Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Cure for Optimism posted:

I've been meaning to get into this game so I've just signed up on KGS as "mardraum". Where's the best material online to help get me started? I've taken a little look around at http://senseis.xmp.net but that's about it.

Come into the SA channel as well and people can run through teaching games with you to answer any specific questions.

Otherwise just go through the tutorial and then start playing 20k+ players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Q5 nigga, let play some boring poo poo

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
OK, here are the next 4 moves:

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
And the next 12...

I will play c6 next Woss!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
in the interests of an interesting game, i'll play c9

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Let's try f17

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
c14, easy

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
Here we GO:

It seems we have left the realm of pro play as you put it

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
in the unlikely event anyone is trying to follow along, we played a popular modern opening variation, which ended after the long sequence on the right side. this left black with the initiative, which he took to play a nonstandard and probably subpar approach move. i replied with an unusual pincer which has recently gained popularity, and now we are very much on our own in this game. also i am still thinking about my next move

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
I'm following it my good sirs!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
F4 BITCH

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
g4 wossname

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
extend to f5

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
the vital point?? C3

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
C4

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You guys may try to make Go exciting but clearly can't come anywhere close to Hikaru No Go.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
look im sorry neither of us are gay rear end ghosts. were doing the best we can. howard play a move

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
b4 my favourite :3

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Not to interrupt this game but I'd like to have some GO BOOK CHAT. I am thinking of maybe picking up some books during christmas sales and I am wondering what I should get. I am a 9k on KGS and I own Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners, and I've also read the Learn to Play Go books with their awesome cover artwork. I'm feeling like it's about time to start studying books that cover specific areas of the game, rather than general books, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not too attracted to Tsumego books at this point, since I can find a ton of those online and the full text of several old books in PDF.

I'm looking at this series, starting with the linked book. Has anyone read these? I'm not particularly worried about them being under my level, but are they any good?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Urban Renewal posted:

Not to interrupt this game but I'd like to have some GO BOOK CHAT. I am thinking of maybe picking up some books during christmas sales and I am wondering what I should get. I am a 9k on KGS and I own Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners, and I've also read the Learn to Play Go books with their awesome cover artwork. I'm feeling like it's about time to start studying books that cover specific areas of the game, rather than general books, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not too attracted to Tsumego books at this point, since I can find a ton of those online and the full text of several old books in PDF.

I'm looking at this series, starting with the linked book. Has anyone read these? I'm not particularly worried about them being under my level, but are they any good?
The Elementary Go Series books are excellent, in my opinion. I'd say Tesuji, Life and Death, and especially Attack and Defense are staples (my copy of A&D is literally falling apart from use). In the Beginning is pretty good, too. I highly recommend the series, except maybe 38 Basic Joseki, it's rather dated. It's an okay way to read about how to study joseki when you get to that point but it's age definitely shows.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Exactly what WuChou said, the elementary series is great and perfect for you as a 9k, but do not buy 38 Basic Joseki. 38 Basic Joseki is the worst go book ever written. Attack and Defense is probably the "best" out of the series, tesuji and life & death are both pretty good problem books, In The Beginning is a pretty decent opening book, and The Endgame is a decent mix of theory, counting, and problems.

The direction of play is interesting, some people swear by it, I know sensual donkey punching does.

Then you could always get problem books, joseki books, etc. The Get Strong series is good, so are the 1001, 501, etc opening/l&d/whatever problems. Ishida's joseki dictionaries are considered the best for learning joseki, although apparently they're a little bit dated now, but still a good place to start. I'm getting two of them for Christmas I think since joseki knowledge is a big weakness in my go.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
yeah I sort of want to study some joseki cause the only one I know is the 3-3 invasion and I still gently caress that one up

so a book that combines the basic idea of implementing and learning from joseki as well as explanations of some common ones would be cool

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
the ishida dictionary of basic joseki are the books i value the most. even if you find it intimidating to study at first, you can count on them being a very solid investment. attack & defense is the key book for go theory.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
Tesuji is a great book for practicing some reading and learning tactical skills but you need attack and defense and probably some other books to learn any strategy.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
bumping thread cause I got an awesome lesson in the room today the room owns go owns

also does anyone know where to get like big magnetic teaching boards for relatively cheap? Something I could put up on a wall

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I've played go on yahoo for the last couple years, but not often and I'm no expert. I know the basics and have developed my own strategies, but I've never studied the game (though I love it from what little I've played). I'd like to play more, and I just joined the SA room. I've followed this thread off and on, but haven't posted in it yet.

One problem is, I play while I'm at work, which means timed games don't really work to well for me (my job involves helping anyone that comes up to the desk, and sometimes there's hours without anything to do - but sometimes I get tied up for half an hour). If anyone's interested in a more relaxed game over the course of a few hours, I'm game.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
am I an idiot or is it impossible to find the 'register' page on the KGS website?

edit - ah, you do it in the applet. How weird.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
G3

Howard
Jun 20, 2005

here we go. moves 5 and 7 by white are known as a driving tesuji, forcing b to descend to take territory/whatever. i'm not sure how i feel about my decision to play 2 in response to 1

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
B5

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
j16

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
M5

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
l4

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
M4

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Howard posted:

here we go. moves 5 and 7 by white are known as a driving tesuji, forcing b to descend to take territory/whatever. i'm not sure how i feel about my decision to play 2 in response to 1
I just looked up tesuji on youtube, and was not happy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWM4RH1F_Y

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
m3

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
L3 and sweet jesus that youtube man is horrible

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Holy poo poo, I feel like that kid's voice and personality cannot be real. I guess movie stereotypes come from somewhere, but god drat that has to be the nerdiest kid I've ever heard.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I was talking with one of my comp sci friends at college, who also happens to be president of my campus's chess / go club. He mentioned that there had recently been a new go AI released, which played at something like six dan level? I was pretty shocked, because previously, I know that the best AIs were still about 4-6k, and I couldn't figure out how such a dramatic jump had been made. He said that nobody had really approached the problem of computer program playing go for several years, and that computational power had made dramatic jumps since the last time.

I haven't been able to find anything about this near-professional level AI online; the closest I saw was a mention to MoGo, which was rated at around 2-3 dan back in August 08. Is my friend crazy or do people here know about this program as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Mogo is the best, as it stands it plays around 1 kyu level on kgs. If you linked it up to a large enough supercomputer (think hundreds of cores) you might get it up to 1 or 2 dan. But just as all other computer players, it has certain weak points that a human can learn to exploit over the course of a few games. So computer AI is nowhere near ready to dominate human players.