Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Are you using displacement anywhere? That will push your memory into crazy land when using Vray. Why are you using realflow? If it's for the water you can do that with some simple noise maps in the bump slot.

Cubicle can probably give you a better guide for tweaking render sampling settings, but one thing you can try in the global parameters is to limit the trace depth to 3.

edit: hang on are you rendering in Rhino with Vray? That shits crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah max is wildly poo poo with viewport performance. If you are looking for a card for that, just get a decent Geforce and save yourself over a thousand bucks.

edit: The other thing about max's viewports is that it draws all of them at once unless you disable the inactive ones. The best thing to do is to just maximise one viewport and get used to flipping between views with hotkeys. Also learn how to get objects to display with bounding boxes, use layers as a quick way to hide things, etc etc. I always swear at max whenever I get something half complicated happening, YAY for learning houdini now.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

A5H posted:

No I'm not using displacement as far as I know.
I used realflow to model the water. Didn't realise there was another way to do it? Does it look as good the other way?

Yeah I'm rendering in Rhino with Vray what's crazy about that?

Sorry I'm so vague, I don't know some of the terminology you have used :(

oops I missed your reply somehow. Hrm not sure how to do water in vray in rhino, but generally it's just a flat plane with a bump map assigned to make it look wavy and a reflection type material (it's more involved than that to look as good as it does in the pic, but you get the gist).

Rhino and vray would be kinda interesting, since Rhino is nurbs and I used to have a wonderful time trying to tesselate out to polys or use IGES for going to max. The renders came up nice though.

Have a read through vrays sampling settings and start tweaking away:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=565133
http://www.3d-palace.com/forum/3ds-max-forum/13351-speed-up-v-ray-rendering.html
http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/62

Those are for 3ds max but I'd assume the vray settings in rhino are very similar.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
I can't remember if there's a specific vray fur thing, but I've seen people get good results with displacement. If you go any of those paths though your render times will be annihilated. My recommendation would be to do it in a seperate pass with everything else except for the surrounding walls deleted/hidden.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Do tell how you got the anisotropy looking like that on the black stuff. I always have trouble tweaking that.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

International Log posted:

Its just a heavily tiled noise map in the bump slot. Glossy reflections set to .7-ish. And a black diffuse color, that's all of the settings. :)

Oh, well that would work. I guess you just have to be careful of noise creeping into the render there.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Double that number if you want to include the Savannah campus.

Yeah the fees are loving massive, thus the reason I'm leaving to do an internship. I just can't justify spending that much for a postgrad when I can get the same outcome through other means. Sorry SCAD.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

SynthOrange posted:

That was quick Hein. :(

Yeah, it was. To be honest I was there to get an industry hookup like that and it served it's purpose very quickly. So I'm happy about that.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Haha maybe, apparently they have something in mind for me to work on- I find out what when I start on Tuesday. I'd say it'd be more a "oh that sounds cool to make, off you go then" and then I hunt down the appropriate developer when it doesn't work.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Slap me in the face if i'm going out of line here, but wouldn't it be cool to have a 3d "gang" logo like all the other subforums have?

I recommend that someone draws a cube in MS paint and writes 3D next to it.

I'm seriously considering doing this for my next run of business cards :P

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
3Delight is free and pretty powerful, though it's a REYES type scanline renderer, it has a raytracing engine but it's not really it's focus. The documentation for it kinda sucks though and it can be hard to get decent images, you may need to code your own shaders too.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Nah you should be fine. The non commercial/free license from their website gives you 2 nodes, non watermarked. It's a good way to get familiar with the way Renderman does things too, but there are little differences that can be really annoying at times (since the documentation just isn't there regarding that).

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Ahh poo poo I saw this on CGsociety the other day when I was browsing. You are mad, MAD to do this in max, doesn't that amount of detail in the viewport make you want to kill yourself?

ninja: I'm working on cloth stuff at SideFX, I can't say much about it but I'll put up some demos in about a month.

Elentor posted:

Thanks for the comments :)

Hey there. Took a 10 days. I made my own sketches - a page for the entire ship and about 6 pages detailing the engine and the different parts. It's mostly a fanart. Mostly.

This was my first sketch and most important one, albeit the ugliest:

Besides the hull and the plates everything is separated, sorry. I had to work this way because since the poly-count was too high, the only way I could finish it was to model each part in a different file then merge it all together.

I did it in 3D Studio Max.

It's posted here in CGSociety: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=737406 it comes with the working link for super high-resolution version (2096*3072)

If you guys can rate or comment I'll appreciate, thanks!

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Sigma-X posted:

What would he do it in that handles that amount of detail better?

Max with 4 gigs of ram and a 2 year old processor and 2 year old video card handles 8 million tris in the viewport just fine, and it'll render more than that.

Oh I disagree, when you get over 300k it starts to lag whenever you want to even select vertices. They need to rewrite the viewport engine IMO.

Pretty much any other package will handle it better than max, even sketchup probably. Rendering is not too bad but the godawful lag is just not worth it with general tasks.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah when I do anything in max with some amount of detail I seperate things out into layers. Makes it easy to hide stuff that you don't need. I still hate it though :)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
All of max just needs to be re-written, I could bitch for hours about how the software hasn't really gotten any better over the last 10 years in so so many ways, but I'll save that for when I'm next drunk with cg people.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Rsugar posted:

As someone who is semi-new to the Animation/Modeling software that currently exists, I realize that there are many to choose from. For the past two years, I've been using Maxon's Cinema 4d. While it is good for general modeling, there are few good tutorials or lessons for it. Many of them require plug-ins that cost money which I can't afford. I've been looking at 3dsMax and Maya, but those also carry an insane price. Can anyone recommend to me an alternative to C4D that doesn't cost me money I don't have?

Houdini has a free learning addition available for download on their website, and it's node based like C4D. I won't lie though, it's poly editing and character animation tools aren't well developed as yet though. For making other cool stuff like things blowing up, particle effects and crazy procedural stuff it's The poo poo.

I'm working on demo material for the new version so when v10 is released in around a month I'll pimp it here some more.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
^^^ Yeah seperating things into layers and being smart about it is the way to go, what did you use for the cloth in that anim btw, it's working well.

Listerine posted:

I'm sure you're restricted in what you can say about the upcoming version 10, but can you comment at all on improvements to poly modeling, and will they continue the apprentice HD for version 10?

Yeeeah can't say too much about 10 but unfortunately the poly tools are still pretty horrible. I've been having probs with topology and their equivalent of doing smoothing groups like in max. I might hunt down the dev responsible for that area and give them a big list of the basic things that could be done better. They still work though and once you are used to the shortcut keys for zooming around and selecting it's OK.

Yup apprentice HD 10 is going ahead as far as I know :) If you have the v9 HD I think you have access to the H10 beta but I might be mistaken.

edit:

So whats the learning curve on houdini? Always wanted to make awesome particle things, but when it comes to learning, i'm dumb.

Well, I'm not gonna lie, you have to be pretty quick upstairs to switch to a procedural workflow if it's not what you are used to. Particles are actually pretty easy- they run nice and fast and so you get instant feedback. It becomes a little trickier when you need to govern how various forces interact with the particles- there is no tick box for "increase with age, up to a value of 10". The way you would do that is by typing
code:
 clamp($AGE, 0, 10) 
into the force amount or multiplier box. (Don't quote me on that code but you get the idea).

And if the force was acting too quickly over age you just go back and change it to
code:
 clamp($AGE*0.5, 0, 10) 
THEN you can right click that channel box (where you typed it) and go 'copy parameter', go to lets say a drag operator (because you want lots of drag at the start of the $AGE) and go 'paste copied relative references' which puts this into the channel:
code:
ch("../ForceOperator/forcemult")
To make lots of drag at the start, but under a value of 15 modify that to:
code:
clamp(1/ch("../ForceOperator/forcemult"),0,15)
Phew, hope you get the idea of what I was saying there. Now whenever you want to go change the way the Force op is doing things, drag will automatically adjust for it.

I can recommend these tutorials for you if you want to see how these things work:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=3431&cat=117&page=1

I'm doing a pretty big scene at the moment with about 1.2m polys being influenced by a sim. It's really cool that I can bundle up all these different systems in the one file and selectively look at different bits while working. It means I can really control my memory footprint when things get that size.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 18, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
On that note, in addition to the sideFX forums this is the other big place to talk about Houdini: http://forums.odforce.net/

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Join usssss. It's bliiiissssss.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

*head explodes*

No but really, that looks challenging indeed. I think i'd lose patience very quickly and would start throwing dinnerplates against the wall, or something like that. maybe I'm a bit more visual type person, I dunno. But i guess trying couldn't hurt...

Aaaah I'm melting my brain on a daily basis. I like to think I'm getting smarter but I find myself trying to open doors the wrong way on a more regular basis.

On the other hand when you pull off something mentally challenging and it looks freakin awesome it's fun to yell gently caress YES. (I just did that this afternoon, I'll point you at the renders when they are public).

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

zeldadude posted:

Thanks for the answer and tips, both of you. Here's something I've been working on today.. my first night shot. Still tons unmodeled and textures suck, but oh well.

Click here for the full 2000x1000 image.

Lots of possibilities for lighting there, that basic blockout is going to be interesting, keep us posted.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

EoinCannon posted:

Hinchu: Displacement maps don't always kill your render time. Like most things it depends on how you use them. If you don't have a lot of raytracing going on in the scene, displacement maps shouldn't increase the render time dramatically. Generally speaking, if you need to alter the silhouette use displacement, if not use normal/bump.

It also depends largely on the base algorithm\type of renderer you're using. For REYES type renderers (renderman, mantra) that are heavily scanline based displacement is at almost no cost, though you do at times have to screw with the displacement bounds to get an artifact free result. It just goes ahead and does what you think it would do for the most part (yay for micropoly rendering).

But with Vray and Mentalray which are more raytracing based, displacement can be a total bitch to tune up and get working, generally render times are substantially increased. Though it's only been a handful of times I really bothered getting it working properly so I'm no expert. It can also screw with your lighting models depending on what you're using with these renderers. When it DOES work and work well with Vray's lighting models it looks amazing.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Hahahahaaaaa ooohhh autodesk, how can you make max worse.

But did they fix the viewports?! That's the thing that has pissed me off the most about it.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Nice work! props for finding that king of project in Adelaide ;)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Naaah I'd say Adelaide is more boring than Perth heh. What gets me is these FFC branches that throw govt money at film projects... AND give them tax breaks. Film is really just another business, why don't they fund things like games companies seeing as that's a bigger industry now?

The best reason I've heard is that films have a cultural impact worth investing in locally, since if they are shot/set locally then they reflect that area. I suppose film has also been around a while, so they have had an opportunity to dig their nails in, unionise, etc etc.

And great work on lighting that stuff, it polished up really nice. Now to get my rear end to work and see how my cloth sim went.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Unexpected EOF posted:

When I think overhaul, I think "tear it all down, rebuild." Not THIS:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Baaahahhaa that colour scheme has been in there as an alternative UI for as long as I can remember, just not set as the default.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Have a look through these, I've found them to be pretty awesome for quickly getting up to speed with rendering nice smoke/fire etc:
http://www.allanmckay.com/tutorials.html

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Whoohoo Houdini 10 is out :) I can finally show you guys the cloth/deformation stuff I've been working on:

http://sidefx.com/ten

cloth vid:
http://www.sidefx.com/images/stories/products/houdini10/06.mov

The big things with the new cloth solver are plastic deformation and dynamic tearing, I've been working with the dev getting this stuff functional and demoed so ask away if you have questions.

Some of my renders:

(The cloth master multiplier is visualised as a point colour, red means stiff/resistant/damping and dark means more squashable)

This guy was rendered using the physically based rendering system. It's pretty easy to get a nice looking image though at the moment very slow (which will change).

With the v10 release we now have fluidFX on par or better with Fume, and can distribute the sims over a farm, there's a distributed render manager in the works and a bunch of other features you can watch videos about. woo.

So, ask questions!

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
What the christ, goons permeate every bit of RL it would seem. Sweet. Yeah pick my brain about car smashing, I might put some info up here later since it was fairly involved in some areas. I *might* do an LA class at some point if I'm over that way before SIGGRAPH this year.

Hinchu posted:

That's looks pretty sweet. That would be fun to do on a spaceship fight sequence!

Being a nitpick but... whoever recorded that needs a puff screen on their mic.

Hahaha yes. Yes they do. I will say no more.

tuna posted:

SideFX needs a new "toon" character because that one they keep using in demos and as an example is just :gonk:.

Those plastics simulations look really sweet and so do the rest of the new features in 10. I'd totally use Houdini if it didn't suck for animation.

Aww cmon the little dude can't help the way he looks! I think I hosed up the shader on him with the build I rendered in, there's no occlusion (maybe). Will have to check that.

Animation wise yeah, it didn't really come from that background and I'm not an animator so can't comment (another intern animated the toon rig). However- the curve editor pisses me off less than any other package's equivalent, and that is a serious boon. Yes it is. I loving hate curve editors. I haven't tried any rigging as yet but I have a feeling it will go OK, the good thing about houdini is that it pretty much does what it says that it's doing, so would take a lot of mysterious linking out of rigging.

Here is the Stanford Bunny getting pwned from a previous test:

edit:
I made these yesterday, here is my old city growing out of the ground. I used a real world dataset I got from a job before so the buildings are within 30cm of real world dimensions.

vid:
http://www.msawtell.com/temp/initialTest.avi

And here is some noise moving through a bunch of planes:

http://www.msawtell.com/temp/awesome1.avi

Heintje fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 17, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

BigKOfJustice posted:

You can adjust spring strength, if I recall it's similar to a cloth simulation. Mind you it'll only get you so far before you start having to hand tweak things.

I haven't seen a good car crash impact that was entirely convincing come out of a raw simulation yet, its a fine balance between looking like rubber and looking like a mess of sharp degenerated polygons.

Often times you'll need to rig a car/truck/etc that's being torn apart to augment the simulation.

Often times violent impacts are so fast you never really see the transition and you can use a blend shape instead.

We were experimenting with using houdini 9 with this [in the past we hand did things with simulation for secondary animation] but we didn't really get anywhere in time for use with our last project so we did it the old school way.

I'll probably bust out my old test I did [tractor trailer collision/disintegration] and try to do it again as a home test in houdini 10 this summer.

I haven't tried ncloth or the cloth from H9.5, but the new model is physically based and calculates sim results by taking a point and it's interconnecting topology, then measuring stretch, shear and bend for the initial substep. Then depending on how much it has deformed in those directions, it will introduce forces to sort of "push" the cloth back towards it's rest state, the strength of the force is defined by a stiffness parameter. As it loops through substeps it moves closer towards a more accurate result, then terminates and that's your frames result.

Then there's other stuff in there like damping (how fast the forces diminish as they propagate from point to point in the topo), plastic flow threshholds (the point at which plastic deformation kicks in), plastic flow rates (how 'fast' the plasticy material will now adapt and remember it's new state), aaaaand a bunch of others to do with tearing, hardening etc.

All those properties aren't just defined for the mesh as is, but are defined as a modifier to the stretch, shear and bend behaviours/measurements. So you can have things that don't stretch (ala cloth) but are very bendy. For the car it has a very, very high stiffness and damping, with some leeway in stretch, multiplied by the painted value which defines softer areas- that way the front gets smashed up and the body resists deformation.

Back to my pftrack/syntheyes test. They make me want to hurt things... I have an OK track, it looks fine, but for FUCKS SAKE why is PFtrack loving up every export format in a fantastic way, and making crazy UV layouts for it's camera mapped triangulated royally hosed grids. It's a grid! It's not that hard. Now let me export the drat thing easily too. With it's texture, into a jpg. Yeah that's right. Ugh.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
^^^ PFtrack makes me want to kill things. Here is a frame from a camera mapping system I'm making up:

And here the cloth picks up UVs constantly via the camera plane for the polys that are still sitting on the ground, and when they start moving it makes it static. It's a bit smeary but the theory is there:

What this means is that since I have stored the frame that a poly starts to move off the ground, as an attribute for the points on it, I should be able to texture the polys with the frame sequence. That way I get the optimal camera map/texture as each poly leaves the ground. Plus I can go back and change the simulation and it will automatically do everything I just said. I can't believe this is (almost) working. ha.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 24, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Here's a render with it working:

At the moment it's only assigning a texture map on a per polygon basis, so there are some jaggies that you'll see on the edges of the 'path' as it floats up. I'm going to have to look at making some kind of insane interpolation thing to smooth that out. So what I have now is a camera mapping system that lets me point the camera at something, stick a plane there, gently caress it up and it automatically looks "correct" as far as mapping the texture onto the deforming stuff.

Of course getting the lighting right, the track and blend thresholds are all another matter. I might be able to get the cloth to tear only on bits of the video that are of a lighter colour, thus the path automatically tears off.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 25, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

ACanofPepsi posted:

I can't even begin to wrap my head around how you might have set this up, what software are you even using?

Absolutely fantastic job though, the results you're getting are amazing. I'd love it if you did more status updates.

I'm sometimes struggling to keep up with myself too haha. I'm using houdini, and starting to code my own operators that control how data is manipulated on objects etc. I should have a nice render out this week or so, I'm pretty much there with this solution apart from a few niggling problems.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

sigma 6 posted:

This guy does amazing work.

http://www.davidoreilly.com/
http://www.vimeo.com/davidoreilly/videos

http://www.vimeo.com/3388129

Heintje: That's fantastic work! Is that for the Houdini competition? How important is it for me learn python for Houdini?

Whoa those videos are trippy, good stuff. Nah I'm just doing it to figure out how one might go about comping CG stuff into a live plate. I got a little preoccupied with the camera mapping technique but learning a lot getting it to work. I wouldn't worry about python straight up, just get into houdini as per normal and then get into VEX. Mainly because you can make vex nodes pretty much anywhere, and screw with point attributes on geometry and/or shader networks with it. Here y'go:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1235&Itemid=216

Oh, they reference python straight up, I should look into it ;) Actually all the shelf tools are python scripts, so yeah it's good for creating nodes with various properties in an automated way.

Anyway, this afternoon I felt like making the Earth, so I did:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yep, drop everything after :31 and put it on Vimeo, the work at the start of the reel is a lot stronger than the rest.

For those that want to see the crazy camera mapping thing on the path, here is a test render:
http://tinyurl.com/d4y86b

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Just run everything through after effects and put the glow filter on it :D

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Edmond Dantes posted:

Heintje, sorry to bother you, but I would like to ask you some questions, is there any way you could contact me? (I don't have PM and I don't want to make you post any contact information you'd rather not).

My mail is axeldr@gmail.com

Thanks in advance, mate.

Yeah easy, emailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Odddzy posted:

The modelling of my final team project for this year is pretty much finished :)

not pictured: the trenches, the broken buildings, the not-broken buildings, the barb wire, the tanks (or tank, it's just an instance :P) and pretty much everything else you would imagine in a soviet warzone. (the building's name is the palace of the soviets, it was supposed to exist, unfortunately they used the materials to make defenses during world war 2 and the project got aborted)

I don't know how cool the whole thing will look like in the end, generally people are awed at the scale of everything but we are only 4 (well, 3 really, I won't go in too much detail but some people haven't got much motivation in the team) working on the whole thing, one week to texture, another to animate and composite everything (there won't be much animation).

The questions about the smoke I asked earlier in the thread were concerning this projet.

Waddya think?

Daaamn, that is a good model. It would be great fun to comp it into a nice sky, poo poo flying around in the wind and a bunch of smoke and burning stuff. Just to tear things up in general.