That seems just a tad overboard. There has to be more efficient ways to do that. Displacement, for one.

It wouldn't have been much fun at all just dropping a displacement map on a box, now would it, smarty pants? :colbert:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Ok the unique stones I can definitely understand. Sometimes you DO have to go overboard on that. But blobby surfaces for the mortar? What exactly does that accomplish? It offers zero benefit as far as I can see.

It accomplishes getting the mortar to rise in relief as it nears each stone, despite the relative orientation or translations of the stones. If you've got a better way to do that, I'd love to hear it, seriously. Man that sounds so snarky, but I'm being earnest, please make this quicker than blobmeshing 1 million polys because I applied it to my full res meshes instead of a less dense clone since planning isn't my strong suit run on sentence.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Okay I see what you're saying. However you have to ask yourself, is it noticeable? I can't really see it rising in relief near the stone's edges at all. It looks like a sligggghttly deformed plane with a soft bump on it. So you have to ask yourself "If I'm not getting close up on this..is it worth the effort to accomplish an effect that isn't noticeable from the distance I'm rendering at."

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I mean there's nothing inherently wrong with what you did, and if you get close up on it then it could be a nice effect. But just judging from the distance of that render, the same effect could be gotten more efficiently with a slightly deformed plane with a soft bump.

Can you get a render right up on the stones so I can see it better?

I agree with what you're saying; it definitely doesn't pull up as much as it should around the stones. The blob needs more intensity and less iterations, but I think it can do what I want it to. Doing it with a blob was my way of avoiding going through and reorienting all the stones to be more planar relative to one another. I think the theory is there, it just needs some coercing to do what I want, and probably some better textures to make the effect more convincing.

There's just a challenge to doing things the hard way that I simply cannot avoid. Now you've got me thinking about make a surface from all of the outermost edge loops...it would probably work actually...

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Wheeeee!

Had a couple of hours spare at the end of today so I did a render to fit my music. 'schtick' is the name I go by for it, it's all dark n' poo poo.

Oh gently caress beaten irl :argh:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I'll be taking both these comments on board, cheers guys!

On a another note, why is this speckling happening with regards to reflectivity to materials? I've increased the Shadow Samples on the Sky Portals to no avail...

I'm not sure about mR materials, but if that were a Vray material, it would be the reflection samples of the material. There's also a sample interpolation toggle which would help render time and the "smoothness" of that reflection at the cost of accuracy.

hope that helps

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

hah, they are.
They look hosed up, just because it's not exactly a common sight. Thats actually how big they are though, it's weird.

I might just swap them out because it makes the scale of my scene look wrong.

stupid reality all up in your photons n poo poo

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

No I didnt! It's a displacement map.

Although you can then say 'you used a 4k x 4k displacement map on a glossy reflective floor' and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

There's no bump is there? You put all the grain in the displacement as well didn't you? Say yes because that would be awesome.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, question for people who do a lot of their own scipts and programming out there. How do you get to a decent level of ability at it? I'm self taught so I can accomplish very basic stuff, but more complicated scripts just have me stumped. Is it as easy as picking up Programming for Dummies or do I have to go through a Computer Science Bachelor's degree?

Honestly a lot of it is just basic logic theory - syntax is syntax, but logic is universal. I would say UML flowcharting might help, but it's always seemed a bit...remedial? I wish I could recommend a book, but I haven't really read any other than some old java and c# stuff from college, though a generalized dummies book would probably do the trick. If you have any questions, I maintain a decent amount of maxScript (almost identical to java, syntactically) code at work, so I can probably help you out if you're stuck on breaking something down.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

EvilHobo posted:

I'm absolutely astounded by some of what I have seen in this thread and can't help but wonder: how long did it take many of you to reach the standard of proficiency that you have in the work that you do? As a beginner looking to do this sort of thing as a hobby it's all very daunting. (Please pardon me if such a question was asked earlier, I admit to not having read the entire thread)

Far too long for the skill level I'm at, though in my defense this is my first production environment and I've only been here 5 years. So with that preface, I started with the solid modeling extension for autoCAD R12 DOS. 15 years ago freshman year of high school.

Here's the first model I ever made. The dwg file sat around for years before I rendered it in Max r3. The toy I used as reference sits on my desk to this day.

Post your oldest work you can find.

edit: haha I found a 4096x2200 image of that same shot. I can't even begin to imagine how long it took to render.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 21, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Kirby posted:

this is the earliest thing i could find, I think the assignment was in Rhino, and to model a lego character then model your face and put it on;

:gonk:

Han Solo account found!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

This looks like an incredible caricature of Teal'c.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

spottedfeces posted:

All right guys, time to tell me what you think. One higher rez, the rest smaller.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

The only thing that I'm not feeling is the sharpness of the post shadows on the left wall; if the sun is at such a low angle, you'd be getting a lot more light scattering in the atmosphere, softening the shadows. Otherwise looks great!

edit: after reading kirby's comments, I'd agree that getting some ambient in there may do the trick instead of futzing with the sun.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 27, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Here's one that was a rush that actually didn't come out too bad (despite the fact that I had to factor in time to render at 200dpi for an Arch-D print). No time for light and material tweaks, which it needs quite a few of. For a sense of scale, the benches are 8' long, and the columns and rafters are 14"x14".

Click here for the full 1735x713 image.

1:1 detail of one of the columns with one of the submaterials having a horribly small diffuse noise map.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 18, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Hinchu posted:

drat, that poo poo looks expensive!

All in all, including swings and a soccer field, it's a $300K project. Structure alone is probably about $70K.

So is there a clever workaround to bending max's wood map? Certainly there's a quicker way than rendering out textures for each unique grain pattern...because I really don't want to do that with 50 of them.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 19, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I quite like this - but one thing that might help is in your next bit of downtime create a field surrounded by trees/distant buildings - looks really odd without a background floating in space. Even if you're going to fade it to white, a hint of context would help.

Yeah we're still building environments, although they do get alpha cropped and put on a standard layout.

also, success:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 19, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Sigma-X posted:

How? Was this simply a matter of putting an edit UV modifier on the mod stack before the bend, or is there some secret tomfoolery going on?

I just took vrayLightMtls and bumped up their output and then baked the textures out. Once it's a uv'd texture, you can anything with the mod stack. Unless I'm missing something simple (very possible), the wood map is a volumetric procedural, so it's completely independent of UVs, so you're forced to rely on the texture's coords rollout to change grain direction, because I couldn't find a single way to configure a uvw map to affect it in any way. I've got to be missing something though. They must have anticipated this kind of usage...

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

The Merkinman posted:

Of course if I followed the floor plan by the scale it had listed the doorways would be ~450mm...

I didn't even have to convert that to imperial to get a chuckle out of it.

Aargh posted:

Who uses Imperial these days anyway? :)

Imperialists. :colbert:
please kill us

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Hinchu posted:

Sweet, looks great. I'm seconding the crit on the silhouette though.

And rather than show off another boring photo of one of my rigs, I tweaked the texture on this guy and re-rendered him.

I feel like I have no idea wtf when it comes to textures. This is one of my better ones I feel but I still feel completely inadequate when it comes to texturing as a whole. I feel annoyed because I want there to be more varying color, but he's made out of just one material. I tried introducing some more subtle greens overall.

You might try examining which parts would get more use than others over the course of their lives, i.e. anywhere there's a joint with metal rubbing on metal, there would be metallic dust, leading to [apparent] increased oxidation near those areas, so lots of dark browns, sea greens, and maybe some blues.

The Merkinman posted:

I don't quite understand your critique of the refrigerator though.

I think he was getting at a couple things; one that a fridge door is only going to be so big before it gets heavy enough to unbalance the unit when opened. The other was with the "framing" of the cabinets around the fridge itself. Personally I'd put a slight gap in there, but I have seen a lot of installations (and maybe this is just in America because we shoot first and aim later) that have the fridge effectively built in to the cabinet with practically no gaps around the moulding/fascia/whatever.

edit: on second look, I see there's no cabinet panel to the right of the fridge, so there's really not much issue with ventilation, but yeah, without a gap between the top of the fridge and the bottom of the cabinets, it would be impossible to replace with a taller appliance.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 8, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I've been tasked with building a new dedicated rendering machine. This one will be a trial/test box that will be serving 2 or 3 of our divisions (likely 2 people max per division). It'll run xp64 pro, max/vray/backburner. If this machine impresses, then I'll be building an additional one with a much larger budget. For now, though, I've got about $1k to spend on hardware. I've got a case, hdd, and hids/display for the occasional local access, so I'm configuring for a cpu, ram, and mobo.

It's a toss-up between the L5410 (harpertown, LGA771, 2.33ghz) or the similarly priced E5520 (nehalem, LGA1366, 2.26ghz). Anyone have any experience with these two? The obvious choice is the new tech, but I'm wondering if there's any glaring failures of one over the other in the context of rendering...anyone have a suggestion?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Ratmann posted:

The only failure on the i7's is not having enough licenses :haw:

These processors are fast, my i7 at home is just as fast or even faster than dual proc quad core systems I've used. It's a great, great CPU for rendering, so yeah, I'd recommend the i7 stuff over the older tech, though how much ram are you looking at purchasing?

Depending on the amount of stuff you'll be doing I would not recommend less than 8GB of ram, as a minimum.

Yeah I figured 4 was a bit underpowered. I've got 4 in my desktop at work (dual 1.6ghz quad xeon) and I've been feeling that for a while now. I was leaning towards 8; we can go from there if necessary when we do the second box. The work is a bit of a combination between mechanical and architectural. All max+vray, everything you'd see in a public park; playgrounds, shelters, turf, benches, etc. Exterior setups for the vast majority of the stuff.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

ACanofPepsi posted:

awesomeness

Yeah it's always a bad time for my wallet when I configure a new machine at work. Sometimes I really wish I had a reason, any reason, to justify dual i7 xeons in a new personal machine.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

International Log posted:

I heard from a guy at my local IT shoppe that intel wasn't going to make dual i7 boards, but then again, i hope he's wrong.

ACanofPepsi posted:

This is a waste of a quote, but I didn't know such a thing existed. I need to research more outside of the personal computing realm.

Sorry to confuse, I meant the nehalem core xeon 5500 line, which is practically a rebranded i7 with added ECC support.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

The Register posted:

Finally, in all the hoopla about the dual-socket Xeon 5500, the single-socket Xeon 3500, also officially announced today, received short shrift. Even product line manager Thorne referred to it as "essentially a rebranded Core i7" with added ECC memory support and enterprise-level validation.

Link

edit: Wow, now that I reread that, it appears he's talking about the single socket 3500s.

edit2: ok this clarifies it

As for the procs, this first machine is only getting 80w E5520s. You can definitely spend as much as you've got on a xeon, but the price point doesn't go too south until you get to the 5540.

Haha, just noticed the 130W Bloomfield core, spiritual successor to everyone's favorite Presc-hot.

Ratmann posted:

I wouldn't waste your money on it. I'm running an i7 920 at home and it's loving great, it rivals any dual proc I've ever used, and more, and they're getting a lot cheaper now.

I can't really speak on the comparison, but consider that these new xeon 5500s use the same core architecture as the i7s. Although single threaded operations will likely run faster on an i7, multithreaded (any decent renderer out there) will be working with 8 cores vs. 4 (16 vs. 8 if we're talking ht), as well as a much larger (144gb large) potential pool of ram. Depending on your usage, that would probably be the deciding factor, because it's just about the only saving grace of the double tap you get when it's time to upgrade. If you're looking for value, which I'd guess most of us are in a personal machine, then yeah go with the i7. If it's performance you're after, there is a middle ground to be had with the xeons that is still a decent enough value to keep my interest.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
double post

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Ratmann posted:

Isn't the dual proc mobo use some different type of ram that's always stupid expensive?

ECC ram actually isn't too much more than non-ECC, about
35% more. ($215 vs. $160 for 12gb of crucial) Wasn't always the story though.

I'm not sure, but I thought I had read that the 5500s supported - but didn't require - ecc ram anyway. I might be just making stuff up now though. In the end, lots of ram + lots of active uptime, the more errors, which in a server environment where uptime is primary, the cost for ecc is well worth it. I'd like to see some figures on it though, because many of us use "servers" as workstations, so I wonder if the added stability is really justified in that kind of situation.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 15, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been working on loads of stuff for 12 hour days. But it's boring as gently caress and not my design.

Here's one I finished tuesday!

The station thing is like 95% done, just need a couple of hours to package it all up. But i cant until this job is done in 2 more weeks :(

I've really got to get into the arch vis sector. You think that's boring? Try rendering the same structures over and over again. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of r&d/pipeline stuff that I do and enjoy, but man this is just not my kind of fun anymore. "Grass is always greener..." can only comfort one so much.

edit: lovely job market, current stability, blah blah blah :(

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 17, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Hinchu posted:

Was tweaking Smasher's rig and I decided to do a quick render. I'm really liking the way these rigs have turned out. Smasher's hands now stay put on the hammer, and I have 2 goals that I move around to adjust the hammer rig. The hands stay rotated and fixed on it, and the arms move separate. Woot! I still need to UV texture Smasher.

I'm really digging the materials and lighting, however preliminary they may be. It looks incredibly polished for a test shot!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BigKOfJustice posted:

the sports car/ chrome robot / anime chick demo reel stereotype

Wait wait wait so you mean all this...I've spent...I don't have...

gently caress.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Gentlemen, we have Expenditure Approval™

E5520 Nehalem Xeon 2.26GHz (x2)
12gb Crucial PC310600
Asus Z8PE-D12 Tylersburg mobo
500gb mirrored raid
16gb Transcend SSD(SLC)

case, cdrom, psu, as5, XPpro64

I have no idea if the SSD will do us any good, but I'll be damned if a snappy boot sequence doesn't impress the suits, and for $142, it'll pay for itself in that respect.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Click here for the full 1500x800 image.

Ok so I'm still struggling with making my grass do what I want it to. I'm using Advanced Painter to spread some vrayproxies over this mound of dirt. In the end, I have to go back deleting those that get placed coming out of the concrete pad, and in this case, end up having to stand away from the borders I want them to cover, like next to the stairs, or really against any standard concrete pad/sidewalk. An easy fix would be to just throw a concrete abutment on the sides of the stairs to have something to "absorb" the errant blades, but that's really a non-option when it comes to spec'd drawings that don't call it out. Even then, I've still got these overly-thick pads to try to stem more obvious intersecting, which looks kind of awkward, much like the word, "awkward". I could go back and spread some smaller, more sparse proxies along the edges, but I was trying to avoid something so tedious, since this setup only took a minute to paint on.

On a more depressing note, I'm realizing that my trees and bushes look like complete poo poo in comparison, even using only 1 unique proxy to do the whole lawn. Man, you can never fix just one thing.

edit: However, I did go through with all the wood grain I had been fiddling with a few pages ago; I don't think there's a piece of stock in there that has a duplicate grain pattern, which is affected with a single toolbar button :smug:

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 29, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Listerine posted:

Have you put this together yet? I have grant money that I can put towards a computer, so this is the first time I've ever been able to consider a dual Xeon machine but I haven't been able to find benchmarks that compares a set up like this to the current i7 processors. I'd welcome even anecdotal information at this point.

In fact I don't even know if there are OS limitations with server motherboards.

I went on vacation the week I ordered all the parts for this machine, so it was only up and running an OS (xp64) on Friday. Would have been sooner, but there was some incompatibility between my motherboard and power supply. The board actually wanted two 8-pin eps12v connections, so I just said gently caress it and soldered up an adapter to use two rails of 4-pin molex. Worked great, and even the lovely cpu fans did their job. I'll let you know how it works out on Monday after I do some comparitive tests, although I'm not sure how much good they'll do you, as I'll be comparing it to an older gen 1.6ghz dual xeon system.

I can say that the ssd worked out awesome. From first [pre-install] boot to desktop in under 20 minutes. I haven't been able to clock a cold boot yet, but I'm sure the numbers will be similarly impressive.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Unexpected EOF posted:

Jesus gently caress, I almost want to learn zbrush after seeing that.

There is no want. Do, or do not.

Man what in the gently caress just happened in that video...

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Aargh posted:

If you present it as a polished final render there's a bit of a feeling that this is the whole concept and colours and materials are locked in stone, conceptual renders on the other hand leave a bit more room for the client to be a complete and utter oval office and change their mind every three loving hours.

This is the ultimate single line treatise on customer satisfaction in our industry. Thanks for starting my day off on an awesome note.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Maybe a repost, but it deserves it:

http://tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen.htm

This took about 30s to generate in Max2008-32 with default randomized values (which have a few too many windows for my tastes). Does UV and material application. It can even automatically export vrayproxies. Hells yeah.

Options Ga-loving-lore

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 29, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

The Merkinman posted:

cubicle gangster
Maybe the oranges look off because it's just completely the same texture and doesn't have the navel or whatever the ends of an orange are called.

I see one on the second from the right, albeit quite small. I was going to mention playing a little with the diffuse, get some slightly more yellowish patches. To me they look too orange.

edit: The specular is good, but the reflect amount is getting me. Organics are going to have a subtle bit of sss which would naturally diffuse the reflection, though some fiddling to bring the reflect down while keeping the highlight might help without having to go through the trouble of tweaking an sss.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 27, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Working on a generic pool environment for our water slide division. Still needs a few more props...and the privacy trees aren't really doing it for me. I guess they would probably all be pruned to the same height.

Click here for the full 1200x533 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Fool Circle posted:

What would be the best way to quickly model some ribbed cabling like the black part of this in Maya? I'm pretty new to the software, having only started using it on this college course, so sorry if this is really really easy.

I could probably easily just do it as a texture but I'd rather do it in the geometry itself. Am I gonna have to add about a million divisions and extrude in and out?

I have looked around the net for tutorials, but I'm not exactly sure what to have looked for, and "ribbed cable tutorial" isn't helping much.

keep in mind that that tubing is actually a spiral, so a close up shot would probably reveal a bit of an angle to those divisions. If I had to model it (in max), I'd make a helix with 4 sides, 1 rotation, and just tall enough to fit the inner groove in there, convert it to a poly, make an array for however long you wanted it, weld them together, select an edge and loop the selection all the way around/down its length, clone the edges out to snap to the opposite side and weld them together. Displacement would be much better and look just as good with far less work. A simple gradient ramp with enough uvw offset to make it spiral around it would sort it out.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Every viz place I know of uses gaming cards now (3, including us), and for the price they are far superior to any quadro.
VRAM depends how often you use smooth & highlights, having a gig+ available does make a difference when texturing large scenes.

AND THE QUADRO FAN NOISE OOH GOD THE NOISE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE KILL ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

That's what I figured. I was eyeing an overclocked 260 but I haven't looked at vid cards in so long, I am pretty lost as to where the "sweet spot" is for bang vs buck.
Also, does SLI even matter for using say Mudbox or Maya?

From what I've worked with, bang vs. buck doesn't start working in your favor until you're looking at the quadro FX3000 series and up. Any quadro less than $800 is pretty much garbage compared to some of the higher end gaming cards, and even some of the $1k+ quadros are arguably inferior, poly-crunching-wise, to a souped up 9000 series.