Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Wikipedia posted:

In February 2022, after training KataGo for 11 months, [Igo Hatsuyōron 120] appears solved: the main variation has 205 moves and finishes with a White win by one point, assuming White begins the game and there are no prisoners initially. The score does not depend on the rule set, with the same result with Japanese, Chinese, Tromp-Taylor or New Zealand scoring. Though it cannot be certain that the solution is perfect, it is an improvement over previous solutions. KataGo took less than 4 months to figure out the best sequence of moves, and despite seven more months of training and multiple actions to encourage it to explore new lines of play, the best line of play remained unchanged, KataGo only consolidating its view of the problem. The expert Thomas Redecker contributed thousands of Igo's position diagrams to train KataGo and shares this view that the problem now appears to be solved.
Apparently it was thought to be a win for black until the AI analysis, though some discoveries had changed Black's winning score. Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko), who handled the manuscript discovered in 1982, had added the caption "Black to play and win".

(In the quotation, "assuming White begins the game and there are no prisoners initially" refers to the initial position's White stones outnumbering Black by 1, implying Black to play.)

Redecker's website: https://igohatsuyoron120.de/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
that’s nuts. It’s insane to me that a human compared that problem, also.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
goign to play go again. going to go over a pro game on my real board in the hour before work, thinking about the general state of the board and thinking about where id like to play, etc.. and after work load the previous day's games i played into ai-sensei or something and go over them. and then play a bunch of games. do tsumego throughout the day on my phone. the whole shebang

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I gotta get back into it, I’ve inadvertently taken a couple months off.

Before I start some OGS correspondence and hang out on KGS in the evenings sometimes, is there anyone else people are playing lately?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
picked up my 5k fox account and won four of six games tonight. four won games were against completely insane people and the last game i lost was against someone who played completely reasonable moves most of the time and i cant handle that

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i have ascended to 4k on fox. i am unstoppable

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it turns out i am stoppable. lost 4 out of 5 games tonight mostly due to really boneheaded oversights.

also using the crap out of fox's score estimator button. its impossible to resist

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mycophobia posted:

it turns out i am stoppable. lost 4 out of 5 games tonight mostly due to really boneheaded oversights.

also using the crap out of fox's score estimator button. its impossible to resist

The estimators are all really, really rough - don't get too reliant on it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
still losing a bunch. lost 7 of the last 10 games i played, mostly due to reasons i can understand at least. 4kyu is harder than 5kyu

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So tonight I knocked one of my containers with Go stones off my nightstand. It was made of glass and shattered quite spectacularly.

Any suggestions for replacements? These were my travel stones so I'm looking for something that could be closed more securely than the traditional wooden bowls.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
why am i such an idiot!!! aaah!!!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Am I misreading it or isn’t it dead already even if you play above or right, because black 172 still falsifies that eye and cuts you off from the corner? I feel like it might even be dead already by 168 but I can’t quite read it out.

edit: not trying to be a jerk here, just inadvertently started doing some reading practice and wanted to see if I was missing something.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
No worries. I'm not quite sure what you're saying though. I was black and neglected to play 172 due to time pressure, I had one 30 second byoyomi left

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Ah, I thought you were white and were regretting having played 172 rather than an adjacent point, and then just totally misread the situation with the incorrect background assumption that white was dead. Ignore the above, lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Lost a bunch at 4k and got demoted and then stomped rear end at 5k and got promoted again in a short time. Will the ping ponging continue...?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mycophobia posted:

Lost a bunch at 4k and got demoted and then stomped rear end at 5k and got promoted again in a short time. Will the ping ponging continue...?

This always seems to be the case - every time you go up a stone you'll hit a losing streak and drop two before climbing back up and promote another stone...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
seemingly unreasonable 3-3 invasions are the bane of my existence. if i could fend those off consistently i'd gain 2-3 stones strength

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mycophobia posted:

seemingly unreasonable 3-3 invasions are the bane of my existence. if i could fend those off consistently i'd gain 2-3 stones strength

Join the discord and post some replays. There shouldn't be questionable 3-3 invasions, if it's possible to live inside and they threaten the outside value, you should be responding accordingly whether that is attacking the outside group or securing the corner.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I played even one color go on a lark (after a great 2 stone handicap game against an european 3kyu) against another 3 kyu. Surprisingly we finished the game and I won a few capture battles until I misread a ladder and resigned. We played enough moves to run out of stones in a goke.

It's very fun and actually very doable even despite my low strength.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

What's the best Go app on Android? I do have a good steam game and such but I was thinking today it's be great if I could just play a simple go app on the phone while flying

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

What's the best Go app on Android? I do have a good steam game and such but I was thinking today it's be great if I could just play a simple go app on the phone while flying

tsumego pro is a great problem app.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
+1 for Tsumego Pro

I’d self-promote my own app, BadukPop, but it won’t work without a network connection XD.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

CaptainEO posted:

+1 for Tsumego Pro

I’d self-promote my own app, BadukPop, but it won’t work without a network connection XD.

Oh wow you're the badukpop guy?? I play on that from time to time

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

The OGS app on android is a lot nicer than the one on iPhone

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

CaptainEO posted:

+1 for Tsumego Pro

Both these apps are great but I do particularly like yours (even if I can't play it in airplane mode :P) But it's exactly what I was looking for - something where I get little points and coins and stuff each game and I like that the puzzles come with brief explanations and answers at the end. Really good stuff!

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Cool, yeah, a big piece of feedback we got early on was that tsumego answers are hard to understand for beginners, because new players don’t recognize living or dead shapes right away. So we went and built full move trees for the first ~35 problems, which go all the way to taking the group off the board. One day I hope we can use AI to build exhaustive move trees for all problems.

We’ll be sending out Autumn Festival gifts this afternoon (a couple of free items to every account) so now is a good time to install the app if you haven’t already :) https://badukpop.com

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Back from a tournament, did pretty well. My database rank is too high because I didn't know EGF was so strong when I played my first tourney and declared 5k, when in reality I was 9k. A couple months later and I played evenly at 6k and won a few games too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Space Cadet insisted on playing on a full 19x19 board tonight. I gave her a huge handicap and pulled my punches a lot but it was a good game. I think we're going to scale back to something smaller in general (11x11 or 13x13) but she enjoyed it which was awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Space Cadet insisted on playing on a full 19x19 board tonight. I gave her a huge handicap and pulled my punches a lot but it was a good game. I think we're going to scale back to something smaller in general (11x11 or 13x13) but she enjoyed it which was awesome.

I had a similar experience with my 6yo on the 13x13 (I haven't even shown her a 19x19). We only play every couple months but I'm terrible so it balances out.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My wife hates playing with me :saddowns: . She's says the gap between us is too large for it to be fun (.. I'm like, 19kyu at best), even when I give her 5 stones on a 9x9. So basically I have a beautiful 1" thick goban but nobody to play with :negative:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mederlock posted:

My wife hates playing with me :saddowns: . She's says the gap between us is too large for it to be fun (.. I'm like, 19kyu at best), even when I give her 5 stones on a 9x9. So basically I have a beautiful 1" thick goban but nobody to play with :negative:

Have you considered having a child to teach to hate playing with you?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I hear you buddy.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Have you considered having a child to teach to hate playing with you?

Lmao, that's the eventual plan. Until then, it's virtual Go for this guy

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Lmao, that's the eventual plan. Until then, it's virtual Go for this guy

I just can't get into online go. For some reason it's just boring without the social aspect. I guess I'm getting old.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just can't get into online go. For some reason it's just boring without the social aspect. I guess I'm getting old.

Our Go club was destroyed by COVID, it’s simply gone. I feel you.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

No, that's too social.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

My wife likes most board games, but does tend to have analysis paralysis. When I showed her the 19x19 board she immediately noped out.

I don't have analysis paralysis and am about 10k, but the sheer possibilities on the goddamn board can sometimes give me nightmares too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pander posted:

My wife likes most board games, but does tend to have analysis paralysis. When I showed her the 19x19 board she immediately noped out.

I don't have analysis paralysis and am about 10k, but the sheer possibilities on the goddamn board can sometimes give me nightmares too.

Play with a clock?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hard agree. I think I last posted in this thread or played seriously online almost a decade ago, right about when I found a decent sized go club and some players who were up for games during the week, because I want that social aspect, I want a mix of timed serious games and casual ones, and I really like the experience and aesthetics of playing on a real board.

There's no club where I am now or within 200 miles, so I definitely need to get back onto the online servers. But! If anyone in this thread lives in South Louisiana and would be up for an in-person game, please let me know! I'm roughly between Hammond and New Orleans and willing to travel to either. Maybe there'll be more of us than we thought- I'd be willing to try starting up a club/weekly meetup if there's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

New Orleans absolutely has go clubs. I’m in h town, but have played there when visiting. I’d expect most are local haunts without big web presences because old people run them, but they exist.