Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAG ON THE FORUMS
Mar 19, 2003

by Fragmaster
In Discworld Mud, somebody managed to get back to the Mended Drum (which is basically the center of the world and where the most people will be at any given time) after being killed by a vampire.

Now, vampires are very strong and live in a far-off area of discworld where new, weak people will never go. The problem is that when you're killed by a vampire, your corpse turns into a vampire.

So this corpse turned into a vampire and started killing people left and right, who then turned into vampires themselves, setting off a huge chain reaction that ended up with the the town of Ankh-Morpork (the main city in the game) being full of vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I have fond memories of griefing AkAnon in Everquest back in the day. You see, there was a 1 handed blunt weapon you could get from a quest there that was WAY overpowered. I think you only needed to be level 5 to kill the quest mob. The balancing factor was the fact that it was a blunt weapon and would throw your skills out of whack since warriors never use blunt weapons later on.

If you just intended to grief the newbie zone though, it was the bees knees. I could take out ANYBODY with this thing. Not even pet classes could touch me because the pet would be dead within 30 seconds and then I'd turn on the caster if they didn't start running soon enough. This was around the time people were killing the gnome guards and leaving the fine steel weapons to rot, which sold for a pretty penny. I went around scavenging what I could, and killing anyone that beat me to the loot. Pretty soon I had a substantial bankroll. Since my main problem was that I didn't have any spells, I spent all my money training up fletching. After a few days of that, I crafted a bow that the game didn't really expect you to be able to afford for a long time. I also made a bunch of expensive arrows. So now I had an overpowered melee weapon as well as a way of killing people who were out of melee range.

I eventually met my match though...some guy that had gotten to like level 20 and then delevelled himself back down to level 7 or so. When you delevelled, you got to keep all your weapon skills from the higher level for some reason, so he hit like a freight train and rarely missed.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

The Remote Viewer posted:

I have fond memories of griefing AkAnon in Everquest back in the day. You see, there was a 1 handed blunt weapon you could get from a quest there that was WAY overpowered. I think you only needed to be level 5 to kill the quest mob. The balancing factor was the fact that it was a blunt weapon and would throw your skills out of whack since warriors never use blunt weapons later on.

It was called the Bullrusher right? I camped that poo poo for days, I was the pimpinest halfling warrior ever with it for a while.

EQ also had collision detection so if you played a large race like a troll or ogre you could block entrances to zones. I once drove about 50 people insane blocking the entrance to Guk with my grotesquely dancing ogre Shadowknight, who was dressed in alternating red and yellow platemail. I think they even ran a few trains at me to try to dislodge me to no avail.

I also used to be that one monk rear end in a top hat who ruined everyone's day in Blackburrow over and over again. I was a master of training Gnolls in that zone, feigning, and making crazy jumps that forced trains to path through the whole level to get to me, obliterating everything in their path.

In the Velious expansion there was a crystal mine zone that was a big vertical shaft surrounded by a spiral staircase. As a monk I would agro enemies at the top, jump down to the bottom and take no damage thanks to safe fall, and cause the train from hell to come rolling down the mine annihilating everyone.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

FAG ON THE FORUMS posted:

So this corpse turned into a vampire and started killing people left and right, who then turned into vampires themselves, setting off a huge chain reaction that ended up with the the town of Ankh-Morpork (the main city in the game) being full of vampires.

Carpe jugulum, I suppose.

Toxin
Mar 13, 2001

Diogines posted:

Finally it got to Fort Teth... and the slaughter began. In AC if you died, your corpse dropped your a few of your best items, though no one but you could get the items for hours. Fort Teth being a hub of the game, people would bring their mules there, low level characters filled with loot to trade and no combat ability. The rabbit arrived and... the slaughter began. It went on for close to 5 hours. The game had poor path finding AI, once the rabbit was in the fort it coudl not get out, but it COULD attack anyone in range. The ground was so covered in corpses you could not see it in large patches. At first people were calling in allegiance(guild) mates to make an event out of it, to try to kill the dreaded rabbit. Then it turned to desperation. People died and starting losing seriously great loot but they could not go to recover them because the rabbit would one shot everyone who showed up. The rabbit went unkilled, but people kept coming in for hours and hours, just logging in, having no idea what awaited them and instantly dying. Most would come back after dying to see what happened and... die again.

It was a thing of beauty.

I thought this happened at the AB lifestone, not Teth... Maybe it happened at in Teth at some point later, but the first occurrence was definitely at the AB lifestone.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any MUD with a void trash can and the ability to carry bodies.

Kill a player or knock them unconcious. Lug them over to the trash can, and watch as their playtime disappears when it is dumped in the can.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

It happened at Teth a year and a half before AB was even in the game. By the time AB was added, Teth stopped being a real player hotspot.

To answer the earlier question, how did it end?

When the rabit had no target it would automatically run to the direction of it's spawn, which was blocked by a wall.

Eventually some people managed to lead it out the main gate and after they died, it ran back to it's spawn.

Tres
Jun 21, 2003

Richard Stallman AKA St. iGNUcius-sama <3
Grimey Drawer
Battlefield Vietnam is by far the best game for griefing. Forgotten by everyone else except the people that love it, it is extremely easy to cause massive amounts of drama.

In Battlefield Vietnam there are transport helicopters that you can jump into and walk around in. As in all Battlefield games there's a certain subset of gamers that love using the helicopters and believe that they are more skilled than any other player in the history of mankind.

Helicopter meet mortar.

See, Battlefield Vietnam also includes deployable mortars which are actually small vehicles. The mortar has one interesting physics property - it wants to make contact with level ground any way that it can.

Now, Dice were kind of smart when they implemented the mortar, they made it so you couldn't deploy the mortar on top of vehicles. Unfortunately it's extremely easy to work around this and the results are hilarious.

So just before a freshly spawned helicopter takes off you jump into the back of it and deploy your mortar inside, before hopping out and watching from a distance. As the helicopter takes off it seems like nothing is happening at first, then eventually whoever is flying will try and bank a bit to turn. This means that the mortar - with its physics property of wanting to reach the ground - will move towards one of the walls of the helicopter, making that side of the helicopter also want to come into contact with the ground and increasing the helicopters bank. Eventually the bank will increase so much that the mortar will move onto the ceiling of the helicopter making the ceiling want to make contact with the ground.

Essentially the helicopter goes up, flips, and hits the ground upside down.

Of course the person flying knows that something was wrong with the helicopter, but try telling that to 4 or 5 angry team mates that have just died. Normally one person in particular will be spectacularly butt hurt about this, claiming that the pilot is a "nub" and insisting that they fly next.

That's when you do it again. The inevitable explosion on chat is hilarious.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Does anyone have a link to the story of an EVE player who duped some high level organization out of nearly everything? He did this by working his way into several EVE forums and posted on several fake accounts to back up his own ideas. I just remember that it was a great read on griefing.

vvv Yes, that's it, The Great Scam

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 28, 2008

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Guildenstern posted:

Holy poo poo that brought back memories. Has it really been that many years?

Being part of the looter culture in UO was fantastic. The Galads (both the original two and Neutral), Belan, The Secret Gimp and so on, all the legends of looting... Seriously, best griefing ever, it was awesome watching all the trammies get into helpless rages about losing their stuff. Especially if you looted with style like they did.

Man, I miss UO so much. I've fallen out of touch with all but one of my ingame crew too :(

I can't believe all you old time UO players haven't mentioned Warik's Joy of Villainy (http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/) yet. JoV eventually turned into a private server guild or something, and I think they're in AoC now, with a guy named Nighthawk who took over for Warik after he lost interest. Click the stories link on the left--there's probably a good couple hundred old-school UO griefing stories. Read Warik's, Greybeard's, and Nighthawk's, especially. If you go to the main wtfman site, you'll find links to UOEvil and RonaldMcDonaldland, two other pretty good griefer sites from back in the day

Anyone know of a working mirror for the Bonedewd and Platedewd comics?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Vet in Debt posted:

Does anyone have a link to the story of an EVE player who duped some high level organization out of nearly everything? He did this by working his way into several EVE forums and posted on several fake accounts to back up his own ideas. I just remember that it was a great read on griefing.

I'm not sure whether it's what you're thinking of, but there's this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060828-7605.html

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Vet in Debt posted:

I think this is what you're talking about. The Great Scam?

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Orfeo posted:

I think someone at some point came out and stated they wrote this as fiction, which I believe because it doesn't really provide an accurate account of how the game works anyway.

Mr.Roboto
May 12, 2007
Yes yes, you're welcome damnit.

Epsilon Plus posted:

In Second Life, I had a homing plasma cannon that, by our records, could fling people 2 grids away. Mass entertainment.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I also had a gun that shot expanding sticky foam balls, which you could plug up doors with. I built a giant fort out of expanding foam balls on top of someone's house.

Do you guys happen to remember the exact name of those guns and where you got them?

:laugh:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I think the worst thing I ever did was in Everquest. I had a high level enchanter and I discovered a bug that allowed you to charm something, cast invisibility on it and then break the charm. The only thing is invisibility would never wear off so I'd do that on aggressive mobs and train them into newbies. Eventually many of them figured there was a command to automatically attack whatever is attacking you but many times they would run around all crazy because they didn't know what was going on.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I had a pretty interesting Eve scam I ran on this guy. I was in the starter NPC corp after being rejected into Goon and I was watching all these dipshits talk about whatever. This one guy was ranting about how you should be able to use bots to mine blah blah blah. As many of you know there aren't many rules in Eve, two of the big ones though are that you can't IRL threaten someone and you can't use bots to mine. So a few hours later I send this guy a mail about how I share his thoughts on macromining and could help him out by selling him a bot. So I arrange for him to give me 50mil up front and 50mil afterwards. He sends me 50mil and I give him a megaupload link to some bullshit rar'd file. I think at that point that's it but about a week later he starts sending me mails telling me he can't get it to work. So I decide to press the issue a bit and give him a link to a forum where some lovely public bot is available. We convo back and forth for a few weeks and he keeps complaining that he can't get it to work. So finally I bring up the mention that he still owes me 50mil. He starts getting pissed off so I push his buttons a bit and threaten "further action" to receive the ISK he owes me. This makes him go bat-poo poo and he spouts off a bunch of poo poo like I don't know who the gently caress he is, generic e-tough guy threats. So I push a few more buttons eventually getting him to threaten to "drive to where I live and kick my rear end". So then I bring up the fact that his account will be banned (it was a 2004 character) and tell him if he doesn't pay me the 50mil he owes me, plus another 100mil for hush money, I would petition him for threatening me. He finally pays me after a few more weeks but I petitioned him anyways. I don't know if he got banned but he hasn't logged on in a long time.

:byewhore:

Diamato
Jul 17, 2006

Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man
I had some good times griefing in Everquest as well. The plane of tranquility became the meeting place for most characters after the planes of power expansion was released and people would often afk there, believing they were safe. There were no monsters in this zone so for the most part they were.

I played a druid however, which had a spell which could levitate yourself and other characters. If you levitated someone, and was larger or the same sized race as the victim, you could slowly move them around by standing close to them if you were levitated as well. The plane of tranquility also happened to be surrounded by an ocean so you could push people right over the water and when the spell wore off they would drown. This procedure worked best if you were larger than the other person, so I would always buy up potions that turned you into an ogre or troll and went to work.

This wasn't just limited to this zone however. I pushed a few people from the bazaar, where you would afk and set your player up as a vendor essentially, and into the nearby arena or into the portals which lead to other zones. Good times.

Training a poo poo load of monsters onto groups and dispelling a characters charmed monster at an inopportune moment was always a good time too, but had a much higher chance of getting you reported.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

sNacKp!pE posted:

He finally pays me after a few more weeks but I petitioned him anyways. I don't know if he got banned but he hasn't logged on in a long time.

:byewhore:

HAHAHAHAHA

Edit: That reminds me of loving with bots in WoW. Sometimes you could trick them into helping you kill poo poo, but most of the time it was more satisfying to get them killed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The first year and a quarter or so of Asherons Call after the game came out, there was no trade mechanism. Trades occurred by droping stuff on the ground, for the other person or anyone to get.

Everyone else was playing a game called Asherons Call. I was playing "steal things and make people cry". Every day when I got home from school I would log in, go to Arwic or Gual. I would buy some fancy looking but worthless equipment from a vendor, and throw it on a new character to look like a mule. I had robbing people down to an artform. I did not really care about what I got, so much as simply ripping people off. I received a great, great amount of enjoyment from it. The most common scam would be to argue over the price for an hour and work out the most absurd minutia, haggle past the point of absurdity, then demand half up front because *I* did not trust them, most people would be so tired from haggling they would just hand over half the deal.

Of course taking peoples items was not enough. Then you claim this character did not have the item and you had it on another mule and you would be RIGHT back in a second!

The method for finding thieves at the time was generally this: Whoever publicly screamed in a crowded town first, "X IS A THIEF!", wins. So after wasting an hour or more of someones time and then robbing them, I would run back to town to cover my rear end. I would scream "X IS A THIEF! X STOLE Y FROM ME! DON'T TRUST X! HE IS A THIEF!" then I would rapidly switch between throw away characters and yell out things like "Z IS RIGHT! X IS A THIEF! HE ROBBED ME LAST WEEK DO NOT TRUST HIM HE IS A SCAMMER!", do this with 3 or 4 characters. I was flabbergasted how often this worked, which seemed to be most of the time.

The best part was hanging around town later on an another character, say 10 or 15 minutes later when the person finally caught on they were robbed. Then they would run to town and scream that my character was a thief.... and then hearing total stranger yell back "Don't trust X! I heard he is a thief, he robbed my friend!" etc.

A lowercase M looked a lot like an r and an n next to each other. The shenanigans with this were unending. Another good scam would be to make a fake name and impersonate people with a lower case m in their name and join their allegiance(guild), then rob other people claiming to be them.

Even more fun would be to impersonate guild leaders with a lower case m in their name. In a crowded town no one could tell who was talking by finding them, they simply heard the chat. So, if you had a fake lower case m, you could accuse people of being thieves etc. Eventually a group of "honest brokers" called the FTF, free trade federation opened on my server. I had one respected character and I was invited to join. The FTF acted as middle men for trades and were seen as the only legitimate trade brokers for the server. Once I joined..... it became so much easier. I would rob people constantly and then scream how THEY were thieves, with my neat little membership in the FTF, their reputations were destroyed in an instant, people were thrown out of their guilds for being scammers. I kept on at this for months and months and months, I was proboably one of the wealthiest players on the server, but I just kept stock piling the loot, I never leveled much, I would just log in most days to rob people. A lot of the UO crowd missed out on AC, the first year and a half were incredibly fun.

My thief throw away characters got a notorious reputation as scammers and I would get contacted by people who wanted to learn to steal and scam other players. I would demand absurd, exorbitant fees and the majority of these idiots were willing to pay. They would pay me and I was then to give them an in game book with instructions on how to rob people on it. They received a book, but the only thing written in it was "Just how stupid are you?"

I got so many threats of real life violence against me. I was well, an rear end in a top hat. Not only did I rob many people, I then ruined their reputations for no particularly good reason except that it was really, really funny.

All of that occured on one of the no pvp servers.

On darktide, the asherons call PVP server I robbed blood and other people.... oh boy that was fun. There were a handful of mechanical glitches in the game which very few players new about, they did not do anything useful but it made you look like you knew some great secret. A scam I pulled near a hundred times was to show someone "the dupe bug". There was a trick to make it seem like you could dupe a stackable item, like arrows, when in reality nothing happened. I would tell them I was new to the server and needed some stuff worth duping and if they would help provide the original items, either I would dupe for them, or teach them how. Far less people on the PVP server threatened to track me down and murder me, which is the opposite of what you would of expected.

Some poor bastard bought 4 special gems you needed to make the best armor in the game on ebay for nearly $600. I strung this guy along for a week before I finally robbed him and he gave me everything for some bizarre and incredible loot I promised him. That was the only time I really felt bad about robbing someone, he was able to prove he really was stupid enough to pay all that money for something in a video game, it was so pathetic that I gave him back 3 of the 4 gems and did not try to ruin his reputation.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 28, 2008

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Orfeo posted:

Man, that was really long. I feel bad for poor hardhat, and for the library attendants, who probably eventually ended up unplugging that phone.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Oh god, I just remembered something.

Remember Habbo Hotel? When I was like, 13 or so, me and my friend thought up this brilliant idea. We'd create temporary accounts, offer people codes, which gave them credits, in exchange for objects, furniture and stuff. They were fake codes, and the objects were promptly traded to our actual account, and never signed on again with the scamming account.

How people fell for it is beyond me, nobody ever questioned why we didn't just use the codes.

I'm actually a bit embarrassed by it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Mr.Roboto posted:

Do you guys happen to remember the exact name of those guns and where you got them?

:laugh:

I dunno mine exactly, what I do remember is that it's a huge fuckoff multigun - it does EVERYTHING short of sucking cock. Using chat commands you can change the color and what attachments it has, it has all kinds of fire modes, it can fire colored smoke grenades, blah blah blah.

I'll sign into SL tomorrow and see if it has a notecard or something.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

World of Warcraft
Get an Elekk mount (an elephant), stand on top of the flight NPC so people can't target him, go AFK.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Planetside yet. Where you could get Grief points. Planetside was an MMO-FPS set in the future with three factions and all that horseshit. Anyway if you killed, damaged, shot or hurt your teammates, their vehicles or their engineer toys (turrets, sensors) you got grief points. When you got enough grief points you couldn't use vehicles, get a few more, you can't use your weapons, that sort of thing.

However, comma, pause for effect there was one sure fire way to kill a platoon size element of your own team without getting points. You see if you were the owner of a vehicle you could lock it, preventing others from getting into just the trunk if you were using it to transport ammo or you could toggle it from trunk, passenger, driver slot positions too. If someone was in this slot it would kick them out. Now this game had water too and a lot of it was too deep even for the powered armor types to turn on run mode and get through without drowning.

So one day after being frustrated at my team loosing and having racked up enough grief points thanks to assholes standing in front of my tank every time I popped out of cover to fire before going back, that I couldn't get in any other vehicle I logged off and rolled a new character named Tossuindrink, got him up two or three ranks and had him train flying vehicles. Grabbed the transport airplane (galaxy) and told everyone at my sides main continent to get in, flew out to the deepest body of water near a hotspot and locked the Galaxy.

A full load of about 10 people and one wheeled jeep, streaked blue as they fell into the water.

Then I spent the rest of the day doing this.

So long story short my team pissed me off in Planetside so I loaded as many people as I could in a transport plane and made them all eject over the deepest water I could find. You can't swim in this game they all drowned and I spent all day doing it.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
If there is a game, me and my buddy griefed in it.

In zombie panic, we would find a corner or room to go into. One of us was a zombie and would block the door while the other stood behind. When others walked up, the zombie would play dumb. When the zombie turned around, the human ran away and hid in the room.

Also, door blocking door blocking door blocking.

Then of course there is spawn killing in surf maps in CS:S. I've probably made a few 13 year olds kill themselves by now. Getting kill after kill after kill while the other team tried oh so hard to leave the spawn. If one decided he wouldn't leave, one of us would go around and finish the job.

Bailing out of vehicles in Battlefield to annihilate teammates with no penalty. I would get a helicopter loaded up and then start spinning it. Eventually you could pick up enough speed where if anyone jumped out, they would get clobbered by it and killed instantly. Doing backflips in fully loaded helicopters over water. I would always complete the backflip, but everyone would always bail, every time.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Anjow posted:

World of Warcraft
Get an Elekk mount (an elephant), stand on top of the flight NPC so people can't target him, go AFK.
Similarly, play a tauren (large man-cow) while standing on top of one of the petite little elf quest givers while pvp flagged. If someone tries to talk to the quest giver, they stand a decent chance of accidentally clicking on you, attacking once, then getting butchered by the guards.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Anjow posted:

World of Warcraft

Sadly, these levels of not really griefing at all but mildly frustrating newbies who don't know what they are doing is the level most MMO's are at now.

Developers do everything to make player's lives easy and ungriefable, and we're left with the odd exploit that will be fixed next patch. I desperately hope that there are one or two future MMORPG's which will be like EVE or Ultima, both popular and supporting through interesting mechanics for people who don't always want to be nice.

That's not just so I can grief, but because it really does lead to more interesting interaction dynamics, as we see in the intrigue often appearing in EVE.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
I used to join a random clan counterstrike source server, die as soon as possible, then conduct a text adventure in global chat.

>You are in a dusty corridor. Gunfire can be heard in the east. There are exits to the north, south and east.

Usually I'd be banned right away but a couple of times I had the whole server playing along.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Anjow posted:

World of Warcraft
It's more fun with the battlemasters.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Not really anything that incredible, but in Metal Gear Online that just came out-- you can immobilize, and piss off a good part of your team. Theres a pr0n mag item that you can lay as a trap. When an enemy comes across it, they are forced to hover around it not being able to execute any action for 20 seconds. Problem is, the pr0n mags can also trap people on your team.

Spawn with the pr0n mags, plant them around the spawn, get more pr0n mags from the spawn screen menu, plant more, and then watch as your team gets slaughtered while looking at pr0n.

Its really amazing to see 5-7 people stuck at the spawn unable to do anything except die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Oh man the bit with the scouts in the second half was priceless...

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
Any FPS where you can cook grenades, I would pick one teammate and make his life a living, exploding hell.

Also, like others, in BF2, riding into other vehicles with explosives. But rather than jumping out, I played the terrorist scream and died as well.

Siege
Aug 4, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Peepers posted:

I think someone at some point came out and stated they wrote this as fiction, which I believe because it doesn't really provide an accurate account of how the game works anyway.

Aw drat are you serious? Ah well, it was still a good thread.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Avalanche posted:

Not really anything that incredible, but in Metal Gear Online that just came out-- you can immobilize, and piss off a good part of your team. Theres a pr0n mag item that you can lay as a trap. When an enemy comes across it, they are forced to hover around it not being able to execute any action for 20 seconds. Problem is, the pr0n mags can also trap people on your team.

Spawn with the pr0n mags, plant them around the spawn, get more pr0n mags from the spawn screen menu, plant more, and then watch as your team gets slaughtered while looking at pr0n.

Its really amazing to see 5-7 people stuck at the spawn unable to do anything except die.

Porn. It is spelled porn.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
In WoW you could have a shaman and a priest on a high bridge with water below, the priest would mind-control the unknowing victim then the shaman would cast walk on water on him and the priest would continue to throw him off the bridge, so as soon as he hit the water he would die of falldamage.
Also in CoD4 you could throw a grenade in front of your teammates quickly change teams and you would get the kills credited as kills not teamkills.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Another great bit of Eve griefing

quote:

The perpetrator of the heist was the Guiding Hand Social Club (GHSC) corporation (a corporation being similar to a clan in Eve); a freelance mercenary outfit that offers their services (which usually involves corp infiltration, theft and assassination) to the highest bidder. Over a year in planning, the GHSC infilitrated their target's corp with their own members and gained their trust, as well as access to the corp hangers, with time. It all concluded in a perfectly timed climax, with a massive theft in multiple corp hangars synchronized with the in-game killing of the corporation's CEO, the primary target of the contract.

This is what got me, and I'm sure many others, into the game in the first place. Few games allow this level straight-up evil :hehe:

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Back in the old school UO I had a fun time griefing in a particular way.

You see, when you step in a gate and out the other side, certain monsters would auto-attack you the very moment you stepped out of that gate, which made the ratman archer spawn extremely lethal. This also includes dragons. Now what I would do is to set up a house somewhere, ideally on an island or some place no one knows, and set up a little area that's walled off by locked down boxes. I would then take the dragon inside and then release it from being tamed. Now one would think I would die from the dragon but you think wrong! For some reason, it would not target me or attack me in any way, or anyone else UNLESS you came in via a gate, or entered the house via the front door. So I would sit in my dragon pen, sending gates to the banks of various cities and then dispelling them on my side. And then the suckers would come. Oh yes, the suckers would come, hopping on to a strange and fantastic gate that would surely send them to a magical adventure! However this magical adventure had a brick wall in the form of a dragon, or several dragons. So the moment they came in they were getting mauled alive with no gate back to the other side. I would laugh, loot, and repeat.

On a UO-related note some of my suicide gates led to the ratman fort. A place in the white wyrm dungeon that was filled with ice elementals, snow elementals, and ice demons. An area I called 'Ophidian Road' that was located on the way to Terathan Keep that was simply FULL of ophidians. And a few other places I can't recall.

I remember one notable time when I was doing this on an island, and I had a whole slew of ghosts standing outside my tower, banned, when I see some dude come sailing down on a boat. He begins meteor striking my dragon, however I was quicker on the draw and re-tamed it before he could kill it. Sadly, he rezzed and gated all my victims back to town.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 28, 2008

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Pointsman posted:

Another great bit of Eve griefing

This is what got me, and I'm sure many others, into the game in the first place. Few games allow this level straight-up evil :hehe:

The best part is that when they betrayed and killed the CEO, he was in a priceless, one-of-a-kind ship. That's a pretty big gently caress you.

But that's not all... they killed him with another priceless, one-of-a-kind ship. That is style.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5455275718237476919&q=team+monstrous&ei=QUFmSNXxDJGIrQKm0rDjBA

Team moNstrous video for Counter-Strike. It's still one of the funniest griefing videos I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Best griefing I was ever part of was when Disney's Toontown did its first open beta.

The game was designed to be completely grief-proof, because it was targeted at little kids. Everyone's character was a disney animal, like a duck or a goofy-esque dog or a mouse or whatever. Unless you entered another player's passkey, you couldn't even understand what they were saying -- they'd just speak in speech bubbles full of animal noises ("quack quack wuack" etc.) Character names are picked from a menu. There's no way to trade items with other players. So on, so forth. Designed from the ground up so that you cannot grief other players.

The basic engine of the game was reclaiming parts of Toontown from a "cog invasion" -- robots, basically. The cogs took over houses, you freed the houses, etc. Some houses were tougher than others and so forth

So what we did was powergame the city zones so that all the entry-level zones so thoroughly that there were no cogs at all and people couldn't advance & the game ground to a halt. We got really good at ninja-grabbing the houses as soon as they spawned before other players could start them, etc.

After a while people got really irritated with us but there was nothing they could do except follow us around making "woof woof" "quack quack" "meep meep' noises.

Not the wildest or most extreme griefing ever -- no Eve shenanigans, and every MMO has had similar incidents -- but amusing to me because the game had so obviously been designed from the ground up to be completely grief-proof. A few days after we got rolling Disney shut down the beta and didn't open it up again for like a year.

Calenth fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 28, 2008

• Locked thread