Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I learned Go a year or two ago and after losing five games on KGS I gave it up until a few weeks ago when my aunt gave me a Go set (along with a 1908 (!) book called "The Game of Go" which was interesting but not especially useful) as a birthday present. Since then I've been playing almost daily (with real pieces, which are about fifty times more satisfying to play with than black and white circle icons) and getting back into it. I'm Foggy on KGS (with a grand total of 0 played games, since they deleted my account or something) and I might be popping online to play a few games and hopefully establish a ranking for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I signed up for a KGS account a while ago, lost a few games, got discouraged, and put it aside. Recently I've been wanting to play again so I fired up CGoban and it matched me with an 18k. Somehow I managed to beat her and I was feeling pretty good about it until I checked her user info.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Sartak posted:

Hey Foggy, you got a problem with her majestys dog?

Oh no, it's Tsubasa Resovoir Chronicals I can't stand.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I was at my college library yesterday looking for a useful go book. While I didn't find any, I did come across something called The Protracted Game; A Wei-chʻi Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman. It's (as you might expect) a detailed analysis of Mao's military strategy and how it uses various go techniques, complete with illustrated go games opposite military maps of occupied territory in China with analogous situations. Worth picking up if you're into completely insane board-game-based military history.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

minute posted:

No, it's okay; the defending side in a war gets 6.5 points komi.

= revisionist historians

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I've been looking at gtl game reviews recently, using glGo to view the sgf files (which is the best program I've found for that purpose). A couple questions, though - first, would it be more useful to read reviews of double-digit kyu players (i.e., players about my level, to see how the reviewers correct bad play) or dan players (to see what good play looks like)? I've looked at both and I've mostly found the lower-level reviews more useful but I want to avoid learning bad habits. Second, are there any reviewers on there that people think are particularly good? Some are lazy (like not using the sgf tools to illustrate possible moves) and some are vague (at least to a low-level player like me), but most of them are pretty good, and I was wondering if anybody either reviewed on there or knew somebody who was good at it.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I've been playing GNU Go on this great website on a 9x9 board just to try to get better at close fighting and life & death (goproblems.com is okay but I find it helpful to have more context and a semi-realistic set of mvoes that led me into the L&D situation). However I cannot for the life of me beat it without giving myself a few handicap stones. Should I just keep at it until I can somewhat consistently keep it from killing my stones over and over? Is that helpful at all? I'd like to play more games on KGS but when I get demolished by 100 points because I'm incompetent at corner fights I feel like I need to work with a computer program that won't mock me.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

WuChou posted:

Really, come play on KGS with us anyways. Getting demolished (or demolishing other starters) is unfortunately the name of the game at the beginner stages. Games are going to be probably 50+ swings for a while until you learn to judge the state of you and your opponents' situations better. We'll also be happy to tailor advice to you, since we can watch you play over time and see if there's anything that is stumping you consistently. If you want to practice with that, that's fine, but I just played a few rounds with it odds are good it's going to outread you on that small board for quite a while. We idle a lot but most people are quite happy to help if you have questions about a situation or game, so give us a yell.

Alright. The other reason I like Gnu Go is because I don't have a lot of big blocks of unbroken time where I can sit down and spend a half hour playing a 19x19 game and then another half hour reviewing it. If I play very conservatively I can usually pull off a corner group (I know the last move was extraneous) but whenever I try anything like an attack I always get punished, which is a little repetitive.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

"sorry I have to go" *resigns*

Nice try. :c00l:

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Textured would be fine if it was brighter and if the white stones didn't all look like AT&T logos.

The eidogo.com look is probably my favorite though

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I got it, but unfortunately in a real game nobody's telling you "psst there's a tesuji here that will win you the game"

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Under 15 posted:

You totally just had one of those games vs Hestler last night

ALL OF MY GAMES ARE LIKE THAT

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I remember reading somewhere that people tend to overestimate the magnitude of vertical distances and underestimate horizontal ones - there are a number of optical illusions that operate on this principle. It would be interesting to do an automatic analysis of pro games comparing identical situations when they occur along the top or bottom of the board versus along the sides.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

If you put it on repeat and listen to it while you sleep you will wake up a go master.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Italo doom trance is the last thing I expected from this thread

Foggy
May 17, 2004

J11?

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Not sure then, I've been reading out J10 and K10 and it doesn't seem like either work

Foggy
May 17, 2004

That's why I'm not 10k :)

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I haven't played in over a month :( I got my rear end kicked by a 22k and got discouraged I guess

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Blendy posted:

I finally did it! I bought a go set. Got it off ebay for only 39.50 after shipping w/ insurance. The guy didn't really know what he was selling so I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, his guess was maple. Anyway it looks good enough to me and it's hard to find a decent set for under $50 before shipping. Now if only I knew some locals that played...

Fake Edit:
Sorry for the double post

That is the exact set my aunt gave me last year (which piqued my interest in the game). Blendy you were meant to be my rival! I'm really sorry I haven't been on

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

are there any famous black go players

They always seem to lose by about 6.5 points :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I don't really have the schedule for live games anymore but if anyone wants to play me on DGS I'd be delighted to lose a game or two

Apparently a 16k there is equivalent to a KGS 11k

The free third party DGS iPhone app is like.. weirdly high quality