Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Just posting to mention that the SA guys are really cool about reviewing your games even if you suck.

The KGS client is great for teaching and learning. It's really well done. I've never seen anything like it for Chess.

JayMax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
A lot of people cite this as their favourite book. As I understand it, it's not as advanced as the Elementary Go Series, but it's still good enough to reread until shodan.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Brut posted:

So I registered on the site on the OP, got in to some game (didn't actually even read the rules yet, figured I'd pick it up as I go along) and some guy kept talking in french and I didn't answer since I don't know french and he left and I won, does that mean I am really awesome at go?

Maybe you were playing a game in the Salle Française.

I definitely recommend learning about the game on smaller boards before going for the 19x19.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What are you using to place the stones?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
It's unfortunate Israel won't play against Palestine with the proper handicap.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Guys I need to come out and tell you something. I'm so sorry.

I started playing chess again.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I stopped playing about a year ago and it looks like my account got erased. I'm bummed. :(

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

QPZIL posted:

I really wish there was a good multiplayer Go app for android.

Actually, upon researching just now, KGS has an official app, but it's $15, gently caress :cry:

You do get a subscription to KGS+ for a certain time along with it, though. It's not bad value, though I'm not sure I'd like to play go on a tiny screen.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Ugh, look at me, I'm playing go again.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

giogadi posted:

Lemme just say that watching this game unfold and hearing your thoughts and strategies play out is terribly exciting. Just want y'all to know I really appreciate it! It'd be fantastic if this became a frequent occurrence in this thread.

Yeah, this is really interesting.

Also, sorry I haven't been playing much lately, I feel like I'm letting lovely down!

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

lemonslol posted:

I recently started playing Go, and I happened to mention it to a guy I just met at my university. He wants to start a Go club, but he also doesn't know much about Go ( Like I question if he has ever played a full game), but he offered to buy all the boards and stones etc. Is this a bad idea, as it will end up a club of bads teaching bads bad ways to play Go?

I'm pretty sure this guy wants to murder you.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

goodness posted:

This sounds like something cool, but all it understand since starting yesterday is "self-Atari". Did she somehow kill herself?

Back up one turn on that viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
The AlphaGo documentary is now on Netflix. Coming from a bad/very casual player, I thought it was a really enjoyable watch.