Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Beginners might want to give Igowin a look. It's a free demo version of the commercial software Many Faces of Go, and lets you play 9x9 games against the computer. It's no substitute for larger-board games against actual humans, but it's an easy way to play a lot of quick games (and win some! It adjusts the difficulty dynamically from game to game) and at the very least to help develop an eye for making live groups and get a feel for some common sorts of fights.

Other than that, nthing the recommendations for the beginners section on Sensei's Library, and a bunch of the easier problems on goproblems.com (which you should drill yourself on over and over until you can answer them immediately).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like black could play 157 G7 and maybe have a chance of either escaping or making eyespace with that group.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 27, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Does anybody have any book recommendations that are good for a mid-level kyu player, and that have a fair amount of discussion/theory (rather than being mostly board diagrams)?

I guess I'm looking for other books roughly in the same vein as Kageyama's "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", if any exist.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Blendy posted:

Otake Hideo's Opening theory. It's not overly wordy but it's totally all about discussion and theory. While the title suggests it's only about the opening things like good shape and attack & defense come up. It helped me better understand what I was reading in A&D.

I already have that, thanks for reminding me about it. It's good.

Ishigure Ikuro's "In The Beginning" (from the Elementary Go Series) is another good one I should revisit.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My go bookshelf and some brief thoughts:

The Magic of Go (Cho Chikun) - Was my introduction to the game years ago; good but very very basic, not much to see here.

The Second Book of Go - as the title suggests, a good introduction to strategy and fighting. Pretty basic but good for near-beginners.

EZ-GO (Bruce Wilcox) - pretty weird book, full of some goofy terminology but some good (fairly basic) information; I found this VERY helpful when I was first learning, especially the guidelines about links and creating live groups.

In The Beginning (Ishigure) - great discussion of openings, thickness, 3rd vs 4th line play, etc. I think I ought to reread this.

Lectures on Go Techniques - very good; written as sort of a workbook format which introduces a concept and then presents a few go problems on that theme

Opening Theory Made Easy - already mentioned, divided into "twenty strategic principles", great book

Lessons on the Fundamentals of Go (Kageyama) - awesome book that anyone who has gotten past the "first 50 games" level should absolutely read. Kageyama has an awesome attitude that goes back and forth between friendly & encouraging and tough sensei. This is a book that you have to put some effort into, but it's one of my favorite go books.

38 Basic Joseki - good I guess, but pretty specific; I'm not really at the point where studying joseki is the most interesting or useful topic for me

Appreciating Famous Games - it's interesting to read in short bursts, but it's pure gama analysis

The Direction of Play - I don't remember too much about this, although I recall some of it seeming a bit over my head (or at least too focused on detailed game analysis) at the time. Might be worth a revisit.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
How do I get access to ITGO? (I'm hdouble on KGS)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Yes, somebody added me last night, thanks for the help!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
New update for SmartGo Pro (for iPhone) just got released.

I don't know whether you all have seen this, but if you have an iPhone or iPod touch it's definitely worth checking out. The AI is halfway decent, especially on smaller boards (supposedly it plays at something close to dan level on a 9x9 board at the highest level), but on top of that there's 2000+ interactive go problems and a library of 12000+ pro games and you can use it to record your own games. $13 is sort of a lot for an iPhone app but I love this thing, it's great being able to do a couple of go problems while waiting for the train or whatever. The new version also adds a go tutorial which seems to be a nice (and interactive) intro to the game, might be good to hand to somebody if they express interest in the game.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I was just looking at godiscussions.com and my main impression of the site is that it's 90% useless until such time as they add a way for people to post their rank right underneath their avatar.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
quote is still not edit, not even in these wonderous times

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Maybe taking turns on an SGF file stored on dropbox?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Anybody have any good recommendation for resources about playing on the first and second lines? There's so much tricky poo poo that goes on there, and I'd love to find a good survey of things to look out for. I'm 11k KGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Reading the chat in EGR makes you 3 stones weaker.