Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

empty whippet box posted:

Just destroyed someone in a game and rather than resign they hit the report button so that it would take at least a week to actually get scored, since that nullifies the game until it can be reviewed by IGS and scored by them. Why would someone even do that? Sheesh, take the L, people.

Nothing like playing a correspondence game with 3 day long turns where the other person, losing by 100+, requires you to fill in all the dame (after dozens of doomed invasions).

And then resign rather than count after every move was done.

I swear I've had a game last over a year because of poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

derp posted:

i would approach the bottom right. take the big points first

I agree with that, but let's say a few moves get down and we eventually revisit the top

Should he invade (cap or small knight)? Extend from his own 4-4 via large knight or 2-space jump from opponent's stone?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I didn't look at the names or ranks of who was playing until after all the corner moves were played and they started fighting. I legit thought it was DDKs after the first 10 moves or so.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

dirby posted:

Get games reviewed. I got to like 14k (or better?) in like 30 games on a full board but I got all but one reviewed by someone who could talk me through strategy and what I should focus on in my mext game.

Play some games.

Read Fundamentals of Go.

Play some more.

Watch some good tutorials (I like Dwyrin's, others like Nick Sibicky or others)

Play some more.

Get reviewed by dan level players.

Play some more.

Read some more books (Attack and Defense)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I've read both fundamentals and attack and defense. Fundamentals is great from 18k to 1k. I cant see a player really getting good use out of a&d until they reach ~13k. Some of the basics in a&d are covered in fundamentals, and the more advanced stuff can get kinda esoteric or require decent direction skills and reading.

That, and it's a lot less fun to read, which might matter more for newer players.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mycophobia posted:

ooh I will also watch videos like this (subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuEzcrS0kU

That was a very cool game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I usually play very long correspondence games, and only one or two at a time, so I don't actually play that many go games. To remedy this, and to get better thinking on my feet, I told myself this weekend that I was going to start playing one blitz game on OGS per day. I know I am not good at quick thinking in go yet, so I decided from the onset that it's okay if I lose a lot at first.

I've dropped from 7k to 9k in two days, but I'm having a lot of fun and playing a lot more go, so I'm trying not to worry too much about my rank. That said, I hope I don't drop too much more, since I like being able to tell myself that I'm an SDK player!

I'm in the same boat. I've played about 70 games ever, almost all multiweek correspondence games where I can plan a lot into each move. Because I put so much effort into my games I'd win a lot, and ogs thinks I'm an SDK. When I try live, I get pummeled because I don't have instincts developed.

I SHOULD play a lot live to remedy this, but I'm just so paralyzed thinking about it I never do.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, although it's more a chill hangout place where khell occasionally posts pics of someone misreading a ladder than a dedicated Go discussion.

https://discord.gg/CWHAnY

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I like dwyrin. You can even watch his non basics videos and still get some good stuff out, because frequently he'll point out when opponents lose high Dan level games because of basics level mistakes, like failing to defend adequately. (Along with a lot of high level nonsense that can become incomprehensible if you don't have a lot of practice counting liberties or reading ahead)

Don't really watch anyone else.

I do the patreon where I get to have my rear end handed to me by dwyrin on the last Sunday each month. I'm only about 10k so he wears kiddy gloves until I accidentally kill something. It's fun.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

PopZeus posted:

My wife got me a Go board for Christmas and we are both completely new but eager to learn. Question is, what's the best way for two total noobies to learn? Sometimes against each other I get the feeling we're playing out stuff we don't need to or not recognizing amateur traps (currently sticking to 9x9). We have trouble realizing when the game is effectively over, too.

If alphago is any guide, play billions of games against each other and develop a library from which you can devise countless permutations for any situation.

In seriousness, it sounds like you're really new. The intuition about game progress or traps comes with experience as much as anything. I don't know that there is a best way other than whatever you feel up to doing. Playing vs each other 9x9 til you get bored, then 13x13, then 19x19. Watch videos if you want, or other people playing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

My wife likes most board games, but does tend to have analysis paralysis. When I showed her the 19x19 board she immediately noped out.

I don't have analysis paralysis and am about 10k, but the sheer possibilities on the goddamn board can sometimes give me nightmares too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

that's a good page!

really struggling to cross over to SDK, been at 10k for a while now. reading attack and defense for the 3rd time, maybe it'll stick

I'm kinda in the same boat and I find rereading fundamentals of go to be more rewarding than A&D. I feel like A&D assumes you've internalized direction of play too much for most DDKs, it's problems and solutions don't click well enough to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is the channel US based? If so they have no excuse.

"Honoring the Great Person" doesn't seem colloquial to an American. I'd guess Korean based on the geopolitical historical contexts necessary to not hate Kissinger.