Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

1554 posted:

I'm having trouble understanding some of the basic rules of Go. I'm attempting to learn, but then stuff like this confounds me to no end. I'm playing on a 9x9 board to get the feel of playing.

In this example, I am black, the computer is white.

My question is, Why was I not allowed to take white's stones, but lost all mine on the same play?

What helopticor said; basically you didn't have that group entirely surrounded. Surrounding stones doesn't mean that you have their outside border entirely enclosed, it means that the entire group has no more liberties (these are points adjacent to the group which are still open). The white group to the left of your stones had one "eye"(an open point within the group) and so couldn't be captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Well, finally got my computer back from being repaired and am back on KGS after almost 2 months I think... and holy poo poo does it feel weird playing on a computer after playing in person at a club all summer. Does anyone else feel this way, or similarly in the other direction? I almost feel like I'm actively worse on the computer now, like I can't think about the game clearly. Not stopping me from playing though!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Alternatively you can try making one! There are instructions on sensei's library and some of them aren't too difficult

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GobanSelfMade

e: if you live near a hardware store, you could probably just go in and ask them to cut you a square sheet of the correct dimensions from some kind of wood. Then buy a 1x2 or something to glue around the bottom to raise the height.

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 2, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Hey guys, just wanted to say that if anybody here lives around the Memphis TN area that there is a Go club that meets weekly, if anyone wants to play some in person games. Sometimes a player who is AGA ranked as a 7 dan amateur comes to play and there's a pretty good spread of new players to more experienced. Just wanted to put the word out.

http://www.meetup.com/MemphisGoPlayers/

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Does anyone know where to get a semi-nice, thick table board that is sized properly for single convex yunzi stones? YMI says in their product description for the single convex that they won't fit on Japanese sized boards. Is this true? I like the flat sided stones for playing out possible move chains upside down in after game discussion, plus the tables where I play Go with a group are too wobbly for double convex stones. Does the board size actually make a big difference?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Under 15 posted:

It's a pain in the rear end, since if you have chinese stones on a japanese board you can only line 17 or 18 up. All of YMI's boards are chinese sized, though, and I think as a rule most other boards you find are too; if one is japanese sized it will say so specifically or it will be easy to figure out.

Yeah, the bamboo composite board I have from ymi says it works with both kinds of stones which I assume means chinese sized because those are bigger (right?). I was looking for something kind of like this http://www.ymimports.com/p-854-shin-kaya-24-go-board-japanese-standard-size.aspx except this one says it is japanese sized.

I like the composite bamboo coloring and texture but the grid is screen printed and the corners are noticeably bent in each one. So I want a board that's a bit more traditional with hand painted straight lines (I know, I'm :spergin:) It's not urgent or anything, just something I want to look into. Are most thick table boards going to be japanese sized like that?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just can't get into online go. For some reason it's just boring without the social aspect. I guess I'm getting old.

Hard agree. I think I last posted in this thread or played seriously online almost a decade ago, right about when I found a decent sized go club and some players who were up for games during the week, because I want that social aspect, I want a mix of timed serious games and casual ones, and I really like the experience and aesthetics of playing on a real board.

There's no club where I am now or within 200 miles, so I definitely need to get back onto the online servers. But! If anyone in this thread lives in South Louisiana and would be up for an in-person game, please let me know! I'm roughly between Hammond and New Orleans and willing to travel to either. Maybe there'll be more of us than we thought- I'd be willing to try starting up a club/weekly meetup if there's interest.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Yeah, the only one I’ve found online is Cranes Nest and they’ve been defunct a while. Guess I’ll do some more looking on meetup and facebook and see if I can dig anything else up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
You can also check on https://baduk.club which seems a little more current; it’s also possible to find individual players near you or add yourself for other people to find