Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

The jolly, candy-like button!

Nap Ghost
I'm the "boob lovin' dude" who did the girl+flaming background render in Kirby's gallery post on the first page..

Here's a new render, still work in progress:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

I'll have new renders with lots 'o CG boobies to show you guys soon. I have a reputation to live up to now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bioware has finally released part of our CG trailer for Dragonage! We finished it back in January '08, so it's great to finally see it posted for all to see. :D

Dragonage - "The Grey Wardens"
http://dragonage.bioware.com/gallery.html#videos

Since the video is heavily compressed, I've included a few high-res stills from our master:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

I was the Lead TD on this one, so I did lighting, rendering, shaders, FX, crowd setup, compositing and pipeline. As part of my role, I also consumed more beer than any other person at the studio during the course of the project...
If anyone has questions for me about the project, please feel free to ask and I'll answer them tomorrow. (I'm off to sleep now)

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Odddzy's questions answered!

How big was your team?

The core team consisted of about 10 people- 3 leads, 4 experienced all-rounders and 3 juniors. Sometimes we'd get some additional help in- For example, a couple extra people dropped in during the modeling phase to help create all the character models.

How did you plan the whole thing?

The animation was broken into 11 scenes, each containing anywhere between one to twelve shots. Each scene was assigned to a person based on difficulty and complexity of the scene. That person was then responsible for rendering all the passes for that scene, spotting glitches and fixing them, etc.

Animation was a mix of mocap and keyframe. The director storyboarded everything, and choreographed the fights after the boards were approved. For the mocap we typically hire gymnasts or professional fighters depending on the character we're capturing for. My favourite mocap performer on this project was the 'fall-down' guy- basically he came in for a day to do all the death and impact moves, which involved him throwing himself to the ground over and over for a full day in many creative ways! He could really sell the way a moving body crumples after a death blow, it was like watching a half-life 2 ragdoll.

What was the biggest difficulty your team had to face?

Scene number one was a monster- it was the first scene worked on and one of the last finished. In the video I linked, scene one is the tracking shot over a battlefield littered with bodies. In that video the shot cuts away, but it is actually one 1200-frame long continuous shot- all the way from the severed head on a pike to zooming into the hero's eye. There's so much geometry in the scene that some passes would need 16gig of ram to render, and if memory serves there ended up being about 70-75 passes in total. Scene one was assigned to me to render, but everyone on the team worked on some part of it and we're all really happy with how it turned out :)

How long did one frame take to render?

Accounting for all the various passes, I think the average frame time worked out around 20-40minutes a frame. Shots with lots of FX would be higher, maybe around 60minutes once you factor in various Afterburn and FumeFX passes.

What programs did your team use for the whole animation?

3ds max 9 64bit and Vray for rendering, and the usual assortment of FX plugins such as Afterburn, FumeFx, Particle Flow tools box 1, and HairFX for hair / eyebrows / eyelashes.
Keyframe animation was done in biped, and mocap data goes through MotionBuilder before it can be dumped onto biped.
Comping was done in AfterEffects. I'm slowly trying to convince the powers that be to move to Fusion. One day I'll have node-based comping again! One day... (I learned comping in Shake)

Any interesting anecdotes that might be fun to share with us?

I guess one of the more unusual aspects of the project was how violent the clients wanted it. This lead to some funny feedback, such as "Can we get another severed arm in the foreground there?" and "Can we have the severed head on a stump ooze blood from the eyeballs?"

The goriest scene we did isn't in the edit they released, either! I can't describe what it is until Bioware include it in a public trailer, suffice to say it's fun to watch people's reaction to it :)

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
High-res copy found!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43598.html

DefMech posted:

Is that 70-75 passes for one scene or one shot? Either way, I'd love to know how that breaks down. I use Vray every day, but not anywhere close to this scale. The complexity of a project like this is fascinating in how it diverges from our own workflow.

All those passes were for one very long shot. I pulled the archive for the project this morning, and it looks like I over-estimated the number of layers in the shot- the total was actually around 61 :)

Here's a list of all the passes. This shot was rendered with 'fake' GI, where you render a Diffuse Filter pass (no light/shadow), a Diffuse Pass (Key light and shadows), and an Ambient Occlusion pass then comp them together. This saves render time in cases where you don't need true GI but want a similar look.

S01_BG_Ambient_Occlusion
S01_BG_BasicLayers_Precomp
S01_BG_Bodies_Ambient_Occlusion
S01_BG_Bodies_Diff
S01_BG_Bodies_Shadow
S01_BG_Diffuse
S01_BG_Diffuse_Filter
S01_BG_Haze
S01_BG_Haze_NoMatte
S01_BG_Normals
S01_BG_PreComp
S01_BG_Reflection_Filter
S01_BG_Specular
S01_BG_Velocity
S01_BG_WireColour
S01_BG_Zdepth
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_AmbientOcclusion
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_Diffuse
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_DiffuseFilter
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_ReflectionFilter
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_WireColour
S01_BG-Carnage_Pass_Zdepth
S01_Carnage
S01_DynamicLighting_FireA
S01_DynamicLighting_FireB
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_AmbientOcclusion
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_Diffuse
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_DiffuseFilter
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_ReflectionFilter
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_Velocity
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_WireColour
S01_FG_Head+Flowers_Zdepth
S01_FlagFix
S01_FlowerPreComp_Input
S01_FlowerPreComp_Output
S01_FX_BloodDrip_Flower
S01_FX_Embers
S01_FX_Fog_CameraPath
S01_FX_Fog_CloseUp
S01_FX_Fog_Midground
S01_FX_Fog_Distant
S01_FX_Fog_Distant_NoMatte
S01_FX_Fire_A
S01_FX_Fire_B
S01_FX_Smoke
S01_FX_Sparks_A
S01_FX_Sparks_B
S01_FX_Steam
S01_Hero_AmbientOcclusion
S01_Hero_Diffuse
S01_Hero_Diffuse_Filter
S01_Hero_Reflection_Filter
S01_Hero_Shadow
S01_Hero_Velocity
S01_Hero_WireColour
S01_Hero_Zdepth
S01_Horizon
S01_Horizon_Zdepth
S01_Mountains
S01_Mountains_Zdepth
S01_Skydome

I found something else that might be of interest to you as well- here's a GIF I made a while back that shows the compositing progression for a shot from Sacred 2:

Sacred 2 was much less complex than DragonAge, (the core team was only 4 people), but I hope it gives you an idea of how the various passes are layered up.

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You guess correctly! The velocity pass is fed into the Reelsmart MotionBlur plugin for After Effects, which blurs the various parts of the image in the correct direction. One or two shots used Vray's 3D motion blur when the post-blur looked wack, but the render hit is too much to use it on all shots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
For shots with mostly side-to-side movement (XZ, Z being up), we use the vrayWireColour render element and a wire colour randomiser script created by a friend of mine:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/random-wire-color

Reelsmart has an easy time keeping track of the nice big solid blocks of colour you get with a WireColour pass. For example, this works well on characters when their arm passes in front of their body. If the colour is the same for the whole character, Reelsmart would lose track of the arm in the above example.

Here's an example, again from Sacred 2:

For shots with mostly depth-based movement (XY,Y being depth), we usually have to fall back to using the VrayVelocity render element. We usually try the wirecolour method first, as it takes alot longer to setup and use velocity passes.

This rockin' tutorial for max8 explains the process, and is applicable to the latest versions of max:

http://www.revisionfx.com/support/faqs/motion_vector_FAQs/motion_vectors/#3d%20Max%208

Just use Vray's Velocity element instead of Max's, and the 'Max velocity in last frame' Vray element value is the same thing as 'Maximum velocity' when the tutorial refers to it.

Good luck! :) If you have trouble following the tute, let me know and I'll try and dig up some examples of velocity passes we've done from our archive.