Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peantoo posted:

Hahaha, bojo. I can't believe you're making an appearance now. The SA room is vacant, but you're more than welcome to the new room man.
What's the new room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gimpy Joe posted:

I'm sorry
What did you do? :mad:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peantoo posted:

This is why we don't hang out in there anymore. Quit chatting at all in SA!
Goons have no self-restraint.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Peantoo posted:

Alls I know is Go is hard and brain smashing and it is the only game that I can play for the rest of my life and never beat.
Aw, c'mon now, be optimistic. I'm sure you'll win a game eventually!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brut posted:

Yeah I was mostly just trying to get past my peak tiredness due to not wanting to fall asleep, I just found the french thing amusing, speaking of which it gave me the (rating?) "3k?", what does this mean, because now everyone is declining my challenges, time to actually read about the game now though, apparently it is not as simple as Reversi.
There's an option to hide your rank in your profile settings on KGS. You may find it helpful in the interim.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GoBob posted:

I tried that once. Unless your rank is well known, most people will refuse to play you. Your best best is probably to either play goons around your rank(ranked games) or play a rank bot until your rank stabilizes.
I tried it as well as a newbie, and had no problem getting games.

Maybe you smell bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BusError posted:

does 'B+R' mean that Black won or lost?
I think it's like, B+5 or B+10 means black won by 5 or 10 points. B+R means black won by resignation... points...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's ITGO?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Under 15 posted:

Really the problem with a floor-goban-as-decor is that floor boards tend to be a lot smaller than you would think they would be, but too large to go anywhere that it would be out of danger as being used as a table with poo poo all over it :shobon:
I want a footstool-slash-goban. I don't care if it's soft and doesn't make the clicky-sound when you lay down stones, I just like multipurpose stuff.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Black could have made better use of his handicap, I think.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tarezax posted:

What they said. Let's compare with chess and checkers. Chess has 20 possibilities for the first move (2 moves possible for each pawn and the knights). Checkers has even fewer, with only 7 possibilities for the first move.

On the first move in Go, you have 361 possible positions to place a stone. Now multiply that for each succeeding move, and you quickly see why a total beginner has zero chance of beating anyone with experience.
You'll also see you should be playing with this person on a smaller board.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Under 15 posted:

Most of the people in itgo are also in SA, but not all, so what you saw was probably pretty representative of that time of day

KGS is not exactly crawling with goons :smith:
Sorry, I don't like playing Go online; it's so impersonal. :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

It's impersonal as hell and full of people going like "lol epic fail" in your games but the interaction with the ITGO dudes makes up for it.
ITGO dudes swear too much. :mad:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Athanos posted:

gently caress you.

Seriously though, that is a pretty poor reason not to come to ITGO.
Well, sometimes the language isn't appropriate to everyone in the room with me, and Go games attract curiosity. If I'm reading a profanity-laden rant on lemonparty.org I can just tab to something else if kids wander in, but if I'm playing a game that would be rude.

But that's just me, most people probably don't have that problem. And I'm by myself right now so gently caress poo poo fuckyfuck.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PaulC posted:

the ones that are literally just polished tree stumps with a grid on top
Do you have a link? I want to find it but I can't read Koreander.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If it helps, I occasionally am interested in Go and I had to bookmark this thread because I can never remember where it lives.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is Lee Sedol the last person who will ever win a game against AlphaGo?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Go computers surpassed me about five years ago, I'm over it already.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there a decent go set for small children? I'm thinking of a go equivalent to the Cracker Barrel oversized checkers rug.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

There's those small magnetic travelling boards but if it's for children like 5 then they're probably going to eat the pieces.

Yeah, that's basically the opposite of what I want, for that reason.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

totino boy posted:

who wants to talk about go?

i like to put stone on the 3 4 point :D

I never win against the 3-4 point so when people play there I flip the table.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think games like Go arguably get less fun past a certain point in skill level. There's a sort of Peter Principle where you can work at improving until it becomes a job and you hate it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How do people teach Go to would-be casual players? I read somewhere that 9x9 games are the standard entry point, but I feel like 13x13 would be more like "real" Go and therefore more interesting without being too complex/long. I'm trying to lure people in without either boring or overwhelming them.

If it matters, I myself am fairly poo poo at Go.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Borachon posted:

I like teaching on 9x9 and 13x13, because so much of the early learning process are tactics, scoring, and basics of how stones interact. 9x9 and 13x13 let them do more of that.

Is there a good 9x9/13x13 board available on Amazon (that I could throw in with another order for free shipping)?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I figured I'd play the capture game a few times to showcase the basics, and then demonstrate a small living corner black group surrounded by white and explain why the black group has territory and points, while White's "territory" can be invaded and isn't yet real territory. Then just start playing handicap 13x13 (with a couple teaching interruptions) until one of our kids cries and we have to stop.

Maybe I should get a 19x19/13x13 board after all.

Edit: would be nice to have a small board for work, though.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 1, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dirby posted:

How do you play 500 games and only make it to 13k?

Maybe they played them all in the same week?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

why do people go on servers and purposefully get their rank low just so they can challenge people that are much, much lower ranked than them without handicaps? Like...why would you do that. It has happened to me 3 times today. It's incredibly obvious when people do this, and it's really frustrating because I hate having my rating tanked like that. Oh well, I guess people will be dicks about literally any game, even go.

How do you know it's on purpose? Maybe they just play drunk a lot.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
A snarky false statement on Facebook? Get out of town!

Is there a goon OGS ladder?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

A human being will never defeat alphago again because Google Team dismantled and put it out of service.

Humans win again. :smug:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What about toroidal Go, is that any good?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

Let me know how it goes! I just play capture go with my toddler a little until she starts making her own stories, usually we fill the whole 9x9. I'm not a stickler on the rules, I figure at that age there's no wrong way to play.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Here's Quinn from SUSD explaining Go and dressing as an anime character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBjN8empIs

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's been going pretty well.

I try and lose most games and I'm having to remind her a bit less about obvious capture opportunities. She's generally pretty eager to play, although she doesn't request it unprompted like she would with other card or board games.

Thanks for reminding me I need to play with mine again. I taught her how to make a lady bug out of paper plates and now she's making paper plate lady bugs like her life depends on it, so maybe it will distract her. I guess we all need a way to cope with the pandemic.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
As a beginner should I play against humans, or will I develop bad habits for when I play real games against bots?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

What kind of records exist for professional games over time? Or, more specifically, has anyone tried to train AI to emulate specific pros. Not that it matters much beyond being an interesting hypothetical.

Now I really want to play go against dead people.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Re: playing with kids
I showed my 4 yr old a 9x9 and just play capture stone go and she was into it. Then I made it a puzzle by just doing simple problems. Just super basic stuff

The most important thing is she wins every time.

Very same. I'm just glad I finally have an opponent of my skill level.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CaptainEO posted:

For mobile, BadukPop is growing fast (I’m biased though - I am the lead developer :) ). We don’t have automatic 19x19 match-making yet, but you can use automatch for 9x9, and invite the opponent to set up a correspondence 19x19 game if you want to play big-board.

Not compatible with my G5. :argh::mods:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CaptainEO posted:

Aw, shoot, sorry. Does it not install at all? Or installs and then renders the Go board as all back or something?

We spend literally >50% of our dev time dealing with compatibility issues on various Android devices, so it’s not too unusual, especially for older devices.

I'm just taking the Play store's word for it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kid always wants to play Uno instead. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I *was* heavily handicapped 😅

With super beginners you have to pull punches or you're just gobbling up all their handicap stones and they feel like poo poo.