Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Future Man is really fun so far. Wolf is low-key the best character.

I enjoy The Detectorists a lot. Just a pleasant low-stakes hangout show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Good lord, Episode 7 of Future Man might be the funniest thing I've seen on TV this year.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Binging through Apartment 23. Fun little show that was misused by ABC much like Happy Endings. Would have been nice to get a third season, maybe on Netflix. It was probably a bit ahead of its time in that regard; I could see it as a companion series with Kimmy Schmidt. Unfortunately it looks as though Hulu is playing them in the same jumbled order as when ABC aired the show originally. :mad:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just saw a promo for Sneaky Pete S2. I was pleasantly surprised with Season 1, as I am not the biggest fan of Giovanni Ribisi, but the pedigree of the creators and supporting cast drew me in. Still no definitive premiere date, but I'm hyped. Any scenes with Ben Vereen are gonna be pretty awkward now, though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mantzoukas is the only guy who can credibly give pathos to a character who marries his gently caress-pillow.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Started season 4 of Z Nation last night, about 5 or 6 episodes in. Still liking the show a lot, but season 4 doesn't hold a candle to the previous 2 seasons (though I do think the new female Marine character, Sgt. Lilly, is super cute :3:).

So Season 4 is on Netflix now? Cool. I thought S3 had some good individual episodes but was wildly uneven as a whole. As long as S4 doesn't have stretches of Murphy just standing around talking to himself or bellowing into a megaphone, I'm good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
We better get to see Vorenus & Pullo: Origins as part of that show.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Anyone that I know who works or used to work retail loves Superstore.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.hulu.com/tv/genres/classics

Hulu has a ton of old stuff, I've been watching Night Gallery and Alfred Hitchcock Presents lately, and will probably tackle The Outer Limits after that.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Not really, no.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Letterkenny is a goddamn delight.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Sloth Life posted:

Thank you to everyone who mentioned GLOW, it finally filtered through my brain and I began to watch. It is sooo outside my wheelhouse and yet so very very much my thing

I would watch 1,000 episodes of GLOW.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Detectorists leaves Netflix next month, hurry and watch it if you like chill comedies about the competitive world of metal detecting in the English countryside.

What, really? They haven't even put up Season 3 yet. :smith:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Boy, is Patriot good. It's like if the Coen brothers directed a Le Carre adaptation.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

do you see it as a comedy, a drama, a tragedy, or what?

Yes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
After awhile I just started zoning out on whatever Taco was doing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Eh, the last couple seasons are kinda forgettable anyway, as that was about when most everyone's careers started blowing up outside of TV ( except Rannazissi, lol whoops), so the main cast hardly ever had plots where everyone was together. I love Mantzoukas but when you start having Raffi-centric episodes, it's probably time to call it a day.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It still makes for good background/bedtime watching, though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lost great

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Corporate on Comedy Central is AMAZING, and hilariously accurate as to the soul killing nature of being a gnat in a massive corporate machine. And the season premiere is on currently.

:yeah:

That ending...went places.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
figger it oot

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Watch Farscape instead.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Inadvertently binging through Dead To Me and drat is this show amazing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kim's Convenience is pretty breezy and funny.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
sneak attack!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was really skeptical of the Catch 22 miniseries going in but it was amazing from minute one.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
this priest fucks

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seemed realistic to me, particularly for tech, and really the only natural way the show could have ended. Some people move on, others keep on grinding.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

The Expanse is a really bad and really silly show. The acting, with a few (actually quite good) exceptions, is awful, and it obviously suffers from being something based off an RPG campaign. The characters keep getting in bigger and badder hijinks, completely centering on them, and despite adding more and more people to the show they all become the most super duper important people in the universe. It's entirely run by nerds who think adding bigger, flashier more excitement, excitement after excitement, ramp up the bullshit excitement is the be all and end all of drama.

It's a pointless show that offers zero humanity and is just as much nerd bait trash as the worst of superhero films.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I too thought Fleabag was...fine. Funny, and worth watching, but not some amazing achievement. Another case where everyone other than the lead character is more interesting and empathetic. Even when you find out why Fleabag keeps running the store the way she does, it just didn't quite land for me. I found the sister's story much more compelling and Olivia Coleman knocks her role out of the park. Brett Gelman is fantastic at playing a despicable prick.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 15, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
At this point I think it's ok for the pendulum to swing back a bit and admit that Firefly was fun and, though certain aspects certainly haven't aged well, pretty good for its time.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And she can turn on a dime flawlessly to portray Bad Place Janet. D'Arcy Corden is a treasure.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Not really a fair assessment. Sure that language is bad and definitely wouldn't fly today, but overall that episode has pretty positive message iirc and the point was to ensure that the guy he jumped into was able to keep his job and be accepted by his coworkers so that he wouldn't die alone in an institution.

He leaps into Nick Mullen?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I stuck with Mr Robot to the end and while I don't regret it, and there were a lot of great moments, I don't blame anyone who bailed out along the way.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jennifer Connelly has been riding a coin-operated mechanical pony in my mind for 29 years and ain't about to stop.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Remy Marathe posted:

I couldn't even hack the pace of S1 Broadchurch, if something moves that slow it needs to be extreeeemely visually compelling.

Unrelated, last week I put "Justified" on expressly for some pulp to half ignore, couldn't even remember the title or streaming service after 1 episode, but we're on #4 now and I'm completely hooked. I don't usually like police procedurals but the humor and Timothy Olyphant's high level of competence make it fun as hell at times.

Justified is a real treat almost the entire run, save for some sag in later seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I liked :lost: all the way through but can totally understand why the average/casual viewership dropped off, especially in Season 4/5 with flashforwards, flashbacks, Widmore's freighter, more island ghosts, time skips, etc.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is probably heretical but I am enjoying the "modern" (80s-90s) Columbo episodes more than the original run.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Anyone watched the English yet? Apparently critics like it.

I'm digging it. Episode 4 was brutally well-done. Rafe Spall is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the middle of season 4 and absolutely would not have guessed that this is where the gang is at, even after the season 1 finale.