Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Hattori Hanzo posted:

I'm about six episodes into Journeyman on hulu, and am surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Too bad there's only a few left, but so far, it's a really well done show.

The last few episodes are great, and it's real the shame cause the finale is fantastic and showed real promise.

For those who have given up on the Wire I understand completely where you're coming from but it's really one of those where it demands your complete attention. When I was watching the first episode for the second time since finishing the series I picked up on so much stuff that you 'miss/disregard' the first time around.

My brother (now halfway through season 3) after the first few episodes just said, "What the hell... nothing happened!" While it does seem like that- A LOT is actually happening it's just not noticed. There is no 'main character', and everyone has importance. After finishing season 2, he started to warm up more to the series, calling the finale to season 2 "very satisfying".

Currently I'm watching Murder One and while it's by no means fantastic, and has a real '90's' look to it, it's not that bad. Plus I love a TV show with a season long story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I'm currently trying to catch up on Psych, and while I'm not that much of a fan of the episodic format show- it is quite entertaining. I like to think of it as a mix between Veronica Mars and Dexter.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

blackjack posted:

I didn't like either version of The Office

How much of the American Office did you watch?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Hopefully you didn't watch just Season One... it was pretty much cookie cutter to the UK version, and I hardly found it funny at all. Luckily it's only six episodes. But if you saw episodes from Seasons 2-4, well then I guess it's just not the show for you.

This is what I was going to say. I recommended my friend to watch it. After season 1 he absolutely hated it and said, "this show is supposed to be funny?" I told him to keep watching. He just finished the second season and loves it- although, "I don't know how that show lasted, it should have been canceled after the first season."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

DJPress posted:

Something interesting about 24, is that they kind of wing the episodes. I don't want to give anything away, but a certain actor got a role in a pilot so he/she didn't come back, but then when the series got canceled they showed up later in the season. I think at any given time, they only have about 4 or 5 of the episodes written in advance.

The rumour for season 7 is that it's all planned out right now.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a96215/kiefer-promises-best-24-season-yet.html

(regarding the strike)

quote:

"After so many postponements, I can assure you that none of us at 24 took for granted the significance of this upcoming season," Sutherland explained.

"But the time allowed us to do something that has never been done before - create a map of the entire season before we started shooting. So I can tell you without hesitation, I know for a fact, that Season 7 is going to be the best season yet."

I remain hopeful for season 7.

mofolotopo, while I can agree season 6 is easily the worst, season 5 is arguably the best. (It won the Emmy for Best Drama Series that season) Season 4 I admit is 'second worst'.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Corbet posted:

I've probably only ever watched 4-5 episodes of Seinfeld. I'm about to embark on watching the ENTIRE SERIES some time this week. I'm kinda excited.

You're almost as bad as my friend who hadn't seen an episode of the Simpsons until about a month ago (he's 22). He's starting watching Season 3 and it took him a while to warm up to, but eventually it started growing on him.

Season 1 and to lesser extent season 2 of Seinfeld is a bit like how the Office started out. It began a little unsure of itself of what it was, but eventually it found it's groove and everything started being more funny.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Annakie posted:

The first three discs of season 4 of The Wire arrive today. I really enjoyed The Wire's first three seasons and everyone keeps saying season 4 is the best so I'm looking forward to it. It's been over a year since I saw the first three, though, so I'm a little worried about being lost as to what's going on because I barely remember it.

The first disc has a 3 season recap. :c00l:

Groundbase posted:

I just finished watching Weeds, and while it started out ok I have to say I ended up hating all of the characters except Doug and Andy by the end of it.

I just finished this today no less, and while I can understand what you mean I thought it got a lot better by the end. Sure the characters are nihilistic, and by the fifth time someone tries to blackmail Nancy you feel like rolling your eyes- but it's all a part of the charm of the show. Andy is probably the best character on the show and 'saved' it, and made me keep watching.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Anorak Revolution posted:

After I'm done with it (though sadly I heard that the last(s) seasons were pretty bad and ridiculous)

Opinion varies. While it does get a bit crazy in the next two seasons, I wouldn't call it "bad". I found season two a big step up over season one's repetitiveness.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I just started Entourage yesterday. I hope to be done with it in time for Season 5.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dr. Van Nostrum posted:

Honestly, I'd stop now and go back and watch 1 and 2 first. There are a lot of twists from the first two that you still probably don't know about, but they will be spoiled if you finish Season 3.

I second this. You'll regret knowing some stuff in advance, but if you are enjoying keep watching. (Interestingly, I think you can watch Season 4 and not have to go back to seasons 1-3)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I've just started re-watching The Wire for the first time. It's so much better. One of my complaints about season one was how 'slow' it was, but watching it again it's so much clear what's going on.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I'm watching the Office season 2, and while I'm only on the second disc, I swear I've seen every episode so far. I mean, I thought I watched it every once in a while on TV, but I think I've seen it more than I remembered. I didn't start becoming an avid viewer until halfway through season 3.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Doakes posted:

Wire (Never seen)

Good Choice?

Yes. I'm guessing just season 1 though? You may want to save up for when you buy the others.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

There isn't going to be one scene, or one season, where everything "clicks."

The Dee interrogation scene in the Season 1 finale comes close.

But yes, it's been said several times before that it's a very very slow paced show- especially in the beginning.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

SirMonkeyButt posted:

I had successfully avoided this show for half a decade. Then my sister gave my girlfriend and me seasons 1 and 2 over Thanksgiving weekend, and we watched both over the next weekend. We then got 3 and 4 and watched those last weekend. Damned if we didn't leave work today and immediately get season 5. We're watching right now.

This loving show.

Enjoy it now- season 5 is the best season (or at least second best). Then season 6 comes along and somehow manages to be worse than Season 4 :smith:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Vagina Wash posted:

Testees on FX has recently become my pacifier since Mad Men, and Sunny are in limbo.

At it's core, it's good, brainless comedy with craploads of dick (and fart) jokes, but the characters are so well executed it's a joy to watch. The Japanese scientist is such a sadistic bastard, his delivery gets me every time.

Anybody else catch this lopsided (and probably dead soon) gem?

One of the more unfunny shows on television. It's one joke- stretched over the course of series, with the joke slightly changing each episode. It disappoints me because A)It's from Kenny Hotz, and B)My friend did post-audio for it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Yeet posted:

I've been thinking about starting something new like Lost but everyone who watches that show says it's a pile after seasons 1/2.

It's not so much a "pile" but rather how different it becomes after season 2. Specifically it gets to become a little bit more "sci-fi" than "realistic drama." This became a turn-off for a lot of people who stopped watching.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Angiepants posted:

After that I got through all of Arrested Development in about four days. Easily my second-favorite TV series ever now.

It's so much better a second time. When you're done with Freaks and Geeks, follow suit with the rest of us and watch The Wire.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Bacon Fish posted:

In between I'm trying to start watching Nip/Tuck but I'm finding it a little depressing. I think I will power through it once I'm done Entourage though.

The first two seasons are great, but then it becomes way too over the top to be taken seriously. I'll also never forgive the show for the ending of Season 3

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Bradb posted:

I'm a glutton for punishment and closure, so no matter how much I want to stop watching 24 season 5, I can't. However, since I keep hearing season 6 is just as bad (if not worse) than season 5, I think I might be able to convince myself to skip it and go right to season 7.

But season 5 is the best season. :confused: Season 6 is crap though, but 7 so far is showing potential for the show getting back on track.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is probably the biggest understatement in the history of television.

I have to concur. It's more unrealistic than most Sci-Fi shows. If you watch up to the end of Season 3 just know while there is no moment in the show "worse" than that, it does get crazier.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Finally got around to watching/finishing Daybreak. It was very good overall, but not 'great'. Given the premise I think it was the best it could have gotten, and don't see how a second season could have improved it. Granted there are some (deliberate) unresolved plot points, but it doesn't affect the overall enjoyment. Thankfully there are some nice surprises here and there, and doesn't take itself seriously- especially near the end.

For those wondering No, why the day keeps repeating doesn't get explained. Eventually he does see through to the next day, and it's a happy ending for the good guys. (No major heroes "die")

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mana Fiercity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stop PB and get on Lost, you'll thank me later.

As a Prison Break/Lost fan, both are good. Right now Prison Break is 3/4 through season 4, and even though it's gotten to the point where it's become unrealistic, the entertainment factor is still there. (Plus it's going to have 'an ending')

Lost is still amazing, can't detract from that.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Cart posted:

I'm in the mood for a good procedural, and there seem to be a ton available right now all with slightly different premises, anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm talking about the likes of Bones, Life, Lie to Me, Castle, The Unusuals, The Mentalist etc... Usually appreciate something with a bit of a lighter tone, interesting characters and the like.

I'll say Psych. It gets better (less in your face) after the initial episodes, but finds it's way early on. You probably know it as the 'comedy' version of the Mentalist.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Walked posted:

Would anyone care to suggest some new shows for me to binge on?

Give Breaking Bad a shot. The first 'season' is just 7 episodes. (it was cut short because of the writer's strike)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

horizon posted:

Just recently finished binging through How I Met Your Mother and Entourage.

Both were absolutely fantastic. I'd had Entourage for a long time and always put off watching it for some reason, but from the first episode I was hooked and polished off 4 seasons in a couple of weeks.

But there are 5 seasons of Entourage, or is that a typo?

On that note: Of everything you've listed watch the Wire. From what you haven't suggested give Californication a shot. I feel like I've been missing out because I just started, and it's easily one of the funniest shows I haven't been watching. (I'm a fan of Mother, Office, Entourage and 30 Rock)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Leviathan posted:

Just started watching season 4 of The Wire. I must say, it does get addictive after 5-6 episodes of the first season, but (other than a few moments of sheer brilliance Omar's courtroom scene, wow) I don't think it nearly lives up to the hype in these forums. Are seasons 4 and 5 really that good?

It's not so much that seasons 4/5 are "that" good but the whole series just gets a lot better on re-watch. The first time when I was watching it there's so much going on (and yet at the same time I felt nothing was happening), but when watching the same episodes again I was able to pick up on stuff that easily got missed the first go around.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Oh ok, cool. I picked that much up, just didn't know if there was something I'd missed on account of the pace. Didn't catch anyone's name, etc. I'll keep watching, thanks.

Everyone eventually comes into their own and proves their purpose... although I'm still not sure why they need Turtle.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

After finally going through the Wire (again) I'm starting to watch Deadwood. I blindly bought it even though I'm not a real fan of westerns, but I'm actually liking it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Jedi posted:

We do not praise The Wire - we merely bask in the recognition that "The Wire" is the greatest hour long drama of all time. Be warned though, it can start slow. However, if you are strong of heart and pure of faith, you too can join our ranks.

I wouldn't call it "slow" it's just a different pace than what you're used to. (pretty much any drama on NBC/CBS) I remember watching the first few episodes just thinking "So wait... this is it? This is the best show ever? Uhh... ok..." But really you can't judge the show until the very end of Season 1 at least. The show has a very high replay value, and episodes/seasons just get better the more times you watch. If I were to give any advice on watching the show it's that the pilot should be watched immediately after seeing the season 1 finale.

I recently started going through the 24 seasons again. Just started season 2. It's quite funny in retrospect knowing how pretty much everyone in a given room is dead where the show currently is (season 7).

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

How many would actually recommend Heroes anymore?

I think the list would be fine if 24 replaced it.

While I would never download "seasons" of it, Amazing Race and Hell's Kitchen are great shows to watch "live".

Kenny vs. Spenny is the best and funniest show to watch with a group of college/uni friends just drinking and hanging out. At one point it used to be Family Guy, but even with a group of people it's still not as funny (as it used to be) and it's even more awkward to watch than alone. Uncomfortable silences scattered with "is that supposed to be funny?" Random episodes of KvP almost always get the entire group roaring.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

HeebHustler posted:

halfway through season 1 of Carnivale

simply amazing at times, but i fear of what is to come when the show abruptly ends after season 2. quick, someone recommend me something to start watching when this ends.

i have seen all of these in their entirety the last couple of years: Oz, The Wire, 24, Six Feet Under, Rome, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld, S1 Sopranos, S1 Dexter, S1 Heroes, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and both versions of The Office.

it seems like watching all of the Sopranos would be the obvious choice, but given that list and being most fond of HBO shows, what would you pick?

You could also try watching Lost, and catch up before the final season airs.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

That's kind of the point of Lost, though. I think trying to force it into the category of "plausible," let alone "mystery," is doing it a disservice. It's not like a detective novel, it's a sci-fi conspiracy/adventure show. If it even approached plausible it would in no way be as entertaining as it is. You're watching it wrong.

Despite how implausible it is, the show has it's own logic and never breaks from it. This is why it's hard for me to watch a show like Heroes because the show doesn't seem to have any rules that it follows and pretty much tells the audience, "Remember what happened? Ok good, forget that we're going in a new direction."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

mcbexx posted:

I am also looking forward to tons of guest stars who had their big break since being on the show.

My favourite is a near unrecognizable Jeremy Piven.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Phineas Gage posted:

Just watched season 2 of Breaking Bad in two sittings why did they have to kill the girl :( that was just too harsh, god damnit. and all the foreshadowing about poo poo in the pool and evidence was complete bullshit

You should have seen the reaction in the thread.

I didn't like it at first either, but once I read the interview with the creator, it was a lot easier to appreciate.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

After reading this thread (and my friends reactions to the finale), I don't think I'm going to ever watch Battlestar Gallactica. It sounds like season 2 was it's prime and it slowly dug itself deeper from there.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Bonk posted:

It very specifically hits its peak early in season 3. Everyone who's seen it knows what I mean.

Don't base your opinion on an internet thread. The internet hates everything. Don't base your opinion on the finale either, it split the fanbase in half. You're missing out by never wanting to watch it just based on two pretty lame criteria. It has its lulls and it can drag sometimes, but when it's great, it's some of the best TV you'll ever see.

Well it's not just this internet thread. A few of my friends loved this show at one point and say how the ending pretty much almost ruined it all. While I recognize that episodes/seasons can be good, I find it hard to invest in something knowing it doesn't end satisfying. It's like if I were to start King's Dark Tower series, I know at one point it gets good, but it doesn't stay that way and it ends on a "meh" note.

Honestly, despite how great it's been so far, I'd have a hard time recommending Lost if it ends unsatisfying. It can have mysteries unresolved, but if it doesn't end on a solid I don't see myself saying, "oh you have to watch Lost!"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been watching seasons 11 and 12 of The Simpsons lately and there's more than a few episodes I haven't seen in years and I'm going to say it now, they're not nearly as bad as the internet (or even my 17 year old self) would claim. Yes, they're different from seasons 2-8 of the show but they're still funny. Maybe my tastes have changed somewhat since these episodes first aired 9 years ago or maybe the recent trend of more wacky humor seen in a lot of shows (Family Guy, American Dad, Robot Chicken, Tim and Eric, ect ect) has allowed me to watch these without that harsh "ugh it was better back then" judgment in my eyes. In either case these seasons have been enjoyable for me and I'm actually looking forward to the next few sets. Seasons 12 was the last one I watched as it aired back in 2000-2001, before being a teenager meant I'd rather spend Sunday nights out with friends sitting around complaining there's nothing to do in this lovely town instead of inside in front of the TV so there's a lot I haven't seen.

And really, the panda rape is both funny and plot appropriate. If it's any consolidation Matt Groening was against it before they got to the original final act which involved Homer dressed as Santa throwing pigs blood on a crowd of onlooking children and decided that was a more pressing thing to argue against.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Simpsons gets a lot funnier in re-runs. Even the newer seasons. There are a few absolute god-awful episodes (Bart becomes a cowboy), but episodes like the film festival ("Chalmskin productions") are actually legitimately funny a second and third time around.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 27, 2009

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Words

I think that's a lot less true today than it was even 10 years ago. Before the most serialized a show would get would be in a two-part episode, and rarely would there would be any advancement of character growth. I really the whole "TV can be as good as movies" movement started with the advent of the Sopranos. Even American-made comedies started to get 'smarter'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

HIMYM aside, what other comedies do you like? AD is in a way liked so much because it's completely different other sitcoms and very much breaks the mold. No laugh track, a writing staff that is completely self-aware, loads of referential humor, and an ability to build up jokes up episodes before they happen (seriously probably the the best humor-based continuity you'll ever find)...that type of "smart" humor is the kind goons would just dig the hell out of it. It's not that hard to imagine, is it?

There's also shows like Californication, Entourage, Weeds, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. 15 years ago the only comedies on television people watched were Friends and Seinfeld.