Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

just got the kgs android app, pretty awesome to play online go anywhere. I need to start atudying though. For the last few years, I've played and mildly studied go for a week or two, then stopped for a few months. Maybe being able to play anywhere will prevent long streaks of not playing. (I am around 12k atm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Yeah, it's $15, I'd get it even without KGS really (not even sure what's in it other than the lectures). IMO it's definitely worth it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Question: on KGS, I've had a lot of people ask for undos due to misclick. I deny them every time, and they get in a huff and in some cases walk off if the game is tight. Am I being a dick for saying "nope, sorry, you better learn to not misclick"? I don't seem to have this problem when I play with more experienced players, but there might be some kind of etiquette involved.

If it's an clear misclick (they move one off from the obvious move) I'll generally allow the undo, but if they try to do it after an important move I make then I probably won't.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

In Japan at the moment, picked up 4 problem books

Can't read Japanese, anybody able to help with the book titles?
The first two are split up into 3 sections, 6-10k, 1-5k, shodan, and the second two I'm not so sure. I basically picked them based on not having much text, and me being able to understand the problems (currently 6-7k)
Each was around $11.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

helopticor posted:

Clockwise from top left: No Time Tsumego, No Time Tesuji, Yose, Tsumego. Check Sensei's Library if you don't know the terms.

Edit: Yose is probably (but not necessarily) the "approach ko" meaning as opposed to the more common meaning, but it's probably pretty clear once you look inside the book.

Thanks a lot. Also, (I'm pretty sure) yose is used in the traditional sense. It's a lot of endgame type problems focused on getting more profit than the obvious move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Longtime friend started playing a lot and so I've been getting back into this, I played a bunch like 12 years ago and got up to 5-6k, then basically 1-2 games a year. Having a lot of fun and seem to be around 9-10k now. guess the ranking drop is not as bad as it could be - my early game decisionmaking has taken a hit, but my reading isn't too bad. Hopefully I can get through some big mistakes and slither my way back to where I was before by just sticking with it.