Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Argue posted:

(I guess anyone else is free to move. Whoever gets there first.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What are you using to place the stones?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

JayMax posted:

What are you using to place the stones?

MSPaint, gogogo.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It could get interesting when it's time to take stones away. But whatever, do it on a real Go board and take a picture. :w00t:

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

I don't have one of those fancy 9x9 boards. :unsmith:

slorb
May 14, 2002
hope this works
edit: it didn't

slorb fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 6, 2008

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
ok:

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

D4 seems good for black, no? I'd like to see some commentary/analysis from a stronger player, if they don't mind.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

D4 seems good for black, no? I'd like to see some commentary/analysis from a stronger player, if they don't mind.

I would do D2. The lower left black stone is in trouble, and is about to be sealed off, giving up that corner. Black at D4 would let white seal it off at D2. Then there would be no way to save that stone.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
w+r guys. It's over.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
E4, threaten to cut but actually just increase right side influence.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Oops.

Phyzzle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 6, 2008

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7
Well, no one in the SA room wanted to play a beginner, so I went off and lost some games in other rooms.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Phyzzle posted:

Well, I'll try this. I think one of those two lower left black stones can be saved.

Click here for the full 720x960 image.

The bottom right doesn't match up with the previous ones.

quote:

Well, no one in the SA room wanted to play a beginner, so I went off and lost some games in other rooms.

I would have played, but I'm at work. :(

Does anyone know of a good turn-based go server which you can play through email? All the turn-based servers are blocked at my work.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
people idle a great deal in SA, particularly around hours that are not 9pm - 5am EST. better chance of getting teaching games then

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Pillow Face posted:

Does anyone know of a good turn-based go server which you can play through email? All the turn-based servers are blocked at my work.
Facebook has a Go app if thats not blocked.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Nodrog posted:

Facebook has a Go app if thats not blocked.

It is not. Thanks :)

slorb
May 14, 2002

sensual donkey punching posted:

people idle a great deal in SA, particularly around hours that are not 9pm - 5am EST. better chance of getting teaching games then

I just thought I'd emphasise this. The SA channel is really just for idling, say something in the channel though and someone should show up.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Posting ITT. Currently a KGS 19k but I've been sandbagging the hell out of people for the last few days. Also, the games I've lost I've been able to figure out why I've lost them, which is a small victory.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
I posted in the thread they've got in tradgames discussion, but this one seems to be a bit more official. I've been meaning to get more into Go for a while now; I've played approx. 1 game every two months for the last year or so, and that needs to change. I'm on KGS as BaseCase; gonna try to log some time on there this weekend.

Here's a random stupid question that I haven't been able to find an answer for: In game records, does 'B+R' mean that Black won or lost? I know it means the game ended with a resignation, but I'm so new to the game that I can't tell who won just by looking at the ending position. I'm sure it doesn't help that I just grabbed some random pro games to read; those can be pretty hard to understand for someone without much experience. I think I'll hold off reading any more games until I play enough of my own to know what's going on.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

^^^

It means black won. Also, don't worry about playing through games until you're close to single digit kyu. From what I've been told, you don't really worry about studying pro games until dan level.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

studying a pro game isn't very helpful for a new guy because the pros are going to play the most wide-open poo poo they feel like they can get away with. At that level it's almost a game of chicken because the pro who made the move is basically saying "I dare you to let me get away with this you human being"

A lot of times you will see descriptions of corner sequences that have a line like, "this is the common amateur continuation but in professional games this is played." Replaying games to advance through some sort of subconscious osmosis is a good idea if you are already dan-level, but I think the whole arrangement falls apart if you get more than a few ranks away from the material you are replaying. It's just too different from your in-game experience.

basically if you have a kgs account you should come to SA room and dick around, talk to some people who arent a bunch of greybeard faggots or animus, and enjoy yourself enough to get over the initial, brutal learning curve and start playing for real

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BusError posted:

does 'B+R' mean that Black won or lost?
I think it's like, B+5 or B+10 means black won by 5 or 10 points. B+R means black won by resignation... points...

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Wow, this is a pretty hard game to grasp. I started playing a 19x19 game yesterday before I realized that I may as well have been randomly placing every move, so I tried 9x9 which was a little more manageable though I still lost terribly. Hopefully I'll start to get the hang of some basic idea of the game at some point, though I don't think I'll be putting too much effort into it since I'm studying chess a lot at the moment and I don't have time to really get into another game of that magnitude.

I'll get in the SA channel at some point, though.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Just don't give up man. It's tough to grasp, but once you do, it's probably one of the most rewarding games you'll ever play. You'll never be the best and there will always be a challenge out there, but you'll be better than a lot and can puff out your chest when you get a single digit kyu rank.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Posting to say Go is pro-click and I want some newbies to come around so I'm not the lowest-ranked guy in the channel

Remember, you have to play 100 games before you start to have any idea what's going on, so go through them quick!

Also, would there be any interest in getting an actual play-by-post 19x19 going between two strong players? It might make for interesting thread material.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

maybe it would be better to just play out a game then post it in commented sections like a go book

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I like to play go when I'm bored. Make sure you don't play it when depressed or you will lose. This game depends greatly on your state of mind.

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Let's play a game Sensual Donkey Punching: 16-17?, KOMOKU!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
D16, edit hte graphic 4 me

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
16-3 Hikaru! Komoku!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
D4

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
OK I will enclose the corner with 17-17

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
are we allowed to comment on this or what

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Sure. W will typically approach the bottom right corner somehow next move, or maybe Woss will be a human being and do one of his side extensions. Feel free to ask anything :p

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
At around 3k to 4k should I be learning joseki? Players my strength and weaker don't really know many but it seems like the 1k+ players tend to know quite a handful.

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Well, personally I only started studying joseki around the 1d level, but it shouldn't hurt to start. I'm sure you're aware of some results just from playing. Be careful not to just memorize combinations of moves, and try to understand why the moves are played in the order they are, and what each move accomplishes. I believe a complete understanding of joseki would allow someone to play the move that best fits their global strategy and provides an even result of influence/territory in the corner.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
I've been meaning to get into this game so I've just signed up on KGS as "mardraum". Where's the best material online to help get me started? I've taken a little look around at http://senseis.xmp.net but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
http://playgo.to/interactive/