Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Woah that is sick as gently caress. We've done a few quick and dirty gopro-on-a-stick facade captures for, like, cheap reference, but this is just...sublimely novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I was too in love with how the ivy looked backlit like that, staring at the image at 200% zoom.
My boss at DBOX has said that's my main weakness too - allowing the overall impression of an image to be sacrificed for the sake of details hardly anyone will see. I should make time to be aware of that.

This is exactly my problem, so lately I've been sort of just leaning into it and going full macro bonkers with my personal stuff. It's sort of forcing me to take that granularity I really get lost in and use it to guide overall impression. Articulating essence through physicality, instead of simulating physicality through essence, like I'm used to. It's really making me take a step back and refamiliarize myself with fundamentals in a way I haven't been able to be self-critical about in years.

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm calling this done, I've entered it as it is.

This is the image it was based on - an early illustration Hugh Ferriss did in 1943 for Trinity portland cement.

Wonderful submission, btw! I think your subject matter really captures a lot of that grandiose mystery->survey->discovery vibe I get from Ferriss.

Love the use of tyflow for the floor; was that destruction setup as easy to play with as it looks from the brief glimpse we got?

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 19, 2020

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
those frames rule and the environment setup looks fun as *poo poo* to play with

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Man, what a long year. I haven't posted anything in a while, so just going to image dump a bunch of personal work I've been loving with. My old studio went under over the summer, so most of these are just practice to keep everything fresh while I figure out my next move; lots of material experimentation and vray (I skipped v4!) exploration. Using a lot of maxscript (and now, tyflow I guess) to approach things when I can. I've been doing some vague/light process blogging (over here if anyone's interested), too, which has been a boon to keeping productive, even though it feels absolutely...self-indulgent? Whatever, I'm having fun and staying sane; highly recommended!

material studies; the peppermints are all native max maps

https://vimeo.com/458009528
experimenting with tyflow to simulate the raindrops

mood & material study, tyflow cobwebs

mostly modeling study; got really inspired by an interior in Arch Digest

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 15, 2020

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Some more personal work, since that's cool & good again. The Moccamaster was a discord server challenge this month, and I pushed myself to use the Vray VFB for final images, which is *waaaay* out of my comfort zone. I usually rely heavily on elements and masks and do a lot of work in PS/AE, so it was a bit worrisome, but I think they turned out pretty ok.

I had done a rural porch scene last year that was supposed to explore some positive vibes, and it quickly went off the emotional rails and turned into this foreboding...thing. So here's my second swing at capturing hope + renewal. A bit more successful this time I think.

Artstation w/ progress

I'd been pining over some retro tshirts with those quintessential stripe elements from the late 70s/early 80s, and then got on a nostalgia kick for a school environment

Artstation w/ progress

e: and on an even more hopeful note, I scored a call for Friday with a studio looking to expand this year, so fingers crossed!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 28, 2021

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Thats great stuff and I'm totally jealous of anyone that has free time to work on personal stuff. Between two kids (one being 18 month old) and my demanding real job... My talents are severely atrophying and I'm at like this real crisis of consciousness moment where I think it's time to give up on my dreams. I'm too old and my body hurts and I'll be over 50 before I had another moment to work on my own stuff.

Ugh sorry that's a downer.

But your work is awesome. Seriously good stuff. I've been pining over a lot of shirts/jackets with that classic stripe set too. It's raged back into style

Thanks, it means a lot!

I think it's always good to be mindful that it's a struggle to balance the self-serving stuff with the in-service-of-others stuff. I'm definitely getting to that age too where I'm actually having to do work to reconcile a lot of weird misgivings I think we all might collectively have about what work is or should be, *especially* since it's so easy nowadays to let passion drive ambition & vice versa. I don't know if that's more unique to creatives or not, but it seems to make sense with how easy it appears to burn out.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Long time no post, so here's an art test I did recently for a position I don't want.

In related news, hopefully bringing this entirely-too-long-stretch of unemployment to an end here in the next few weeks. There's a place that does some automation work that really dovetails nicely with stuff I was doing earlier in my career, and I'm about to schedule Interview IV: Leadership™. I'm trying to be patient and comfortable with the idea of interview processes lasting multiple weeks stretching into months, because apparently that's just how it is now, but ffs this is just such a lovely experience on the whole. I keep telling myself that there's a ton of people out there vying for these positions, and that I should be proud I've gotten past interview 1, let alone a second or third, but it's getting harder and harder to chalk it all up to 'pandemic factors'. Multiple potential employers, usually nearly a month after applying, all with the most achingly slow scheduling practices that stretch an interview process into weekly installments of 'next steps' to eventually vanish without a trace.

That's my wasteland job hunting story, let's hear yours!

Tipps posted:

TLDR: I know that if I keep practicing and making stupid poo poo like the below, eventually I'll get good at this.

Don't sell yourself short, this is incredible progress and I'm super excited for you. It's amazing how accessible all of this stuff is nowadays. Stuff like gamejams help to provide a lot of organic/practical problem-solving you wouldn't run into just going through tutorials, but that was definitely something beyond my confidence when I was getting into cgi, so kudos for diving into it like you did.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Looks great for what I'm assuming is a Wayfair position, ha.

My only critiques are very minor and are art direction - not technical. On the right side:

The stacked frames is odd. Someone with a space that nice is not going to stack two frames and then an A on top.
The small stack of books on the right side looks a little odd too. I'd put maybe one or two, but not a whole stack.
No mouse?

A Wayfair-esque position for sure. (is goon Gearman still with their imagery r+d section?)

agreed on all points, especially the mouse that is, apparently, on a hidden layer. I'll offer my avatar as sheepish acceptance of the book/frames critique.