Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not sure the rules about selling here but is anyone interested in a EVGA 3080TI at cost? My step up pinged but I don't have a persronal use for it. Wanted to give an artist a crack at it first. All I ask is that you have post history in this thread. I have until the end of the day (pacific standard time) to pay for it

Mods: I can make a SA mart thread for it if necessary.

edit: dibbed

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Listerine posted:

What is the cost?

gonna wanna take a deep breath
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-3967-KR

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

any unreal users on an older rig? I haven't gotten around to building a new one yet and I'm on a 1070. Wonder if it's still usable

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SubNat posted:

I mean, that depends entirely on usecase? My old laptop had a 1070 and it did everything in Unreal very well, as long as you keep away from raytraced stuff.(For realtime, anyhow.)
(It could do it, but non-rtx cards are a slog once RT goes on, though I dunno how they work with lumen, since it has some non-rt modes as well. You might get decent perf in the non-RT-accelerated versions of lumen for example.)

If you want more complex lighting you might need to lean on baking scenes lighting more, but a gpu like that can still crunch millions of polygons and render heavy scenes in VR etc etc.
But yeah, a 1070 is more than enough as long as you don't want to play with RT.

So it depends on what you want to do, really. What are you aiming to do?

render out some animated sequences

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Good to see your work still impressive after all these years

Also can you send me a quokka

I need it for reference

Yeah

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

looking at all the past Unreal free monthly marketplace assets I missed. Does anyone know what month/year they started doing them?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I thought I dled December's assets

when I was getting January's they were still in the shopping cart :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’ve never done anything but the free expo pass for siggraph. Can you buy the premium later and watch recorded events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Swamp posted:

I graduated in 2020 and most of the people in my class don't work in the industry. Nowadays a portfolio fresh out of college isn't enough for most people to find work. From the feedback I got fresh out of college, I needed a lot more work on my portfolio and I needed to practice. So I did a lot of personal projects.

I think the advice I would give to graduates now is to find a niche (like biomedical visualization for example) and build your portfolio around it. It's a lot harder to get a job as a "generalist" with one character and a low-poly axe on your Artstation.

Personally I went into toy design and just got really good at ZBrush, so I do that now. That was probably a dumb decision on my part (way less jobs, obviously competitive) but it ended up working out for me and I'm happy where I am.

curious what do they do now