Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched Silo and the beginning was cool, the last couple of minutes were cool, but everything in between felt like a very small side plot stretched out to fill out a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

phosdex posted:

I watched Silo and the beginning was cool, the last couple of minutes were cool, but everything in between felt like a very small side plot stretched out to fill out a season.

The book was far more concise. They added plot lines for the show which made it feel more watered down than it otherwise would have been. Could have packed the entire book into six hour long episodes (imo) and kept it compelling throughout.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The book was far more concise. They added plot lines for the show which made it feel more watered down than it otherwise would have been. Could have packed the entire book into six hour long episodes (imo) and kept it compelling throughout.

On the other hand I think the show fleshed out the characters more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, I found that part of the season very compelling. Honestly, I thought that lore plot stuff was by far the weakest material, and that it didn't hold up to much scrutiny.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

Sure. I just don't understand the addition of Common's character. Felt like filler to me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sure. I just don't understand the addition of Common's character. Felt like filler to me.

I've only just now read Wool (the first book in the series) but I'm going to guess that when they went all in on George as the motivating love-interest for Juliette, that led to virtually ignoring Lukas the star guy. In the back half of the first book Lukas becomes the understudy but that really came out of nowhere, and making Sims the IT shadow makes a lot more sense. So they are using him as the face of IT security in Season 1 and either setting him up for betraying Bernard in a later season or just trying to establish him as the face of the rebellion-crushing next season.

My wife didn't buy into Common's character either so you aren't alone.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm watching Northern Exposure for the first time since I was a kid. I don't remember it being as weird as it is, but I guess that's because I was a kid so someone coming back to life as a dog or a world renowned chef living in the woods being confused for Bigfoot seemed a bit more plausible.

Still really dig it though. Just got to the third season.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've only just now read Wool (the first book in the series) but I'm going to guess that when they went all in on George as the motivating love-interest for Juliette, that led to virtually ignoring Lukas the star guy. In the back half of the first book Lukas becomes the understudy but that really came out of nowhere, and making Sims the IT shadow makes a lot more sense. So they are using him as the face of IT security in Season 1 and either setting him up for betraying Bernard in a later season or just trying to establish him as the face of the rebellion-crushing next season.

My wife didn't buy into Common's character either so you aren't alone.

I read the three books back when they first were released, and then again last year when I found out that this adaptation was coming out. The book really moves along quickly. They basically had to stuff some extra characters and subplots into it so that it could be stretched out. Personally felt that a mini-series would have been a better route......but whatever. There's some diverting from the book which is fine. Much better than what MGM+ has done with another Hugh Howey IP, "Beacon 23". Show hardly resembles the book at all outside of the name.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Finished rewatching Veep. Great sitcom. I had forgotten how dark the last season....and in particular.....the last episode was.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Finished Fringe, overall 2/5.

if it had been ~40 episodes there was a good show somewhere in here, but at 100 there's way too much, and most of it isn't good.

acting uniformly meh except for Noble who's amazing.

even aside from the filler episodes, too many jumps and changes in focus. alternate universe, this universe, both universes without Peter, future, etc. reminds me of LOST and not in a good way.

the entire last season is a low budget scavenger hunt where even the characters only kinda know what they're looking for.

it's clear that even if this coulda been a good show, network TV season sizes + the "we don't know if this season is/was our last" made that impossible.

some really great ideas in here, just far between and not explored enough.

EDIT: also somewhere around season 4 Walter becomes super religious out of nowhere?

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 29, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

Yeah, when I started Fringe I was mostly drawn in by the "mystery of the week" aspect with semi-plausible technobabbly explanations behind them. But as the series went on that aspect faded more and more into the background and the show got overall more vibes-based. More than one very tangible problem ended up being unironically caused and/or solved by the power of love.

I'd probably rate it a bit more generously at like 3/5, but then again I did bail at the end of season 3 :v:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

if it had been ~40 episodes there was a good show somewhere in here, but at 100 there's way too much, and most of it isn't good.

acting uniformly meh except for Noble who's amazing.

even aside from the filler episodes, too many jumps and changes in focus. alternate universe, this universe, both universes without Peter, future, etc. reminds me of LOST and not in a good way.

the entire last season is a low budget scavenger hunt where even the characters only kinda know what they're looking for.

it's clear that even if this coulda been a good show, network TV season sizes + the "we don't know if this season is/was our last" made that impossible.

some really great ideas in here, just far between and not explored enough.

EDIT: also somewhere around season 4 Walter becomes super religious out of nowhere?

Fringe is one of my favourite shows and I can understand it's not for everyone but why'd you bother watching the whole thing if you didn't like it?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Octy posted:

Fringe is one of my favourite shows and I can understand it's not for everyone but why'd you bother watching the whole thing if you didn't like it?

it had a handful of good ideas and one exceptional acting performance.

I'd heard enough good about it to give it a shot at redemption.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I enjoyed Fringe while it was on, but I remember it took me a bunch of attempts to get into it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Olivia Dunham is not a very flashy character to be the lead, she's stoic, determined and sensible. Later on you learn she did not choose to to be unassuming and grey but was made to be like that to not be noticed.
I remember people speculating Anna Torv was given the role because of a family connection to Rupert Murdoch but later on we saw what she could do.

A while back I watched some episodes but season 1 is quite rough in places and with twenty episodes until poo poo gets really real it remained just a few. It still looks great on Blu Ray for a show 16 years old.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Is Fringe worth watching, you ask? Well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dev-cWIy8A

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
You also have Lance Reddick (RIP) tripping on LSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTskUKq81MQ&t=122s

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Octy posted:

Not one of my favorites.....but I watched it just a few years back and liked it a lot.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Started Gen V and I think I'm loving this? A cynical deep dive into how ""heroes"" like the Seven are now being groomed from a handful of really messed up college students, with all the dicks and hyper violence that The Boys gives us but with new perspectives and new characters, some of whom are really heartbreaking (love you Cricket!)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes it’s surprisingly good for a spin off.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tore through Banshee over the course of a week.

I had started it years back but bounced off of it for some reason, came back now for some more Anthony Starr before The Boys return in June.

It's gotta be the pulpiest, shlockiest thing to ever grace the tv and I loved every minute of it, even if season 4 was a bit all over the place with too much happening for 8 episodes in total.

But then again, the show never wasted any time lingering on new big bads and just disposed of them quickly and unceremoniously, almost comically even.

Somehow they still managed to tie a nice bow around it and send it off properly.

Basically an R-rated saturday morning cartoon show with squibs, tits and asses. And nazis. And a giant psycho native-american warrior. And an amish crime lord. Plus, a satanist cult. And what I assume are countless cases of undiagnosed CTE. And a lot of supposedly elite operatives that can not hit the side of a barn if their lives depended on it.

As I said, I loved every minute of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Basically an R-rated saturday morning cartoon show with squibs, tits and asses. And nazis. And a giant psycho native-american warrior. And an amish crime lord. Plus, a satanist cult.

The blu ray covers look like comics art, so I always reckoned their intention was to do basically a live-action Image comic. Which they succeeded in doing, yes.

mcbexx posted:

And what I assume are countless cases of undiagnosed CTE.

Goons used to joke that Starr's massive forehead dent was an in-character reason for why Hood would go on such insane violent benders all the time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mcbexx posted:

I had started it years back but bounced off of it for some reason, came back now for some more Anthony Starr before The Boys return in June.

It's gotta be the pulpiest, shlockiest thing to ever grace the tv and I loved every minute of it, even if season 4 was a bit all over the place with too much happening for 8 episodes in total.

But then again, the show never wasted any time lingering on new big bads and just disposed of them quickly and unceremoniously, almost comically even.

Somehow they still managed to tie a nice bow around it and send it off properly.

Basically an R-rated saturday morning cartoon show with squibs, tits and asses. And nazis. And a giant psycho native-american warrior. And an amish crime lord. Plus, a satanist cult. And what I assume are countless cases of undiagnosed CTE. And a lot of supposedly elite operatives that can not hit the side of a barn if their lives depended on it.

If you love pulp and shlock with excessive tits and violence you need to watch the old Starz Spartacus show.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Psycho Native American Warrior [Chaske Spencer] slays and stars in The English as well.

Also make sure to watch Warrior, which is Banshee but 1800s Chinese gangs.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hizawk posted:

The Psycho Native American Warrior [Chaske Spencer] slays and stars in The English as well.

Also make sure to watch Warrior, which is Banshee but 1800s Chinese gangs.

adding to this - if you like the fighting in Warrior and hyperviolence of Banshee, you'd also probably enjoy Into the Badlands

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mcbexx posted:

If you loved Banshee you might want to check out Obliterated on Netflix.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MightyJoe36 posted:

If you loved Banshee you might want to check out Obliterated on Netflix.

Watched that already. It was okay-ish, but lacked interesting characters and the grittyness compared to Banshee. Too flashy and superficial.

It's probably the Banshee of our time, it's just that our time sucks compared to 10 years ago.

A TikTok version of Banshee.
Style over substance.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

socialsecurity posted:

If you love pulp and shlock with excessive tits and violence you need to watch the old Starz Spartacus show.

This is the correct answer.

RIP Andy Whitfield. :smith:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

This is the correct answer.

RIP Andy Whitfield. :smith:

drat, I can't believe it's been that long since he passed away. :smith:

Spartacus is one of my guilty pleasures. Such a great pulpy show with some great one liners.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also, for another recommendation in the vein of Banshee when it comes to pulpy action, consider Strike Back (season 2 onwards, season 1 is basically a different show). The action is more focused on tacticool shootmans than martial arts, but the show does do a very good job with that. It still generally hits the same kind of self-indulgent and slightly comedic vibe, the two leads in particular have a really fun chemistry where they basically turn into best bros within minutes of meeting one another.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I am really enjoying Euphoria at the moment, halfway through first season but eventhough I usually don't mind shows and movies with bad endings I would hate to see things ending very badly for Rue, Kat and Jules :(

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

So, I've been watching Monk which isn't particularly *good*...

I also can't seem to stop watching it though. Is there some sort of hypnotic subliminal deal going on in the background?

You should all watch Monk, it goes down super easy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

USA in the early 2000s mastered the art of shows that didn't have a ton going on but you just kept coming back week after week because the casts and situations were so charming. It was magic for a time.

I love Banshee and have watched it multiple times but I don't think I've finished Season 4 once. Either that or I just constantly forget it.

In the same vein of those shows I'm gearing up for a Black Sails rewatch.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It went on forever too, it hits old people brain just right.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
People like procedurals, especially ones with Randy Newman themesongs.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Old people identify with Monk because they think being high-maintenance means they're intelligent and entitled to an attractive blonde nurse who puts up with their poo poo. That's why I watch it, anyways.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

USA in the early 2000s mastered the art of shows that didn't have a ton going on but you just kept coming back week after week because the casts and situations were so charming. It was magic for a time.

I love Banshee and have watched it multiple times but I don't think I've finished Season 4 once. Either that or I just constantly forget it.

In the same vein of those shows I'm gearing up for a Black Sails rewatch.

Hour long comedies that were able/willing to push the boundaries a little further than OTA networks. I know there are examples of hour long network comedies prior to Monk.....but not a whole lot of good ones. Me and my brother watched several seasons of 'Psych'. If I didn't have better options....I probably would have continued watching 'Royal Pains' for more than the season or two that I did.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Psych good

Monk mid

Anyway, been watching Eureka for background/unwindulaxing and I'm both surprised and sorry I missed this when it was on the air. Good mix of sci fi, comedy, drama, character development ... fun show!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just got thru Black Orphan. Better than I was expecting, a bit wheel spinny at times, weirdly graphically violent occasionally. All in all a good show enjoyed. Sucha bummer the gal went form like a career performance of a half dozen characters to fuckin shehulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Signal (Netflix) - Dear Germany, this is why you're not allowed to have a space program. This, and the fact that you would try to use coal-fired rockets.