Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Under 15 posted:

so somebody sell me a go book I need something to read on the can

I keep hearing "attack and defense" but that is like book four in a series

What rank are you? In general, here's my view(out of practice 5k) of the elementary series:

Volume One: In the Beginning - Opening Theory Made Easy is infinitely better

Volume Two: 38 Basic Josekis - Personally, I find this unnecessary. You shouldn't worry about knowing joseki early on and by the time you should, you basically know most of this.

Volume Three: Tesuji - Essential. This is an amazing book. Teaches all the main tesujis and makes for a great problem book.

Volume Four: Life and Death - Essential. Also amazing for teaching L/D shapes and a great problem book.

Volume Five: Attack and Defense - Essential. I personally think this is great to do a basic read around 15k, but becomes more useful the stronger you become.

Volume Six: The Endgame - Great book, but tough to "digest." A lot of reading and counting.

JayMax posted:

A lot of people cite this as their favourite book. As I understand it, it's not as advanced as the Elementary Go Series, but it's still good enough to reread until shodan.

Fundamentals of Go is a great book. It's a very enjoyable read. I find it doesn't teach technique as much as mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Peantoo posted:

Fundamentals of Go is a waste of money. Attack and Defense and In the Beginning were the two books that really helped me, and still help me today. Fundamentals is basically a book that tells you stuff you learn on your own by playing games. Have someone review three games for you and you'll gain just as much knowledge as Fundamentals. I don't think anyone in ITGO actually recommends it. If anything, the Elementary Go Series IS the fundamentals of Go.

Yeah, Fundamentals isn't really a book you read to improve your game by learning technique. Fundamentals is more for understanding the heuristics of go.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

AbeVigoda posted:

Is this out of print or something? I've been able to pick up others in the series down at my local Uwajimaya, but they haven't had this one, and amazon only has used copies for ~$40.

Just order it directly from Kiseido:

http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm

Their ordering system is a little antiquated, but I haven't had any problems ordering from them.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Peantoo posted:

by the way, the best thing to do on kgs when you are losing is to escape. You can just resign and the other player can bask in his glory of Go, or you could just close the game and not resign. Eventually the system will count it as a loss for you, so nothing really changes, but boy howdy does it make pubbies mad. No clue why, they still get the win, but it sure is funny to watch them squirm. You always get the last laugh!

I know I'm taking flame bait, but I think this should be addressed. DON'T escape. KGS players hate escapers more than anything. If you escape a bunch of games, people will not play you, as players tend to bitch about escapers all the time. Most people check your game record before accepting a game with you. Escaped losses and escaped(unfinished) games are clearly marked.

slorb posted:

I'd love to meet someone who learned to play using that book. Its totally useless and confusing as hell too.

I own The Game of Go. It's not a bad read for historical purposes, but it's definitely not good for learning anymore.

Foggy, you should pick up Teach Yourself Go if you are still looking for a beginner's book. It's very through and should take you to around 15 kyu.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Doomclown posted:

There's an option to hide your rank in your profile settings on KGS. You may find it helpful in the interim.

I tried that once. Unless your rank is well known, most people will refuse to play you. Your best best is probably to either play goons around your rank(ranked games) or play a rank bot until your rank stabilizes.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

^^^

It means black won. Also, don't worry about playing through games until you're close to single digit kyu. From what I've been told, you don't really worry about studying pro games until dan level.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Still, it was only about 4 years ago that the best computer was maybe 16 kyu. Pretty amazing growth if you ask me.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

sensual donkey punching posted:

4 years ago the best computer was around 6 - 8 kyu (gnugo). For a long time a computers strength was its pattern database & ability to outplay tactically. The main advancement Mogo brings is a remarkable global sensibility. Just as gnugo could reliably beat 6 kyus at least half the time by winning most tactical fights, mogo can now reliably beat 2 kyus at least half the time because it will form vast central frameworks in reply to any slack play. There's no smooth gradient of advancement here, Mogo represents a big step forward, but to advance into the dan ranks both a good global sense & unerringly sharp tactics are needed, and I would be surprised to see a 6 dan computer in ten years! Maybe not twenty though..

Maybe I was thinking 5 years ago? I just remember all the go programs when I first started playing being real crappy and the strongest bot on KGS was 16 kyu.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Wow, I was going to say textured until I realized just how dull the colors are in textured.

Untextured/

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

I'm a former AGA member. It was worth it for me because I got the little yearbook and it allowed me to go to the quarterly tourneys in the other, bigger club about an hour away. Once I stopped going to those tourneys, it stopped being worth the price.

My club is an official AGA chapter, but it's a tiny club that basically only exists on paper right now. It helped us get some club sets for people to use(had to pay the high rear end shipping costs) and the one vote we get was kind of neat, I guess. I will say that the AGA does nothing to help smaller clubs. Every AGA newsletter was about all the great stuff they were for the big clubs in Cali, but they never did anything for any club that didn't have a pro nearby. In fact, the usage of dues was pretty appalling, in my opinion anyways. The North American Masters tournament is a big waste of funds and does nothing to promote go.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

So I'm looking to get a copy of Attack and Defense and I was just checking amazon to see had any copies (which I don't know why I did, they never do). Three sellers however had copies. Have you seen what they are charging?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/4871870146/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1242014363&sr=8-1&condition=all

Just order it directly from Kiseido(http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm). $18

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

I did, I just thought it was interesting that they're selling copies for $200+

My guess is that they are the original Ishi Press copies, despite Amazon saying the publisher is Kiseido. I know Ishi Press versions tend to sell for insanely high amounts.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Blendy posted:

Was it the Ishi press or Kiseido printing? I'm wondering if the Ishi press is any different. I'm guessing not.

Edit for stupidity: I'm guessing by original you mean Ishi. Have you seen a Kiseido copy? If so have you noticed differences?

The only differences(as far as I'm aware) between the Ishi Press and Kiseido editions of the books is that the Kiseido versions fixed a lot of the errors in the Ishi versions. At least that's what I gathered from looking at my Kiseido copies of L&D and Tesuji.

If anyone is looking for some out of print books, Kiseido has released some old books as downloads or all five on a DVD(http://www.kiseidodigital.com/kdb.html)

* What's Your Rating?, by Miyamoto Naoki: 50 full-board problems with detailed explanations.
* Kato's Attack and Kill, by Kato Masao. Fundamentals, problems, and game commentaries on Kato-style middle-game fighting.
* Enclosure Josekis, by Takemiya Masaki. Dictionary of josekis for attacking and defending corner enclosures, an oft-overlooked topic.
* All About Thickness, by Ishida Yoshio. An easy-to-understand, visual explanation of the crucial concept of thickness.
* The Breakthrough to Shodan, by Miyamoto Naoki. Commentaries on three- and four-stone handicap games for the low-kyu player.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Ah, so the goal is to get something around 18-19" at its largest measure? Your above link didn't work, but I found the same YMI $35 product. Here's a nicer looking YMI verison with "Yunzi" stones for $60+. Per WP, Yunzi is some kind of secret Chinese composite material; is it worth the extra cost overall?

Too bad the 12" folding board is no good. I'm not easily turning up an 17-20" folding board; is there just no good folding board on the market of reasonable size?

Personally, I really like Yunzi stones, specifically the single convex. The snap is really satisfying. I also feel the material is much better than glass. I think the more important question is do you and your cousin like the look of the Yunzi more than other materials?

I find folding boards are generally terrible. The hinge tends cause the board to not lie flat, which makes playing along the middle annoying. Plus, some of them have a gap between the two boards. Slotted boards are much better, but are a bit of a pain to put together and take apart(not to mention the potential of breaking the slots). I would just suggest getting a non-travel, standard sized board, unless traveling a 18-19" square-ish board is going to be a big problem. In that case, I would look into a slotted board.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

IMlemon posted:

So now that I have played more than 30 games of Go i'm fairly certain I like the game quite a lot and I want to buy a board. Slight problem: amazon charges 140$ for shipping a 100$ board. Yellow mountain imports wants 160 :smith:. Is this normal?

It looks like YMI's shipping is ~$40. I've only ever used their free shipping, since my order was over $125.

This set from Shodan Imports would probably be a good choice for a first board. No idea on how much shipping is, though. Spend as little as possible on your first board. You can always buy a better one later.

It's too bad Samarkand doesn't sell equipment anymore. The MDF club set was a perfect first set for me and cheap as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Amazon is telling me the shipping from YMI is $37.50. Do you live outside of the US?

Just as an FYI, you can also buy directly through YMI