Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Let me know how it goes! I just play capture go with my toddler a little until she starts making her own stories, usually we fill the whole 9x9. I'm not a stickler on the rules, I figure at that age there's no wrong way to play.

I think it's been going pretty well.

I try and lose most games and I'm having to remind her a bit less about obvious capture opportunities. She's generally pretty eager to play, although she doesn't request it unprompted like she would with other card or board games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

Update on this: we're playing maybe once or twice a week, about 5 games in each session before we start making pretty patterns. I usually have to bribe her with a sticker but she's keen enough.

She's started to learn a few things (like that starting in the corner is bad) and can sometimes recognise if she can win on the next turn (does a lot better with prompting about wins / losses). Going to move up to a 7x7 board and see how we go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Moved up to 7x7 first capture with Space Cadet. Was clearly a step up for her and I had to try much harder to lose.

She's still enjoying it though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Update: We just tried moving up from first capture on a 7x7 to something approximating a proper game on a 5x5 grid. Went well enough that we'll keep trying it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Still working on explaining capturing territory being good and that filling in everything you surround isn't essential.

PerniciousKnid posted:

My kid always wants to play Uno instead. :argh:

She never asks to play it but often says yes if I suggest it.

More often if bribery is involved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

So, a success! How would I go about teaching him a small area version, what do folks use to cordon off most of the board?
I just drew a small grid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Another update:

She's almost 6 and we're semiregularly playing on a 9x9 board. I will lose 100% of the time when I give her 4 stones handicap and I have to work pretty hard to win with 3, and she's learnt to connect things up to keep them safe and her main strategy is to block me as much as she can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Space Cadet insisted on playing on a full 19x19 board tonight. I gave her a huge handicap and pulled my punches a lot but it was a good game. I think we're going to scale back to something smaller in general (11x11 or 13x13) but she enjoyed it which was awesome.