Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Lyon posted:

"Then Mao, much like a play at 3-3 against a star point, invaded behind enemy lines." :jerkbag:

"seeing that his position offered little scope for development, Mao wisely chose to seek profit in the corner." :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go will never work as an analogy to real war because white starts with a disadvantage

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Urban Renewal posted:

go will never work as an analogy to real war because white starts with a disadvantage

No, it's okay; the defending side in a war gets 6.5 points komi.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

minute posted:

No, it's okay; the defending side in a war gets 6.5 points komi.

= revisionist historians

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
Lucky for the americans, Patton knew the correct tesuji and was able to place his tanks correctly.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Gimpy Joe posted:

Lucky for the americans, Patton knew the correct tesuji and was able to place his tanks correctly.

It's a good thing our infantry were able to encircle two empty tracts of land at Normandy. After that, our battalion was pretty much indestructible.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
It's unfortunate Israel won't play against Palestine with the proper handicap.

The Pettifogger
May 11, 2007
I haven't played in a while and im looking to get back into it. I used to play a lot in tournaments and i was about 10k when i stopped.Does anyone else play in AGA tournaments or do people mainly just play online?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Mostly online. I know a bunch of the people here play in clubs and some have been to the US Go Congress but I don't think anyone is super active in the AGA or the CGA for that matter, we have a lot of Canadians unfortunately.

I've never participated in an actual tournament or anything, but I helped start a club at Penn State and have played at the Philadelphia Baduk Association which is an old Korean guy hang out near Philly.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'd love to go to any actual AGA events but there's never anything near me. I'm starting a club at school though that may eventually get AGA-certified if it seems to keep up momentum.

Xif
Sep 21, 2003
Sorry to be late to the thread. I am also Xif on KGS and I am a 1 kyu AGA.

I have been to a couple of AGA tournaments. They are a good place to meet some interesting people and get some advice about your games and a lot of fun. I would suggest playing some longer games before going as you do get a lot of time compared to online.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Foggy posted:

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Some of the stuff in that book was just wacky.

Donald Rumsfeld's ideal of "network centric warfare" actually bears a resemblance to how you might interpret go as a military strategy (a minimal number of fast moving troops using superior communications to surround and annihilate opponents).

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Xif posted:

Sorry to be late to the thread. I am also Xif on KGS and I am a 1 kyu AGA.

I have been to a couple of AGA tournaments. They are a good place to meet some interesting people and get some advice about your games and a lot of fun. I would suggest playing some longer games before going as you do get a lot of time compared to online.

What's the standard? I generally play with 30 minute main times online.

Xif
Sep 21, 2003

Urban Renewal posted:

What's the standard? I generally play with 30 minute main times online.

As far as I know there is no real standard as I have played with different limits on those annoying ING clocks. Usually they play 3 games in one day. I think commonly is 45 minutes per person then 60 sec a move afterward. I have also played with one hour per person absolute time.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
My first and last ranking matches were quite a few years ago and according to that I'm around 25-kyu. I've only recently gotten back in playing Go by getting a few friends into it. :v:

None of them has played more than 10 matches on the 9x9 board, and all but one of them can beat me when given a four stone handicap. I'll need to read up on the komi stuff, as I want to get them ranked in official matches.

How soon should I move them on to the 13x13 board? :3:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Kerris posted:

My first and last ranking matches were quite a few years ago and according to that I'm around 25-kyu. I've only recently gotten back in playing Go by getting a few friends into it. :v:

None of them has played more than 10 matches on the 9x9 board, and all but one of them can beat me when given a four stone handicap. I'll need to read up on the komi stuff, as I want to get them ranked in official matches.

How soon should I move them on to the 13x13 board? :3:

Just play the 19x19 boards. 9x9 is so different from standard go it is practically its own game, and the only reason it gets used for teaching purposes is because the games are shorter and it tries an experienced person's patience to play someone who has no idea what's going on for that long. To teach someone the basic mechanics of the game, 9x9 is a lot more convenient. To actually learn how to *play* go, you're going to have to get on the 19x19 because if you try to learn by playing only 9x9 (totally unforgiving, compared to 19x19) you are going to bash your brains out in frustration. The learning curve is bad enough to begin with.

EDIT: this x10 for playing online, since only 19x19 is ranked and only faggots play unranked games with strangers. Any unranked game you play with a stranger is guaranteed to be worthless and lovely and frustrating, and being ranked dramatically improves the quality of the games you get

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 23, 2009

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah 9x9 games are fine for teaching the rules and playing quick games until the person you're teaching has a decent understanding. After that 9x9 is fun for quick very violent fighting games but not much else.

9x9 is nothing like 19x19 except in a localized tactical fight sense, you don't get any of the full board dynamic.

13x13 is a little closer, but still not really worth using to teach for 19x19 because the person should already know the rules from you're 9x9 and while there is more a full board dynamic to 13x13 it's not the same and you might as well just transition immediately.

Just jump right in to the large board and learn from getting destroyed by people who are better than you. Lose your first 100 games as fast as you can or whatever that stupid proverb is.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I've been looking at gtl game reviews recently, using glGo to view the sgf files (which is the best program I've found for that purpose). A couple questions, though - first, would it be more useful to read reviews of double-digit kyu players (i.e., players about my level, to see how the reviewers correct bad play) or dan players (to see what good play looks like)? I've looked at both and I've mostly found the lower-level reviews more useful but I want to avoid learning bad habits. Second, are there any reviewers on there that people think are particularly good? Some are lazy (like not using the sgf tools to illustrate possible moves) and some are vague (at least to a low-level player like me), but most of them are pretty good, and I was wondering if anybody either reviewed on there or knew somebody who was good at it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I've been looking at gtl game reviews recently, using glGo to view the sgf files (which is the best program I've found for that purpose). A couple questions, though - first, would it be more useful to read reviews of double-digit kyu players (i.e., players about my level, to see how the reviewers correct bad play) or dan players (to see what good play looks like)? I've looked at both and I've mostly found the lower-level reviews more useful but I want to avoid learning bad habits. Second, are there any reviewers on there that people think are particularly good? Some are lazy (like not using the sgf tools to illustrate possible moves) and some are vague (at least to a low-level player like me), but most of them are pretty good, and I was wondering if anybody either reviewed on there or knew somebody who was good at it.

If you review your games with other goons you will get advice from someone who wants to help you personally and make friends, thereby increasing your desire to play and get reviews

a vicious cycle

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I've been playing GNU Go on this great website on a 9x9 board just to try to get better at close fighting and life & death (goproblems.com is okay but I find it helpful to have more context and a semi-realistic set of mvoes that led me into the L&D situation). However I cannot for the life of me beat it without giving myself a few handicap stones. Should I just keep at it until I can somewhat consistently keep it from killing my stones over and over? Is that helpful at all? I'd like to play more games on KGS but when I get demolished by 100 points because I'm incompetent at corner fights I feel like I need to work with a computer program that won't mock me.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Foggy posted:

I've been playing GNU Go on this great website on a 9x9 board just to try to get better at close fighting and life & death (goproblems.com is okay but I find it helpful to have more context and a semi-realistic set of mvoes that led me into the L&D situation). However I cannot for the life of me beat it without giving myself a few handicap stones. Should I just keep at it until I can somewhat consistently keep it from killing my stones over and over? Is that helpful at all? I'd like to play more games on KGS but when I get demolished by 100 points because I'm incompetent at corner fights I feel like I need to work with a computer program that won't mock me.

I'm pretty new myself and I like playing with programs like that when I don't have enough time to play a real game, or I'm at work and can't play a real game. However, it would be best if you just kept playing a lot of games on KGS even if you get demolished. It happens to me all the time. But you'll learn a lot more by fighting over and over and see what works and what doesn't. Also ask people to review with you as much as possible. I've already learned a lot because of reviewing.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Foggy posted:

Really, come play on KGS with us anyways. Getting demolished (or demolishing other starters) is unfortunately the name of the game at the beginner stages. Games are going to be probably 50+ swings for a while until you learn to judge the state of you and your opponents' situations better. We'll also be happy to tailor advice to you, since we can watch you play over time and see if there's anything that is stumping you consistently. If you want to practice with that, that's fine, but I just played a few rounds with it odds are good it's going to outread you on that small board for quite a while. We idle a lot but most people are quite happy to help if you have questions about a situation or game, so give us a yell.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

WuChou posted:

Really, come play on KGS with us anyways. Getting demolished (or demolishing other starters) is unfortunately the name of the game at the beginner stages. Games are going to be probably 50+ swings for a while until you learn to judge the state of you and your opponents' situations better. We'll also be happy to tailor advice to you, since we can watch you play over time and see if there's anything that is stumping you consistently. If you want to practice with that, that's fine, but I just played a few rounds with it odds are good it's going to outread you on that small board for quite a while. We idle a lot but most people are quite happy to help if you have questions about a situation or game, so give us a yell.

Alright. The other reason I like Gnu Go is because I don't have a lot of big blocks of unbroken time where I can sit down and spend a half hour playing a 19x19 game and then another half hour reviewing it. If I play very conservatively I can usually pull off a corner group (I know the last move was extraneous) but whenever I try anything like an attack I always get punished, which is a little repetitive.

The Pettifogger
May 11, 2007

minute posted:

It's a good thing our infantry were able to encircle two empty tracts of land at Normandy. After that, our battalion was pretty much indestructible.

Also, France sucks at joseki.

The Pettifogger fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 28, 2009

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

The Pettifogger posted:

Also, France sucks at joseki.

Perhaps the strongest parallel between Go and modern warfare is that the French seem to be loving terrible at both

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
So lately I've been so overcome with my love of Go that I can't help but create Go art to try to express the beauty of the game

Click here for the full 768x512 image.

I made this one to celebrate ITGO, the forums KGS room and surrogate home to us all. ITGO: Gay Baby Diaper Hangout for life

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Foggy posted:

Alright. The other reason I like Gnu Go is because I don't have a lot of big blocks of unbroken time where I can sit down and spend a half hour playing a 19x19 game and then another half hour reviewing it. If I play very conservatively I can usually pull off a corner group (I know the last move was extraneous) but whenever I try anything like an attack I always get punished, which is a little repetitive.

The problem with Gnu Go is that you will eventually find out "tricks" to beating it. The programming can be exploited to a pretty decent extent or at least it could be in the past. This will lead you learning improper technique. When you're playing a person on a 9x9 they won't tenuki randomly from a vital spot or play some weird move that you can ignore.

You'll get good at beating Gnu Go but not really get good at go. This holds true at higher levels anyway, for a beginner Gnu Go might not be all bad.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
ITGO is the greatest go community on the internet.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If you enjoy terrible jokes and whiney men-children then I have to agree.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Lyon posted:

If you enjoy terrible jokes and whiney men-children then I have to agree.

I love anime where does this place me

Foggy
May 17, 2004

"sorry I have to go" *resigns*

Nice try. :c00l:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Since this topic and the ITGO community are dedicated to providing only the most stimulating, thoughtful Go discussion available anywhere, we have present a debate that is currently raging on KGS: Textured or Untextured?

Kiseido lets you choose the appearance of your go board from the following two options. The first is the default, textured mode, in which your board and stones look like a cheap imitation of an actual board. This is the preferred setting of scrubs and those who don't know any better. It looks like this:

Click here for the full 694x677 image.

The alternative is untextured mode, in which you can capture the pure soul of the go stones for the ultimate playing experience:

Click here for the full 694x677 image.

The choice is clear. Untextured is the choice of pros everywhere.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Textured would be fine if it was brighter and if the white stones didn't all look like AT&T logos.

The eidogo.com look is probably my favorite though

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Wow, I was going to say textured until I realized just how dull the colors are in textured.

Untextured/

The Pettifogger
May 11, 2007
i had no idea there was an option on appearance. untextured is much better!

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

I had no idea there was a setting either. As a mid-teen kyu, I have to go with textured.

Edit: Eh, wait. The untextured is just so clean, so minimalistic, so essential. Now I don't know what to think. Have I been living a lie? I need some time alone now. Excuse me, guys.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 16, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I think it can be agreed that once you discover the untextured you can't go back (I too just learned about it and can no longer play on the textured boards).

Also today is my one month anniversary on Itgo. Thank you all for helping me jump from 22kyu to 17kyu over that month (Hopefully I'll reach 16kyu this week [I'm so close!]).

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

I think it can be agreed that once you discover the untextured you can't go back (I too just learned about it and can no longer play on the textured boards).

Also today is my one month anniversary on Itgo. Thank you all for helping me jump from 22kyu to 17kyu over that month (Hopefully I'll reach 16kyu this week [I'm so close!]).

blendy officially promoted to 16k via rank drift at the daily update :golfclap:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Heres one that the higher-ranked players will probably spot right away:

I'm black and white has just passed. As it stands, I lose by two points, but I spotted a remaining move that I should have seen earlier and which made my opponent resign in rage. Can you spot the move? Great fun for friends and family!

spoil your answer so everyone can play please thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
f10 :firstpost: