Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

JayMax posted:

The KGS client is great for teaching and learning. It's really well done. I've never seen anything like it for Chess.

ICC's examination mode would be the equivalent for chess, but you have to pay for ICC, whereas KGS is free, which is nice. Actually, the Fritz interface with Playchess.com is probably the closest equivalent, since it can handle variations in analysis.

For anyone who likes chess and isn't sure if they'll like go, I'd definitely recommend it. The two games are different enough that I don't get burned out from playing both - so if I've played way too much chess lately and feel like I don't want to look at a knight ever again, I can keep my brain working by playing some go for a while.

Stronger chess players (and I presume serious players of other abstract board games) seem to have a softer learning curve early on, which is all the more reason to try the game out. I've had a fun time playing it on and off over the last couple of years, and hope I can get up to a nice single-digit kyu rank one of these days (11k on KGS right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I'm actually a paying AGA member, though I haven't used the membership for anything yet. I'd have to go over the the regulations again, but if it's anything like the US Chess Federation, the main benefit of clubs being affiliated with the AGA is being able to run rated events. I believe they also get to vote on stuff, from what I remember.