Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Finally posting in this thread. I'm WuChou on KGS and I'm not sure what my rank is at the moment. I played at about 3k or so but am kind of rusty. Pretty much always up for a game or to review and answer questions, though, feel free to shoot me a tell on KGS any time.

sensual donkey punching posted:

welp i would recommend lessons in the fundamentals of go but maybe i'm gay

We can be gay together, Woss. I, too, would recommend Fundamentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

AbeVigoda posted:

Is this out of print or something? I've been able to pick up others in the series down at my local Uwajimaya, but they haven't had this one, and amazon only has used copies for ~$40.

http://samarkand.net/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=book&cart_id=5980184_4054

Samarkand has it for :10bux:x2. Kiseido.com has it for about the same. I've bought from both numerous times and can vouch for either site.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Urban Renewal posted:

Not to interrupt this game but I'd like to have some GO BOOK CHAT. I am thinking of maybe picking up some books during christmas sales and I am wondering what I should get. I am a 9k on KGS and I own Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners, and I've also read the Learn to Play Go books with their awesome cover artwork. I'm feeling like it's about time to start studying books that cover specific areas of the game, rather than general books, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm not too attracted to Tsumego books at this point, since I can find a ton of those online and the full text of several old books in PDF.

I'm looking at this series, starting with the linked book. Has anyone read these? I'm not particularly worried about them being under my level, but are they any good?
The Elementary Go Series books are excellent, in my opinion. I'd say Tesuji, Life and Death, and especially Attack and Defense are staples (my copy of A&D is literally falling apart from use). In the Beginning is pretty good, too. I highly recommend the series, except maybe 38 Basic Joseki, it's rather dated. It's an okay way to read about how to study joseki when you get to that point but it's age definitely shows.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Foggy posted:

I've been playing GNU Go on this great website on a 9x9 board just to try to get better at close fighting and life & death (goproblems.com is okay but I find it helpful to have more context and a semi-realistic set of mvoes that led me into the L&D situation). However I cannot for the life of me beat it without giving myself a few handicap stones. Should I just keep at it until I can somewhat consistently keep it from killing my stones over and over? Is that helpful at all? I'd like to play more games on KGS but when I get demolished by 100 points because I'm incompetent at corner fights I feel like I need to work with a computer program that won't mock me.

Really, come play on KGS with us anyways. Getting demolished (or demolishing other starters) is unfortunately the name of the game at the beginner stages. Games are going to be probably 50+ swings for a while until you learn to judge the state of you and your opponents' situations better. We'll also be happy to tailor advice to you, since we can watch you play over time and see if there's anything that is stumping you consistently. If you want to practice with that, that's fine, but I just played a few rounds with it odds are good it's going to outread you on that small board for quite a while. We idle a lot but most people are quite happy to help if you have questions about a situation or game, so give us a yell.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Buffis posted:

Ok, so I used to play go on kiseido a lot a few years ago and was 14k or so.

My account is gone now so I registered again and it's pretty much impossible to get into a game unless you have a rank... and you need to play games to get ranked.

This sucks balls.

Try the automatch under the "Play GO" menu up top. It seems to work pretty well. Just set the preferences based on your estimated rating and you might end up with some handicap games, but you'll be able to get a rating this way at least.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Coca Koala posted:

Is it a safe assumption that https://www.kiseido.com is a safe place to order stuff from? I want to get a copy of Attack and Defense without paying 30 bucks on amazon, but the shopping cart interface that Kiseido has looks a bit clunky and outdated; do I have anything to worry about?

Nah, they're fine. I've gotten a bunch of books from them in the past.

One day I will start playing again. Really.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Wrojin posted:

I did honestly wonder if the SA room on KGS is really the Something Awful room; I've looked at it a couple times, but never saw many people there.
It is, or rather was, we had to make a private room so we could all stop getting banned constantly.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
I think most of the dudes in ITGO are chill enough to tone it down if you ask. And yeah, EGR and games therein have a no swearing policy. You still see it sometimes but usually rather mild and certainly not the salty mouths of ITGO.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah, it's not really an A/T thread, but it doesn't make sense to me to move a healthy thread & risk its death.
Is my main concern.

Really though, Trad Games having a subforum doesn't really make the forum itself any more visible? We've had a steady influx of new players so the thread is certainly doing what we hoped. Plus, past the name, Trad Games doesn't really seem oriented toward much past RPG and Card type games at this point in time. The only active Chess thread on the forums is in SAS. The only chess threads I could search up in TG appear to have died on impact.

Edit: I would definitely like to see a fixing up of the first post, though. Woss stop getting huge or whatever for 5 minutes and fix the OP.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

helopticor posted:

Automatch probably won't help if your rank is [?].

You get to set your estimated rank in automatch prefs if you have a [?] though, which will give you a provisional rank to start with. ~25k has been pretty good guess for most beginners coming in I think.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

HineyBorelTheorem posted:

Also, which josekis would you recommend? The common objection I hear to learning josekis is that if the opponent goes "off book", then a DDK is lost and cannot properly exploit the situation. How can I remedy that?

It's hard to recommend josekis just offhand because they are so situational. Getting an even result locally doesn't help if you just handed your opponent a really good global result and put yourself behind. The best thing to do is lots of reading problems and full board/fuseki problems and stuff, you'll be better off if you can recognize how you want to change the board on a larger scale and can read yourself to those results.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Played a game this afternoon where a guy ended up playing too conservatively near the sides and allowed me to gain control of pretty much the entire center. I understand the basic idea that corners and sides are easier to surround, but it seems to me that gaining control of the center allows you so much more potential territory and gives you more opportunities to attack if you have strong enough groups/shapes.

At my stage of learning, going into a game with the nebulous strategy of "control the center" :haw: is probably a good way of getting ripped to shreds, but is it generally true that whoever gains more of the center of the board will win the game?

Nope, the problem with the center is also that it takes more moves to claim the same number of points, it's highly inefficient and often looks way bigger than it actually is. Central moyos aren't an invalid strategy or anything but it's a common beginner pitfall because of how large the middle can tend to look and how hard it actually is to claim any truly significant amount. It takes quite a few more stones to make 2 points (a minimally living group) in the center vs the side or corner (in addition to being harder to even live sometimes).

http://senseis.xmp.net/?ClassicalExampleOfCenterVersusSideTerritory
This article on Sensei's has a number of diagrams and chatter on some varying examples.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Kheldragar posted:

Did it still count the territory in seki? Are you even supposed to do that?

It depends on the scoring rules used. Japanese scoring does not count eyes in seki but under Chinese and AGA rules (and probably some others), for example, eyes in seki are worth a point.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
I'll be joining a bit late but I'm planning on being around to watch. I'm sure someone will relay to ITGO. If there isn't one by the time I'm on I'll do it myself.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah feature and playerbase-wise KGS wins hands down. You generally want to get a ton of games in relatively quick to get a grasp on things if you're really new and OGS just doesn't really seem quite as set for that. I'm hoping the KGS HTML client is a tad nicer at least.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

areyoucontagious posted:

So I'm getting a little discouraged. I know you're supposed to lose 100 games, but I feel like after 10-20 I'm not learning anything. I'm studying webpages about go and things like that but the concepts seem to just fly out of my head when I start playing. Is this just perseverance at this point, or do some people (like me) just not get it?

There's a definite element of perseverance at the total beginner stage. It's hard to remember strategy and tesuji and whatever else when you are still trying to get the basic concepts of the game to congeal in your head and can't read ahead very well (or at all.) Playing a lot of games and asking questions about whatever's tripping you up will get you over the initial hump. Are you on KGS and in ITGO? If not, highly recommend doing so. Playing a ton of quicker games as a beginner is easily the best way out of the early funk and stepping towards really understanding what the hell is happening on the board.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Kheldragar posted:

Didn't you tell me reverse sente was a sente move for your opponet but a gote move for you?

Yes, keep in mind reverse sente is only reverse sente for one player's perspective, it's just sente for the other (Xom, in this case). So an opponent's reverse sente is your sente and their gote.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Strange things happen at the 1-2 point.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

Approaching the 3-4 in a low Chinese is weird? :psyduck: There are 125 occurrences in professional play according to Eidogo pattern search, 119 of which have no preparatory move on the lower side. That's of specifically the one-space low approach. 34 of the one-space high, and 5 of the two-space high.

This is the problem with playing little and studying lots, you end up with the impression that books teach you the right moves and that things you haven't seen in a book yet are weird and wrong.

To clarify, the game I was looking at with Khel (and I assume he means this) at least had white immediately attacking the inside like so, not the outside at N4 etc

Absolutely no other moves on the board past whatever white did with his first two, nirensei probably. I only get 7 results for this in my own Kombilo database and black wins 5 of them. :v:

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

DDKs should basically not study fuseki beyond "fourth line is for influence, third line is for territory," because it leads to thinking your opponent is playing badly and you should have a big advantage, when in fact, any loss incurred by the moves is of a magnitude that's made completely irrelevant by the swings that inevitably occur in the middlegame for DDKs.

The fuseki seems more important than it is. Quite often if you're comparing one reasonable move to another reasonable move, it's the equivalent of worrying about whether an endgame move is worth 1 1/3 points or 1 2/3 points.

I don't disagree with this at all honestly but I personally think in this case it is a weird/bad move to be playing right at move 6. I'd argue that coming up 7 times out of 3300 games where black plays low chinese with a majority of the games being the same guy trying it and losing all but two against guys that still haven't made the 9d cut is about as good as not coming up at all. Then to boot it's also the only move 6 approach on the inside of the 3-4 side that even turns up. One- and two-space high on the inside both turn up nothing without play elsewhere first.

I also was curious what you were finding pro-wise because Eidogo doesn't appear to support color locking or restricting who has next move. I turned to Kombilo because a ton of my searches on Eidogo that said this or similar positions came up early in them were actually games where black had a 4-4 3-4 setup and white approached, then black pincers at S9, or actually black approaching a white low chinese type setup at move 40, etc. which aren't really quite the same. I do wish Eidogo had a few more search options.

That said, fuseki is in fact overrated, and reminds me we should all try some Tibetan Go games some time.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

Direction of play problem from my latest game with oiseaux, which should wrap up soon, whereupon I will review as usual.

We've just completed a somewhat unorthodox sequence in the top left. Black has essentially tenukied twice in response to threats against his lone stone on the left side. Is it now time to defend it, and if so, how? Or should Black continue to play elsewhere, content that White probably needs two more moves to capture it outright? If so, what's the biggest area of the board for Black, and what's the worst White can do to him on the left?

Been looking at this for a bit I'm really not sure what I'd do as black here. I kind of like D7 straight up but it doesn't feel like time for it and isn't much faster than E10. Was looking around L17 but I think I'd play S16 instead, and solidify that corner a bit while threatening to attack the white group on the right. Q10 attachment is something I'd consider to try to lean on white and build up the lower right since the position is super low but somewhat ripe for building on. None of these really sing to me though. Would probably settle for S16 because I'm territorial and treat the stone on the left lightly.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

I don't know about Q10. Seems like it might be a thank you move.
S16 is a patient move, and another one I like. It's similar to, but better than what oiseaux played in the actual game, which was R15, White S14, Black S15.

I think this is right about Q10, looking at it again it doesn't really get anything that P9 doesn't and P9 leaves the chance to attack white's group still. I also like your two-space jump better than just going to D7 right now if black is just going to go ahead and start moving over here. I think I'd like D7 better if black could mess with the lower left in sente, then follow with it after.

For black after W4 in the next game sequence, that's rough. I'd leave it for now but if black really wants to make a play, I feel like he can make something of C11. There's room to jump to B7 for some shape, and if white does something normal like solidly extending up to D12 black escapes at F11. White taking F11 in response to C11 feels sharp though. I think black may be able to still work something out but it's a messy fight and I don't think any of this is necessarily wise or worth getting into for black in this position.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
It's actually a fairly modern pattern, or at least gained popularity recently. I've seen a number of variations similar in the past few years.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
http://eidogo.com/#3RB1ZbAhx

May as well put this database to some use. This isn't really a 'Tygem thing', other than apparently they like to press on the extending stone more than the typical bump option if the Sensei's article is right. The direct stand at Black 9 in that diagram isn't the most common, usually Black plays the diagonal a line below Black 9. Threw the position into Kombilo, here's some variations pros are playing in recent years. I have about 430 games with the two-space extension off the attachment to the 3-4. There are a few options there it looks like, but the vast majority entail the bump by white and descent by black, after which options open up again. I didn't go super in depth because many of the branches break apart quickly into instances of less than ten examples or a variety of singleton attempts at new moves with mixed success. Tried to stick to variations with a dozen or more showings for the most part. Just wanted to share since I've been seeing this line more and more and think it's interesting.

Before I go sleep, forgot to add it:

My understanding is that if Black stands instead of the diagonal it's because he wants to follow up at the marked stone later.

WuChou fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 17, 2014

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

That's wild. The Go landscape has really changed a lot since I stopped playing, it seems.

What's it's earliest appearance, does anyone know?

Josekipedia claimed some appearances in the Edo period but my collection doesn't have a ton of those, so the earliest in my results is about 2007, a few instances. In 2008-2009 it gains some ground, Cho U plays it something like a dozen or more times in this timeframe. It starts to pick up steam from there with Korean players primarily, the majority of my hits are games between 2013 and present.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
RIP. drat, indeed.

xopods posted:

RIP. At least he lived to a ripe old age... 106.5 with komi.

:cheers:

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

Xopods Played a Go Game with Xom and You Won't BELIEVE What Happened Next!

(SPOILERS: Not a masterpiece of Go by either of us, but a masterpiece of Go comedy, perhaps.)

I had fun browsing through this one. It kept looking like it was on the way to ending in absolute tragedy and resignation for somebody so I was surprised when it leveled out and got to be so close.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah just go ahead and join us in ITGO and feel free to ask questions. You can also post your KGS user name here and we can go ahead and get you added

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Got you added.

Has anyone noticed that the SA room appears to have vanished off KGS? What did we do to get it deleted? :v:

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Please add me to ITGO and the OGS group as psiduke. Haven't played in a while and I'm trying to get back in the swing of things.

Got you on ITGO

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah it's very board dependent to attack the corner after the kick. You'll actually see the variation lemons posted above a lot with Korean players, in my experience at least. You also do generally want to do the outside attach versus the low extension, rather than the invasion (at the 3-3 point instead of the 2-3 point.)

The basic variations I remember for dealing with the kick. But, as said above, always situational that you even want to do any of this. I just see a lot of players in the DDK range thinking they can kick and it's an instant huge corner and there's nothing you can do about it, when it's pretty easy to at least reduce, just take care of your outside group or as oiseaux said they will probably let you have a gote life and return the favor immediately against your outside stones.
http://eidogo.com/#2bC8JfmKA:0,0

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
I voted R5 because my Kombilo database says it has the highest winning percentage for Black among the available moves at 50.3%, winning by .2% over R9. Games I have with F3 being played, Black wins less than half the time. (47.3%) I'm going to use this database for something useless goddammit.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Negative numbers are kyu ratings, positive numbers are dan ratings, basically. So that'd make you 8-kyu, slightly closer to 7-kyu than 9. A +1.2 would be weaker end of 1-dan, +2.9 would be stronger end of 2-dan, etc. Sigma is basically a confidence rating and factors into the math of your rating changes after games. A higher sigma number = more uncertainty about rating and your rating will change quickly, as you play more games your sigma number will reduce and your rating will change more slowly.

Full write-up on AGA website if you want the nitty-gritty of it: http://www.usgo.org/files/pdf/AGARatings-Simple.pdf

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

CatAteSeven posted:

my gf's goon-dad likes go a lot but has no one to play with, whats the policy on inviting non-SA forum members to the group?

No problem, as Xom says, there's a bunch already. Friends of are totally welcome. Just ask someone in ITGO if there's anyone on who can add or just drop their username here and one of us can add them.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Skynet wins.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Freaksaus posted:

Could you add me the the ITGO list, KGS name is Freaksaus.

Got you

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Added you

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
The beginning of the comeback was when Alphago responded wrongly to the L11 wedge that Lee Sedol played in the top middle.

Demis Hassabis on Twitter posted:

Lee Sedol is playing brilliantly! #AlphaGo thought it was doing well, but got confused on move 87. We are in trouble now...

Mistake was on move 79, but #AlphaGo only came to that realisation on around move 87

Lee Sedol wins game 4!!! Congratulations! He was too good for us today and pressured #AlphaGo into a mistake that it couldn’t recover from

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Added you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Went to add all of the above and looks like someone did it already but didn't post back, you guys should be good. Also, reminder that we're under Clubs instead of Social now.