Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hello!

I've played Go on and off for a few years and recently decided I want to take it seriously again. I'm cperdue on KGS, my current rank is 8k and falling.

This is my most recent game. All comments appreciated.

Also, I would like access to ITGO.

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Great, thanks. It's weird to be described as too aggressive when a buddy of mine (was 2k on KGS a while back) often describes me as "way too passive", though I was consciously trying to attack more in that game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I finally made 9k on IGS! I hope to be dan by this time next year.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
hey I made KGS 6k like four years ago and haven't progressed past that point up til now (IGS ranks are stronger, at least at the kyu level), mainly because I only played very infrequently up until recently. do you play often?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Indeed. The better you get the more effort it takes to progress I reckon.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Play stone, take liberty

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
http://playgo.to/interactive/

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh. I didn't know

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I don't know you people

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm on a 7 game winning streak and it's freakin me out!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I feel like 10 at 12 is better?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xom posted:

After B 9 or after B 15?

EDIT: Does W 10 at 12 even work? Can't Black push out?

uhh...I guess so! this is why I lose games

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I learned about that pretty recently too. Weird poo poo.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wtf happened to pandanet

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

here's the article he links to in the facebook post he links to which is on a website you must register for:

New Scientist posted:

MY TWO matches against the chess supercomputer Deep Blue in 1996 and 1997 were called “the brain’s last stand” and compared with everything from the first moon landing to the Terminator movies. I won the first time and, more famously of course, lost the rematch a year later, at which point IBM shut its project down.

Every time a similar challenge hits the headlines my news and social media mentions erupt.

The latest flurry is due to the Google-backed artificial intelligence AlphaGo taking on Go champion Lee Se-dol of South Korea after it beat Europe’s best player 5 to 0. I don’t play this ancient Chinese game so am not qualified to predict the outcome next week, but I do know what the result will probably hinge on and what the future holds for Go.

Computers excel at flawless calculation, our brains at generalities, long-range planning and applying general themes to new circumstances. This contrast makes for interesting battles in the brief windows when humans and machines are evenly matched, as in chess 20 years ago and, apparently, as in Go today.

Early chess machines had blind spots and exploitable weaknesses and the temptation is to target these instead of playing a normal game. I could not resist doing so against Deep Blue. Mind sports like chess and Go require intense concentration and when focus is disrupted by trying to trick a computer you can end up tricking yourself into making objectively dubious moves. As machines get stronger, these are punished.

But the key disparity between flesh and silicon is the mundane machine advantage of relentless consistency. Computers don’t make big blunders, at least not in chess, while a human is only a slip away from catastrophe. No machine suffers complacency, anxiety and exhaustion. When I lost the decisive sixth game to Deep Blue in 1997 I was under huge pressure and played like it. It was the worst game of my career.

Despite that, it was an exciting time, the culmination of interest in mastering the game mechanically dating back to the 18th-century hoax chess machine the Turk. Today AlphaGo represents a machine learning project with real AI implications and deserves wide attention.

Se-dol may be so much stronger than AlphaGo that human fallibilities won’t be decisive yet. Go also has many more possible moves each turn than chess and is less dynamic, factors that work against machine success. But I’m afraid the writing is on the wall. Today, a decent laptop running a free chess program would crush Deep Blue and any human grandmaster. The jump from chess machines being predictable and weak to terrifyingly strong took just a dozen years.

Go, your clock is ticking.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
5th line shoulder hit i guess

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I wish they'd gotten another English speaking professional to comment with Redmond

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, my interest in Go has been rekindled as well. Ive been playing like six or seven games a day lately

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AdorableStar posted:

普通話最好

I can't read this fuckin poo poo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
so I'm playing only blitz and I'm losing like every game lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

totino boy posted:

im excited to get back to playing go after watching it for 4 hours a day over the past week

I've played 45 games since last Thursday :shepface:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AdorableStar posted:

It's not about being the best - it's about HUMANS through HUMAN means being the best. What's changed is that the eventual inevitability of Go software of pro strength being availible through phones is even closer.

Pro teachers aren't as accessible as an iphone app and they sure as hell don't cost the same. It doesn't even have to be phones; it can be easily downloadable software.

Green thank you

Why wouldn't you want it to be easier to get good at go

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AdorableStar posted:

Why would you assume that's my position and that that's my argument?

I dunno. That's what I got out of that post

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
tfw you lose four games in a row -_-

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Play tons and tons of fast games against real people on a 19x19 board

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've heard it said that low ranked amateurs should play fast all the time because they don't have a lot to think about, thus it's better to develop an instinct for shape and the general flow of the game, etc.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I wanna hit 1D. if I eat sleep and breathe go for a year maybe I can reach it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm trying to actually read before I play moves now and it's yielding decent results

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Johnny Truant posted:

Hoping somebody can help me out here: I just 'completed' Tsumego Pro's 2nd easy challenge of the day but... I don't really know why it's finished?

I mean I think the point was just to keep Black's pieces alive by creating at least two eyes but honestly I have no idea.

You got it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Johnny Truant posted:

:ocelot:

Is Tsumego worth the :10bux: to buy the upgraded version, by the way?

I haven't bought it. I do most of my tsumegoing on gochild nowadays

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I don't drink, sorry.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
it never feels good to win on time a game you're losing badly

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if I win one more game I'll be IGS 8k, and knowing that is seriously making me hesitant to play lol

e: just had the easiest game ever and ranked up :D this is my first marked improvement in years, granted I haven't been playing very much until just lately

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 19, 2016

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hit 8k+ on igs yesterday

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I read Attack and Defense and now I'm reading Tesuji so I've been pwning n00bs left and right

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hate go

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I came back from a five day vacation and I've lost 11 of my last 14 games and am about to rank down to 9k+ from 8k+. It's incredibly discouraging and I'm finding it really hard to continue playing. From a rational perspective, I'm not having fun, so I should quit, but there's a part of me that says I'm going to regret giving up. It's just so painful to endure loss after loss, especially after a period of improvement.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I think I'm just slipping into old bad habits because I've been less than diligent in my studies over the past week. The present course of action is to skim over Attack and Defense as a refresher and continue reading Tesuji. I refuse to give up

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I lost my sixth game in a row as an igs 8k. Directly after I started a kgs account and beat a 3k in a no komi blitz game so I feel slightly better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That group alive af