Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I just played my first game on a 9x9 and I can say that it's pretty interesting. I'll definitely keep playing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

I don't have time to play on KGS to make registering worth it, but I registered an account on DGS, which isn't real time, but more of a correspondent's Go.

Feel free to challenge me: my userid is tomcuchta.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Just posting to mention that the SA guys are really cool about reviewing your games even if you suck.

The KGS client is great for teaching and learning. It's really well done. I've never seen anything like it for Chess.

JayMax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 24, 2008

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I think I might give this Go thing another shot. Back in high school I bought a book an el-cheapo board/stones set from a bookstore and taught myself and a couple of friends to play. I'm not sure if I ever really got the rules/scoring completely down, but it was a very interesting game. I think I might jump into the SA room tonight and try my hand at a couple of games. I also found a local go group that meets around town twice a week so if I can get a good grasp on the rules, I just might head down and see what those folks are like.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
The rules of Go are really, really simple. Like, really simple. What's hard is having any clue what you are doing - the first few games are the hardest, and you have no idea where to play stones. If you can, learn from someone who knows what they are doing - a game between two players that have never played is some weird exercise that doesn't really resemble Go at all.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

go has more gameplay time than world of warcraft, this is a game where people play for 50 years and then thoughtfully remark "yeah I could probably beat God with a four stone handicap"

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

Ego Piano posted:

the first few games are the hardest,

Go gets harder the better you get and the better you want to do. I'd say 'the first few moves are the hardest' because after a point you can just settle into some conflict that can be understood reasonably well. The best Go proverb I know is 'lose your first 50 games as quickly as possible' which basically means you won't know what you're doing so just mess around and feel good about losing them to learn a little bit from the experience.

Mainly came to the thread to ask if DC just got banned for cursing in the public room, if so I'm sorry - the KGS ban should wear off in a couple days. :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gimpy Joe posted:

I'm sorry
What did you do? :mad:

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
I came into the public room after being idle for a while and saw the admin then saw some chat with curse words and made a mocking comment about how stupid the person was. Later the admin saw my comments and checked some sort of log (???) of the previous chat and banned a goon for comments made when he wasn't there. KGS bans are only for a few days I think. Next time try and keep all swearing to the private room where the rules are pretty much the same as thunderdome.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
This is why we don't hang out in there anymore. Quit chatting at all in SA!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peantoo posted:

This is why we don't hang out in there anymore. Quit chatting at all in SA!
Goons have no self-restraint.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

JayMax posted:

The KGS client is great for teaching and learning. It's really well done. I've never seen anything like it for Chess.

ICC's examination mode would be the equivalent for chess, but you have to pay for ICC, whereas KGS is free, which is nice. Actually, the Fritz interface with Playchess.com is probably the closest equivalent, since it can handle variations in analysis.

For anyone who likes chess and isn't sure if they'll like go, I'd definitely recommend it. The two games are different enough that I don't get burned out from playing both - so if I've played way too much chess lately and feel like I don't want to look at a knight ever again, I can keep my brain working by playing some go for a while.

Stronger chess players (and I presume serious players of other abstract board games) seem to have a softer learning curve early on, which is all the more reason to try the game out. I've had a fun time playing it on and off over the last couple of years, and hope I can get up to a nice single-digit kyu rank one of these days (11k on KGS right now).

Popcorn Sutton
Oct 25, 2007

by The Finn
I'm so loving addicted to this game.

I played like 4 games last night and I need moreeeeeee.

Seriously guys get on KGS and come play with us it's really fun.

John Wayne
Feb 4, 2004
Thanks I am also addicted to this game.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002
Interesting -- I've learnt how to play Go a long time ago, and have given it up several times over the years. Something keeps drawing me back to it, and maybe I'll stick with it this time. Great thread! :)

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Hooray for all the newcomers and oldcomers rediscovering the game! This truly is the most addicting game, and you know you're stuck when you get emotionally distressed or excited because of a game. There are times when I want to quit forever, but I come back and play some more.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
Hey I just got banned too! Anyone that wants to come play some go should join in but be aware the 'F*ck' and 'Sh!t' are considered ban worthy swear words in public rooms. That'll teach me for asking a mod a stupid question after I've insulted multiple times for banning my friends.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I've been playing for a tiny bit. I'm not good enough to plan in the wide angle of the game, but i have started to see what i'm doing wrong, and i can usually guess what move a computer will take to rape me.

it would be cool if i had a person to play with...

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I didn't see this great resource posted: http://gogameworld.com/gophp/pg_samplegames.php

It's a set of championship games displayed step-by-step with commentary from a professional. Not for total beginners, but if you've been playing full size boards for a while, check it out.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

this is the worst promotional effort ever

Nobody is banned permanently, a 'ban' on KGS is a two day walk or whatever they set it to. There is a human being admin who stalks our public channel, but he doesn't actually do anything; if you act indignant in the room, he will start responding since he thinks he is putting the screws on you, but that is about it. You don't have to talk in that room, and nobody did before he showed up anyway.

You should definitely play go because unlike other high-profile timewasters it is categorically free and you can get some real mental exercise. I'm sure if you make it to dan rank and put that poo poo on a resume and send it to a japanese man he will hire the gently caress out of you. In any case, this game is something you can spend years on, and unlike lovely MMOs you can actually apply the skills you learn later on.

Squibz
Nov 19, 2005

King of Threads

Under 15 posted:

this is the worst promotional effort ever

Nobody is banned permanently, a 'ban' on KGS is a two day walk or whatever they set it to. There is a human being admin who stalks our public channel, but he doesn't actually do anything; if you act indignant in the room, he will start responding since he thinks he is putting the screws on you, but that is about it. You don't have to talk in that room, and nobody did before he showed up anyway.

You should definitely play go because unlike other high-profile timewasters it is categorically free and you can get some real mental exercise. I'm sure if you make it to dan rank and put that poo poo on a resume and send it to a japanese man he will hire the gently caress out of you. In any case, this game is something you can spend years on, and unlike lovely MMOs you can actually apply the skills you learn later on.

Um, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, i have a passionate hatred for MMORPGS or whatever, and I love Go, but I would say that some of the skills learned in MMORPGS (interaction, bargaining / trading / teamwork / leadership) can be translated into life, and I don't think that learning how to kills stones situated in a certain pattern in a corner is a terribly useful life skill.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

tell yourself that when you are surrounded in an alley at night :colbert:

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Squibz posted:

Um, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, i have a passionate hatred for MMORPGS or whatever, and I love Go, but I would say that some of the skills learned in MMORPGS (interaction, bargaining / trading / teamwork / leadership) can be translated into life, and I don't think that learning how to kills stones situated in a certain pattern in a corner is a terribly useful life skill.

I almost fell for this baiting.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Alls I know is Go is hard and brain smashing and it is the only game that I can play for the rest of my life and never beat. Video games and MMO's come and go, but Go, like Chess, will be around for centuries.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peantoo posted:

Alls I know is Go is hard and brain smashing and it is the only game that I can play for the rest of my life and never beat.
Aw, c'mon now, be optimistic. I'm sure you'll win a game eventually!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

so somebody sell me a go book I need something to read on the can

I keep hearing "attack and defense" but that is like book four in a series

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
A lot of people cite this as their favourite book. As I understand it, it's not as advanced as the Elementary Go Series, but it's still good enough to reread until shodan.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Under 15 posted:

so somebody sell me a go book I need something to read on the can

I keep hearing "attack and defense" but that is like book four in a series

What rank are you? In general, here's my view(out of practice 5k) of the elementary series:

Volume One: In the Beginning - Opening Theory Made Easy is infinitely better

Volume Two: 38 Basic Josekis - Personally, I find this unnecessary. You shouldn't worry about knowing joseki early on and by the time you should, you basically know most of this.

Volume Three: Tesuji - Essential. This is an amazing book. Teaches all the main tesujis and makes for a great problem book.

Volume Four: Life and Death - Essential. Also amazing for teaching L/D shapes and a great problem book.

Volume Five: Attack and Defense - Essential. I personally think this is great to do a basic read around 15k, but becomes more useful the stronger you become.

Volume Six: The Endgame - Great book, but tough to "digest." A lot of reading and counting.

JayMax posted:

A lot of people cite this as their favourite book. As I understand it, it's not as advanced as the Elementary Go Series, but it's still good enough to reread until shodan.

Fundamentals of Go is a great book. It's a very enjoyable read. I find it doesn't teach technique as much as mindset.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Fundamentals of Go is a waste of money. Attack and Defense and In the Beginning were the two books that really helped me, and still help me today. Fundamentals is basically a book that tells you stuff you learn on your own by playing games. Have someone review three games for you and you'll gain just as much knowledge as Fundamentals. I don't think anyone in ITGO actually recommends it. If anything, the Elementary Go Series IS the fundamentals of Go.

Oneday for Life fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 11, 2008

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Peantoo posted:

Fundamentals of Go is a waste of money. Attack and Defense and In the Beginning were the two books that really helped me, and still help me today. Fundamentals is basically a book that tells you stuff you learn on your own by playing games. Have someone review three games for you and you'll gain just as much knowledge as Fundamentals. I don't think anyone in ITGO actually recommends it. If anything, the Elementary Go Series IS the fundamentals of Go.

Yeah, Fundamentals isn't really a book you read to improve your game by learning technique. Fundamentals is more for understanding the heuristics of go.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah I probably have about a hundred games on KGS at this point so I'm not gonna worry about that book

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
welp i would recommend lessons in the fundamentals of go but maybe i'm gay

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Finally posting in this thread. I'm WuChou on KGS and I'm not sure what my rank is at the moment. I played at about 3k or so but am kind of rusty. Pretty much always up for a game or to review and answer questions, though, feel free to shoot me a tell on KGS any time.

sensual donkey punching posted:

We can be gay together, Woss. I, too, would recommend Fundamentals.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just registered, I'm JTruant at KGS. I've wanted to play Go for awhile, glad I can start now.

Calling it a night tonight though, work in the morning, but maybe I'll get in a game or two tomorrow. If you could add me to the super secret room that's cool, if not I'll just jump in SA and ask there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WuChou posted:

Finally posting in this thread. I'm WuChou on KGS and I'm not sure what my rank is at the moment. I played at about 3k or so but am kind of rusty. Pretty much always up for a game or to review and answer questions, though, feel free to shoot me a tell on KGS any time.

We can be gay together, Woss. I, too, would recommend Fundamentals.

I used to play Go a lot but as with practically everything I do, I played it way too much for a while and then got bored with it. As a result I have a lot of books about Go that I may or may not have actually read.

Pretend that I put "If I remember correctly" before each mini-review here:

Theory books:
* The second book of Go: Excellent book if you are just starting. This book should be the second book you read, the first being the rules.
* Lessons in the fundamentals: fun to read, but not that useful. Maybe it was a bit complicated for me at the time. In other words, I wouldn't really recommend it, and definitely not for players lower than 10k or something.
* Opening Theory Made Easy: according to a comment I made somewhere else, this is a great book.
* Learn to Play Go series: not very useful for me, because I read most of it in other books already.
* Elementary Go Series: probably very good, but very difficult as well.

Problem books:
* I have more than 10 problem books. I'm not going to go over them, but suffice it to say that problem books are among the most useful books of all. If you are trying to choose between reading a theory book and doing a problem book, you should probably do the problems.

"I'm better than you because I play Go" books:
* Invincible - The Games of Shusaku. I'm kidding a bit, because this book is very good if you are serious about Go: studying pro games is a good way to improve. For me, it was a bit too much. It looks very nice though, and I like owning it.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

sensual donkey punching posted:

you guys are just fags and you know is. J/k wosskun!

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Play Go with goons. I've been getting raped for the past few days but I can't stop playing. It's super addicting and interesting.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Just wanting to say that I'm in the room as Pyrography, and I'm always willing to do absolute-beginner lessons in how to play.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
bee tee dubs, if you join the room and no one is around, don't think that we've all abandoned the game or anything. Sometimes there are zero people there sometimes there are 15. Just hang around for a while and a more experienced player will eventually log and and can help you with some lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbeVigoda
Jun 6, 2001

Abe Vigoda: Still Alive.

GoBob posted:

Volume Five: Attack and Defense - Essential. I personally think this is great to do a basic read around 15k, but becomes more useful the stronger you become.
Is this out of print or something? I've been able to pick up others in the series down at my local Uwajimaya, but they haven't had this one, and amazon only has used copies for ~$40.