Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I didn't see this great resource posted: http://gogameworld.com/gophp/pg_samplegames.php

It's a set of championship games displayed step-by-step with commentary from a professional. Not for total beginners, but if you've been playing full size boards for a while, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Argue posted:

(I guess anyone else is free to move. Whoever gets there first.)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It could get interesting when it's time to take stones away. But whatever, do it on a real Go board and take a picture. :w00t:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

D4 seems good for black, no? I'd like to see some commentary/analysis from a stronger player, if they don't mind.

I would do D2. The lower left black stone is in trouble, and is about to be sealed off, giving up that corner. Black at D4 would let white seal it off at D2. Then there would be no way to save that stone.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Oops.

Phyzzle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 6, 2008

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
f10 :firstpost:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I remember the S being silent sometimes in Portugese, and the H being hard (and R is a soft H). It might be pronounced KWA KWA KWA!! . . . gotta look that up.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Zeiros posted:

OK I've put a couple of days worth of remembering the rules, and reading through website after website. With GnuGo on its easiest setting I now need about a six stone headstart to win 50% of the time. So basically I'm one tiny step ahead of "placing stones randomly".

By the way, play a hundred quick games on a 9x9 board first. Does your GnuGo program have that option?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Kenning posted:

I was getting into go a year or two ago and then I sorta fell out of it when I didn't have anyone to play with in person and online matches were taking too long. No classes now though, so I may have to check this SA KGS club out!

I never play more than 15 seconds per turn. You can set the byo-yomi to 15 seconds.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Question: on KGS, I've had a lot of people ask for undos due to misclick. I deny them every time, and they get in a huff and in some cases walk off if the game is tight. Am I being a dick for saying "nope, sorry, you better learn to not misclick"?

Yeah. You can at least allow them the first time they ask. Unless they waited an entire minute to do so.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I'll generally grant undos - if requested within 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
So now that AlphaGo has ruined the game forever, I was curious if there existed any interest in variants online.

When you read a list of Go variants,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_variants
It mostly sounds like god-awful gimmickry. Maybe Tetromino-Go could be interesting, but not as interesting as actual Tetris-Go. Now, MarGo is a variant that allows you to slither over a barrier, but it seems like a lot more moves to play a game on the same size board.

One game that has an intriguingly simple premise is Oust by Marke Steere. Since there’s no Ko rule, the rules are arguably even simpler than the rules of Go:
1. You cannot grow a group (not even from one stone to two) without making a capture.
2. Captures are made when your group is larger (after your move) than some enemy group that it’s touching (after your move). All such smaller enemy groups are captured by that move.
3. If you make a capturing/growing move, you move again.

This is the best demo I could find of it being played: http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5635