Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Artful Dodger.

The Artful Dodger and Fagin stuff was the least interesting element, the hospital plot was more engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I finished up Hannibal on Friday. What a wild ride that was, especially given how tentative I was at the beginning. I spent half of season 1 feeling pretty lukewarm towards the show but I'm glad I stuck it out, if only for Mads Mikkelsen's performance. If only there had been one more season...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Watched the Fallout pretty much on one sitting the last weekend. Made me longing for more Fallout enough to finally give the Fallout 76 a try, since I've played through all of the other ones several times already and wanted something new to tinker with.

Lets say that the 10 Eur or so I spent on F76 was about the right sum; I personally dislike multiplayer-only games, so it took the TV series to finally make me bother to put few hours into it to see what its about. Not terribly impressed, but much better than what I was expecting it to be.

On the TV show, one of the best adaptations of a game world to other media, period. The third main character from brotherhood of steel was a bit of glued in, he really didn't have his own storyline besides hanging around with the vault dweller and being incompetent, but maybe he gets more screen time in S2. Personally I also didn't like that NCR was the bad guys, and BoS was the worse guys, trying to take away electricity from the NCR, which has started looting Vaults and stole it from VaultTec, who were the worst guys setting everythings in motion. There are already tens of factions that are openly hostile to the vault dwellers and survivors, you really didn't need to add the two factions from games that didn't shoot on sight to that list. Another, more of an asspull-issue was that in the last episode The Ghoul was able to kill a full, trained squad of BoS power armored knights on a whim, when in the second or maybe third episode we saw that the same gun couldn't even put a dent to that armor, and The Ghoul lived to run away only because Maximus didn't know how to operate it properly.

EDIT: And yes I know my complaint is completely in-lore with the games. :D I have done an unarmed melee-only run in F2, and it somehow was much easier than doing heavy arms-only where you are constantly out of ammo and need to run away.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 29, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Der Kyhe posted:

Another, more of an asspull-issue was that in the last episode The Ghoul was able to kill a full, trained squad of BoS power armored knights on a whim, when in the second or maybe third episode we saw that the same gun couldn't even put a dent to that armor, and The Ghoul lived to run away only because Maximus didn't know how to operate it properly.

I may be misremembering but wasn't there a line when Max and his friend snuck in to look at the armour about how it was a new model? And The Ghoul talks about how the guys he wasted were wearing the old model from the war with the weak spot. I guess Max's armour was the new model and fixed the flaw? Still pretty bullshit but hey it was a fun show about a video game

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 29, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

On the TV show, one of the best adaptations of a game world to other media, period. The third main character from brotherhood of steel was a bit of glued in, he really didn't have his own storyline besides hanging around with the vault dweller and being incompetent, but maybe he gets more screen time in S2. Personally I also didn't like that NCR was the bad guys, and BoS was the worse guys, trying to take away electricity from the NCR, which has started looting Vaults and stole it from VaultTec, who were the worst guys setting everythings in motion. There are already tens of factions that are openly hostile to the vault dwellers and survivors, you really didn't need to add the two factions from games that didn't shoot on sight to that list. Another, more of an asspull-issue was that in the last episode The Ghoul was able to kill a full, trained squad of BoS power armored knights on a whim, when in the second or maybe third episode we saw that the same gun couldn't even put a dent to that armor, and The Ghoul lived to run away only because Maximus didn't know how to operate it properly.

I mean sure, Max is just kind of there, but I'd say he has his own storyline too since it's not immediately obvious if he's so power-hungry that he's absolutely ruthless, or if he's just failing upwards with his LK 8 stat. And he's the counter to Lucy's "okie dokie" practical naivete by being kinda dumb but also more lore-savvy to the Wasteland than Lucy is starting out. And finally, Max is the vessel through which the viewer is exposed to the BoS, and how lovely and dumb those guys are. And now Max, having failed upwards enough, is a Big Deal in the BoS, which he might not appreciate, but he's stuck with it, so that's a nice S2 hook.

Anyway, Fallout good, go watch it folks

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Spoilers for Fallout/just a guess but still: He’s gonna wind up having to kill his BoS buddy to join Lucy Goosey by the end of season 2.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Any recs for corny fun ‘pageturner’ type shows that have a lot of seasons/episodes? I know that’s a dumb word for it but I mean stuff that’s fast-paced and not too terribly serious. The Expanse is a good example.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

mareep posted:

Any recs for corny fun ‘pageturner’ type shows that have a lot of seasons/episodes? I know that’s a dumb word for it but I mean stuff that’s fast-paced and not too terribly serious. The Expanse is a good example.

Depends on what you've seen, and for me there are several avenues that give a show that quality, one can be you just want to see the characters, and how their relationships develop. And another is of course the serialized lots of cliffhangers and ongoing threads. Either way we're talking prime time soap opera, and I do find Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210 pretty darn fun and good if you gel on that style of retro camp. And they both get better by say season 2, but you also want to dip out by season 6 or so etc. But for the more traditional recs, Expanse is cool for sure:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Curb Your Enthusiasm (it's addictive and does have season arcs!), anime like Death Note, Gurren Lagann, classics like Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross, One Piece, toku like Kamen Rider OOO and Gokaiger, the usual recent hits like Barry, Better Call Saul, and any modern classics you may have missed like Sopranos. Cobra Kai is a lot of fun and addictive.

If I'm underlining one, especially for an Expanse fan, it's Mobile Suit Gundam, and its sequel Zeta Gundam etc. And for fast paced there is a movie trilogy version of Mobile Suit Gundam that edits it down, either way is good. For Zeta, that one you need its series version.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 29, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

mareep posted:

If you're okay with lots of violence, Strike Back, Banshee, and Spartacus are some of my favourite corny fun type shows

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

mareep posted:

If you want dumb YA sci-fi you can’t do better than The 100.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mareep posted:

Banshee (four cable-length seasons)
Justified (six cable-length seasons)
Prison Break (five seasons and a movie between seasons 4 and 5; at least the first two seasons are network-length, but the rest are shorter)
LOST (six mostly network-length seasons)
Person of Interest (five network-length seasons; I feel a little conflicted recommending it because the lead, Jim Caviezel, became such a crazed Qanon idiot, but watch it in spite of him, not because of him)
iZombie (six network-length seasons and one of the most charismatic and attractive casts ever)
Daredevil (three cable-length seasons; one of the best superhero shows ever, with a good balance of action and melodrama)
Veronica Mars (three network-length seasons, then a movie, then a shorter streaming season)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 29, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just finished Fallout. I've never played the games but my roommate in Afghanistan played fallout 3 a lot so I recall some of the broad strokes.

I really enjoyed the Lucy and Boyd Crowder storylines though.

A show about a massive company ruining the world produced by Amazon is a nice bit of irony though. I guess that's my dumb hot take.

Amazon is a really pretty good about greenlighting shows that feature themselves as the evil corporation. I'm not sure it's even ironic though, one of capitalism's features is to capitalize on opposition to it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes. The Boys and I'm a Virgo are also varying levels of somewhat to extremely anti-corporate or anti-capitalist. Add The Expanse for some post-colonial and pro-labor arguments. Amazon doesn't need to care because it won't really affect them.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

These are great recs, thanks all. Seen some but not most of em and they sound exactly right!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Cat Hassler posted:

I listen to the Werner Herzog intro every episode even though it’s the same

Me too. And while I loved Conan's previous travel shows.....I don't recall them being this laugh out loud funny. Seriously one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Octy posted:

I finished up Hannibal on Friday. What a wild ride that was, especially given how tentative I was at the beginning. I spent half of season 1 feeling pretty lukewarm towards the show but I'm glad I stuck it out, if only for Mads Mikkelsen's performance. If only there had been one more season...

Mads was phenomenal. I would have loved another season too but I was happy how it wrapped up. I had to rewind that ending a few times.

I was pleasantly surprised with Fallout, I groaned when I heard they were making another series based on a video game, one that I really like too. Stoked for next season already.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Me too. And while I loved Conan's previous travel shows.....I don't recall them being this laugh out loud funny. Seriously one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

I watched the first episode and thought it was ok. Conan can be funny but his schtick does get a little old.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The OA on Netflix - You know how interesting it is when someone says they want to tell you about this weird dream they had and how strange it was that they dreamed these things but it might mean something wouldn't that be weird and they start telling you about how it relates to a bunch of personal stuff that you didn't want to hear about either and you're just about to tell them to gently caress off when they mention they were abused and start describing all kinds of trauma and now you would feel bad if you told them you don't care so they just keep rambling about how they're really starting to make progress with therapy and would you like to pray with them and at some point you remind them that you're just here to fix the water heater and then they start crying and asking why nobody wants to be friends with them they're sorry about killing that kid and you wish you had taken that job at the warehouse even though it pays less and why do they keep rubbing their upper thigh?

That's what it was like just reading the wikipedia synopsis. BTW, this is that show where they try to stop a school shooter by doing stupid dance moves in the cafeteria.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buttchocks posted:

The OA on Netflix - You know how interesting it is when someone says they want to tell you about this weird dream they had and how strange it was that they dreamed these things but it might mean something wouldn't that be weird and they start telling you about how it relates to a bunch of personal stuff that you didn't want to hear about either and you're just about to tell them to gently caress off when they mention they were abused and start describing all kinds of trauma and now you would feel bad if you told them you don't care so they just keep rambling about how they're really starting to make progress with therapy and would you like to pray with them and at some point you remind them that you're just here to fix the water heater and then they start crying and asking why nobody wants to be friends with them they're sorry about killing that kid and you wish you had taken that job at the warehouse even though it pays less and why do they keep rubbing their upper thigh?

That's what it was like just reading the wikipedia synopsis. BTW, this is that show where they try to stop a school shooter by doing stupid dance moves in the cafeteria.
watch the second season

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Buttchocks posted:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I watched the first episode and thought it was ok. Conan can be funny but his schtick does get a little old.

Lotta bad takes on this page

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

It's a great show with a lot of smart things to say, and that spoilered bit isn't a good representation of what that subplot's about.

The show plays it ambiguously, but the other more rational and pragmatic reading is that Prairie's a mentally ill woman who's glommed together a story based on a bunch of books she's read, and is now presenting this story to specific people with the insistence that it's the truth. The people she's selected are mostly very vulnerable kids (and one very vulnerable adult) who eventually become so enamored with her magical thinking that they throw themselves into danger on the insistence that Prairie's magical powers will save them despite there being no real evidence to suggest that to be true. It's a story about cults.

So her followers don't stop the killer, they provide a brief distraction that someone else uses to take out the shooter. Which, if you think that sounds like a foolish thing for the characters to do or believe, I mean, yeah, that's part of what the show's doing.

The second season continues to walk this line very ambiguously such that you can either read it as a story about a woman who's successfully reality jumping and her friends who are trying to get back into contact with her, or you can read it as a story about a coma patient hallucinating a dream world and a bunch of cult followers who fall into despair without their leader and ultimately commit group suicide.

It might be worth comparing The OA to The East or The Sound Of My Voice, which both cover very similar ground.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The OA is goated

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Buttchocks posted:

Did you actually watch the show or just read the Wikipedia synopsis? I genuinely can't tell from you post, and the OA pulls off a lot of stuff that sounds completely asinine in writing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I’ve started and am addicted to the HBO adaptation of My Brilliant Friend. Its made me want to pick up the book. Is there a thread for the show?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I may be misremembering but wasn't there a line when Max and his friend snuck in to look at the armour about how it was a new model? And The Ghoul talks about how the guys he wasted were wearing the old model from the war with the weak spot. I guess Max's armour was the new model and fixed the flaw? Still pretty bullshit but hey it was a fun show about a video game

Regarding Fallout armor: [spoiler]When Maximus first meets Titus, he points out that Titus has opted to go with a "tempered lining", which appears to be unusual. It may well be that exact thing that happened to counteract the usual weak spot.[/spoiler

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wedgie deliverer posted:

I’ve started and am addicted to the HBO adaptation of My Brilliant Friend. Its made me want to pick up the book. Is there a thread for the show?

No thread, because as far as I know there are only two (now three) goons total that watch it. It's amazing though, one of the best things HBO's put it's money into IMO.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Y’all can go ahead and enjoy whatever you want, but it is solidly not for me.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I loved it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I had the The Diplomat on my list to watch since last year, and finally got around to it. I really liked the show but was bummed about how the last episode ratcheted up the stakes with a 24-esque twist. Obviously it was never a documentary on international relations, but the plot up until that point fit well with the "workplace drama" framing. Having the PM (or someone in his orbit) staging a false flag attack against their own country is on a whole other level. I don't know how you'll have that twist lingering over the second season without sucking all of the oxygen from the room.

Also, the cool bowtie FSO is probably dead and that is very sad.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a great show with a lot of smart things to say, and that spoilered bit isn't a good representation of what that subplot's about.

The show plays it ambiguously, but the other more rational and pragmatic reading is that Prairie's a mentally ill woman who's glommed together a story based on a bunch of books she's read, and is now presenting this story to specific people with the insistence that it's the truth. The people she's selected are mostly very vulnerable kids (and one very vulnerable adult) who eventually become so enamored with her magical thinking that they throw themselves into danger on the insistence that Prairie's magical powers will save them despite there being no real evidence to suggest that to be true. It's a story about cults.

So her followers don't stop the killer, they provide a brief distraction that someone else uses to take out the shooter. Which, if you think that sounds like a foolish thing for the characters to do or believe, I mean, yeah, that's part of what the show's doing.

The second season continues to walk this line very ambiguously such that you can either read it as a story about a woman who's successfully reality jumping and her friends who are trying to get back into contact with her, or you can read it as a story about a coma patient hallucinating a dream world and a bunch of cult followers who fall into despair without their leader and ultimately commit group suicide.

It might be worth comparing The OA to The East or The Sound Of My Voice, which both cover very similar ground.

That’s my read too, I liked Sound of my voice with his ambiguity and The OA felt like a longer, deeper take on it. I really love it

Though I would argue that the second season is fun and good but don’t adds that much to it and makes the story feel incomplete cause it’s clearly meant to be continued. The first season is kinda perfect on where it stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Though I would argue that the second season is fun and good but don’t adds that much to it and makes the story feel incomplete cause it’s clearly meant to be continued. The first season is kinda perfect on where it stops

Yeah the second season is really good -- and I can see why it's so crowd pleasing because it's just a good deal of fun on a straight up genre level -- but I can't help but wonder whether the entire thing was leading up to another enormous rug pull, and only the stuff that's in direct continuance with the first season would have ended up being "real". But then it just stops, rather than ends. Frustrating.

We were robbed tbh. Irène Jacob's role (a reference to The Double Life Of Veronique?) seemed to suggest cool, crazy things (basically Spiderverse before that became so saturated). Plus the ending, of course, and the generally high quality of writing, acting, direction and production design throughout. Easily one of the best things Netflix has made.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 3, 2024