Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Picked this game back up a few days ago and I love it as much as always (despite my awfulness). I really just enjoy the floaty push-pull of the pieces and the pleasant conversation it envokes. But wow do I suck.

I'm qxan at KGS so if anyone good wants to message me and help, I would be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I would have ended up hating Go if it wasn't for the great SA community on the KGS server. Great people. I'm telling you.

PS Come play Go.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Nope. I'm not letting this topic die.

Everyone should go play Go right now. Just loving go and do it.

PS. I knew you were Helsbecter, Under 15. I knew.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Go party! :toot:

Hey Helsbecter what did you mean by that villainous statement? Is woss on hiatus?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

So I realized I hosed up buying my goban. I got a neat shin-kaya Japanese board which is totally off the hook and Chinese yunzi stones which are off the hook. I'm sure a lot of people reading this see the problem. The stones are too big for the board. Not by much. Ever so slightly. But it's enough to bother me when I play on it. I have to readjust the stones as every move maligns other stones.

Woe is me.

tl;dr:
:words:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Unfortunately, this is a picture of 19 stones. As you can see, they line up perfectly with the lines of intersection. Not. The black stone in the center is perfectly positioned, and, as you can see, the stones only get worse and worse from there.

So can we throw my pity party now? I'll bring the dip. :v:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, I play on it all the time and it's usually okay with me. Just a pet peeve. I'm not about to break out thirty bucks to solve the problem. Urban, who are you on KGS?

Blendy, yeah it's a slotted goban plus carrying case. I like it just fine. The case is mighty convenient, but I feel awkward carrying it anywhere public for fear of people thinking I'll whip out a machine gun or something. :(

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

No, the slot doesn't give me a problem. Remind me to take a picture of the reason it was a hundred dollars off if you ever want a good laugh. The smallest break I have ever seen.

By the way, if I wanted to buy some cheap cute lil' appropriately sized stones, how much would that run me?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

suppose the real reason the board was 100 dollars off is because they made it too small :ohdear:

Good heavens. :smithicide:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Blendy posted:

11k :bang:
got to make sdk :bang:

Come on, rival. What are you waiting for? :c00l:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

Waiting for you to play some ranked games and drop back to 11k :madmax:

I just won a 9k game today thank you very much! :clint:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Blendy posted:

The ghost of shusaku to become my buddy :ghost:

Or until fundamentals sinks into my head and a&d gets here. :v:

Don't forget you started a long time before I did. I'm catching up quickly. :c00l:

I played from July to September and now May. Nice try. :downsowned:

Useful information Edit: I heard the Life and Death book from Elementary Go stinks too.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

The closest club I can find to myself is in the middle of gently caress yourself no where an hour out from where I live. Two old guys run it. It is pretty sad if I'm considering going. I'm going to get shot.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Bizarro Buddha posted:

:neckbeard:

:monocle: Dear lord, that is wonderful. What's the occasion?

Also, are you on KGS? I like to know the Go goons.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Any of you in Philly? Me and a couple buddies play on our lunchbreak.

I am in the suburbs around West Chester, so it's sorta a distance to head into the city. Are in in Philly? So close yet so far.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

'Tesuji' and 'Attack and Defense' are kings of books, they tell you a bunch of stuff that would otherwise take forfuckingever to figure out otherwise

'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go' is a good book to keep you from quitting, which is another common malady in new players.

Hels, what is 'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go'? I've never heard of it before just now. Is it about real basic stuff that people mess up? Because I could use that, I'm sure. Tell me your secrets.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I wanted a usable description of the book. Like, if it was a good read. I looked it up on Sensei's Library/amazon, thank you very much.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

So would I be the gayest motherfucker in the world if I got a go avatar for SA? :3:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Lyon posted:

I am near Philly lol

I had no idea there were so many go goons near Philly! We should find some halfway point between us so we can play a game someday. In person.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

...I do admit if someone tutored themselves to shodan on a 9x9 they would be a loving force to be reckoned with...

This seemed like a fun idea for a second. Can you imagine? But then I realized I actually can't. It seems like global strategy would be integral for someone to reach shodan. And while fighting is paramount on a 9x9 board, the fighting is different than an intense bout of fighting on, say, the full board. Groups don't run on a 9x9.

This is such a derail but it stuck out at me. Let me get back on topic.

helopticor posted:

Since I don't really like any other games of strategy, I'm finally giving Go a real shot.

Go's more like a way of life!!! :yarr:

I feel your pain, though. It takes a long time to be okay at Go. I've been playing for like a year and I'm pretty much certifiably "below average." Keep at it, though. Go is really entertaining.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

if a dude seriously made it to shodan playing 9x9 his life and death will be way better than anyone he plays and so will his endgame. One read of Attack and Defense later and he would probably jump up to 3d

Life and Death skill is what the game is all about, when it comes down to it. That is why despite well-planned strategy and style, nine year old korean kids can kick you in the dick without even having to pay attention to the game.

EDIT: poo poo that kghin kid is eleven and he went from 4-dan to 7-dan in a year

Disagree. It's all about well planned strategy and style. The Korean kids just are much better at that than us, too!!

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

I always get quite tense during matches. Assuming this isn't totally abnormal, how do you deal with the pressure?

Yeah, don't worry. Sometimes I psyche myself out of playing games because I get the fear, but it really happens to everyone. Do what xau said. It is good advice. You might also want to try a few Free games as opposed to Ranked ones and going "I can lose this and life will go on."

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Everyone should play Go. :3:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

It took me until about 8 kyu to really realize how much I sucked at go. You think you know how bad it is up until then but then at some point more doors are opened and you are just like "fuckkkk where do I even start"

I've been like that every step of the process. Just when you think maybe, just maybe, you're starting to understand the game, it hits you with its giant cock of "You don't know loving poo poo about Go gently caress you."

And that's the best part of this game! There is endless room for self improvement. You will never master this poo poo. You can just pretend not to suck now and again.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

I am reading breakthrough to shodan and its way better than I thought it would be.
How good? Like, Fundamentals good?

Cybermg posted:

gently caress, I feel like I essentially lost a game I could have won because the other guy was too insistant on ending the game, and I didn't try invading.

That would have been my first legit win.

I can't wait to really talk this game over with one of you guys
Feel free to ask.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Happy US Go Congress Day! Wish I could be there.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Haha, go made the Philly paper. Any of you goons in this article?

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20090812_Go_s_complexities_are_ageless_.html

So this morning, being Saturday and all, I decided to head up to Phoenixville's farmer's market in order to find the person this article was based on. I found him. Turns out he was around 6 kyu. And I beat him. First real life game of go. Against a total celebrity. Oh yeah, baby.

:tipshat:

Turns out they have a club every Wednesday. I'm glad I found out just in time to leave for college.

I might start a club at Boston University. Very much considering it. Does that poo poo look good on resumes?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

The Chinese guy, Craig Brown, or the 7-year-old? Bonus points if you humiliated a 7-year-old.

Craig Brown's friend, actually. I embellished a bit. Craig Brown wouldn't play me because he insisted he was much weaker than me. Maybe like 10k? His friend was 6k. I was content.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Great job!

I might be able to take on Craig Brown then.

Can you say Rengo?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

I am crying

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Do the goonmap thing. It would be the middle of the ocean. Which ocean? I don't know.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Bravo, Hels

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Blendy posted:

ARG my editor didn't catch that!!!!!!!!!! I will now lose points :(

I don't know if I so much as Go in management theory as much as I saw management theory in Go.

(also I figured this would be an easy paper to bullshit!)

Hope you're wrong about losing points because I noticed a couple dependent clauses and appositives that needed commas. :ssj: :ssj: :ssj:

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Pillow Face posted:

Philly goons (qxan and Scatter I think?) how are your schedules looking for an after work go happy hour these next couple of weeks?

I am at school in Boston until Christmas. College and all. Sorry, pillow. :(

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Prodigious posted:

i won against breakfast, party at my house

Did you talk poo poo at him? Move to America and become a 3p.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Hi guys miss me I might play over Winter break gently caress college I know you missed me guys I took that quiz and got European 13k not too bad it's like what I was when I stopped playing but a little shittier which makes sense because I probably suck now okay looking forward to having you guys kick my rear end give me a few weeks before finals are done okay bye

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

In my absence from KGS I have IMPROVED TWO STONES. :ssj:

Thanks, MIT Go club nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

I improve sometimes without even playing.

Thanks, KGS ranking system.

Nah, that's happened to me before but KGS deleted my account. So I had to start over. And ended up higher ranked. Maybe KGS has lost prestige in the time I spent off it.