Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
http://playgo.to/interactive/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xau
Oct 20, 2002

If you play an even teaching game with lloyd and start anywhere but the upper right he will immediately say "WRONG!!" and make you start over. You can find him in the beginner's room, he does teaching games for 1-15kyu players who play ranked games.

Also Lance Kemper (shygost) is a professional go teacher who gives public lessons every Friday at 7pm in LGD. I played my first ever real life game with him, he's a pretty cool guy. I think Battousai 6d also gives public lessons in the Enclave room sometimes.

If you enjoy go lessons like that KGS plus is $15 for 3 months and totally worth it (http://www.gokgs.com/plusSchedule.jsp), and http://internetgoschool.com/ has some free audio lectures.

Are any of you guys going to the US Go Congress? It's in DC this year, August 1-8. http://www.usgo.org/congress/

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Here's the price info for last year, don't think a site is up for this year yet.

https://www.gocongress08.org/faq.php#cost

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Price info for 2009 go congress is up: https://www.usgo.org/congresses/2009/faq.php#cost

quote:

For adults over 22 the registration fee is $260
For youths 22 and under the fee is $130
Adult non-players are $50 and youth non-players are $50.
Prices raise $50 after June 1st and $100 after July 1st

22-and-under price isn't too bad. If any of you guys can make it out to DC but can't cover the registration fee I might be willing to help out, PM me here or nexterh on KGS.

ps hi qxan are you 9d yet

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Zeiros posted:

I do have a question. As a complete and utter beginner is it worth me reading a book at all? or are internet tutorials enough, and the important thing is just to play?
You will always suck and you will never grasp the full depth of the game, so you should never suffer through anything just to improve. If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong. If you enjoy tsumego you will probably enjoy books, if you hate them don't bother.

If you just want to get good enough to play decent games with people, the best thing to do is play games with people.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

For problems I think you're much better off using goproblems.com than a book. You get instant feedback on whether you're wrong without having to look up the full answer, and in many cases they'll even have alternate paths to show why you're wrong. Sometimes there are alternate solutions, possibly with a worse result, that would be missed or omitted in a book. And if you have a question you can ask on the site -- usually someone else already has. Example from Cho Chikun's L&D Encyclopedia.

Sometimes you can also find annotated sgfs of problem collections as well. The only "advantage" books have for problems is forcing you to read like crazy, and you might as well just play an actual game for that.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

When I play with completely new players I usually say: if you can keep a single group alive, you win.

People on KGS are far more likely to give you tips and help you out so you're better off playing there than on yahoo.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

So, I'm gonna be in Denver July 25th-28th, Vegas July 29th-August 3rd, and DC August 4th-9th. Anyone near those areas wanna play go in real irl? I can get day passes for the Go Congress for anyone who can make it out to DC.

I am nexterh ~5k on kgs

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

I always get quite tense during matches. Assuming this isn't totally abnormal, how do you deal with the pressure?
Try playing faster games, and play a little below your skill level. If you always play all your ranked games like they're the final match of the most important tournament in the world, you're going to feel like you have to go all out every other game too. If you get your rank to match your skill level when relaxed you'll be able to play more relaxed games. Also, if things get complicated, you'll learn more and have more fun if you gently caress up and review it later when there's no pressure than if you spend 4 hours biting your nails to find a good move.

Time is the most important factor, to me. The longer a game is, the more invested you are in it. The longer you think about a move, the more obligated you feel to make it a good one. Try ultrablitz - you won't have time to feel tense. Find a happy medium.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

The US Go Congress is Aug 1 - 9 in Fairfax Virginia (DC). The full registration costs almost as much as an anime body pillow, but if there are any ITGO GOONS who want to get in FOR FREE for a day or two to check it out, I can make it happen. You will be able to participate in all the events, including the US Open. They say if you are only coming for a single day, then EARLY Wednesday is your best bet. I'll probably be there the 4th-7th (Tuesday-Friday), but if you show up on other days you can spectate for free or play for $45 (depending how long you're staying). ANYONE can come and even play in the tournaments, even if you just learned about go this morning and play worse than Helsbecter used to.

If anyone actually comes I might even get us a group lesson from a real life professional!!

If you are interested PM me here or email me: nexterh at gmail. There is no need to commit to anything.

Note: You must be an AGA member to participate in rated events! It's $30 for a year, or $10 if you're under 23. link

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Here are my pics from ~*~GOCON~*~. I only had my phone so all the pictures are bad!

This is from the night I arrived. Mystery professional is going over mystery game, while the old dude on the left translates. It is hard to follow. They also did smaller free lectures/lessons in other rooms, where people could present their own games and pros could deride them for being morons.

I got there on "Crazy Go" night. These guys were playing on some kind of huge board, while the people you see behind them were playing some kind of weird blind go thing. I'm not sure I really understood what was going on, but how I remember it is: There were 4 people (black, white, black, white) plus a guy in the center managing things. The manager guy went around clockwise and each person would make a move, and he would tell them if it was ok, illegal, or a capture. I don't think there was any way to know whether your move was illegal because an opponent moved there or because your teammate moved there.

Not pictured: blindfolded go, weird board shapes, 7+ color go, and more!!!

There was this dude with long hair, jacket over his shoulder, fanning himself with one of those foldy asian fan things. I don't know why but it struck me as hilarious and I had to share with you. Dude's probably a goon.

This was from pair go night. Formal dress encouraged. Helopticor and I tried to participate, but the conference director didn't believe me when I insisted that I was a little pink haired girl in real irl. I was apparently hiding behind a wall when I took this.

Um, I think this was more of pair go night.

Here are some asian kids playing on pair go night. I forget if these ones were any good, but there were like 1dan-6dan kids running around. Since these kids appear to be thinking, I think they must be nubs. The real asian dan kids played extremely fast and laughed at each other when they had to stop and think.

TRIP REPORT::
I entered as 7k and played in the Die Hard (4 round all day) tournament on Wednesday. It's the first tournament I ever played in, and I lost all my games! It's really hard to concentrate when other people finish and start getting up and bustling about. I got destroyed my first game, almost won the second but screwed up near the end, lost the third because I screwed up a ko fight to play a super cool move (the other guy was like "that was cool" so it was totally worth it), and by the last game I was too burnt out to even try.

The crowd was pretty nerdy, but there were some interesting people and not very many intolerable people. It's definitely worth checking out for a day or two if you're in the area when it goes on. Swinging for the whole thing is probably not worth it unless you're 1k or better and go gives you boners, or you're making it part of a vacation. You also get a bunch of swag (t-shirt, bag, pin, coin) even if you only register for a day ($40). I think next year's congress is going to be in Denver or Colorado Springs. I will probably go again if the scheduling works out with the conferences work sends me to.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

http://senseis.xmp.net/?Joseki
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Fuseki
http://kgs.fuseki.info/

Here's a page about the 4-4 point, which is the most common opening move:
http://www.chaosophy.net/go/hoshi.html

Stolen from that page, the first joseki sequences most people learn I think:

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Their self-stated entry ranks were 7k, 8k, 8k, and 9k. The 9k won all his games, so the pairing software thing was treating him as 7-8k by the time I played him.

All the games I played were even; I think all the games in the tournament were. Handicaps were required in the self-paired tournament, but I think they are rare in ordinary tournaments.

There is info about the tournament I played in and the other events at the congress here: http://www.gocongress.org/events.php#diehard

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Nobody's going overseas to meet a bunch of super nerds from an internet chat room, just have separate meetups for separate continents sheesh.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

I added a bunch of people to the map whether they like it or not!!

xau
Oct 20, 2002

"Your Go style is actually the best one." :cool:

xau
Oct 20, 2002

If they ask for it quickly, rarely, and especially if it's before you responded, who cares if it's even really a misclick or not? Would you throw a fit if you were playing in real life and someone put a stone on the board, held it there for a second, and then picked it back up? If it slipped out of their fingers would you be like "NO YOU STOPPED TOUCHING IT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT BACK NOW ITS NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE CLUMSY!!"

Sometimes people play on those lovely touchpads that click when they're trying to move. Sometimes beginners don't notice something until they see their stone on the board. A lot of times I accidentally play on the edge when I'm trying to click back to the game window. Who cares why they want to undo? Is winning so important to you that you're willing to ruin the game for the other person to do it? If so, why do you care if they get flustered and storm off, as long as you win right.

I don't think I've ever asked for an undo, but I don't think I've ever denied one either. If you're playing in a tournament or something, it's your call, but in a casual game, yes, you're probably just being a dick.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Stop making it such a big deal. Play a game, have fun, move on. If you play Guitar Hero and don't get a perfect score, do you spend 4 hours going over what you did wrong? If there's a weekly poker game for play money at someone's house, do you buy a bunch of poker puzzle books and study them? Do you hire professional basketball players to come lecture you when you lose a game of horse against your neighbor? Do you force yourself to play Mario Kart at least once a day?

I thought it was the prevalence of rankings that made people take go so seriously, but I met a guy who refuses to play online and has never really played rated games. Yet he still acts like playing is some kind of spiritually fulfilling act, like Catholics going to confession or something. As long as he's playing regularly and trying to improve, even if he doesn't feel like it, somehow that makes everything right in the world. And I wasn't surprised the slightest bit, because everyone who plays go is either asian, over 40, or totally loving psychotic.

Go is a game, it doesn't have any special meaning, it doesn't matter. Play it, enjoy it. Improving your go skills will probably never make any meaningful difference in your life. Sometimes it's fun, but if you're forcing yourself to play or study or do problems or whatever, you're doing it wrong. It's a hobby, not a religion.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

helopticor posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.
I was looking at that other guy when I said all that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xau
Oct 20, 2002

wms created KGS and has been the admin forever. He does not allow anyone else to write clients.