Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Does anyone hang out on KGS anymore? I've just started playing again and have been looking for some coaching if anyone has time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Just got back from my first time at the local Go club. Some highlights:
  1. Learning to not lose so badly
  2. Getting slaughtered by a 9 year old
  3. Beer
  4. Learning that you always go for the Big move (and where to look for that)
  5. Being around and playing with extremely patient and strong players
I'll be on KGS when I have time and going back to the club next week for sure. Thanks to element and comaerror for helping me with my first games last week!

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Request to join on OGS as danbo. Thanks to Xom for helping me review some of my games on KGS.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Thanks to Khel and om94 who have been helping me review games on KGS (I'm danbo).

Here's a neat game to play to make good shape. http://www.gliftgo.com/#NSLesson

I've been finding that I leave too many weak groups around and it just allows my opponents to cut me up while building their own strength, so practicing good shape is what I'm working on now.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Just got back into playing after a while, slowly learning to play this drat game. I was really proud of this game I just finished. My goals with the game were specifically to think about direction of play and count constantly. I'm black and won by half a point.

http://eidogo.com/#2qKuIGnfT

Move 11 - F17, maybe should be an enclosure like O17 with possible extension around Q10?
Move 13 - Too slow or should've happened earlier?
Move 17 - Allows R14 which isn't good?
Move 28 - This ends a sequence which is okay for both sides?
Move 30 - Not a good response to my 3 space jump?
Move 31 - Thinking I can build the middle
Move 41 - Is this okay?
Move 66 - Too deep?
Move 81 - Greedy, I didn't read out the ladder
Move 83 - H8 is better?
Move 117 - How much sente was actually here?
Move 159 - Managing a bad situation decently?
Move 216 - Should be at L9
Move 222 - K10 is a waste of a move

takamoron fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 17, 2017

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz

sephiRoth IRA posted:

How much time do you devote to go in a week? I'm trying to decide if I want to give in to paying this again. I played a few 9x9s with a friend and had a blast talking out positions, but we are on vacation right now so time isn't a factor.

But back in reality, I have both responsibilities and other hobbies and I know go requires quite a bit of focus if you want to improve.

I never have been successful without someone to drive me, a study buddy, but I also don't have a night a week to connect with an online group or whatever, let alone play an hour- long 19x19.

Ugh God what a post. Don't search this thread, I'm sure I have five posts just like this popping up once every 1-3 years....

I play at our local club every week. Usually 1 or 2 games plus an hour or two of review and looking at joseki, opening positions with other players.

Daily tsumego takes ~15 minutes. I try to play 2-3 serious games a week online. Some kind of study, whether Youtube lectures, studying fuseki or reading is maybe 2 hours a week. So that's probably ~9 hours a week. But I'm in a try hard period trying to get to 1 dan.

Whatever you like doing spending time on is probably the best way to make sure you find time to play/ study. No one is above studying tsumego, but whatever keeps you energized for more, whether blitz, a serious game, Youtube or reading, enjoying the time spent is the most important thing :) I'd be more than happy to help you review games too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Is anyone going to Go Congress this year? I'll be there, trying to finally hit 1 dan before the tournament and 3 months to go 🙃