Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

o.m. 94 posted:

i wonder if it's just because go AI research was done by men in basements until google actually decided to throw some money at it?

Basically true, but also important were the recent advances in methods and GPU hardware for training neural networks. Any earlier than about 4-5 years ago, nobody could have actually implemented the ideas behind AlphaGo successfully, even if they had seen the paper write-up (imho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

derp posted:

Also does anyone have the crazystone android app? Is it worth 17$? And what does it lack that the $80 (lol) steam version has?

No idea about Android or Steam but I have the new iOS version and it is excellent. There is a (clumsy but workable) way to import an SGF and then re-analyze every move using the AI algorithm. This is *awesome* for reviewing my own human-vs-human games to identify mistakes and missed opportunities. Not as great as asking a stronger player for a review, of course, but it's fantastic for doing a quick check on my own. I'm now running almost all my own games through its analysis. Note: I'm about 8k and I think the AI review would be less useful if I were stronger. But I think anyone SDK and below would find it quite helpful.

If anyone is interested, I can post some tips on interpreting its analysis report for game reviewing.

Re: time controls - 10m main time is the minimum I feel comfortable with playing online. I prefer 15m-20m. Over 20m feels too long and below 10m runs me out of thinking time in mid game. Any x 30sec byoyomi has been fine for me.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

after black o7, white o6, black n6, white n5, black n4, white n7, black m5 or m6, white p7 escapes

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

The Surrounding Game is the perfect prequel to the AlphaGo movie :)

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

PandaNet has a decent iOS client. Very easy to find opponents for kyu level 19x19 games. The time controls are nice and long, which I like.

GoQuest is great for 9x9 but there is a lot of bullshit you have to put up with (ragequitters/sandbaggers/etc). PandaNet’s community is quite nice by comparison.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

On GoQuest if you are clearly ahead, but low on time, many opponents will keep playing endless shenanigan moves to try to run you out of time. You may have to keep responding or passing until they have no legal moves left.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

derp posted:

anyone looking for a fastish correspondence game, lets be friends? (i'm 4k, maybe)
Happy to play correspondence, shoot me a request on OGS, I'm "SelfAtari". I am also about 4K, as long as I have time to think :).

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I want to learn Go, are there any recommended (free is nice, but a few bucks if it's a high quality version that is a game changing experience) for a new player for iPad? Looking for something with nice tutorial, hints, and lots of practice modes / difficulty levels against the computer. Being able to play a buddy online would be a bonus but not necessary.
If I may be a little self-promotional, BadukPop works on iPad and does all of the above. (I am the lead developer). There is an optional paid subscription but the tutorial lessons, daily tsumego puzzles, and most AI opponents are free. The ability to play correspondence games with friends online is coming in a few days.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I'll check it out! No shame in pimping your work. Does it do landscape? Disappointed to find the other one didn't!

It does do landscape on iPads :)

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

For random 19x19 PvP games, PandaNet and OGS are decent. Fox and Tygem have more players, but setting them up can be a pain due to language/account issues.

For mobile, BadukPop is growing fast (I’m biased though - I am the lead developer :) ). We don’t have automatic 19x19 match-making yet, but you can use automatch for 9x9, and invite the opponent to set up a correspondence 19x19 game if you want to play big-board.

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2020

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Doing some Tsumego then getting to use something you learnt to win a goquest match is incredibly satisfying

The first time I found and used a tombstone tesuji in a real game = :smuggo:

Although my favorite was when I attempted to apply a new joseki I had just learned, then realized I had mis-remembered and played out the entire thing one line shifted toward the edge of the board, with disastrous results :shobon:

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

I’m doing my part! See https://badukpop.com for my app (self-promo alert) - now with more newbie-friendly tutorials. Last month it hit #5 on the board games chart in Taiwan (among all board games, not just Go).

My hope is that one day you can just put this on someone’s phone and it’ll teach them everything they need to start playing. Not quite there yet, but I think the latest version is good enough at least to get a new player to the point where they can learn more from YouTube, like Michael Redmond’s excellent new beginner series, and eventually Nick Sibicky’s DDK/SDK videos.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Aw, shoot, sorry. Does it not install at all? Or installs and then renders the Go board as all back or something?

We spend literally >50% of our dev time dealing with compatibility issues on various Android devices, so it’s not too unusual, especially for older devices.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm just taking the Play store's word for it.

Hmm ok, if the Play store lets you install it, please give it a try, we’ve made a lot of Android compatibility fixes over the last couple of months. Admittedly, it still doesn’t run so well on phones that are more than ~5 years old.

quote:

If you don't mind the question - how much of random board game market is android vs ios these days?
It’s pretty evenly split actually. Our user base is a bit heavier on Android in East Asia since Apple has less presence there. iOS users are smaller in number but tend to stick around more, probably because the game is really well optimized on iOS and tends to have fewer little glitches.

quote:

Is the price (and/or version differences) available?
The app is free to download and has no ads. PvP play is totally unlimited. There is an optional subscription that unlocks a few extra things for tsumego and AI practice; it works almost exactly like Chess.com’s app (we are a bit less expensive than Chess.com). The free version limits you to 15+ tsumego per day (minimum; you get more if you’re good) and 1 AI game per hour (the AIs run on the cloud and we have to pay for that :) ).

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 27, 2021

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

The Tsumego database has about 4,100 now, split about evenly across all the levels.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Going to be unexpectedly traveling for a couple of weeks - anyone have any particularly good lectures on youtube to recommend?

Around what strength level are you looking for? For DDK/SDK the early Nick Sibicky videos are great, for stronger players maybe the Michael Redmond AI analyses. Both of them also made some very beginner-friendly novice videos recently.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Apologies in advance if this is too self-promotional, but if you want gamified tsumego practice, that’s basically the core feature of my app: https://badukpop.com. The free version allows at least 15 Tsumego per day (more if you get them all right). We currently have about 4,600 problems, the majority of which are at beginner-friendly levels.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

+1 for Tsumego Pro

I’d self-promote my own app, BadukPop, but it won’t work without a network connection XD.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Cool, yeah, a big piece of feedback we got early on was that tsumego answers are hard to understand for beginners, because new players don’t recognize living or dead shapes right away. So we went and built full move trees for the first ~35 problems, which go all the way to taking the group off the board. One day I hope we can use AI to build exhaustive move trees for all problems.

We’ll be sending out Autumn Festival gifts this afternoon (a couple of free items to every account) so now is a good time to install the app if you haven’t already :) https://badukpop.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

It might be helpful to watch some "over-explained" beginner game reviews on YouTube - creators like Jonathan Hop, Michael Redmond, and Nick Sibicky make these videos from time to time. On a 13x13 board you can start getting a feel for whether a corner is likely to become territory for white or black, and what extra moves you need to make to create or stop that territory from happening.

You can always post an SGF of a game (e.g. via eidogo.com) and ask here for questions about specific moves.