Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slorb
May 14, 2002

helopticor posted:

Has anyone in here ever read Mathematical Go? Supposedly it gives an algorithm for perfect late endgames (which I hear from my Go playing friends are not as significant in Go as in Chess). I've studied the math (combinatorial game theory) behind it, and I'd love to hear from a Go player who read the book.

I haven't read it, but I did flip through it in a university library and I thought it was really dry.

If you're interested in mathematical endgame there's some interesting content on it at sensei's library mostly written by Bill Spight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slorb
May 14, 2002

Foggy posted:

along with a 1908 (!) book called "The Game of Go" which was interesting but not especially useful)

I'd love to meet someone who learned to play using that book. Its totally useless and confusing as hell too.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Under 15 posted:

The first month of trying to learn go is like having someone stomp all over your dick, but the second month has been very good for my stat-whoring soul.

Sandbagging all the way to your first real barrier after you get over the horrible initial learning curve is pretty fun. Its like the first taste of crack.

I feel like learning chess or bridge or something just to experience it again.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Ego Piano posted:

You'd think that a 3000 year old asian board game would be free of trolling bullshit, but that's the wonder of the internet, I guess.

I wish KGS wasn't so full of dumb teenagers. Goons and 2ch are really the only good communities I've found.

slorb
May 14, 2002
To keep this thread from repeatedly dying, does anyone want to play a turn based game in the thread to maybe interest some people?

slorb
May 14, 2002
hope this works
edit: it didn't

slorb fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 6, 2008

slorb
May 14, 2002

sensual donkey punching posted:

people idle a great deal in SA, particularly around hours that are not 9pm - 5am EST. better chance of getting teaching games then

I just thought I'd emphasise this. The SA channel is really just for idling, say something in the channel though and someone should show up.

slorb
May 14, 2002

sensual donkey punching posted:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GNUGo

there's a history of kgs ranks, i overestimated its strength 4 years ago but it was not quite as weak as 16 kyu even 5 years ago either

I suspect the ranks in that KGS article are under the old KGS kyu system before they compressed it down.

Playing Mogo or any monte carlo program really feels different from Gnu go. It doesn't throw away the game by ignoring threats to its groups as often, but in addition to the dan level framework building and life and death it does play weird influence moves a ton.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Foggy posted:

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Some of the stuff in that book was just wacky.

Donald Rumsfeld's ideal of "network centric warfare" actually bears a resemblance to how you might interpret go as a military strategy (a minimal number of fast moving troops using superior communications to surround and annihilate opponents).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slorb
May 14, 2002
Can I get added to ITGO please? username saa