Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

anatomy study, still very wip so crits are very welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Handiklap posted:

Really nice detail. The couple things I can pick out immediately are that the transition from the shin to the top of the foot seems a little bit thick from the profile, or it might be that the achilles is too wide; I can't see much definition of it in the posterior view. Take a look at the upper leg musculature too, there seems to be some lack of definition there (adducter longus/sartorius/rectus femorus/vastis medialis). There's just a lot of cut musculature in the upper body, and then it kind of gets soft below the waist.

Akaikami posted:

Shoulders (arms as a whole almost) look a little small and neck looks a bit too long. Also, that looks like a very unhealthy bodyfat %. I'd recommend putting some more weight on him and using bodybuilding pictures for reference. Then you can really see the detail in the muscles and get the placement perfect because bodybuilders are quite possibly some of the best people to take anatomy reference from when first learning. Hell, you can even study extruding veins from some bodybuilders which is another nice reference.

Thank you for the good crits, they really helped me take this sculpt further. I guess there's still some weird anatomy here, but as a sculpt i kinda like it as the way it is. Next time i'll definately add some more fat around the body, but this time i really wanted to keep it low so i could see how the muscles interact and so on... :)

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

zbrush doodle

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Kickass looking sculpt EoinCannon

Here's something relatively old school, i did a diffuse texture (1024x 1024) for this Goblin SDK that was released in Polycount. The awesome model and UV's were done by MoP
(http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69806)

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Trying to learn Blender and facial topology...

current wip, C&C very welcome.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Ratmann posted:

Why?

http://www.nevercenter.com/

Your welcome.

Because i might have to use it in work related stuff soon, but thanks for the suggestion!

here's the current wip, noodled some more on Blender, and brought the low poly to zbrush for sculting, still a long way to go...

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Worked on the sculpt some more and cranked out a quick normal map on Xnormal, render in Blender internal... getting there i think, still not sure about the distance between the eyes and ear, maybe i need to shorten it a bit...

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

trying to learn making real-time assets & rendering realtime gfx, lot's to learn, especially how to unwrap and get rid of the seams... High poly sculpt can be seen in the Zbrush daily thread...

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Hazed_blue posted:

Looking good so far. The two things that I think need to most work right now are the macro detail and color variation. I see a lot of good micro details there with the wrinkles, but they're also very dominant right now; I'm not getting a good impression of the overall shapes going on with his face. Play with the shade, and use some variation for the different areas of his face. Most important thing with the shade is to avoid simply using black. Skin is semi-transparent, so try to add some color to the shadows.

For color variation, it's a little more challenging, especially since his skin tone is yellow-green. With that said though, his gums are red. That indicates to me that his blood is red, which means you have good justification (and reason) to add some different hues to strategic areas. Add some pink to his lobes, vary the hue in his nose, around the eyes, his lips, etc. It doesn't have to be garish, but a little vitality will go a long way.

Thanks for the great crits here and on the zbrush thread Hazed Blue, spot on. I Added some color variation to the diffuse and spec maps and it really made a good impact (although i think i might have over done it a bit.)

After taking a few days break from 3d stuff i can see this with more fresh eyes and the maps still need work especially on the mouth area, baby steps... also i suck at lighting in Marmoset.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Blocking in a EOD suit, much to do still, gonna give this a good z-brush pass after i've completed the blockout and messed with the proportion too.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

crossposting dis,the hand position looks a bit funky, i'll fix it tomorrow.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

hmm i hope they are in proportion, maybe it's the postprocessing&less than stellar posing that look off?

here's an unposed opengl render from viewport

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

EoinCannon: top notch work!

Any xsi users here? I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and they use XSI in their pipeline and i really could use some help in learning the ropes with it (I've mostly used Max and Blender previously). What would be a good learning path to learn the software quickly? do you know any good training dvds you would recommend? Many thanks in advance!

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

Thanks floofyscorp, i'm currently reading the "xsi basics" book and it really helps a lot, i have to look into those digital tutor videos you mentioned, hope they help. :) it's pretty funny how there's basically massive amounts of info for Maya, Max and even Blender when it comes to learning the interface&basics, not so much for xsi...

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

floofyscorp posted:

Yeah, I hated that when I was learning. And don't expect to find plugins for it either, when I went looking for something to allow me to edit normals the only thing I found was an incredibly awkward plugin from 2005 :l

I'm using Maya now, there are still things I miss from XSI... but being able to tweak vertex normals to my meticulous heart's content is lovely.

so if some of the normals on my model get flipped for some reason i'm basically hosed? (with the exeption of that plugin...) sounds super :) or is it possible to tweak all the normals to point one way, but not say individual faces etc.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

tuna posted:

Uhh, no.

You can flip normals in Softimage and you can break normals between faces (by making the edges "hard"). There wasn't many options for fancy per-sample normal editing in Softimage before but I believe there is a tool out that may use ICE to give you all of the flexibility you could ever ask for, problem is I can't help you find it because it's not something I've ever had to use.

If editing normals is the central issue of your job then it's probably not the best application for the job.

Some tips for learning Softimage: Try and keep the XSI keyboard layout as Maya's is fairly broken and Softimage users generally find it hard to help people using Softimage as Maya.

Most of the application is logical and sticks to a thought out workflow. Once you learn some of the fundamental principles of it, you can extrapolate most of the rest from there.

Most tools can be clicked with each of your 3 mouse buttons and it will perform a different action, look down at the bottom of the screen to see what.

Even icon buttons can be clicked with all 3 buttons, mmb generally performs the last option chosen in any menu in the package.

Digital tutors stuff is really basic but it might help. CMIvfx stuff is more advanced but very good, there's also stuff from 3dQuakers and there's a ton of free tutorials hosted at http://www.redi-vivus.com/ (look around for torrents of this stuff instead of using their insane "free-hosting" nonsense)

Thans for the tips (and clearing out the normal "issue" :)) I'm going through the digital tutors tutorial, the one with the swizz army knife, it sure is slow paced but i appreciate that it's so thorough, i have to get the redi-vivus stuff once i've read the xsi basics and done my wonderful swiss army knife. Hopefully i'll pick up some pace with the software since things take so much more time than with the previous package.

btw is it possible to set (or are there) hotkeys for cycling through viewports when in fullscreen mode, like fron front orthographic to user view, etc?

thanks for all the help all, back to studying for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

tuna posted:

Not sure if there are hotkeys for this, but there are the memo cams (mmb to set, lmb to recall, rmb to clear, use F1 if you wanna learn more) which give you 4 memories to flip between. Then you can also toggle back and forth between views using the camera name menu by mmb clicking there.

Otherwise you can use F12 to toggle between full screen and windowed, and you can probably afford to rebind that if it's annoying (it is not the best placed key really).

Thanks for the info! handy stuff those memo cams.

Citadel Looking good!

Winkle-Daddy I used Blender 2.5 some on my previous job (mostly 2d stuff with some pre rendered animations etc.),we had some issues with exporting models (normals flipped in 2.53 obj ecporter etc.) but i really like the modelling tools, and the interface seems really intuitive once you get the hang of it.

here's a speedsculpt with sloppy post in photoshop.