Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

GoBob posted:

Just order it directly from Kiseido(http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm). $18

I did, I just thought it was interesting that they're selling copies for $200+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Azazel posted:

I had an original copy of that. Lent it out to friends, pages got torn out from the poor binding, and all I can remember is wanting that entire book back because I am 100% positive it explained everything I am currently lacking.

Was it the Ishi press or Kiseido printing? I'm wondering if the Ishi press is any different. I'm guessing not.

Edit for stupidity: I'm guessing by original you mean Ishi. Have you seen a Kiseido copy? If so have you noticed differences?

Blendy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 12, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I was doing some reseach on Ishi Press this morning (looking up their publishing list and what not) and I'm now kind of confused about Ishi and Kiseido. In particular I can't find any information on when Ishi stopped printing (though they released a few books in 2007 under the Ishi label, so maybe they are still publishing?). Also I can't find any information why Richard Bozulich left Ishi and founded Kiseido. Invincible was printed first by Ishi and then by Kiseido but according to the info I found Kiseido printed it while Ishi was still in business!?

:confused:

Blendy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 12, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan is your goban slotted together? The photos kind of make it look like 2 parts slotted together (which I've seen but I can't tell if this one is or if the photo is just weird). Also is that a carrying case in the background? If so how is it?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

I feel awkward carrying it anywhere public for fear of people thinking I'll whip out a machine gun or something. :(

Hahahaha awesome. Though I've seen pictures and the carrying cases do look very much like something you'd carry a gun around in. The slotted boards seemed kind of cool, but there weren't any on 'layaway' so I got the standard. Does the line down the middle ever cause problems/annoy you?

Also Urban is pyro.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 14, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Buffis posted:

a friend that he really wants to start playing go.

I wish. Though I did get my roommate into backgammon. Kind of.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah all the damages that reduce the prices at ymi are laughable. That's why I got my board. I recommend just getting a set of the $10 synthetic stones they have on ymi, see the photos of my stuff. I know people don't think they are pretty and they're not worthy of a nice board, but I think they're decent. And I kind of like the look, plust for $10 you can't argue too much. They are flat on one side which I like.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Zeiros I agree with You are Jennifer, while there are books for beginners they are unlikely going to spare you (or teach you as much) as losing a lot. Hard. That being said I recommend the first three Janice Kim books, and for this I'll be mocked by all the other people here. The books are pretty awful, I agree. But I read the first three when I didn't have anyone to play and hadn't found this thread yet. They were easy to understand and got me to about 19k on KGS, after that they and Janice Kim are worthless. But once you push through that there are better books you'll be more capable of understanding. Still just playing a ton of games is the best way to learn as a young'en.

qxan where did you buy your board from that it was $100 off? Slotted boards are only like $67 on YMI when they're not made too small/chipped/cracked/or whatever.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Central to Go is the theme that once you think you have figured out what is going on and what to focus on and improve, you find out what a chump you are and have to start all over again.

11k :bang:
got to make sdk :bang:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

Come on, rival. What are you waiting for? :c00l:

The ghost of shusaku to become my buddy :ghost:

Or until fundamentals sinks into my head and a&d gets here. :v:

Don't forget you started a long time before I did. I'm catching up quickly. :c00l:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

9x9 is good to learn about basic shape and how to fight. you know that urban :colbert:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So I'm wanting to add to my go library and I'm thinking about a book of life and death problems. Anyone got suggestions for something that could take me from 11k to SDK? I was looking at either:

Graded Go Problems for Beginners, Vol. 3

or

Mastering the Basics Series Volume Two: 1001 Life-and-Death Problems

Anyone tried either of these?

Other suggestions welcome. I don't remember where I heard it but I heard The Elementary Go Series Volume Four: Life and Death book kind of sucks.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

I played from July to September and now May. Nice try. :downsowned:

Useful information Edit: I heard the Life and Death book from Elementary Go stinks too.

It's still been part of your life longer than mine! :smug:

Anyway I though you had the whole elementary series. Or was that someone else that said that?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Ironis I totally get your point. I'm currently leaning towards getting Get Strong at Life and Death by Richard Bozulich, which seems to be the best (currently in print) book that strikes a balance of teaching about life and death and giving problems to solve. I mean essentially all books I get on go well (hopefully) be less and less useful as I master their concepts. I guess I'm not totally concerned if a problem book became useless because in the case of Grade Go Problems for Beginners Vol 3 it has problems up to the 5k level (which will take me a long time to reach), and frankly problems at my current level that I can solve with some thought I often forget how to solve quickly the next time I look at it. So having the book would give me a way to review them daily and stress test my brain's reading ability. That being said I could see why people don't buy problem books.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I always have a hard time finding the answers (as in the provided answers) to these collections.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

books look cooler and your bookshelf, which is the only reason I ever buy anything (ask about my james joyce collection)

You have a James Joyce collection? Do tell us more! Also what go books you got on those shelves?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Quad posted:

I'm (sorta) helping found a new club!!!!
Any goons around the Downers Grove, IL, area... there's a Barnes & Noble on W. 75th St., and a guy who wants to start a Wednesday night Go club. If you can make it, it'd be AWESOME.

I'll be moving into Chicago sometime in the next 2 months, most likely Bucktown or Logan Sq., so it would be a commute to make it but I'd like to try sometime. I'll be joining the Lakeview club so if you're in Chicago on a Tuesday.

Also I have a set so anyone in Chicago that would want to meet up on a day other than Tuesday I'm up for it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

The closest club I can find to myself is in the middle of gently caress yourself no where an hour out from where I live. Two old guys run it. It is pretty sad if I'm considering going. I'm going to get shot.

They don't want to shoot you. they want you to be their boyfriend.

:)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Things that make me jealous

That's a drat nice looking floor board. My compliments to you and your dad.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 26, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Just bought Get strong at life and death, and Opening theory made easy. Waiting for those to come.

Also got Invincible on loan from the univ. of Rochester. I love libraries.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I remember a while ago we were talking about go comic strips and I couldn't remember the really awful ones I had read or where I had found them. Well today I found them again...

https://tigersmouth.org/viewpage.php?page_id=2

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

You are Jennifer posted:

Wow, those comics are so bad they encrypt every page with SLL so your dirty little secret that you like tigersmouth.org will stay safe.

I wonder who is a fan of them.

I just got back from the KU campus because I had to go to the bank that's in the union. While I was up there I figured I'd check the East Asian Library since I knew they had some go books. Turns out they have a lot (well a shelf) of go books, mostly Chinese volumes. However I found a Japanese tsumego book I could understand a little and sat there for a bit solving some of them. If I wasn't moving soon I'd buy a card for the library.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

we should roll legit and start a goon-run go server

I'll make the banner

How deep we be rolling these days? 8 deep? 9 deep?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Any of you in Philly? Me and a couple buddies play on our lunchbreak.

I think qxan is.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Surf Rock keep on keeping on. The first couple of 19x19s will be crazy but there is a flow to it and you'll get the feel of that.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

You are Jennifer posted:

Wow, 7dan admin vs 7dan amateur, make sure to tell us how the game goes if it ever goes down. I'm always interested in how KGS's best stack up against the real world.

Well according to some data collection:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison

I'm 11kish on KGS so I'd be 11k in Japan and 12k to the AGA, but in Korea I would be 16k D:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Blendy, who are you on kgs? I'm also ~11k.

I'm Blendy here and on KGS as well. What's your KGS username?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

PillowFace. Heh.

Ha well aren't we a pair of chuckleheads.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Plastic Snake posted:

Can't believe I just found this thread! Been playing go for a little while but not enough online to know what my rank is. Noticed that the posts at the end are pretty recent but how active is the community still?

It's pretty active depending on the time of the day. It could be just 3 of us or it could be 10+. Come and join the fun.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

As a fellow mac user (we seem to be few in this group) I haven't found one. Also my java app is all crazy and if I get the newest one it won't work and gives me a java script error saying it's missing the .jnlp file (I really need to try to fix this). I don't know where I got it but I have some old .jar file that works though.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Any advice on some books to get? KGS thinks I'm 13k at the moment. I'm looking at the books sold by The London Chess Centre (ukgamesshop.com) and considering
  • The Best Play - Feng Yun
  • Tesuji
  • Attack and Defence
  • Graded Go Problems 3/4
  • Get Strong at Joseki/Invading
but I can't decide which to get, and I probably shouldn't buy everything I'm vaguely interested in.

I'm 11k and I own Tetsuji and Attack and Defense (though I haven't finished either D: but I can suggest owning both from what I have read).

I recently got one of the Get Strong books and was kind of surprised it's mainly a problem book and not a theory book.

Jennifer is right that solving problems will help you improve, specially your reading. But I'd suggest buying theory books now and doing the test sets on goproblems for free.

The book I would suggest that you don't have listed is Opening Theory Made Easy by Hideo Otake. It's a great read about Fuseki, but in the process it really explains the basics of good shape, thickness, and principles used in Attack and Defense (which I now understand better than I did before).

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

Hels, what is 'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go'? I've never heard of it before just now. Is it about real basic stuff that people mess up? Because I could use that, I'm sure. Tell me your secrets.

http://www.kiseido.com/Begin2.htm#K28

"This book explains the fundamentals of go that every beginning player should study. It covers connectivity, good and bad shape, the way stones should `move', the difference between territory and spheres of influence, how to use thickness and walls, how to train yourself to read out variations, where to start looking in a life-and-death problem, and the right way to study josekis."

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

qxan posted:

So would I be the gayest motherfucker in the world if I got a go avatar for SA? :3:

Depends on the avatar. Post some test pics.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Get a black and white picture of Go Seigen or Kitani or someone then post in D&D as though he were a famous politician

Sepia

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Bizarro Buddha posted:

I was roundly mocked for mentioning Dragon Go Server on KGS last night but I thought I'd post a link here anyway for anyone that doesn't know about it.
It's kind of like playing a game by email, in that you have months to finish a game if you want to, but my games so far have taken at most two weeks. I like it because I can make a move every once in a while when I'm at work, and be playing a bunch of games at once.

Edit: Also I have a shiny internet phone and DGS works really well on its browser.

It seems like it would be kind of stange as a high kyu to play on a site like that. You can improve dramatically in a week when you're learning early on so your game would really change over that time. Sounds interesting... however I'm currntly stuck where I am and don't even have time play and learn...which I guess means this site would be good for me...

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

The location makes it look like some sort of underground gambling ring or some poo poo, haha.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't just look like some sort of undergound gambling ring...

Man I envy you philly go goons. Where are all the ChicaGOons?

However, this guy you're talking about does seem kind of weird and neckbearded to me. I used to be an anime kid going on 10 years ago (my heady jr high days). Now I just want to punch all the dweebs I see walking around with naruto headbands around their necks. I guess what I'm saying is Hikaru No Go was a double edge sword.

Also added for wtf content: The other day at the library an anime kid with a naruto headband around his neck came up to the reference desk asking where the 531 non fiction section was, showing me a call number he had written down. Nothing wrong with that, right? Only something was wrong...he wrote the 5 backwards...he must have been at least 14.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So it's suuuuuuper slow at work right now, and to keep myself from falling asleep I made this. And yes I now know that i should have started closer to the left side. But f' going back and fixing that.

Click here for the full 692x577 image.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Mez posted:

I'm three hours south in urbana-champaign does that count )-:

It would count more if you were three hours north. but close enough :)

Blendy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Ahahaha that is genius. If I cared enough, I would crop that board and use it as my avatar.

No pressure to actually use it, but I thought I'd make it for you anyway. It's 141x200 and <7kb so it should work perfectly. Alternatively if you can find other 8bit pixel art large enough I can tell pixel to stone ratio than I could make you or anyone something different.

Quad posted:

I'm a ChicaGOon! I just go to the Schaumburg one, and there's a new one on Wednesdays in Downer's Grove that's... well... new. Still kind of a "board game" night rather than a Go club. How's Rockford?

I thought the Schaumburg one is really far south? I just got my apartment the other day. It's in Logan Sq. How close/far are you and the clubs?

Urban Renewal posted:

the go scene in fargo is every bit as scintillating as you may imagine (its me, I am the go scene in fargo)

I'd join that scene...if we could also put a dude in a wood chipper. Not me, but you know, some dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

post ur loot

Let's all post our loot

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Also here are some of the books I got from the library

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Top left to right

one thousand and one life and death problems
graded go problems for beginners vol 2
The direction of play

bottom left to right

life and death (elementary series)
modern joseki and fuseki vol 1
in the beginning (elementary series)
38 basic joseki (elementary series)