Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm curious, can anyone recommend a good website for downloading stock Maya elements, whether it be (character) models or fully rigged characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can anyone recommend good tutorials on rigging car/vehicle models in Maya (or any industry standard package)? Gnomon doesn't have any dvds on that subject and the closest Digital Tutors has is rigging "toon" cars

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ACanofPepsi posted:

I am new to 3D Studio Max, and have only really focused on rendering because my primary interest is adding CG to live action. I downloaded the car models from a site I found. If anybody is interested I'll look for the link.

I'd be interested in seeing what links you've used, I'm trying to get into 3D for the same reasons and would love to see how you learned your pipeline

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

International Log posted:

Not to derail or steal thunder, but our powers are needed here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969549

Your favourite smileys in 3d!

I did :haw: and :hist101: :

Go, my brethren, go!

In the thread you say you use Vray, how long did this take to render? I have a few more Vray questions but you don't have pms...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

International Log posted:

I'd say about an hour each, maybe less. No I don't have PM's... maybe I should buy plat. :)

Also, you could just ask here, plenty of people in this thread who know a lot of stuff. Naturally I would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Well I'm new at this, so I'm trying to break down your model into steps. I'm more of a Maya user rather than Max but I assume you took a sphere polygon and then made booleans on the face for the expressions (teeth being entire new shapes)? Not sure how you approached the helmet except that it's probably a separate polygon from the head.

I assume the heads were standard matte material, but when you textured the metallic objects did you use a custom texture?

I'm not even sure what to ask specifically about Vray (just know that it's thrown around a lot) as I've only used the standard Maya renderer, and nothing near "photorealism" so if you explain that process to a retard, much appreciated.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

Hey folks, I've been lurking this forum for a while and thought I'd post.
It's been slow at work so I've decided to start doing speed models to get better at human anatomy and sculpting in general.
This is my really dodgy likeness of Dave Letterman done in 2 hours on a slow day. I just used one photo to see how I went from limited reference. Max for the base meshes and Zbrush for all the sculpting. Couldn't be bothered rendering it so this is straight outta zbrush.

nicely done, but from my non-technically proficient mind, the forehead is a bit exaggerated, not sure if that's what you're going for...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Handiklap posted:

This was done back in 2007, not sure how I missed it

:nws:holy gently caress.:nws:

I scrolled past that going "okay saucey reference photo, now let's see the model"

"where's the m-ohhh...."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just wanted to let beginners like me know http://www.sharecg.com is a pretty good resource similar to http://www.highend3d.com

they provide a pretty good cache of files in different package formats, if anyone knows more links please post

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials on using procedural (or even mental ray) textures/shaders in maya? In terms of dvds I know Gnomon and Digital Tutors go into them but they are more along the lines of a Maya + Photoshop pipeline, UV Mapping, or simply going into the basic UI. I'm looking more for a project where they build a texture for an object from the ground up, showing you the thought process behind each node

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I went to SideFX's Santa Monica office yesterday. It's cool because they give a free basic UI demo for Houdini (though their rigging and lighting classes cost some money).

I used to think Maya had a steep learning curve but drat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sigma 6 posted:

You were there for the UI workshop on Wednesday? So was I . . . wtf?

Hmm...which side of the law were you on?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sigma 6 posted:

The law? I was the guy with the hat in the back. The only guy with a hat.

haha, I usually sit in the back of classes so nobody can see what I'm surfing on (umm...not that)

I was in the middle row to the left most side, asian guy. The only guy with asian.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm curious, has anyone here played around with Imagemodeler? I read in 3D World magazine that while it's nifty, it's got some kinks that need working out, not sure if you guys have thoughts on working with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

No I didnt! It's a displacement map.

Although you can then say 'you used a 4k x 4k displacement map on a glossy reflective floor' and then I could say 'yeah what of it son'

drat, where does one even get a 4k X 4k image of a floor? Minor suggestion, think you should do something about the wood texture on the chairs, I think they're what give it away most. (coming from an amateur keep in mind, it's looking good otherwise)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heintje posted:

^^ oo nice shader.

Sculptor guys, check this insanity out:
http://www.mudboxhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357

The thread seems to have been deleted, can anyone say what it was?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hot drat that is drat hot

Also, the cock of the walk cycle was excellent. I was half expecting him to throw up though...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So I just came back from Gnomon Live in Hollywood (I volunteered so I got a free pass)
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/includes/gw_live/2009/about.html

and while I had already read in Wired Magazine about Star Trek creature designer Neville Page using prolapsed anus pictures for reference
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/multimedia/2009/04/pl_screen?slide=6&slideView=7

I didn't think he would actually show a slideshow. And linger. On each...and every...one

Yes so I just got Goatse'd times ten at the Gnomon School for Visual Effects as an early birthday present, how was your day?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hate to whore myself here, but anyone else planning to do FXPHD?

http://www.fxphd.com/courseInfo.php

I figured if so one of us should refer the other to get a free class

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

brian encino man posted:

How long do you think each challenge should last. 2 weeks? 4?

Sigma think of this as community college art. If you can interpret the theme in a way you want then do!

I am no way in competing shape but I would love to help you come up themes for the contests seeing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Unexpected EOF posted:

Generic interaction between two people or just standing around, 10-30 feet, nothing complicated, no money I am poor and it is for college.

The last part, you see, is the problem.

What Ratmann said. Also what kind of angles, this is a 3D scene yes? Would you be satisfied with 2.5D? If so you could always do it in After Effects using keyed footage of people

And off topic but, you know Riley Mason is on the open market now right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HOB V2.0 posted:

Hey guys.

Just got into the 3d arena not too long ago. Working primarily in Rhinoceros and Vray.

Here's a mostly finished model of the FN P90. Measured it accurate to .01mm in most places.

Click here for the full 1536x802 image.

Here's a quick model of Jailbot from the tv show Superjail that I made.

Click here for the full 1896x1052 image.

Just got into it in April and have been into it practically non stop since. Thinking of branching out, but I'm not sure what to branch out to. I like rendering a lot, but I also like model creation.

Advice on future projects would be welcomed.
Try rigging and animating

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Well I'm fairly sure he used 3D layers in AE soooooo.

2.5 out of 3 aint bad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ratmann posted:

:arghfist::mad:

Looks like I'll be talking to these people in NY.

I'm sure your people can smuggle you in

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5227

article posted:

The Chaos Group offically releases the long awaited V-Ray for Maya.
Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Advertisement
The Chaos Group team is excited to announce the official release of V-Ray for Maya. The comprehensive set of features provided by V-Ray for Maya includes true 3D Motion Blur, Sun & Sky procedural lighting system, Physical camera for matching life footage, Environment Fog, a set of Sub-Surface Scattering shaders and many others. V-Ray for Maya is supported on Windows, Mac OS X, and Red Hat Linux and Fedora operating systems in their 32-bit and 64-bit versions. V-Ray runs with Autodesk Maya 2008, 2009 and 2010 versions.

V-Ray for Maya now enables the rendering of larger scenes with greater complexity while at the same time artists can rely on a faster rendering stage without compromising on the quality side of their work.

“Having used V-Ray in production for many years, and having been involved in large Maya centric pipelines, it was great to finally put the two together. Now that V-Ray can work inside Maya in virtually the same way that it operates in 3ds Max, it allows for a more flexible pipeline that would allow for the same high quality output that you expect from V-Ray. Being centered on a solid V-Ray Standalone pipeline allows you to use V-Ray within Maya, and have your whole renderfarm operate outside of Maya. It also operates nicely within a Windows or Linux or Mac pipeline which allows for even greater flexibility regardless of the size of your project” says Christopher Nichols – VFX Supervisor.

V-Ray for Maya advantages and key features:
Chaos Group improves render times by taking advantage of the V-Ray for Maya licensing. Each V-Ray for Maya license allows the usage of up to 10 additional render nodes, running either in Maya batch mode or as standalone render servers through the V-Ray Standalone application. The Standalone application allows rendering to occur independently of Maya and is considered as an outstanding option to boost the speed for both standard and distributed rendering.

The beta version of V-Ray for Maya has been used in numerous productions and VFX studios, and the feedback received during the development stages enabled Chaos Group to create a product focused on real needs and challenges in everyday rendering operations.

V-Ray for Maya is US$999 or EUR 719 per license, depending on the region of purchase. Purchasing one V-Ray for Maya license gives a lot more than just a single rendering license. It allows the rendering in interactive Maya environment of one computer and another 10 computers running as render nodes. These render nodes can run in Maya batch mode or as standalone render servers through the V-Ray Standalone application, independently of Maya. These can also be used for the simultaneous rendering of a single frame across 10 computers through the Distributed Rendering mode. If the users require having more than 10 rendering nodes – additional licenses can be purchased for V-Ray Standalone which can be used as standalone or through the Maya batch mode.

The Chaos Group licenses full computers, not CPUs! The more CPUs you have per computer, the better you utilize our single license! Also, V-Ray for Maya is distributed through electronic download only. A hardware lock is required for the licensing system and is provided upon purchase. Additional V-Ray Standalone licenses are available for US$299 / EUR249 per computer.

Also, if you missed the SIGGRAPH news, Chaos Group also made a number of significant announcements at SIGGRAPH 2009. V-Ray for Maya and V-Ray RT got their public presentation. Without any doubt the most remarkable among Chaos Group announcements was a full presentation of GPU-based V-Ray solution during the V-Ray User Event on August 6th. Chaos Software revealed test results showing that the new upcoming technology already features rendering speeds and quality that exceed existing GPU accelerated raytracing applications.

More than 150 attendees at the New Orleans Marriott Hotel at the Convention Center followed the demonstration of test rendering performed by V-Ray on GPU. Chaos Group showed a complex scene with 800 000 polygons and multiple bounces of global illumination rendered with V-Ray on the GPU with 6-7 frames per second at VGA resolution. This demonstration of GPU-based V-Ray solution was one of the highlights of the SIGGRAPH.

interesting...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

More quiet time in work...

Playing around with a watercolour/sketch style in photoshop. It's an old render, just loads of PS over it. Quite like how it turned out, definatly need to get some more practice in with this :)

Everybody pay your fuckin respects to Cubicle Gangster, don of Archviz

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Travakian posted:

I'd like to post my comp and my comp/mograph reels here for you guys to critique, but I'd rather not have a link here to me in real life, if you get what I mean. Any suggestions? Could just toss on YouTube on a disposable account, I reckon.

Or you could try not pissing off goons here :)

Seriously I have a vimeo account you can use if you want to send me the file (believe me if I was going to steal a reel, I would simply steal it from studio footage)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

:frog:

Hey, do you have offline contact info? I wanted to ask you something about your matchmove from the other thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just a trailer, but I saw Logorama at a screening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6962z69_P20

It's a "long short." Nothing particularly special from a technical achievement standpoint as it is cel shaded, but it's fantastic and I urge you all to watch it when goes online

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heintje posted:

Someone NEEDS to do this as a joke, and work Colin's bear into it.

set to this theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE&feature=player_embedded

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

Jefferoo - I'm not sure how this would gel with the actual curriculum but encouraging non 3D specific art apreciation and knowledge in some way would be something people could benefit from

I'm getting close to finishing this piece, it will be posed slightly to break up the symmetry and the base will be redesigned a bit I think. I think it was BigKofJustice that suggested I model an animal so thanks for the idea dude, I had heaps of fun doing it.

MAX for the base mesh, Zbrush for the sculpting, one gigantic 32 bit displacement map, pflow for the grasses, mental ray for rendering

I'm consistently amazed by your work. The only thing about the John Lithgow one, and I'm one to talk because I don't know the hipbone from the neckbone, but the cranium struck me as relatively large

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe this belongs in SAmart but I'm not really "selling" it per se. I've got this still shrinkwrapped
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/275/

Intro to Corel Painter, not really 3D but yeah, if anyone wants it either for the cost of shipping or wants to swap it for something else (non-Gnomon dvd training or good CG books)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BigKOfJustice posted:

* - No, claming that leading your guild in World of Warcraft does not qualify as leadership experience. :doh:
Please tell me somebody did this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ceebee posted:

Holy poo poo Brock has got some Liefeld poo poo going on with his arms.

That's all American my friend

That said nice Zbrush skills Suarez

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

That's hilarious

I had a situation where we had 24 hours to finish a pitch for a TV show to be taken to MIPCOM in cannes. The creator/director was supposed to take me through a whole bunch of scenes that he wanted setup for print. I show up in the morning and he had been up all night drinking and taking ecstasy and I literally couldn't understand what he was saying. He had also convinced someone else to come in and help, but they had agreed to it while he was drunk and couldn't remember why he was there. Best 14 hour day of work ever.

"Eoin...y-you have beautiful skin you know that? It's like watching a nebula"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

butterypancakes posted:

How basic are those Nuke tutorials? I don't do a whole lot of roto, but I've been thinking of getting off the sinking ship that is Combustion.

You mean the dvd training with the jet fighters on em? I would save those for last if you can since from what I hear they are already covering outdated versions

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Looks like Eoin got himself onto the top row of the ZB forums. Good stuff.

He's on the cover of a CGArena magazine too http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/ezine/jan10_issue.html

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GrazoTheClown posted:

I give you.......A LAMP!

Turn down the intensity

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vimeo:youtube::pitchfork:rolling stones

A while back I mentioned a cel shaded animation called Logorama, you can now watch it online and it's in the running for Best Animated Short at the Schloshcars

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc3h1f_logorama_shortfilms

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ratmann posted:

Everyone watch this now, ogogogo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-qLBXIX2Mk

Cinema 4D scrotum :nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ysl_lq7IU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mutata posted:

She's just as digital as Bogdan's model.

Seriously I think at least 3 women went into the making of that body