Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Reminder that the world go championship between 3 humans and the 3rd best ai? is going on. You can find it streamed here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iohS6jbLOoA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Wow.

These are surreal.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

You can absolutely code the Chinese ruleset. By extension, AGA shouldn't be hard. But oh boy good luck on the japanese set and addendums. The last time I looked at it they didn't pass the 'conforms to basic rules of logic' muster.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

that feeling when you play 10 games in a day and lose 9 of them, demoting twice. :sigh: I'm gonna drop all the way to 10k on this losing streak, I'm sure of it. That's fine, that's where I belong, it was always absurd for me to ever think I could ever be better than that no matter what I do.

You should stop playing while you are in this negative head space. Go to the park and stare at flowers.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I enjoy both but as I move up in ranks dwyrin's stuff is obviously more applicable because he does produce content for sdk/dans, while nick's class lectures are from the ddk class at the Seattle go center, so most of his content is aimed at that bracket.

I think nick once commented that dwyrin was a stone or two stronger than him in one of their duo videos saying nick was mid-high dan and dwyrin was high-mid dan, but they both agree that when they play for their audience in the teaching style they aren't really able to play as strongly as they possibly can and expect their videos to make sense to the watcher they want to maintain their viewership. There is a conscious decision to teach go rather than exhibit go.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Let's say I want to watch go being exhibited, not taught; anywhere that I should check for "here's some live commentary in english"? Like twitch, but for go.

Well dwyrin does stream on twitch where he plays 5-7d games on wednesday. He's twitch.tv/battsgo there.

Kim Yoonyoung is a korean 8P that streams largely without sandbagging, her channel is here. https://www.twitch.tv/kimyoonyoung

They both occasionally go over pro games as well.

The best English content for go is probably Michael Redmond, he's been recording stuff for the AGA over on YouTube. youtube.com/user/USGOWeb/
The downside of Michael's stuff is that he has Chris Garlock (who is a reasonable amateur dan) along to play conversationalist, and he doesn't get too deep into the weeds sometimes as a result, but he is covering much higher level games and isn't afraid to show actual long variations. Lately Chris has taken the feedback from the rest of us to let Michael explain things pretty well.

Finally there's a lot of Korean TV with English subtitles - it's "Baduk TV" and you can find it in the usual places but it is copyrighted material with unclear providence when it shows up so I'm not going to pick a particular google result or torrent for you. Often this is where you find coverage of stuff like the Meijin qualifiers in the traditional "Some Go Pro acting wise and knowledgeable + Some Go Pro Acting Dumb to be the straight person and asking questions" TV style, which is it's own thing like the redmond/garlock commentary above but on steroids.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Nick Sibicky is a reasonable starting place. Most of his lectures are from the seattle go club Double Digit Kyu class, so should be right at your target range.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

He has some stuff that is more advanced, but the classroom lectures with the magnetic board, or the problem sets should all be aimed at DDK.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Get goquest for your phones. Play a lot of 9x9 to learn shapes and how to make life. Even after it lets you play 13x13bor 19x19 play 9x9 here.

Watch the introductory lecture on shape. Here’s a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBh8FGK9bU

Play a long 19x19 against each other over the course of a month. Just leave the board out and make a move each day, or set up a correspondence game on ogs. Keep a move record, Don’t cheat, and stop at the end of the month (so move 30 or whites 15th move). Then take a picture, think about and talk about the game. Crucially try to figure out both sides next move. Then decide if you want to continue that game or start a new one, and which side you’d want to play.

Fast games played quickly against strangers help you build familiarity with the language of go. Explanatory lectures build vocabulary of good ideas. Long compositions help you build your planning and reading ability.

Never play handicap games.

That should be enough for January, come back and let us know how it’s going?

Go is also baduk, or weiqi which can help with search engine stuff.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Seems very unlikely given the storage constraints around mapping the entire graph of go moves.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Install Go Quest for 9x9 live play to figure out basic life and death stuff like "Do I have two eyes?". Meanwhile play correspondence games 19x19 (a lot of correspondence games at the same time) on OGS. You can play live games on OGS too of course, but correspondence is asynchronous and lets you think about the board state without feeling pressured to move, which can be good for new players.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Focus on fixing your direction of play. Move 15 was your big mistake, and either an approach or an enclosure would have been better. The stuff like armpit hits into getting haned is bad, but giving away sente for free is worse.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

CaptainEO posted:

Aw, shoot, sorry. Does it not install at all? Or installs and then renders the Go board as all back or something?

We spend literally >50% of our dev time dealing with compatibility issues on various Android devices, so it’s not too unusual, especially for older devices.

If you don't mind the question - how much of random board game market is android vs ios these days?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Play on a 5x5 vs super beginners and let them play black.

Seriously.

Scale up once you can't win anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

New Orleans absolutely has go clubs. I’m in h town, but have played there when visiting. I’d expect most are local haunts without big web presences because old people run them, but they exist.