Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Posting to say Go is pro-click and I want some newbies to come around so I'm not the lowest-ranked guy in the channel

Remember, you have to play 100 games before you start to have any idea what's going on, so go through them quick!

Also, would there be any interest in getting an actual play-by-post 19x19 going between two strong players? It might make for interesting thread material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
are we allowed to comment on this or what

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Cure for Optimism posted:

I've been meaning to get into this game so I've just signed up on KGS as "mardraum". Where's the best material online to help get me started? I've taken a little look around at http://senseis.xmp.net but that's about it.

Come into the SA channel as well and people can run through teaching games with you to answer any specific questions.

Otherwise just go through the tutorial and then start playing 20k+ players

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Not to interrupt this game but I'd like to have some GO BOOK CHAT. I am thinking of maybe picking up some books during christmas sales and I am wondering what I should get. I am a 9k on KGS and I own Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners, and I've also read the Learn to Play Go books with their awesome cover artwork. I'm feeling like it's about time to start studying books that cover specific areas of the game, rather than general books, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not too attracted to Tsumego books at this point, since I can find a ton of those online and the full text of several old books in PDF.

I'm looking at this series, starting with the linked book. Has anyone read these? I'm not particularly worried about them being under my level, but are they any good?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
yeah I sort of want to study some joseki cause the only one I know is the 3-3 invasion and I still gently caress that one up

so a book that combines the basic idea of implementing and learning from joseki as well as explanations of some common ones would be cool

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
bumping thread cause I got an awesome lesson in the room today the room owns go owns

also does anyone know where to get like big magnetic teaching boards for relatively cheap? Something I could put up on a wall

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
There was a news story recently about a program that beat a Japanese pro in a 9-stone handicap game. It must have been that one, I assume.

EDIT: Yeah, article about it here.

EDIT 2: Does anyone know if this screenshot is of an actual program you can play on?

Urban Renewal fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 12, 2008

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

sensual donkey punching posted:

that's a screenshot of the igs client glGo, it has a 3d board option

sweet I've been thinking of making an IGS account for all the wacky poo poo that goes on in there

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
years ago when I got into go and was like a ~20k on KGS I'd boast to people that I could beat any go program in the whole world :v:

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Pillow Face posted:

I, too, noticed that and also the incongruence of the World's Smartest Man playing as black.

The kid is actually smarter but since he's not technically "a man" the title still holds

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
its an unfortunate truth of online Go that someone being a terrible person does not preclude them from being decent at the game :/

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
she also listed "Battle B-daman" which sounds like a really sweet anime

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Just wanted to let everyone know that after a long game with Helsbecter involving several large fights I lost by .5 points ;_;

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go will never work as an analogy to real war because white starts with a disadvantage

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'd love to go to any actual AGA events but there's never anything near me. I'm starting a club at school though that may eventually get AGA-certified if it seems to keep up momentum.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Xif posted:

Sorry to be late to the thread. I am also Xif on KGS and I am a 1 kyu AGA.

I have been to a couple of AGA tournaments. They are a good place to meet some interesting people and get some advice about your games and a lot of fun. I would suggest playing some longer games before going as you do get a lot of time compared to online.

What's the standard? I generally play with 30 minute main times online.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
So lately I've been so overcome with my love of Go that I can't help but create Go art to try to express the beauty of the game

Click here for the full 768x512 image.

I made this one to celebrate ITGO, the forums KGS room and surrogate home to us all. ITGO: Gay Baby Diaper Hangout for life

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Lyon posted:

If you enjoy terrible jokes and whiney men-children then I have to agree.

I love anime where does this place me

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Since this topic and the ITGO community are dedicated to providing only the most stimulating, thoughtful Go discussion available anywhere, we have present a debate that is currently raging on KGS: Textured or Untextured?

Kiseido lets you choose the appearance of your go board from the following two options. The first is the default, textured mode, in which your board and stones look like a cheap imitation of an actual board. This is the preferred setting of scrubs and those who don't know any better. It looks like this:

Click here for the full 694x677 image.

The alternative is untextured mode, in which you can capture the pure soul of the go stones for the ultimate playing experience:

Click here for the full 694x677 image.

The choice is clear. Untextured is the choice of pros everywhere.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Heres one that the higher-ranked players will probably spot right away:

I'm black and white has just passed. As it stands, I lose by two points, but I spotted a remaining move that I should have seen earlier and which made my opponent resign in rage. Can you spot the move? Great fun for friends and family!

spoil your answer so everyone can play please thanks

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Foggy posted:

I got it, but unfortunately in a real game nobody's telling you "psst there's a tesuji here that will win you the game"

No, but you can always spend time looking for them. You might be surprised what you overlook.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I thought I was the only player on KGS that knew that the first play was supposed to be in the upper-right

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
isn't it like $200+ to get in the door? I'd love to go to something like this but good lord

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I think the only difference between clubs listed on AGA and actual AGA clubs is a yearly fee or something like that. I used to go to a tiny little podunk Go club that was actually an official member organization.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
someone put a 4-4 beat on it and we'll make bank

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I got kind of a deep voice, I could do a Beat Happening throwback hipster crossover and make this thing top Pitchfork

we can call ourselves The Nine Dans

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
After B Q1, White's ability to live in the corner depends on the outcome of the ko - the point is that Black used his position between two weak groups to force White into fighting a ko for life, where before the two groups both seemed to be alive. Even if White wins the ko, Black should make profit by being able to make two moves elsewhere.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
here's another problem from a game I just played. I'm black, and I eventually won, but there's a white tesuji on the board that would have won him the game and went unspotted for quite some time:

Click here for the full 749x739 image.

This should be pretty easy for anyone 10k+ to spot, and it has nothing to do with the move white just made.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Right idea but there's a better way of doing it.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
H11 captures a minimum of four stones.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
In the first answer, Black can save the larger group of his stones. He'll still lose some, but the guaranteed capture isn't as big.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'm Pyrography, 8k on KGS.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go owns, welcome new players, what was the KGS prank

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
will my rank graph reflect this, I would be really happy, my rank is very important to me

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
if it makes you feel better your first game didn't look like half the clusterfuck that most first games do

you also did the tutorial before playing instead of just "learning by doing"

I see a promising future

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
the japanese say you have to lose 100 games before you can start to really play but they also have a tendency to fetishize suffering so I guess what I'm saying here is that Go is a retarded game and anyone who plays it (me) is retarded

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go is literally keeping me from killing myself with a hanzo sword in a snow field

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go players are usually pretty hard up for new interested players, so we tend to be pretty nice and encouraging to them. We don't want you to quit!

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Good times - I actually managed to create one of these in a real game.

Click here for the full 848x851 image.

The upper middle-left fight is a three-way ko that will never end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
exar said that you would leave the whole thing as seki but he made a ko threat and I took the whole shebang. His ko threat was bigger than I thought though and I lost :(