Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz

sephiRoth IRA posted:

How much time do you devote to go in a week? I'm trying to decide if I want to give in to paying this again. I played a few 9x9s with a friend and had a blast talking out positions, but we are on vacation right now so time isn't a factor.

But back in reality, I have both responsibilities and other hobbies and I know go requires quite a bit of focus if you want to improve.

I never have been successful without someone to drive me, a study buddy, but I also don't have a night a week to connect with an online group or whatever, let alone play an hour- long 19x19.

Ugh God what a post. Don't search this thread, I'm sure I have five posts just like this popping up once every 1-3 years....

I play at our local club every week. Usually 1 or 2 games plus an hour or two of review and looking at joseki, opening positions with other players.

Daily tsumego takes ~15 minutes. I try to play 2-3 serious games a week online. Some kind of study, whether Youtube lectures, studying fuseki or reading is maybe 2 hours a week. So that's probably ~9 hours a week. But I'm in a try hard period trying to get to 1 dan.

Whatever you like doing spending time on is probably the best way to make sure you find time to play/ study. No one is above studying tsumego, but whatever keeps you energized for more, whether blitz, a serious game, Youtube or reading, enjoying the time spent is the most important thing :) I'd be more than happy to help you review games too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Excellent comments and perspective from.both of you, thanks. I think I'm gonna try to do some 9x9 blitz even if it's not "true" go

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

How much time do you devote to go in a week? I'm trying to decide if I want to give in to paying this again. I played a few 9x9s with a friend and had a blast talking out positions, but we are on vacation right now so time isn't a factor.

But back in reality, I have both responsibilities and other hobbies and I know go requires quite a bit of focus if you want to improve.

I never have been successful without someone to drive me, a study buddy, but I also don't have a night a week to connect with an online group or whatever, let alone play an hour- long 19x19.

Ugh God what a post. Don't search this thread, I'm sure I have five posts just like this popping up once every 1-3 years....

I feel the same, I play go about 5 hours a year so I'll always suck but I've given up on my dreams of going pro. I just read books and sometimes I play with my kids, and maybe someday I'll make a Go friend and actually improve.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Longtime friend started playing a lot and so I've been getting back into this, I played a bunch like 12 years ago and got up to 5-6k, then basically 1-2 games a year. Having a lot of fun and seem to be around 9-10k now. guess the ranking drop is not as bad as it could be - my early game decisionmaking has taken a hit, but my reading isn't too bad. Hopefully I can get through some big mistakes and slither my way back to where I was before by just sticking with it.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hikaru no Go stones

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
That's dope as gently caress. That's the show that got me into this game in the first place

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mederlock posted:

That's dope as gently caress. That's the show that got me into this game in the first place

You and oh, so so many people, heh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I was already aware of go but I'm hoping to use it on my kids at some point.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gonna try joining the kgs server at some point this week. I'd really like to learn how to play this but I need those first hundred loses out of my system.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Gonna try joining the kgs server at some point this week. I'd really like to learn how to play this but I need those first hundred loses out of my system.

ITGO isn't a very active server on KGS just FYI. You can find some of us on Discord and I'm happy to play. OGS is the more popular server these days I believe.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Well gently caress. I'd liked this channel.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well gently caress. I'd liked this channel.

Is the channel US based? If so they have no excuse.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is the channel US based? If so they have no excuse.

"Honoring the Great Person" doesn't seem colloquial to an American. I'd guess Korean based on the geopolitical historical contexts necessary to not hate Kissinger.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well gently caress. I'd liked this game.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Pack it up. Go is cancelled.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Oh, lol https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/s/jilh0TiOIz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Best victory on OGS so far, victory against a 3kyu.

Been trying to climb out of 1d on Fox but still keep bouncing back to 1k