Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hello friends, I am newly obsessed with Go and am reading and playing all I can. I just played a 15k bot on KGS and lost by 1.5 points after losing probably at least 20 points due to stupid moves in end game. Only a week ago I was destroyed by this bot. Feeling good!

I've got 'the second book of go', which I am reading, and I've been watching some lectures on youtube and also looking at records of pro games just for fun, maybe I'm hoping to absorb some of it into my subconscious haha.

Does everyone here play on KGS, or is there other sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I requested to join the SA group on OGS and KGS. I'm jonasd on both.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing on the 13x13 board a lot today and am finding it more fun because I can actually visualize a plan, and can tell when to fight and when not to a lot easier. Is this good for progressing to a full size board, or am i going to learn to play the game wrong, learn bad habits etc, if I play too much on the small board?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap. That is ridiculous. How long does a game on a board that big take?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldragar posted:

The moves were ~3 seconds to 20 seconds at most and we both had 30 minutes on the clock; I think we weren't even in Byo-yomi when it finished. At least, I barely had gotton into it. But since most of it was me failing and dying everywhere I placed a stone, I think it'd be a lot longer with stronger players who have to know what they're doing and will have something to think about. I better stick to 19x19 and 9x9 for now. :v:

what, no 13x?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
So someone linked me to Nick Sibicky's lectures on youtube and I've been watching those. I've also been searching for a Go club to join when I move back to Seattle. I found one, and was surprised to see that Nick teaches the free class there :o

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an established Komi for the smaller boards? 6.5 seems like a lot for a 9x9 board, but thats what ogs has it set at.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Under 15 posted:

To be fair, the advantage gained by going first on 9x9 is much larger. A 5x5 board played optimally is something like B+4.5, if I remember

So if I were trying to teach someone on a 9x9 board, I should use the 6.5 komi when explaining the score?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Got my first blowout win on a full size board

Probably shouldnt be feeling too proud, the guys strategy seemed to be 'make giant walls that enclose nothing'. I should have been dead on the bottom left but he made a mistake and let me live in seki. I am proud i saw that his upper right corner could be killed. I killed it real early and I think he thought it was alive the whole time cause he started shoring it up in end game.

Anyway, yay go.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm certainly no pro, but it doesn't look like either of them knew what they were doing.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Although I can see the URL in the screenshot, it is helpful if peeps link to their games if possible (either directly via OGS or via Eidogo for other places), because then we can review the move order and give better suggestions!

Here's the game if anyone was curious http://online-go.com/game/478670

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice everyone!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished a 13x game with Pander http://online-go.com/game/483457

I'm wondering if when he invades at move 47 if there was a way to stop him, or does a 3-3 invasion always get the corner if done right?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
This was a very satisfying win for me, http://eidogo.com/#3gTd5OoFN

I'm sure lots of mistakes were made, but it felt good to defend against his invasion, then turn it around and eat up his territory so bad that he quit.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldragar posted:

To be honest, white's second move is a huge :cripes: mistake in and of itself. I don't necessarily blame you for taking all of the star points at that point though; what's white going to do, take all of that centre territory?

Yes, that's exactly what he tries to do.

Yeah I wasnt sure if I was missing something. i thought that was a terrible strategy... guess I was right!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Xopods whens the next lesson?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
sweeeet

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Woo, I leveled up on OGS, 27k. I think I need to play more live games instead of 7 slow games at once haha.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Lesson this week xopods?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
any day is good for me! Pander play a move >:[

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
where were you able to find attack and defense for less than 60$? or are you just that hardcore

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
nvm, found that gogameguru has all the books.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
All of the books in that series are ridiculously expensive on Amazon, but on gogameguru they are all 17.99

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
My most recent full size game, played live this time. http://online-go.com/game/503248

I lost two huge groups pretty early on due to retarded idiot mistakes, but still managed to win it by 12.5. Mostly cause my opponent was really helpful in assisting me with constructing my borders.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xom posted:

In the final position, Black has some cutting points that still need fixing.

yeah i was not confident in my ability to live after poking into the center.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
im in!

also about those cut points yeah now i see where i can take a huge chunk of his stones in the lower left. oh well, at least not seeing it didnt lose me the game this time haha.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone join!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Khel play some ranked games you jerk, no reason to play unranked

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hmm the ranking system on ogs doesnt make much sense. I'm 27k and beat someone who was 19k and didnt go up even one rank. Maybe i should just adjust my rank manually.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Woo, attack and defense arrived today

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
felt pretty awesome figuring out how to kill this group. http://online-go.com/game/504934

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Up to 60 on the 9x9 ladder woo

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I need to learn to read the score better

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
guys guys, check this out, guys seriously. Its go, ok? Right? Its go.... but with bitcoins

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
BTEAM bitcoin taints everything around me

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Me and Pander's most recent game, it was a lot closer than it looks with some of the battles where i barely escaped intact. http://online-go.com/game/506244

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so link the game already

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just beat someone ranked 12k in a 9x9 with no handicap by 1.5 points. :O does this mean i am good now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
went to the go center today and met nick sibicky. he played some new go ai on his phone and had the class help pick the moves. we lost. then he played again real quickly cause his battery was dying and lost again. he said he wasnt going to upload that class to youtube.